Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,868 members, 7,817,565 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:31 PM

Live: NLC Tarrif Protest At AEDC Abuja - Photos - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Live: NLC Tarrif Protest At AEDC Abuja - Photos (18302 Views)

Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria / News: Aedc(abuja Electricity Distribution Company) Office In Bwari Shut Down / NLC Tarrif Protest: Wisdom Or Wickedness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Live: NLC Tarrif Protest At AEDC Abuja - Photos by meforyou1(m): 6:07pm On Feb 08, 2016
sagio09:
They are mostly igbos undecided,anything good dix sidelines are against it.now d increased tariff dat will generate more revenue for d government so that dey will carry their duties along/successful dey re naw against it...issorai sad
so says a known tribalist
Re: Live: NLC Tarrif Protest At AEDC Abuja - Photos by Oz4realsss: 6:21pm On Feb 08, 2016
Keneking:
Jonathan handed over dumb private managers to run our electricity distribution in Nigeria
You are still blaming Jonathan after 9months? This is ridiculous!
Re: Live: NLC Tarrif Protest At AEDC Abuja - Photos by TheAdvocate(m): 6:38pm On Feb 08, 2016
Keneking:
Jonathan handed over dumb private managers to run our electricity distribution in Nigeria

The protest is because of the tariff increased just about 3 weeks ago.
Re: Live: NLC Tarrif Protest At AEDC Abuja - Photos by GoodGovernance: 7:06pm On Feb 08, 2016
Power has been privatised!

You cannot improve power supply at a production cost above the selling price.This is basic economics.

What we should demand for ,is metering of every consumer.

The law of DEMAND and SUPPLY implies that where demand is more than supply,price is bound to go upwards! Supply can only be increased at the appropriate and attractive price.

Then over time when supply is increased,price(tariffs) is also expected to drop gradually.This has happened in the Telecoms sector,it can also happen in the power sector!

ALUTA or activism cannot solve the problem,unless we want to remain where we are,or return power to the government to run 100% at a loss(subsidy).

2 Likes

Re: Live: NLC Tarrif Protest At AEDC Abuja - Photos by blazetitov: 7:25pm On Feb 08, 2016
biteck:

Who ate the cake.

You!! In fact you stole cake via illegal connections grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Live: NLC Tarrif Protest At AEDC Abuja - Photos by FLYFIRE(m): 7:58pm On Feb 08, 2016
Keneking:
Keneking, your case is that of INSANITY
Re: Live: NLC Tarrif Protest At AEDC Abuja - Photos by bishop4life(m): 9:45pm On Feb 08, 2016
blazetitov:
Corrupt NLC. They obviously don't know what it takes in terms of investment to provide stable electricity for a complex society like Nigeria. No investor will want to put his or her money in a business that is not sustainable unless we are asking government to subsidize electricity again. It is capital intensive to generate and distribute electricity. A simple check on google will confirm this. We can't eat our cake and have it. Nigerians should choose between darkness and payment of commensurate fee for electricity.

I pay N4000 every month on electricity and N3500 when i have the time to monitor the usage of power in the house. We need culture change also, the era of leaving your frontage bulb on 24/7 is fast gone.

blazetitov:

I had constant light for 40 hours straight over the weekend. I never said any of the the bolded words. The fact that there are fraudulent activities in the administration of electricity does not debase the fact that it is capital intensive and investors expect returns on their investment. Estimated bills are criminal and i believe the Discos are working hard towards provision of pre-paid meter(which i don't like, i prefer the old one) because it is now a regulatory issue.

I will be glad if you can mention the fact the there are areas where people dont pay electricity bills at all. The remove their wires in the morning and use a long wood to replace it in the evening. Am a living witness of that scenario. lets look at the issue at hand holistically.

Who ate the cake? So when your clients are complaining of bad services the best you can do is increase your charge and give them a promise that with your recent charge,you will see if you can improve you service?
First they should provide prepaid meters .( you said they are working on it,but its false . it takes so little to secure and great percentage already paid for it at rates between 80k-120k. This is an item as cheap as a java phone). When they do the user can den know how to minimize his consumption.
Re: Live: NLC Tarrif Protest At AEDC Abuja - Photos by Chukazu: 9:46pm On Feb 08, 2016
blazetitov:

I had constant light for 40 hours straight over the weekend. I never said any of the the bolded words. The fact that there are fraudulent activities in the administration of electricity does not debase the fact that it is capital intensive and investors expect returns on their investment. Estimated bills are criminal and i believe the Discos are working hard towards provision of pre-paid meter(which i don't like, i prefer the old one) because it is now a regulatory issue.

