Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,489 members, 7,816,155 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. (43346 Views)

Dino Melaye's Blue Shorts NYSC Outfit Got Him Blasted By Nigerians (Photo) / Power: NewYork Times Shades Nigeria In New Article / What New York Times Said About Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by persius555(m): 5:11pm On Feb 11, 2016
If only nigerians know the potential this country holds. The entire black race looks up to us to get it right so that others can also follow.
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Nobody: 5:30pm On Feb 11, 2016
musicwriter:

No, you don't understand.

Assuming there're 1,000 Nigerians in America, and you have to randomly select from any 1,000 Americans (black or white). Your sample is still going to find more educated Nigerians. I didn't know that today, so there's nothing new anybody would tell me.

Sorry, I'm busy at the moment trying to write code for an app. Finally found a good source code to use. Will not have time to follow on. See you later.

We have to factor in class though since you said "randomly selected". Education could depend on class and a persons financial state.

Anyways good luck with the app. smiley
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Nobody: 5:41pm On Feb 11, 2016
With all dis education, we can't produce anything. Shame
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by BuddhaPalm(m): 5:59pm On Feb 11, 2016
PayPalKing:

It's not his fault. Shey na we make mistake vote am in. 2019 is around the corner sad

E go hard to use vote commit this man o.
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by erico2k2(m): 6:07pm On Feb 11, 2016
knightsTempler:
If you are Nigerian, share this picture to your timeline. Let the world know we are a great people. You can choose to see yourself and your country as criminal or choose to project yourself and your country as one of hardworking and motivated people. The choice is yours.

I do not need New York Times to tell me about how upwardly mobile Nigerians are. I look at myself and the search for an improved status in the US and I see other Nigerians doing the same...Igbo, Yoruba, minorities all. I see us and I am proud. However, since New York Times confirms it, I have to agree with them.
I am Nigerian and I am proud.

Copied from Ena Ofugara's timeline.

But we are criminals nah.is that not what PMB said
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Orikinla(m): 6:17pm On Feb 11, 2016
Great. They cannot afford to fail and be disgraced.
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Nobody: 6:20pm On Feb 11, 2016
charliboy654:
With all dis education, we can't produce anything. Shame
There was made in Aba trade fair.
Step out of your bubble

1 Like

Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by adconline(m): 6:34pm On Feb 11, 2016
Kullant:
........The Man without Certificate has in the past ruled and is still Ruling those Claiming to Have The So-Called CERTIFICATE grin grin grin
That's why he should be ashamed of ruining the country with fellow elites.. A man who doesn't know the meaning of " inclusive" has no business being the president of Naija...
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by horbafemie(m): 7:19pm On Feb 11, 2016
knightsTempler:

Strangely Buhari only opens his mouth to spit rubbish when he is abroad. Is that not a sign of inferiority complex?

Less than 3% of Nigerians are Criminals & are Exposed to the outside world. This doesn't make the Majority 97% plus, Criminals. A PATRIOTIC President Must make this distinction & PROMOTE the image of his country! It is a SHAME President Buhari has FAILED the nation in this regard!!!

Do u even know what you are saying at all?...3%? I guess it mst be u , ur dad and mum.

Pls ask an average youth (btw d ages of 12-24) why dey wld want any political position...Haaaa! I want to chop my share of the national cake ni ooo...I just askd the guy beside me
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Nobody: 8:51pm On Feb 11, 2016
The problem with some people is that we always like to see the world from our own little corner, this man is the president, he must have heard a lot of things about his country men that nobody will say out in public. He knows exactly what he's talking about when he made his statement. I have noticed one problem with us Nigerians, we run away from our problems and pretend it's not in existence as opposed to confronting them head on with the intent to solve them, that attitude is still keeping the most populous black nation in world in dark ages.
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Nobody: 8:55pm On Feb 11, 2016
horbafemie:

Do u even know what you are saying at all?...3%? I guess it mst be u , ur dad and mum.

