Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,224 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:56 AM

Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) (76746 Views)

Obasanjo Swearing In Buhari As Petroleum Minister In 1976 (Throwback Photo) / Obasanjo Saluting The Corpse Of Murtala Mohammed (Throwback Photo) / Emir Sanusi Prays At The Tomb Of Murtala Muhammed (Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by mekanaky: 8:18pm On Feb 13, 2016
the massacre of innocent biafran led by the fool is what the zoo will continue to reap. Nothing makes him a hero

1 Like

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Sctests: 8:19pm On Feb 13, 2016
seunmsg:

In war, anything goes. That's why it's better not to start a war you are not fully prepared for. It saves you stories like this. That is why I will blame Ojukwu for starting a war he knew he can't win. He's a war criminal for wasting the lives of 2million Igbos for no reason. Beside, both sides committed war crimes during the war.

How did Ojukwu start a war? By seeking to protect his people away from your bloodthirsty forebears? Gowon fired the first shot. That you won a war with British and Arab military aid doesn't make you right.

The future is waiting for us all. Deny all you want, we hate ourselves and there is no sign that nigeria will live forever. Even the hausas are preparing for life after nigeria and frantically search for oil and secretly mining their gold and saving in Arab banks.

Only yorubas seem to believe that nigeria a stormy entity with chaotic opposing forces and interests pulling at each other everyday will magically survive a 1000 years. While the futuristic Hausa and Igbo are preparing for the post-nigeria existence. Yoruba should be wiser than this.

4 Likes

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by emeejinsm: 8:19pm On Feb 13, 2016
some people just went to school to study nonsens , wia dia iz no unity dia wn't be progress , nigerian fault line cannot be amended, 4get dey selfish heros lets devide dis great country ;Dsome people just went to school to study nonsens , wia dia iz no unity dia wn't be progress , nigerian fault line cannot be amended, 4get dey selfish heros lets devide dis great country
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by tolzy90(m): 8:20pm On Feb 13, 2016
Trying to get something here, was it Murtala Mohammed that went to war with the Ibos or Gowon. The war started and ended with Gowon as head of state. Hw matter come concern Murtala? Kids evrywhr, y'all need to read more on Nigeria history and stop spreading false info. Murtala was one of the most loved heads of states Nigeria ever had. He was so simple, he doesn't use convoy. The main reason he was easily assassinated.

4 Likes

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by ISpiksDaTroof: 8:20pm On Feb 13, 2016
Okijajuju1:
I recently visited the Museum in Lagos and saw the car he got shot in..

One remarkable thing I noticed was the accuracy of the assassins. The were so accurate with their shots that only 1 bullet strayed and hit the body of the car. All other shots went into the car. The driver seat had a bullet hole in the center of the head rest.

Crazy stuff.

When you run up with a gun to someone sitting in an unarmored car in traffic, even if you're Stevie Wonder, it will be really hard to miss.

3 Likes

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by BrainnewsNg(f): 8:22pm On Feb 13, 2016
chukwudi44:
That is the corpse of a war criminal!! The blood of the women and children of Asaba were appeased by this act of heroism by the brave Col Dimka.I suggest Dimka should be considered for a national award.

Noted!
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by IGBOPRINCE: 8:24pm On Feb 13, 2016
seunmsg:

In war, anything goes. That's why it's better not to start a war you are not fully prepared for. It saves you stories like this. That is why I will blame Ojukwu for starting a war he knew he can't win. He's a war criminal for wasting the lives of 2million Igbos for no reason. Beside, both sides committed war crimes during the war.
who told ojukwu started the war first? How did he starts the war? Was he the one that attacked the northerners first by bombing them or shooting them?
Did ojukwu said to the biafrans let us attacked the nigerian first after the aburi accord?

Pls how did he start the war first?
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Larryfest(m): 8:25pm On Feb 13, 2016
Right frm 1960 till date there hasn't being any leader who has actually had the interest of this nation at heart,it has always been a selfish agenda for them.Even the military guys not 2talk of this present day elite armed robbers we call politicians....Muritala aint a hero,no past or present leaders has ever been,we can only hope on the future leaders...