I will be glad if you can mention the fact the there are areas where people dont pay electricity bills at all. The remove their wires in the morning and use a long wood to replace it in the evening. Am a living witness of that scenario. lets look at the issue at hand holistically.

you seem to be holding forth for the inept and ill-equipped DISCOs.
if we all agree that estimated billing is evil and DISCOS are doing something about it, shouldn't they wait for a tangible results, I meant why put the cart before the horse?
shouldn't they wait for improved distribution of pre-paid meter before embark on arbitrary increase?

that you light for 40hrs in a bounce doesn't mean some pple aren't using candles
Re: Live: NLC Tarrif Protest At AEDC Abuja - Photos by gare(f): 10:32pm On Feb 08, 2016
Keneking:
what is your problem with Jonathan ? Is he the one that increased the tariffs, please be focused and let Jonathan be.
Re: Live: NLC Tarrif Protest At AEDC Abuja - Photos by ASHLAND(m): 10:56pm On Feb 08, 2016
They are not only frustrating the government but unknowingly frustrating themselves as well. It would be better for them/public to pay the increase in the electricity than to pay for generator electricity. The investors must be able to make money from their investments and must have money to update and maintain the system. Electricity is not a cassava or maize; almost all the parts use to generate it are imported--how do we expect it to be cheap and available?
Re: Live: NLC Tarrif Protest At AEDC Abuja - Photos by Nobody: 2:33am On Feb 09, 2016
Abbycite:
That is d kind of stupid protests that derailed every tangible policies of past governments. I dont know how dis pple use their brain, but am sure it is not used optimally. When GEJ attempt subsidy removal, these so-called labour leaders in collaboration with some political dickheads, organize d largest protest ever witnessed in d country. Fastforward to December 2015, we paid dearly for it by purchasing fuel for as high as 500 naira per litre.

If I spent an average of 500 naira per night to power my generator without protesting to anybody, why should I protest a fee increase of 10 naira which acumulate to a sum of 300 naira in a month for 'NEPA'.

You did not analyze well. That 10Naira accumulation will also be added to the 500Naira you will be spending in fueling your generator.
Re: Live: NLC Tarrif Protest At AEDC Abuja - Photos by Nobody: 2:41am On Feb 09, 2016
ASHLAND:

They are not only frustrating the government but unknowingly frustrating themselves as well. It would be better for them/public to pay the increase in the electricity than to pay for generator electricity. The investors must be able to make money from their investments and must have money to update and maintain the system. Electricity is not a cassava or maize; almost all the parts use to generate it are imported--how do we expect it to be cheap and available?

Electricity is generated by the country and distributed by the "investors". - correction

That said, the price of electricity CAN be controlled by the government and made cheaper for the consumers.

We have every source of fuel for generating the electricity power plants in this country: water, coal, crude, air and gas. Some countries have none of them (most EU countries), and they rely on importing them (mostly from Russia, they seek to reduce their dependence in Russia, which is why they brought up the war on Syria, cos Assad refused the Saudis from passing a pipeline through. But I digress). Does that mean the citizens of those countries pay through their nose for electricity?
Re: Live: NLC Tarrif Protest At AEDC Abuja - Photos by Jerryike12(m): 7:08am On Feb 09, 2016
which protest for nija don work angrywhich protest for nija don work
Re: Live: NLC Tarrif Protest At AEDC Abuja - Photos by blazetitov: 7:13am On Feb 09, 2016
Chukazu:

you seem to be holding forth for the inept and ill-equipped DISCOs.
if we all agree that estimated billing is evil and DISCOS are doing something about it, shouldn't they wait for a tangible results, I meant why put the cart before the horse?
shouldn't they wait for improved distribution of pre-paid meter before embark on arbitrary increase?

that you light for 40hrs in a bounce doesn't mean some pple aren't using candles

Well, am not holding forth for them as i dont work with any discos. Am just worried that majority of them are requesting for extension of moratorium from banks that financed them. Before we can enjoy stable electricity, we need to pay for it, the discos cant print naira and dollars to invest in the sector. If after paying a reasonable fee for power and there is still no improvement, then i will be leading the NLC protest.
Re: Live: NLC Tarrif Protest At AEDC Abuja - Photos by ASHLAND(m): 3:44pm On Feb 09, 2016
@ikennaf1. All the fueling products that you mentioned are just secondary product; they all need primary product that must work with, which we still import at expensive price. The current tariff is not bad; people just need to change their attitude and learn to manage electricity in order to pay less.
Re: Live: NLC Tarrif Protest At AEDC Abuja - Photos by Nobody: 4:13pm On Feb 09, 2016
sagio09:
They are mostly igbos undecided,anything good dix sidelines are against it.now d increased tariff dat will generate more revenue for d government so that dey will carry their duties along/successful dey re naw against it...issorai sad

Begone oh son of perdition to the romance section. Fot there will u find your mates...

Just by the way, are y suggesting the masses should suffer by generating revenue for that budget of yams??
Re: Live: NLC Tarrif Protest At AEDC Abuja - Photos by ASHLAND(m): 10:21pm On Feb 09, 2016
GoodGovernance:
Power has been privatised!

You cannot improve power supply at a production cost above the selling price.This is basic economics.

What we should demand for ,is metering of every consumer.

The law of DEMAND and SUPPLY implies that where demand is more than supply,price is bound to go upwards! Supply can only be increased at the appropriate and attractive price.

Then over time when supply is increased,price(tariffs) is also expected to drop gradually.This has happened in the Telecoms sector,it can also happen in the power sector!

ALUTA or activism cannot solve the problem,unless we want to remain where we are,or return power to the government to run 100% at a loss(subsidy).

Your comment is very accurate. I wish every Nigerian can see it the same way you do.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Highlights Of President Muhammadu Buhari #UNGA76 Address, September 24, 2021 / Tinubu: INEC’s Certificate Of Return Is Like World Cup Trophy To Me / Lagos Signs $1.35 Billion Deal For Fourth Mainland Bridge, Other Key Projects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.