Pls ask an average youth (btw d ages of 12-24) why dey wld want any political position...Haaaa! I want to chop my share of the national cake ni ooo...I just askd the guy beside me
I'm not a fan of Buhari, though I like his understanding of the basic purpose of our existence as humans, but I don't understand why his so called supporters don't even know know jack about him and the manner of man he is.
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by DKOKO3(m): 8:56pm On Feb 11, 2016
Karlovich:
And yet a certain man without certificate will label them criminals. Smh

I am highly disappointed in you. Why? Interpretation of English Language is your problem. Go and read the interview over and over again, maybe this time your brain will be open to comprehend and figure the context in which the word criminals was used.

Don't be parochial when it comes to national issues. Its enough to instigate violence to gullible audience or readers like you.
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by tartar9(m): 9:07pm On Feb 11, 2016
that's simply because the better Nigerians are leaving d country.come to Nigeria and see the real us.
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by odehman: 9:34pm On Feb 11, 2016
Karlovich:
mumu WANITE..... W.A.N WAILERS ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by bigfrancis21: 10:02pm On Feb 11, 2016
KidStranglehold:
@ bigfrancis21 and @. musicwriter

WHy do you guys keep acting like I deny the success of Nigerians in America? It seems my topic went over you guys head and instead took it as me bashing Nigerians.

My topic was addressing that you CANT compare a small population of 277k(Nigerian Americans) vs 40 million(African Americans) and then say there are more successful Nigerians in America than AAs. I'm getting tired of repeating this. The pic only proves my point by saying Nigerians are only 1% of the black population.

I've told you repeatedly not to compare the tiny fraction of Nigerians in the US against the ENTIRE AA population, which is a biased comparison. Now if you will agree with me, compare the entire AA population of 45 million with the entire Nigerian population of 170 million. Mind you here that the smaller population of AAs should favour them with a higher percentage of college graduates than Nigerians right? However, the case is not so. In Nigeria alone, at least 40% to 60% of Nigerians (i.e. at least 68 million of Nigerians) have college degrees. As a percentage of the entire AA population, the last figure gives 18% (or 8 million AAs) with college degrees.

To be honest, the way I have studied probability from my secondary school days is, the higher the sampling population, the higher the chances of an observation. Succinctly put, the more the population, the higher the chances or probability of a phenomenon occurring or the more you see more and more of a phenomenon. For example, if 2 in 10 people are of B blood group, then for 100 people, 20 would be B blood group, for 1000, that would be 200, for 10,000 people, that would be 2,000 and so on. That is, the higher the population, the higher the chances. Thus, if you insist on comparing the AA population with the Nigerian population in the US, with the higher population figure of AAs (45 million) compared to the Nigerian American population of 200,000 to 400,000 as you are wont to, mathematically we SHOULD expect higher college degree percentages for AAs compared to Nigerians for the reason simply being that the more the population of AAs in America, the more you should find more people going to college. As statistics show, this is not the case in reality.

To be honest, I feel you are indirectly trying to downplay the Nigerian success story in America, while not being direct about it. Like I told you before, the Nigerian immigrant success story is not just peculiar to the US, but has been reported in other countries as well where Nigerians are known to be excelling. Countries such as the UK, South Africa, Canada etc. This goes to tell you that it is the ambition or drive for education or success that drives these success stories. The 'small' vs 'big' figures you keep mentioning is not even the main issue.

The Nigerian culture is one of competition, aggressiveness, ambition, penchant for success, positive outlook on life, perseverance etc. Growing up in Nigeria is a tough preparation for life ahead. Life in Nigeria makes you tough-skinned, aggressive, strong-minded, confident and prepared for life. The last thing you'd hear about Nigerians is killing oneself out of depression. What is depression? The life yet to come is so bright, brighter than the midday sunlight that you'd kill yourself. This is something many other blacks don't often realize about Nigerians. Nigerians often have this saying that if you can come to the US and not succeed, then something must be wrong with you, in reference to the tougher realities of life in Nigeria than America. Or if you can make it in Nigeria, you can make it anywhere else in the world. To be honest, I never got to appreciate my Nigerian upbringing or growing up in Nigeria until I got here to the US.