1 Like

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Nobody: 8:25pm On Feb 13, 2016
emmalexabl:
Murtala muhammed set a record of war crimes.
In a rain of blood., tens of thousands of innocent youth.,some of them just 6 years old were lined up on the streets of Asaba and executed in cold blood on direct order of murtala.

Happy he never escaped justice in this world and he will definitely be getting his punishment also in the spirit realm!!

before you point fingers read the articles I posted in the previous page and see what the Biafran Army did to biafran minorities from the midwestern and cross river regions, the very people they wanted to be part of Biafra. You massacre your own minoritiese whom you are not at war with, then you point fingers at the people you are actually at war with for killing your people and then you brainwash a generation with a one sided story of victimization?

6 Likes

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by seunmsg(m): 8:29pm On Feb 13, 2016
datigbogirl:

So for example if a weaker country datz fed up with the bulls!t of anoda stronger country decides to damn all consequences and go to war...their leader should be labelled a war criminal ryt? That's your definition of a war criminal init?

Can you see how tribalism & hate has messed up your thinking?

You don't go to war based on emotions, you go to war based on necessity and pragmatism. The European union with their NATO forces had every reason to go to war with Russia over Ukraine, but they decided otherwise despite the provocation.

Apart from declaring a war he wasn't prepared for, Ojukwu committed war crimes against the people of mid-west region. Go and read the story of how the people of Abudu, women and children were completely wiped out.

And please, tribalism played no role in my opinion. I already accepted that war crimes were committed on both sides. You are the one defending your tribal hero here. Let's call a spade a spade, Ojukwu is a war criminal.

6 Likes

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Nobody: 8:31pm On Feb 13, 2016
live by the gun... die by the gun.
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by DonEvarest(m): 8:36pm On Feb 13, 2016
One thing I like about him is his sense of sanitation in politics and his afro interest foreign policy. He really tried during his regime
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Nobody: 8:43pm On Feb 13, 2016
fortune1968:
Igbo and ipob **** may continue their hatred of other groups in the country .They should just continue .With their recent activities and utterances ,I'm sure the are eternally doomed politically in this country -Nigeria.

I've said this many times, Igbos are just shooting themselves in the foot because Biafra will never happen and now after preaching hatred how are the other tribes supposed to hand over power to an Igbo man?

4 Likes

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by gidgiddy: 8:46pm On Feb 13, 2016
zendy:
It beats my imagination that a man like Murtala Ramat Mohammed still has,not just a place of honour on the 20 Naira note, but also has an International Airport and many other landmarks named after him. How is this possible? Or is it that no one cares about history any more? How can such a controversial character still be accorded such recognition?
The sins of Murtala:

1] Led the counter coup and superviced the killing of over 300 fellow officers. Murtala led other northern elements (including the then Lt Buhari) to commit this murderous act in retaliation for what they tagged an "Igbo coup". For me,a coup plotter,wether Nzeogwu or Murutala has any place in history. It should also be noted that everyone who participated in the first coup were punished at the end of the war while Murutala and co who committed far worse atrocities got off scot-free.

2]Troops under Murtala's command committed genocide in Asaba when they entered the city at the start of the civil war. Over 700 defenceless civilians who came to welcome the federal troops were gunned down in cold blood. Wether this happend on Murutala's orders or not is immaterial. His troops killed people and he should bear responsibility for the conduct of his men.

3]Murtala,in direct contravention of orders and sound advice led thousands of Nigerian soldiers to their deaths trying to cross the river Niger (in 3 separate attempts) into Onitsha all in his vain attempt to increase his popularity. His troops would later be destroyed at Abagana and he was recalled from the war and sent to London while many of his men lay dead under the River Niger.

4]murtala came to represent the face of northern domination. He kicked out Gowon,seized power,retired everyone who was above him in rank and in one of the worst acts of military indecipline,he triple promoted himself from a one star Brigadier to a full 4 star General. Murutala was the first military officer to conduct a coup in other to take political power. Even Nzeogwu and co had no intention to take power for themselves.

