Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa (39113 Views)

Ambode And Soyinka At Boxing Match Between Tinubu & Holyfield / Amaechi And Prof Soyinka At The N82Million Dinner Party - Photos / Obasanjo, Shehu Yar'adua And T.Y. Danjuma At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Frankiss44(m): 12:32pm On Feb 12, 2016
aalangel:

And the Hausa man they went to beg refused.

Lol
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Frankiss44(m): 12:34pm On Feb 12, 2016
mapet:

In fact they were very good family friends

I just weak for some people oh... S ee the way he said it as if he has evidence to show they were enemies..
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Intrepid01(m): 12:44pm On Feb 12, 2016
Frankiss44:

Wow... Here comes another revelation. Are you trying to say IBB was innocent in the whole Vatsa saga?

Well according to Wole Soyinka in his book "You must set forth at dawn"
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Tobyshegz(m): 1:05pm On Feb 12, 2016
Chinua Achebe √√ Wole Shoyinka √√ ..Jp.... Wait wait wait!!... That must have being Olamide's dad or somethin' !!
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by BenBruce4Presdt(f): 1:21pm On Feb 12, 2016
Frankiss44:

Wow... Here comes another revelation. Are you trying to say IBB was innocent in the whole Vatsa saga?

I heard that once and you are right, but that Abacus was more powerful than IBB was not correct..
That Soyinka thought was completely misplaced.

Vasta was killed for more personal reason than national..Hus cup was full and that was even the more reason he contributed to the coup..
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by hitleraldof(m): 2:03pm On Feb 12, 2016
cuvox:
before Achebe and Soyinka turned enemies
nairaland tribal war has washed your brain

1 Like

Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Mhudi: 2:39pm On Feb 12, 2016
Frankiss44:
This explained the one Nigeria of old, it was genuine and pure.. Unlike what we have now.. Yoruba man and Igbo man going to beg for the release of a HAUSA man
Please, know your country's history and structure well. Not everybody from Northern Nigeria is Hausa and late Mamman Vatsa from Niger State and Even IBB are not Hausas. The Hausa language is widely spoken and the lingua franca of most parts of Northern Nigeria. Your Yoruba and Igbo duo only went to beg IBB because the late Vatsa was one of them. A poet.
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by hmuhammad(m): 2:54pm On Feb 12, 2016
Frankiss44:
This explained the one Nigeria of old, it was genuine and pure.. Unlike what we have now.. Yoruba man and Igbo man going to beg for the release of a HAUSA man
vatsa is not hausa but Nupe man. You can't refer to an ijaw man as Ibo

2 Likes

Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by veraponpo(m): 3:00pm On Feb 12, 2016
Frankiss44:

It is still happening now only our Igbo people don't do it any more.

Soyinka, Tunde Bakare and others still fought for Jonathan enthronement when Yar adua was sick.

Falana still advocated for the release of court-martialled soldiers, majority of who are Hausas.
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Frankiss44(m): 3:03pm On Feb 12, 2016
hmuhammad:
vatsa is not hausa but Nupe man. You can't refer to an ijaw man as Ibo

Noted Boss.. We from the other side of the Niger area see every northerner as Hausa. An innocent mistake

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Frankiss44(m): 3:04pm On Feb 12, 2016
Mhudi:

Please, know your country's history and structure well. Not everybody from Northern Nigeria is Hausa and late Mamman Vatsa from Niger State and Even IBB are not Hausas. The Hausa language is widely spoken and the lingua franca of most parts of Northern Nigeria. Your Yoruba and Igbo duo only went to beg IBB because the late Vatsa was one of them. A poet.

Thank you very much. I appreciate.
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Frankiss44(m): 3:07pm On Feb 12, 2016
veraponpo:

It is still happening now only our Igbo people don't do it any more.

Soyinka, Tunde Bakare and others still fought for Jonathan enthronement when Yar adua was sick.

Falana still advocated for the release of court-martialled soldiers, majority of who are Hausas.

This is the tribalism am talking about. You have rushed to defend your own tribe even though you know, just like everyone that the tribal issue thing has eaten deep into our country like a cancer. Now you have sighted your example using Soyinka and Bakare.. Isn't Ekweremadu supporting Saraki, does that rule out the fact that tribal sentiments isn't killing us?
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by 1kinggy(m): 3:38pm On Feb 12, 2016
doublewisdom:

Because Soyinka could not control his jealously of Achebe's achievements. The reference to Achebe as the father of African literature almost made Soyinka run mad with envy. grin grin

Unfounded lies.
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by danidee10(m): 5:49pm On Feb 12, 2016
247notire:
Let me educate u. when we say the north has always been the problem of nigeria it is not by who has been president in what times. It's the fact that any tym they are in power, the kind of massive corruption and enrichment of themselves and their cronies that happen is bewildering. Also, they will always be against anything that will cause the country to be restructured cos as it stands, the country's current lopsided structure has always favoured them. They are also very violent and have caused the death of too many Nigerians, esp of southern origin. their born to rule mentality also does not help. I hope u understand a bit now?

