Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,659 members, 7,816,690 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. (43351 Views)

Dino Melaye's Blue Shorts NYSC Outfit Got Him Blasted By Nigerians (Photo) / Power: NewYork Times Shades Nigeria In New Article / What New York Times Said About Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by legaxi(m): 3:13pm On Feb 11, 2016
Vig86:
This is the Nigerian I am. I do not know the Nigerians Buhari was talking about.
Please read the post very well before you comment, it's clearly telling your that Nigerians are the ones patronizing their tertiary institutions more than other countries which is a bad thing and nothing to be celebrated

2 Likes

Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by quickly: 3:16pm On Feb 11, 2016
knightsTempler:
If you are Nigerian, share this picture to your timeline. Let the world know we are a great people. You can choose to see yourself and your country as criminal or choose to project yourself and your country as one of hardworking and motivated people. The choice is yours.

I do not need New York Times to tell me about how upwardly mobile Nigerians are. I look at myself and the search for an improved status in the US and I see other Nigerians doing the same...Igbo, Yoruba, minorities all. I see us and I am proud. However, since New York Times confirms it, I have to agree with them.
I am Nigerian and I am proud.

Copied from Ena Ofugara's timeline.

With all that education we still have fundamental problems like waste management, electricity, under utilization of resources.

Education not applied to solve a practical problem is a waste

3 Likes

Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Nobody: 3:19pm On Feb 11, 2016
legaxi:

Please read the post very well before you comment, it's clearly telling your that Nigerians are the ones patronizing their tertiary institutions more than other countries which is a bad thing and nothing to be celebrated
They are seeking for knowledge, not drugs. I should celebrate them. Mention 7 Nigeria politicians that did not study abroad. Even Buhari did.

1 Like

Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by free2blast(m): 3:21pm On Feb 11, 2016
Stop deceiving yourselves, we all know who each and every one of us are. Im a honest hard working Naija guy but can same be said of you? Yes im talking to you, yahoo boy, kidnapper, armed robber, rapist, drug pusher.

2 Likes

Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by benjanny(m): 3:27pm On Feb 11, 2016
So proud of my country right from the day i was born
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by donralph2000(m): 3:27pm On Feb 11, 2016
knightsTempler:

Strangely Buhari only opens his mouth to spit rubbish when he is abroad. Is that not a sign of inferiority complex?

Less than 3% of Nigerians are Criminals & are Exposed to the outside world. This doesn't make the Majority 97% plus, Criminals. A PATRIOTIC President Must make this distinction & PROMOTE the image of his country! It is a SHAME President Buhari has FAILED the nation in this regard!!!

PMB failed and our immediate president never failed I guess!!

Your comment has got to be #lugubrious. ......and you must be a comedian because your comment is more of a joke! grin. Plz tell me where and where he talked rubbish (according to you). I don't know why some Nigerians are just the way they are.......like seriously. .....President Muhammadu Buhari has failed If FAIL is the new SUCCESS then truly, president Muhammadu Buhari has failed! !!

2 Likes

Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Nobody: 3:32pm On Feb 11, 2016
Karlovich:
And yet a certain man without certificate will label them criminals. Smh
........The Man without Certificate has in the past ruled and is still Ruling those Claiming to Have The So-Called CERTIFICATE grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by donralph2000(m): 3:34pm On Feb 11, 2016
Nigeria is the best blessed among nations but her theme is a joke! Past false administration. ......I hope the change we demanded has come with the present administration.

1 Like

Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by naijacentric(m): 3:36pm On Feb 11, 2016
good but wen would all this education translate to naija's development

2 Likes

Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Nobody: 3:38pm On Feb 11, 2016
Karlovich:

Its not his fault. He does not read.

Illiteracy nah disease..
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by foriz4u(m): 3:38pm On Feb 11, 2016
PayPalKing:

It's not his fault. Shey na we make mistake vote am in. 2019 is around the corner sad
na una vote am o me I no vote am... 2019 u better evaluate wisely vote wisely. but I hope he fights d corruption deeply n wins ur heart agains
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by mrkings84(m): 3:42pm On Feb 11, 2016
No one should blame buhari, we knew from the onset who he is, an illiterate warlord!! What did u expect from him?
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Naomite(f): 3:44pm On Feb 11, 2016
Lilimax:
Nigeria is a blessed country endowed with human and material resources;
Just that we have been very unfortunate in electing good leaders embarassed

Waiting for the day when majority of those criminals in power will be no more and only those with the fear of God
will be leading this nation but it is a good thing most of them are being exposed. shocked

It shall happen one day and in this generation.
I am very optimistic! smiley
That day will not come until we do what ghaninians did. (Eliminate d corrupt leaders)

2 Likes

Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Nobody: 3:45pm On Feb 11, 2016
@ bigfrancis21 and @. musicwriter

WHy do you guys keep acting like I deny the success of Nigerians in America? It seems my topic went over you guys head and instead took it as me bashing Nigerians.

