Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:04 AM

Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities (4330 Views)

Condition Of Roads In Umuahia And Aba- PIX / Pro-biafra Protest Ground Aba - The Nation / Aba The City Of Glory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by mordsith: 5:06am On Feb 11, 2016
I was born and brought up in Port Harcourt. The reason for this thread is to highlight the history of these two cities which have deep historic, and cultural relations.

The distance from Port Harcourt to Aba is #300 Only or less if you use a bigger bus. I previously travel to Aba to procure books, uniforms and gift Items for the school I was with in P.H.(All schools in PH do such for large jobs.

But of recent call we pay into an account and the goods are picked up at waterlines. Only Diobu boys would understand.

Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by chriskosherbal(m): 5:09am On Feb 11, 2016
Yea real history.

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by mordsith: 5:14am On Feb 11, 2016
Aba is a city in the southeast of Nigeria and the main
trading centre in Abia State . Upon the creation of Abia
state in 1991, Aba was divided into two local
governments areas namely; Aba south and Aba North.
Aba south is the main city centre and the heart beat of
Abia State, south-east Nigeria. It is located on the
Aba River. Aba is made up many villages such as;
Umuokpoji Aba, Eziukwu-Aba, Obuda-Aba, Aba Ukwu
and other villages from Ohazu merged due to
administrative convenience. Aba was established by
the Ngwa clan of Igbo People of Nigeria as a market
town and then later a military post was placed there by
the British colonial administration[1] in 1901. It lies
along the west bank of the Aba River , and is at the
intersection of roads leading to Port Harcourt , Owerri,
Umuahia , Ikot Ekpene , and Ikot Abasi. [2] The city
became a collecting point for agricultural products
following the British made railway running through it
to Port Harcourt . Aba is a major urban settlement and
commercial centre in a region that is surrounded by
small villages and towns. The indigenous people of
Aba are the Ngwa. Aba is well known for its craftsmen.
As of 2004 Aba had an estimated population of
1,020,900. [citation needed]
History
Aba as a City is made up of many villages namely;
Umuokpoji-Aba, Eziukwu-Aba, Obuda-Aba and Aba-
Ukwu but the villages in Ohazu have been merged with
Aba so as to achieve administrative convenience .
Hence the owners of Aba are often referred to as Aba
la Ohazu indigenes and Chief Ogbonna Uruakpa
Nkwoha of Eziukwu Village was the King of Aba and
the only recognised Royal throne by the Queen of
England.
It eventually became an administrative centre of
Britain's colonial government. Aba has been a major
commercial centre since it became part of the old
Eastern region.
The Aro Expedition, which was part of a larger military
plan to quell anti-colonial sentiment in the region,
took place in the area of Aba during 1901 and 1902.
During this military action, the British easily beat the
native Aro people with an unknown number (presumed
to be heavy) of casualties. [3] In 1901, the British
founded a military post in Aba and in 1915, a railroad
was constructed to link it to Port Harcourt, which
transported agricultural goods such as palm oil and
palm kernels.[2] In 1929 Aba was the site of a revolt by
Igbo women, historically known as "The Aba Women's
Riot "[nb 1], a protest of the colonial taxation policy.[5]
The riot started first as a peaceful protest against the
initial census of women in the region, and subsequent
assumed taxation of the women based upon rumour.
The protests spread throughout the palm oil belt, but
remained peaceful until a pregnant woman was
knocked over during a "scuffle", and the lady losing
her child.[6] The news of this "act of abomination"
spread rapidly and violent reactions ensued. After
more deaths, some accidental, some not, occurred, a
mass of 10,000 women marched on Aba. Sources
dispute the numbers of dead, with 55[4] to over 100
being reported.[6] During the height of the Nigerian
Civil War in 1967, the state capital of Biafra was moved
to Umuahia from Enugu. Aba was devastated during
the Biafran War .[7] By the 1930s, Aba was becoming a
large urban community with an established industrial
complex.
Aba is the home of many distinguished families such
as the popular Emejiaka Egbu family of Aba la Ohazu,
Ogbonna family of Eziukwu-Aba, the prestigious Ichita
family of Umuokpoji-Aba,the Omenihu family of
Obuda-Aba, the Ugbor family of Aba-Ukwu, the
Ugwuzor family Umuokpoji Aba, the Ukaegbu family of
Aba-ukwu and so forth.
Economy
Aba is surrounded by oil wells which separate it from
the city of Port Harcourt , a 30 kilometres (19 mi)
pipeline powers Aba with gas from the Imo River
natural gas repository. [2] Its major economic
contributions are textiles and palm oil [1] along with
pharmaceuticals, plastics, cement, and cosmetics
which made the Ariaria International Market to become
the largest market in west Africa seconded by the
onitsha main market . There is also a brewery[1] and
distillery within the city. Finally, it is famous for its
handicrafts. [2]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aba,_Abia

NB. Aba is a huge oil producing area and Ngwa are the indigenous Igbo group of Aba