The Nigerian success story is one that should not be downplayed. Nigerians in America have achieved a reputation for themselves. Some Nigerians have noted that being Nigerian or mentioning being Nigerian, foreign-born and US-born Nigerians alike, often gives them an advantage in the job selection process, because prospective employers automatically 'assume' you smart, capable, and intelligent. These stereotypes coming from the interaction of these employers with other Nigerians that they have met or known.

1 Like

Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by ronaldbecky(m): 10:42pm On Feb 11, 2016
Karlovich:
lolz....u misquote him.
he said Nigerian are criminals bt he is nt a criminal bt a nigerian
so jus cum out and defend urself. i am nt a criminal grin
Karlovich:
lolz....u misquote him.
he said Nigerian are criminals bt he is nt a criminal bt a nigerian
so jus cum out and defend urself. i am nt a criminal
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Hautside(m): 12:50am On Feb 12, 2016
If you can score an "A" in "O level chemistry" while studying in Nigeria (where they only tell you in class that Cu is blue in colour and Aluminium doesnt react with Trioxonitrate v acid), What will you score in Newyork? (where you get to see Cu yourself and also witness these reactions in the laboratory). Its easier to remember what you see than what you are taught.

Whites cant attend our public schools here and pass the way we do.

We are more intelligent. The problem is just that the play ground is not leveled...LOL
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by sweetgala(m): 1:40am On Feb 12, 2016
Karlovich:

Advanced education does not exclude one from criminality, some of the armed robbers, all our politicians, many cultists have third level education which the average senior high dropout white criminals can not aspire to.

1 Like

Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by purplekayc(m): 8:15am On Feb 12, 2016
Something good finally undecided
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Nobody: 8:37pm On Feb 12, 2016
What is it with this Lalasticlala you people call as if dem swear for una,what does it mean?very annoying,
Liberty101:
We dn hear

Lalasticlala come and tell the world grin
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Liberty101: 8:46am On Feb 13, 2016
uplawal:
What is it with this Lalasticlala you people call as if dem swear for una,what does it mean?very annoying,
Is he your husband , your father or your brother? No

So why are you pained ?
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Nobody: 11:25pm On Apr 12, 2017
do u know y Africa has not progressed? its becos Nigeria is still sleeping , wen Nigeria wakes up then Africa will progress. d whole world knows dat d destiny of africa rest on nigerias palms , just like China is for Asia
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Nobody: 11:32pm On Apr 12, 2017
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Nobody: 11:35pm On Apr 12, 2017
Nigeria has a lot of potential to become d greatest nation , that's y america and UK wants Nigeria to keep sleeping , cos they know that wen Nigeria wakes up, we will become greater than dem .

im yet to see a country that is as blessed as Nigeria , we have everytin and I min evertin

i love nigeria, and i believe that nigeria will become great
Re: What The NewYork Times Said About Nigerians. Photo Attached. by Nobody: 11:38pm On Apr 12, 2017
Braden6:
That's because immigrants are usually looking in from the outside and usually have purpose and ambition than the natives. African Americans where enslaved,disenfranchised and suppress and that has caused a lot of generational damage which will take a while to heal. Even a 2nd generation African Immigrant may still not relate with the African American outlook because it's familial. But as times goes by,the African Americans will learn from their African cousins that it can be done .
There may be more Nigerians in a given list,but that's simply because Nigeria is the most populated black nation . certainly ,you can't expect that there'll be more Senegalese,Jamaican or Gabonese on any list of black achievements.
that's one of d good things of being blessed with human resources. u will have extraordinary people

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Meet Folashade Adeleke's Son, Kobe, Her 1st Child Out Of Wedlock / Soldiers Stop Lagos Judicial Panel From Accessing Military Mortuary / I May Be Arrested Soon – Dino Melaye Cries Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.