Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,676 members, 7,844,227 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) (12561 Views)

1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo / Ten African Leaders That Died In Bloody Coup (photos) / Bloody Coup: Emir Sanusi Sends Nigeria A Very Strong Warning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by cjmike704(m): 11:29am On Feb 13, 2016
m
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by Melkizedek(m): 11:29am On Feb 13, 2016
adipemcanis1:

It depends. He also kicked off the return to democracy...that ended in the Second Republic. (Indeed,one of the reasons for overthrowing Gowon was because Gowon said that a 1976 return to democracy was no longer feasible).Obasanjo just merely completed the democracy project started by Murtala

He was also very tough on corruption, and he himself returned his own stolen loot back to the treasury.

One other thing....he was accused by a newspaper of using armed soldiers to loot a bank...and he....went to court, and sued them for libel. And won his case.(Note..how many army leaders have gone to court before or since)

Yes coups are illegal. But in my opinion, the reason why they succeed is because Nigerians sit down at home and do nothing. And also because the political class too make a mess of things.(See the Second Republic....where corruption was a real problem).
No the reason why they succeeded was majorly because of the nigerian people's chronic selective amnesia and quick fix mentality akin to that of the isrealites in the wilderness...whenever a military coup plotter took over, the masses will flood the streets in jubilation that a corrupt civilian government has been overthrown. few months down the line they will start gnashing their teeth in agony and regret wishing to get rid of the men with guns..it has been a reoccurring scene for decades..nigerians just lack a sense of history..that is why they keep going in circles for over 50 years.

3 Likes

Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by Flexherbal(m): 11:30am On Feb 13, 2016
Indeed we are growing.
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by ichommy(m): 11:30am On Feb 13, 2016
Damn shocked
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by luvinhubby(m): 11:33am On Feb 13, 2016
ChappyChase:

Anonimi wake up!! You don piss for bed!

grin grin

1 Like

Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by pixtuk(m): 11:36am On Feb 13, 2016
Buhari is Nigeria's best Leader followed by Abacha grin

1 Like

Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by ChappyChase: 11:38am On Feb 13, 2016
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by Nobody: 11:42am On Feb 13, 2016
GEN SANI ABACHA AND GEN IBB WILL BE THE BEST LEADERS NIGERIA WILL EVER PRODUCE!! grin

1 Like

Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by 1wolex85: 11:45am On Feb 13, 2016
anonimi:

FALSE! That title goes to Gowon
How is it Gowon? Can you explain pls?
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by Justicealh3(m): 11:46am On Feb 13, 2016
Adminisher:
The best leader Nigeria ever had.
For ur think
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by Truthisit: 11:47am On Feb 13, 2016
How?
Adminisher:
The best leader Nigeria ever had.
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by ofoka: 11:49am On Feb 13, 2016
Please help me tell him that 40years after his forceful demise, Nigeria is not better yet. Poverty, suffering, impunity, economic crime against the citizens and the state, electoral malpractice, massive corruption,looting, oligarchy and tyranny are stiil holding sway. The youths are seeking assylum everywhere and the rich are sending their children to other nations. The poor are dying. Terror is being unleashed everywhere. Industries are failing and infrastructure are decaying.The naira is on a free fall. There are so many schools and graduates but Joblessness and fruustration have overwhelmed us.
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by anonimi: 11:53am On Feb 13, 2016
1wolex85:
How is it Gowon? Can you explain pls?

Gowon:

- managed the only civil war successfully.
- massive construction nationwide (that has been rivaled maybe only by Jonathan at the federal level.**)
- greater CIVILITY and more SYSTEMS driven society as a carry over from the 1st Republic democracy before Murtala accelerated the destruction by sacking "Super" Perm. Secs.

to mention a few.
Murtala is a cult figure for those who FEEL they need someone in authority to WHIP them into discipline ALL the time i.e. they do not trust themselves to behave without being FLOGGED every time.
Such people are likely to follow Buhari who is also a cult figure in the same mold.

