Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,813 members, 7,844,635 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) (12567 Views)

1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo / Ten African Leaders That Died In Bloody Coup (photos) / Bloody Coup: Emir Sanusi Sends Nigeria A Very Strong Warning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by IGBOPRINCE: 12:59pm On Feb 13, 2016
engineerboat:
Today marks the 40 years of the death of General Murtala Muhammed

General Murtala Ramat Muhammed was the military ruler of Nigeria from 1975 until his assassination in 1976.
Born on November 8, 1938, Kano
Assassinated on February 13, 1976, in Lagos by Dimka Coup
He was Succeeded by General Olusegun Obasanjo

Nigeria Let us have some time to reflect on the life of this man and 40 years after.

this re the reasons why I don't like holding 20naira note. The paper reminded me of the massacre that took place in asaba during the war. sad
I will rather hold 500note and 1000note cos it makes me happy grin

1 Like

Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by mynd1(f): 1:21pm On Feb 13, 2016
IGBOPRINCE:
my love why na? He s saying the truth. He was the major culprit in the asaba killings.
Good day sir. grin
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by mynd1(f): 1:23pm On Feb 13, 2016
Omoluabi16:
I will slap you
For ur dream abi? undecided
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by Nobody: 1:42pm On Feb 13, 2016
Murtala is never a hero. He was a coupist, a poor military strategist and a bigot..

2 Likes

Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by dunlie: 1:55pm On Feb 13, 2016
mynd1:
If u hv nothing good to say,keep ur mouth shut plss.

And you "re the one that have something to say ...parrot.!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by IGBOPRINCE: 2:10pm On Feb 13, 2016
mynd1:
Good day sir. grin
hmm , this one you re shinning your 32 teeth for me grin
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by Deadlytruth(m): 2:20pm On Feb 13, 2016
Did I hear someone say Ironsi sincerely meant well for Nigeria?
Aguyi Ironsi could never be Nigeria's best military HOS because his body language betrayed more of a hidden agenda than the one Nigeria desire frequently credited him with by his admirers.
In any case the "One-Nigeria" sloganeering was nothing but a euphemism for the unitary system desire inspired in him by Zik.
The Western Region anarchy that precipitated the January 1966 coup was largely caused by the abuse of power at the centre by Tafawa Balewa backed up by Ahmadu Bello. The central government rigged elections openly in broad daylight in all Southern regions and boasted that it would rule Nigeria even without the people's consent. Now, knowing fully well that the centre, weak as it was as at that time in the first republic, could still so much abuse the little power it had to cause so much confusion in the Western Region and indeed in the entire South; common sense dictated clearly that the wisest and most reasonable thing for Aguyi Ironsi to do on rising to power was to further weaken the centre if he truly desired a peaceful, more united and rancour free Nigeria.
But his hidden agenda took the better part of him and he promulgated the Unification Decree which further strengthened the same centre whose monumental abuse of powers and undue interference in the Western Region's affairs had just caused anarchy and precipitated an undesirable bloody coup. Was there any sense of logical reasoning in that action of Ironsi? Only a hidden agenda makes people act against logic, propriety and common sense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by Nobody: 4:31pm On Feb 13, 2016
talk2macs:
Murtala is never a hero. He was a coupist, a poor military strategist and an bigot..

Nobody might realize this but this is the most truthful comment here

1 Like

Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by engineerboat(m): 4:46pm On Feb 13, 2016
IGBOPRINCE:
this re the reasons why I don't like holding 20naira note. The paper reminded me of the massacre that took place in asaba during the war. sad
I will rather hold 500note and 1000note cos it makes me happy grin

remember one man's food is another man's poison
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by Nobody: 5:25pm On Feb 13, 2016
anonimi:

Biggest LIE about the PRETENTIOUS crook who is renting Aso Rock villa till may 29, 2019 from us.