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by mordsith: 5:15am On Feb 11, 2016
Port Harcourt ( Igbo: Ụ́gwụ́ Ọ́chá;[10][11][12] Pidgin :
Po-ta-kot [3][Note 3]) is the capital of Rivers State ,
Nigeria . It lies along the Bonny River and is located in
the Niger Delta. According to the 2006 census, the
Port Harcourt urban area has a population of
1,382,592. [7]
The area that became Port Harcourt in 1912 was before
that part of the farmlands of the Diobu village group of
the Ikwerre, an Igbo sub-group. [13] The colonial
administration of Nigeria created the port to export
coal from the collieries of Enugu located 243
kilometres (151 mi) north of Port Harcourt, [14] to
which it was linked by a railway called the Eastern
Line, also built by the British.[2][14][15]
In 1956 crude oil was discovered in commercial
quantities at Oloibiri, and Port Harcourt's economy
turned to petroleum when the first shipment of
Nigerian crude oil was exported through the city in
1958. Through the benefits of the Nigerian petroleum
industry, Port Harcourt was further developed, with
aspects of modernisation such as overpasses and city
blocks. [3] Oil firms that currently have offices in the
city include Royal Dutch Shell and Chevron.[16]
The main educational establishment in the city is the
University of Port Harcourt , and the current Mayor of
Port Harcourt is Chimbiko Akorolo. Port Harcourt's
primary airport is Port Harcourt International Airport ,
located on the outskirts of the city; the Nigerian Air
Force (NAF) base is the location of the only other
airport in the city and is used by commercial airlines
Aero Contractors and Virgin Nigeria (now Air Nigeria )
for domestic flights. [17]
Etymology
The port was built in 1912, but not given a name until
August 1913, when the Governor of Nigeria, Sir
Frederick Lugard , named it "Port Harcourt" in honor of
Lewis Vernon Harcourt , then the Secretary of State for
the Colonies .[12] The Igbo name for the city is
Iguocha , a corruption of "Ụ́gwụ́ Ọ́chá".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Harcourt

port Harcourt is the oil Capital of Nigeria and the Ikwerre is the indigenous Igbo group
Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by mordsith: 5:21am On Feb 11, 2016
Bevista mynd44 fire fire dearpreye phockphockman chriskosherbal
Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by SolexxBarry(m): 5:34am On Feb 11, 2016
OK noted,tanx for sharing

2 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by matrix199(m): 5:43am On Feb 11, 2016
From personal experiences, a lot of Rivers state folks are reprobates. Portharcourt most especially, is the Sodom and Gomorra of Nigeria.

Like I said, from personal experiences, I've come to realize most of them lack integrity.
Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by mordsith: 5:56am On Feb 11, 2016
matrix199:

From personal experiences, a lot of Rivers state folks are reprobates. Portharcourt most especially, is the Sodom and Gomorra of Nigeria.
Like I said, from personal experiences, I've come to realize most of them lack integrity.

Guy you no well at all. Seems like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
0.H guys are descent and nice. Honesty and hard work....they're at the top. Can't say such of Lagos where dupe stars are everywhere

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by vikacydevato(m): 5:57am On Feb 11, 2016
You have noble.

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by explorer250(m): 7:41am On Feb 11, 2016
OK, Make I park here
Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by jonathanOz: 7:56am On Feb 11, 2016
Watch how haters will soon invade this harmless thread.
Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by joeprince23(m): 8:30am On Feb 11, 2016
PH is actually a huge market for aba manufactured goods,we in PH will always take a 30mins drive to aba to buy goods scares or costly in PH

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by Know2020: 8:33am On Feb 11, 2016
Very educative for yorubas who think both cities are 1000kms apart.lol. Ask them why do you think so? They will tell you Aba is in SE and Port Harcourt is in SS...Lol. Not knowing that they are only a walking distance away...Keep wasting your time dividing us!

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by cheruv: 8:48am On Feb 11, 2016
Aba and PH has and can form an economic zone...but with the FG stranglehold on seaports, I don't know how it'd be
Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by IGBOPRINCE: 8:53am On Feb 11, 2016
Know2020:
Very educative for yorubas who think both cities are 1000kms apart.lol. Ask them why do you think so? They will tell you Aba is in SE and Port Harcourt is in SS...Lol. Not knowing that they are only a walking distance away...Keep wasting your time dividing us!
the reason is because they don't travel.
Do you know that, from lagos to mowe is almost 250 naira going. Why from lagos to otta, from oshodi side is almost 300naira.
But from imo to porthartcourt is 250/300naira before and even now depending on the vehicle.

Most of the yoruba thought ph is like a big distance from the eastern zone, not knowing it s just a backyard to us cheesy

If not for those that denied igbo cos of the war, this ofemmannu won't have the gut to have a say.

They may own lagos(though own by the aworis), no problems, we also own portharcourt(though own by the ikwerres)no problems too.

God has blessed us and he will continue to blessed us. cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by IgboDelta: 8:56am On Feb 11, 2016
Aba and Port Harcourt are united by ethnicity and business
Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by Lordave: 9:02am On Feb 11, 2016
The creation and existence of Port Harcourt lies on the South East cities of Enugu and Aba and as such, the bond between Aba and Port Harcourt can never be faltered.