My topic was addressing that you CANT compare a small population of 277k(Nigerian Americans) vs 40 million(African Americans) and then say there are more successful Nigerians in America than AAs. I'm getting tired of repeating this. The pic only proves my point by saying Nigerians are only 1% of the black population.

1 Like

Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Eluwilussit(m): 3:47pm On Feb 11, 2016
Karlovich:

Because he doesn't have even Nepa Bill. Dem no dey pay for light for north na! Abi dem don start? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by brojoshua: 3:52pm On Feb 11, 2016
[color=#006600][/color]
Keneking:
Nigerians are indeed doing well
If the post is true, then what do we say? I a disciple of Christ the Son of God and also a servant of God, and taking of countries, I say that Nigerians are exactly what they are.
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by musicwriter(m): 3:55pm On Feb 11, 2016
KidStranglehold:
@ bigfrancis21 and @. musicwriter

WHy do you guys keep acting like I deny the success of Nigerians in America? It seems my topic went over you guys head and instead took it as me bashing Nigerians.

My topic was addressing that you CANT compare a small population of 277k(Nigerian Americans) vs 40 million(African Americans) and then say there are more successful Nigerians in America than AAs. I'm getting tired of repeating this. The pic only proves my point by saying Nigerians are only 1% of the black population.

I think you're the one not understanding your own theories.

What's the ratio of AAs educational qualifications to Nigerians in America?. In short, let's forget about AAs. Let's talk about the entire US.

What's the ratio of all US educational qualifications to Nigerians in America?. The answer to this question will let you know Nigerians stand out.

Nigerians are also educated at home!.

Students's from the state of Anambra (one of 36 states in Nigeria) just won a recent world debate among secondary schools. Google it.

2 Likes

Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Zellie: 3:55pm On Feb 11, 2016
Unfortunately the President thinks otherwise
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by henrybomb(m): 3:57pm On Feb 11, 2016
knightsTempler:
If you are Nigerian, share this picture to your timeline. Let the world know we are a great people. You can choose to see yourself and your country as criminal or choose to project yourself and your country as one of hardworking and motivated people. The choice is yours.

I do not need New York Times to tell me about how upwardly mobile Nigerians are. I look at myself and the search for an improved status in the US and I see other Nigerians doing the same...Igbo, Yoruba, minorities all. I see us and I am proud. However, since New York Times confirms it, I have to agree with them.
I am Nigerian and I am proud.

Copied from Ena Ofugara's timeline.

That is the naija spirit
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Nobody: 4:10pm On Feb 11, 2016
musicwriter:

I think you're the one not understanding your own theories.

What's the ratio of AAs eduational qualifications to Nigerians in America?. Nigerians are also educated at home!.

Students's from the state of Anambra (one of 36 states in Nigeria) just won a recent world debate among secondary schools. Google it.

No, I understand what I am saying. You're still not as for as the bolded. Again you keep comparing a small population to a large one. I don't know how many times I can say this. For example city A will have more murder rates than city B, because city A is much more smaller than city B. Get what I am saying now?

Now you're bringing up Nigerians back home? Cool, a better comparison would be comparing Nigeria to other nations in education and not just one ethnic group in America. Most educated nations.
http://www.educationnews.org/higher-education/most-educated-countries/
http://world.bymap.org/LiteracyRates.html
http://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/the-14-most-educated-countries-in-the-world-346448/

1 Like

Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by agabaI23(m): 4:12pm On Feb 11, 2016
PayPalKing:

It's not his fault. Shey na we make mistake vote am in. 2019 is around the corner sad
Na you not me. You were warned..
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by musicwriter(m): 4:16pm On Feb 11, 2016
KidStranglehold:

No, I understand what I am saying. You're still not as for as the bolded. Again you keep comparing a small population to a large one. I don't know how many times I can say this. For example city A will have more murder rates than city B, because city A is much more smaller than city B. Get what I am saying now?