Abeg election is over

Tanko Yakasai’s newly-formed
Northern Elders Council (NEC)
publicly endorsed President
Goodluck Jonathan’s 2015 re-
election at the group’s
meeting in Kaduna.

https://www.naij.com/58693.html
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by IGBOPRINCE: 5:40pm On Feb 13, 2016
engineerboat:

remember one man's food is another man's poison
what do u mean, you mean you prefare 20naira to be in your pocket?

Abeg me na rich man I be grin I don't go out with 20naira note that reminds me of asaba massacre

Lowest is 500naira note(zikiwe) grin
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by engineerboat(m): 5:42pm On Feb 13, 2016
IGBOPRINCE:
what do u mean, you mean you prefare 20naira to be in your pocket?

Abeg me na rich man I be grin I don't go out with 20naira note that reminds me of asaba massacre

Lowest is 500naira note(zikiwe) grin

once again one man's food is another man's poison

[/quote]
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by iSmalles(m): 5:49pm On Feb 13, 2016
anonimi:

FALSE!
That title goes to Gowon

Nah Gowon had a hand in Muri's demise
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by IGBOPRINCE: 6:09pm On Feb 13, 2016
engineerboat:

once again one man's food is another man's poison

whatever
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by naijacentric(m): 6:13pm On Feb 13, 2016
life can be funny atimes how come a man who had a hand in d asaba massacre became nigeria's best president my brodas n sisters from the south east u guys shoul learn to forgive n forget you guys are mostly christians o have u forgotten wat Jesus said at least dose people dat died were created by God not you people so who felt more pain!
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by gidgiddy: 8:44pm On Feb 13, 2016
It beats my imagination that a man like Murtala Ramat Mohammed still has,not just a place of honour on the 20 Naira note, but also has an International Airport and many other landmarks named after him. How is this possible? Or is it that no one cares about history any more? How can such a controversial character still be accorded such recognition?
The sins of Murtala:

1] Led the counter coup and superviced the killing of over 300 fellow officers. Murtala led other northern elements (including the then Lt Buhari) to commit this murderous act in retaliation for what they tagged an "Igbo coup". For me,a coup plotter,wether Nzeogwu or Murutala has any place in history. It should also be noted that everyone who participated in the first coup were punished at the end of the war while Murutala and co who committed far worse atrocities got off scot-free.

2]Troops under Murtala's command committed genocide in Asaba when they entered the city at the start of the civil war. Over 700 defenceless civilians who came to welcome the federal troops were gunned down in cold blood. Wether this happend on Murutala's orders or not is immaterial. His troops killed people and he should bear responsibility for the conduct of his men.

3]Murtala,in direct contravention of orders and sound advice led thousands of Nigerian soldiers to their deaths trying to cross the river Niger (in 3 separate attempts) into Onitsha all in his vain attempt to increase his popularity. His troops would later be destroyed at Abagana and he was recalled from the war and sent to London while many of his men lay dead under the River Niger.

4]murtala came to represent the face of northern domination. He kicked out Gowon,seized power,retired everyone who was above him in rank and in one of the worst acts of military indecipline,he triple promoted himself from a one star Brigadier to a full 4 star General. Murutala was the first military officer to conduct a coup in other to take political power. Even Nzeogwu and co had no intention to take power for themselves.

Murtala Mohammed was a failed soldier,a sociopath,mass murderer and accomplished coup plotter. Because of him,many people needlessly died. My question is this. What is the face of such a despicable man doing on the 20 Naira note?[/quote]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by jagbajantus: 11:08pm On Feb 13, 2016
Guys, you should always check history records first before you make absolute statements such as the greatest leader that Nigeria ever had. It shows that you do not know Nigerian history or you did not do you home work at all. The troops under Murtala's command were responsible for hunting down hundreds of all the innocent civilian males they could find, anywhere in Asaba, they lined them all up in the middle of town, and shot them all in the head in extra-judicial manner and executed every single one of them point blank even though these men were not soldiers and did not pose any threat or danger at all to the Nigerian Army or do anything to hurt Nigeria. And his men also looted the Central Bank in Asaba and stole everything that was not nailed to the ground.