4 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by joeprince23(m): 9:06am On Feb 11, 2016
Aba road in PH metropolis is the major artery of portharcourt(one can get a #250 or #300 bus to aba any where along this road) whether in mile1,rumuola,gra,bori-camp,airforce,rumukwurusi,iriebe. Or oyigbo.

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by joeprince23(m): 9:12am On Feb 11, 2016
Apart from east-west road,Aba road in PH metropolis is the major artery of portharcourt city also the busiest,one can get a #250 or #300 bus to aba any where along this road (whether in mile1,rumuola,gra,bori-camp,airforce,rumukwurusi,iriebe Or oyigbo). As a pitakwa boy(PH boy) I dey always frequent aba and owerri in those days to meet my alobams( wene mu abum eze pitakwa, if I dey lie ask william wobodo in omuku onelga)

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by demielvis: 9:41am On Feb 11, 2016
Lordave:
The creation and existence of Port Harcourt lies on the South East cities of Enugu and Aba and as such, the bond between Aba and Port Harcourt can never be faltered.
True

PH was even built from Enugu's coal money.Just like Abuja was built and developed from PH's oil money.

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by Lordave: 9:44am On Feb 11, 2016
demielvis:

True

PH was even built from Enugu's coal money.Just like Abuja was built and developed from PH's oil money.
Yea, but many 'our oil' people don't know that. They think the development of Nigeria started with the discovery of crude oil in Oloibiri.

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by Omololu007(m): 9:48am On Feb 11, 2016
IGBOPRINCE:
the reason is because they don't travel.
Do you know that, from lagos to mowe is almost 250 naira going. Why from lagos to otta, from oshodi side is almost 300naira.
But from imo to porthartcourt is 250/300naira before and even now depending on the vehicle.

Most of the yoruba thought ph is like a big distance from the eastern zone, not knowing it s just a backyard to us cheesy

If not for those that denied igbo cos of the war, this ofemmannu won't have the gut to have a say.

They may own lagos(though own by the aworis), no problems, we also own portharcourt(though own by the ikwerres)no problems too.

God has blessed us and he will continue to blessed us. cheesy

the way some of you kids chat eh!,e they always surprise me.so you don't know you can trek from ojodu berger(lagos state) into ifo(ogun state) without a bus,you can also trek from itokin(lagos) into ogun state...you can trek from odoguyan(lagos state) into ita oluwo(ogun state).

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by IGBOPRINCE: 9:54am On Feb 11, 2016
Omololu007:
the way some of you kids chat eh!,e they always surprise me.so you don't know you can trek from ojodu berger(lagos state) into ifo(ogun state) without a bus,you can also trek from itokin(lagos) into ogun state...you can trek from odoguyan(lagos state) into ita oluwo(ogun state).
all those places re not well know apart from ifo. Re you a gala seller? How come you know the short cut to enter ogun state? Going to mowe ibafo from berger is 150 or 100nairal. But from lagos mainland like iyano oworo,bariga, temple, yaba. It s almost 300naira to mowe or otta .

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by reallest(f): 9:58am On Feb 11, 2016
Know2020:

What has yoruba got to do with dis?

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by iSlayer: 10:33am On Feb 11, 2016
IGBOPRINCE:
all those places re not well know apart from ifo. Re you a gala seller? How come you know the short cut to enter ogun state? Going to mowe ibafo from berger is 150 or 100nairal. But from lagos mainland like iyano oworo,bariga, temple, yaba. It s almost 300naira to mowe or otta .

Are you a gala seller? lol!
Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by iSlayer: 10:36am On Feb 11, 2016
reallest:

What has yoruba got to do with dis?

Yoruba will come to tell Aba to leave Port alone. Because one is SE and other SS,not knowing both are brothers.

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by reallest(f): 10:38am On Feb 11, 2016
iSlayer:

Yoruba will come to tell Aba to leave Port alone. Because one is SE and other SS,not knowing both are brothers.

When will you people stop dis e war?do u gain anything from it,igbo this,yoruba dat,una no dey tire?
Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by iSlayer: 10:46am On Feb 11, 2016
reallest:

When will you people stop dis e war?do u gain anything from it,igbo this,yoruba dat,una no dey tire?

Well,I'm not interested in all this shenanigans. But still I registered yesterday. I'm tired of people bashing my ethnic group while I look on. One side will have to stop this rubbish or more people will "activate" accounts

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by demielvis: 10:55am On Feb 11, 2016
iSlayer:

Well,I'm not interested in all this shenanigans. But still I registered yesterday. I'm tired of people bashing my ethnic group while I look on. One side will have to stop this rubbish or more people will "activate" accounts
It's actually funny how they hate us and turn around to say we hate them...

Tribal bigots all of them
Re: Port Harcourt And Aba............the Tale Of The Two Cities by iSlayer: 11:11am On Feb 11, 2016
demielvis:
It's actually funny how they hate us and turn around to say we hate them...

Tribal bigots all of them
I don't know why they're like this.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Jewish Kingdom Of Arabia / Nigeria VS New York city 2019 Budget, See The Huge Gap / Sharia Police Block Women's Rally In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.