Minister of State for Works, Adebayo Adeyeye, also said that Jonathan’s administration has recorded more success in the provision of motorable roads than any other administration in the history of Nigeria.

Adeyeye, who spoke as a guest on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily programme on Monday, insisted that the Jonathan administration has made considerable progress in the road sector, more than any of the governments that have administered the country.
According to him, the administration in 2011 had about 4,500 kilometres of fairly motorable roads, just as he explained that today the administration has about 25,000 kilometres of very good roads.

More from: http://pointblanknews.com/pbn/exclusive/jonathan-constructed-more-roads-than-any-other-nigerian-president-fashola/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by greatbrian(m): 11:54am On Feb 13, 2016
luvinhubby:
That guy would have been a bigger tyrant ( all Nigerian soldiers are potential ones), just that he ruled for only 6 months are never had much time to unleash his true colours on Nigerians.

I do not have any reason to celebrate any Nigerian that participated in any coup or counter coup as all coupists are criminals.

God bless Nigeria.

How will u say all Nigerian soldiers are potential ones. U r one of d clowns DAT shud be jobbed. My dad z a pastor in mfm and a military officer I attend the apostolic faith church and am a proud born again christian. So does been a soldier makes me a tyrant. Guy clean ur mind. So u won't end up getting jobbed for ur words if u r close to military men u will love them. And adore them after God they are the reason u r still breathing and living in peace. Quote me at ur own peril
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by greatbrian(m): 11:56am On Feb 13, 2016
God bless ur soul !y able general murtala a rare gem in the Nigerian Army. Ur legacy lives on. I once had from my dad that u were his role model back as a young lieutenant. And my dad z my role model too so definitely it goes by me saying u r my hero
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by greatbrian(m): 11:57am On Feb 13, 2016
luvinhubby:

Mention one, just one Nigerian political millitary officer that has no dictatorial tendency.

Gen abdulsalam, Avm olawunmi Adeleye, and a lot more
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by luvinhubby(m): 12:00pm On Feb 13, 2016
greatbrian:

Gen abdulsalam, Avm olawunmi Adeleye, and a lot more

.....are all Tyrants.
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by unlawfulact: 12:02pm On Feb 13, 2016
Is simplicity is what i loved about him. He beleives he has nothing to hide and that is why the likes of Ðimka. He drastically reduced the number of security around him.
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by greatbrian(m): 12:05pm On Feb 13, 2016
luvinhubby:

.....are all Tyrants.

Like ur dad too coz Avm Adeleye z an uncle
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by olas24u(f): 12:06pm On Feb 13, 2016
anonimi:

FALSE!
That title goes to Gowon

He destroyed the Nigerian civil service till today we are still in it ,ineffective civil service. The man was not intelligent ,he was a stupid solider,he also caused the death of thousand of Nigerian soldiers in Asaba
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by 1wolex85: 12:07pm On Feb 13, 2016
anonimi:

Gowon:

- managed the only civil war successfully.
- massive construction nationwide (that has been rivaled maybe only by Jonathan at the federal level.**)
- greater CIVILITY and more SYSTEMS driven society as a carry over from the 1st Republic democracy before Murtala accelerated the destruction by sacking "Super" Perm. Secs.

to mention a few.
Murtala is a cult figure for those who FEEL they need someone in authority to WHIP them into discipline ALL the time i.e. they do not trust themselves to behave without being FLOGGED every time.
Such people are likely to follow Buhari who is also a cult figure in the same mold.

very watery reasons. That guy wasn't ready to hand over to a democratically elected govt, Murtala was, for that reason alone, Murtala trumps him.