They also raped several Asaba young girls and women. And used them for their personal and perverse sexual pleasures. Imagine if one of them was your mother or sister or your daughter that was being raped by the Nigerian Army? How would you feel? So you think that all these things were good enough to make Murtala a great leader and a war hero in your book? You are looking only at one side of the coin. Remember that a coin has two sides. In a civilized country, your hero Murtala (along with many other high-ranking Nigerian officers), would have been tried for their war crimes, as war criminals just like Charles Taylor of Liberia was tried and convicted at the World International Criminal Court in the Hague, Netherlands.

Maybe Murtala did change after the war but he was no hero. And he was not punished for war crimes. He never apologized publicly either for the crimes committed under him. In the Army, you are responsible for your men's actions. You get credit for any good that they do and you are implicated for all the bad things that they do under your watch. Murtala did not punish or sanction any of his men. So that means that he tacitly approved it. That's the way it works in the military. Always check your history before you write. Or ask somebody that knows.

1 Like

Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by kaakumme: 11:33pm On Feb 13, 2016
fallen hero. . .

may ur soul rest in peace.

to those haters , insulting him for their interest are real zombies worth no leaving on mother earth.

they are different . always abusing and pointing fingers while their hands is unclean.
wailing wailers , alias!

they know themselves . . .

stay bless Nigeria , stay bless patriotic citizens of Nigeria.

R I P
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by initiate: 11:52pm On Feb 14, 2016
where exactly was murtalla shot? where was he going and where was he coming from? anybody?
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by jagbajantus: 11:31am On Feb 16, 2016
SOME OF YOU CAN CHOOSE TO BURY YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND JUST LIKE AN OSTRICH, IF YOU WANT. THAT'S YOUR CHOICE.
AND YOU CAN ALSO CHOOSE TO LIVE IN DENIAL JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE PICKED YOUR SO-CALLED HERO. THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM.
BUT YOU CAN'T RE-WRITE HISTORY. FACT IS FACT. AND LIE IS LIE. THE FACT IS THAT YOU CANNOT MANUFACTURE YOUR OWN FACTS.
Here are some links:

http://www.thewhistler.ng/story/u-s-declassified-memo-accuses-murtala-muhammad-of-genocide

Also the story of the massacre in Asaba: http://ynaija.com/gripping-video-the-story-of-the-asaba-massacre-during-the-biafran-war-watch/

Here is more below ............ Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murtala_Mohammed

Nigerian civil war and role in the Asaba Massacre
During the Nigerian Civil War, Muhammad was General Officer Commanding (GOC) of the Nigerian Army's 2nd Division. This division was responsible for the legendary beating back of the Biafran Army from the midwestern region, as well as crossing the River Niger and linking up with the 1st Division, which was marching down from Nsukka and Enugu. Lieutenant Ishola Williams, an officer who served under then Colonel Muhammed alleged that Muhammed ordered the summary execution of Biafran prisoners of war. Professors Bird and Ottanelli in a study titled "The History and Legacy of the Asaba, Nigeria, Massacres" document the mass murder of civilians (often referred to as the Asaba Massacre) by troops of the 2nd Division under Colonel Murtala Muhammad.

Muhammad's encounter with disaster during the war happened shortly after, as he attempted to cross the River Niger to Biafra. Despite the recommendation of his superiors at Army Headquarters in Lagos that he wait for the bridge, which had been blown up by the retreating Biafran forces, to be rebuilt, he insisted on a riverine crossing. Twice he was beaten back, but he steadfastly kept resolve and finally made it through on his third attempt. Shortly after this, Muhammad fed up with reprimands from Army HQ, decided to quit his command and left for an extended holiday in the United Kingdom, but not before threatening to resign his commission. His historic military feats during the war won him National acclaim and respect even from his adversaries.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

INEC Stopped People From Collecting PVC In Egor LGA, Edo State (pics, Video) / Senate Approves Science And Technology University For FCT / Is Securing 2nd Term More Important Than Nigeria’s Security? -Atiku Asks Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.