Now you're bringing up Nigerians back home? Cool, a better comparison would be comparing Nigeria to other nations in education and not just one ethnic group in America. Most educated nations.
http://www.educationnews.org/higher-education/most-educated-countries/
http://world.bymap.org/LiteracyRates.html
http://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/the-14-most-educated-countries-in-the-world-346448/

I rephrased my previous post. Let's talk about the entire US.

Check it and let me know the ratio of educated Nigerians to all US educational qualifications.
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by ooshinibos: 4:19pm On Feb 11, 2016
YOU just wonder why all these education has not benefitted the motherland Nigeria ..maybe that's that problem too many degrees and book ...you will not see us in apprentice and skilled practical labor which will benefit Nigeria ...
for example Dangote he employs loads of people but no major Harvard degree really ..he is are product of learn and do ..apprenticeship proper

2 Likes

Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by grandstar(m): 4:23pm On Feb 11, 2016
Karlovich:

He never did. He was deliberately misquoted.Note : I am not his fan

2 Likes

Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Nobody: 4:25pm On Feb 11, 2016
musicwriter:

I rephrased my previous post. Let's talk about the entire US.

Check it and let me know the ratio of educated Nigerians to all US educational qualifications.

Do you mean the ration of Nigerians in America? Nigerians are obviously the most educated(smaller population like Asians).

If we're talking about the entire USA vs Nigeria, then USA beats Nigeria. Only because the USA is much more developed than Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Nobody: 4:26pm On Feb 11, 2016
ooshinibos:
YOU just wonder why all these education has not benefitted the motherland Nigeria ..maybe that's that problem too many degrees and book ...you will not see us in apprentice and skilled practical labor which will benefit Nigeria ...
for example Dangote he employs loads of people but no major Harvard degree really ..he is are product of learn and do ..apprenticeship proper

That's the million dollar question. But I am seeing more educated Nigerians move back to Nigeria and contribute.
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by wazobiaN9(m): 4:35pm On Feb 11, 2016
PayPalKing:

Ok boy, wu are you rooting for? Saraki, Atiku... Wu??
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Ijaya123: 4:41pm On Feb 11, 2016
Karlovich:

Point of correction, he never did. Stop being mischievous.
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by musicwriter(m): 4:41pm On Feb 11, 2016
KidStranglehold:

Do you mean the ration of Nigerians in America? Nigerians are obviously the most educated(smaller population like Asians).

If we're talking about the entire USA vs Nigeria, then USA beats Nigeria. Only because the USA is much more developed than Nigeria.

No, you don't understand.

Assuming there're 1,000 Nigerians in America, and you have to randomly select from any 1,000 Americans (black or white). Your sample is still going to find more educated Nigerians. I didn't know that today, so there's nothing new anybody would tell me.

Sorry, I'm busy at the moment trying to write code for an app. Finally found a good source code to use. Will not have time to follow on. See you later.

1 Like

Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by FmO4(m): 4:45pm On Feb 11, 2016
Strangely Buhari only opens his mouth to spit rubbish when he is abroad. Is that not a sign of inferiority complex?
Less than 3% of Nigerians are Criminals & are Exposed to the outside world. This doesn't make the Majority 97% plus, Criminals. A PATRIOTIC President Must make this distinction & PROMOTE the image of his country! It is a SHAME President Buhari has FAILED the nation in this regard!!! Instead@of u to correct Buhari,u are worsening situation,well, God bless Nigeria.
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by ooshinibos: 4:49pm On Feb 11, 2016
KidStranglehold:

That's the million dollar question. But I am seeing more educated Nigerians move back to Nigeria and contribute.

good to hear , that's a good trend , once Nigeria has sorted out the electricity , security and infrastructure issues more people will move back ..( including me )
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Pres1: 4:52pm On Feb 11, 2016
SylarsMcQuins:
Some people will still come and derail this thread.
Especially those that have nightmares of IPOB youths and Wailers...
That's what you are doing already bro, pls don't spoil the joy in our greatness, in that article we were recognized as one entity Nigeria. Let's be proud of ourselves as Nigerians. Long live Nairaland, long live Nigeria! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Boko Haram Kills Captain Anthony Tekemeka In Borno (photo) / Internally Generated Revenue Compared To Federal Allocation Of States 2020 / Bayo Omoboriowo Prostrates To Greet Buhari; Celebrates President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.