Ok...thanks i wasn't born before the periods that I want to list but from what I've read and heard Let me separate the northern looters and others (the ones I know)

Shehu shagari
IBB cool
Abacha cool cool

Others
Obj cool cool cool
GEJ cool cool cool cool

Others looted but these ones here were senior men in looting

In my opinion the looted money from obj and Gej is more than what the others looted....feel free to correct me
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by 247notire(m): 6:25pm On Feb 12, 2016
danidee10:

Ok...thanks i wasn't born before the periods that I want to list but from what I've read and heard Let me separate the northern looters and others (the ones I know)

Shehu shagari
IBB cool
Abacha cool cool

Others
Obj cool cool cool
GEJ cool cool cool cool

In my opinion the looted money from obj and Gej is more than what the others looted....feel free to correct me

You just began following politics in 2015 apparently. Look, the problem of nigeria is much deeper than corruption. The system was made so that the south would perpetually be under the north. We need to reconfigure our system of government and balance some things. Our problems are far beyond corruption and looting. As for ur belief, ur entitled to it. Forget all the noise, you can never ever ever compare looting that went on in a military regime and that of a democracy, and u should know why. Why did u leave out Buhari and Gowon and even Abdusalami? Don't u knw they were even as bad as the rest of them? You, as most youths today, don't know much truth about our history. Explaining all these would be a history course on its own. You need to get conversant with ur past so u'll know where ur future should go, if not u'll become a victim of APC brainwash and propaganda.
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by CHAIRMAN1(m): 6:35pm On Feb 12, 2016
The third guy is JP Clark; an equally renowned poet back in the day.
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Nobody: 6:53pm On Feb 12, 2016
christopher okigbo was also good
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by danidee10(m): 7:26pm On Feb 12, 2016
247notire:
You just began following politics in 2015 apparently. Look, the problem of nigeria is much deeper than corruption. The system was made so that the south would perpetually be under the north. We need to reconfigure our system of government and balance some things. Our problems are far beyond corruption and looting. As for ur belief, ur entitled to it. Forget all the noise, you can never ever ever compare looting that went on in a military regime and that of a democracy, and u should know why. Why did u leave out Buhari and Gowon and even Abdusalami? Don't u knw they were even as bad as the rest of them? You, as most youths today, don't know much truth about our history. Explaining all these would be a history course on its own. You need to get conversant with ur past so u'll know where ur future should go, if not u'll become a victim of APC brainwash and propaganda.

Why are you repeating what I clearly told u....i was not born then so how should I know abt all these...thanks for your short explanation
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by 247notire(m): 7:32pm On Feb 12, 2016
danidee10:

Why are you repeating what I clearly told u....i was not born then so how should I know abt all these...thanks for your short explanation
How old are you sorry? No offense but u strike me as a teenager. You don't need to have been born in 1970 to know what happened in 1970, not when there are books and accounts of the civil war... U catch my drift? Learn to spend more time reading history, the rewards are immeasurable...
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Caseless: 11:09pm On Feb 12, 2016
Intrepid01:

Caseless, BenBruce4Presdt and Frankiss44..............You all need to read Soyinka's "You must set forth at dawn"....you'll know IBB wasn't who we think he is...........Decision to kill Mamman Vatsa was vehemently opposed by IBB but Abacha insistedthey must die. Abacha was actually more powerful than IBB in the supreme military council.
I don't believe that . Even mamman vatsa's mom went to beg ibb at aso villa , he turned her down by saying , "he's not the one in charge- it's the government". She even went further to tell him he's your brother.

Even domkat Bali said there was no evidence against vatsa , but he had to obey the order.

Go and find that interview his widow granted in that documentary aired by AIT in 2011 .
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Caseless: 11:11pm On Feb 12, 2016
mazizitonene:
and this man is still alive, always recognised, enjoying himself till tomorrow with all the atrocities he committed.....sometimes I begin to wonder.....seems being the bad guy really pays more undecided
true!
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by BenBruce4Presdt(f): 5:57am On Feb 13, 2016
danidee10:

Shehu shagari
IBB cool
Abacha cool cool

Others
Obj cool cool cool
GEJ cool cool cool cool

If I catch u with this ur lopsided list.. C'mon complete the list before 1999..
Don't forget to mention Buhari.. See trick!
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by BenBruce4Presdt(f): 6:00am On Feb 13, 2016
Wow some people later turned this thread to tribal bashing fertile ground.. Very unfortunate.
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by Emmanes: 2:14pm On Aug 20, 2017
[quote author=duro4chang post=42847970]
They were not enemies.There might be some difference which is normal.[/quote I GUESS U AV NOT HEARD WERE SOYINKA ACCUSED ACHEBE OF WRITTING MARKET WOMEN LITERATURE. DAT IS AN INSULT ON D PERSONAGE OF ACHEBE
Re: Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa by duro4chang(m): 11:13pm On Sep 04, 2017
[quote author=Emmanes post=59655159][/quote]
That does not make them to be enemies.If you do somethinh which I do not approve and I oppose it xoes not make us to be enemies.We cannot all agree on every issue all the time.We disagree to agree.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ibrahim Babangida And Abdulsalami Abubakar In Their Younger Days (Throwback Pic) / Lady Gives Birth At PDP Rally In Delta / Panic As Firing Gunmen Enforce Sit-at-home In Asaba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.