And so you quote a pdp minister saying they constructed 25,000 km of roads and we are supposed to believe it? You yourself know that the figure is grossly exaggerated except you have proof to the contrary
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by luvinhubby(m): 12:08pm On Feb 13, 2016
greatbrian:

How will u say all Nigerian soldiers are potential ones. U r one of d clowns DAT shud be jobbed. My dad z a pastor in mfm and a military officer I attend the apostolic faith church and am a proud born again christian. So does been a soldier makes me a tyrant. Guy clean ur mind. So u won't end up getting jobbed for ur words if u r close to military men u will love them. And adore them after God they are the reason u r still breathing and living in peace. Quote me at ur own peril
God bless your dad, my dad was also a police officer, but fact still remains that the Nigerian millitary system is a platform that breeds potential tyrant by their manner of recruitment, training & fatique, psychological orientation that tells them that all civilians are 'bloody' & made worse by the harsh & inhumane barracks environment that they live in.
These factors breed tyrant soldiers & makes the good ones among them potential tyrants, just that the extreme situation that will stir up that tyranny in them may not have occurred.

1 Like

Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by Omoluabi16(m): 12:21pm On Feb 13, 2016
I use to respect this guy..But his exploits during the civil war was brutal.And then the asaba massacre.. He probably deserved what happened to him. smh

3 Likes

Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by anonimi: 12:23pm On Feb 13, 2016
olas24u:
He destroyed the Nigerian civil service till today we are still in it ,ineffective civil service. The man was not intelligent ,he was a stupid solider,he also caused the death of thousand of Nigerian soldiers in Asaba

I assume you are talking about Murtala Muhammed and NOT Gowon, right
please confirm to avoid any confusion.
Thanks.
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by mynd1(f): 12:24pm On Feb 13, 2016
uzolexis:
I see no reason to celebrate this murderer. He was a major culprit in the asaba killings.
If u hv nothing good to say,keep ur mouth shut plss.
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by olas24u(f): 12:29pm On Feb 13, 2016
anonimi:

I assume you are talking about Murtala Muhammed and NOT Gowon, right
please confirm to avoid any confusion.
Thanks.

Muritala Muhammad sacked top civil servants with immediate effects and appointmented lowly qualified people to take over ,the result is still with us,and they were all dominated by a section of Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by Nobody: 12:39pm On Feb 13, 2016
adipemcanis1:

He was also very tough on corruption, and he himself returned his own stolen loot back to the treasury.

One other thing....he was accused by a newspaper of using armed soldiers to loot a bank...and he....went to court, and sued them for libel. And won his case.(Note..how many army leaders have gone to court before or since)

first time I'm hearing of these 2 incidents
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by Nobody: 12:40pm On Feb 13, 2016
olas24u:

Muritala Muhammad sacked top civil servants with immediate effects and appointment lowly qualified people to take over ,the result is still wait us,and they were all dominated by a section of Nigeria.

the Udoji commision was actually under Gowon but you are righy about the lasting impact
Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by TriggerHappi: 12:45pm On Feb 13, 2016
Fuwk corrupt civilian so called democracy government!! Military rule is what a country like Nigeria need angry

1 Like

Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by uzolexis(f): 12:46pm On Feb 13, 2016
mynd1:
This is a forum of which i am a member and I am entitled to state my opinion. It is only in Nigeria we celebrate criminals, murderers and theives. Murtala murdered hundreds of innocent civilians in Asaba n pple like you are celebrating him. If someone you loved was part of those he killed will you be saying this rubbish

3 Likes

Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by Omoluabi16(m): 12:53pm On Feb 13, 2016
mynd1:
I will slap you

2 Likes

Re: 40 Years After: Murtala Muhammed (a Bloody Coup) by IGBOPRINCE: 12:53pm On Feb 13, 2016
mynd1:
my love why na? He s saying the truth. He was the major culprit in the asaba killings.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please, No 2019 For Buhari - By Ochereome Nnanna / Made In Biafra Pencil Flood The Markert In South East-pics / Egyptian Ambassador, Salama, Travelled By Road From Maiduguri To Yobe - Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.