Murtala Mohammed was a failed soldier,a sociopath,mass murderer and accomplished coup plotter. Because of him,many people needlessly died. My question is this. What is the face of such a despicable man doing on the 20 Naira note?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by fortune1968: 8:57pm On Feb 13, 2016
lookandlaff:

I've said this many times, Igbos are just shooting themselves in the foot because Biafra will never happen and now after preaching hatred how are the other tribes supposed to hand over power to an Igbo man?
Thank you .They need to pray for sense .

3 Likes

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Nobody: 9:08pm On Feb 13, 2016
tolzy90:
Trying to get something here, was it Murtala Mohammed that went to war with the Ibos or Gowon. The war started and ended with Gowon as head of state. Hw matter come concern Murtala? Kids evrywhr, y'all need to read more on Nigeria history and stop spreading false info. Murtala was one of the most loved heads of states Nigeria ever had. He was so simple, he doesn't use convoy. The main reason he was easily assassinated.

Bros just google the Asaba massacre or the butche of asaba and tell me what you see.You might even want to read emma okocha's blood on the Niger.Murtala Mohammed supervised one of the worst war crimes in the history of humanity
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by arusoncd(m): 9:12pm On Feb 13, 2016
what of Aguiyi Ironsi, why not remember him too. what of his remains. zoo people una go see.
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by IGBOPRINCE: 9:16pm On Feb 13, 2016
@ Lookandlaff I took my time to read that history content. No time to argued who was right or wrong. Tanx by throwing more light.

But the biafrans really tried to sustained the tempo/heat on the long 3years despite few and distrusts supporters from minorities.

I wish ojukwu succeeded but maybe God had his own reasons to bring unity back but today, nigerians re no longer ready for wars cos we re more civilised and more sophisticated,
we have learned from the civil war events that took placed in the 60s.

Anything that must happens now must be on agreements or referendum.
So that peace will prevailed..

If they still want the unification of ndigbos and SS in nigeria, they must please us and bring things to round table.
Make us feels the sense of belonging to this country called nigeria.

Don't wake the spirit of the rising Sun by perceiving hatred in your hearts. We need our own token,benefit,equality and justice.

1 Like

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Nobody: 9:19pm On Feb 13, 2016
chukwudi44:

Bros just google the Asaba massacre or the butche of asaba and tell me what you see.You might even want to read emma okocha's blood on the Niger.Murtala Mohammed supervised one of the worst war crimes in the history of humanity

Who do you blame for the massacres the Biafrans committed on it's own people? We don't teach history in our schools, You are reading stories as told from the igbo side, note I said Igbo side not Biafran, I say this because I have posted accounts from independents and most importantly from non-ibo minorities within Biafra on the atrocities committed by Biafra against people from the midwest, cross-river and rivers. What say you to that? As Chinua Achebe himself said, until the lion begins to write his own story, the tale of the hunt will always favour the hunter. There are no saints in the war, both sides are just as guilty of attrocities but if we continue to dwell on it we will never heal and quite honestly, it's the Igbos that need the healing the most because from where I stand it is clear Ibo parents have bombarded their offspring of one sided tales of the war which have sown discordant seeds and their children have grown up with a chip on their shoulders.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Nobody: 9:20pm On Feb 13, 2016
chukwudi44:

The butcher of Asaba is not amongst the founding fathers of Nigeria
please are u a medical student or a doctor?
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Nobody: 9:24pm On Feb 13, 2016
DeejayTafari:
please are u a medical student or a doctor?

None of the two.May I know why you ask? Murtala Mohammed was actually dubbed "the Butcher of Asaba" because of his role in the massacre of innocent civillians at asaba during the civil war.This is one of the worst case of war crimes ever committed on the african continent.His atrocities during the war will make Foday Sankoh look like a saint.The image of a hero projected about General Mohammed is an insult to the memories of those poor souls at asaba
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Mikollon1(m): 9:25pm On Feb 13, 2016
GeneralShepherd:
How people justify genocide is unimaginable! I am not a fan of Ojukwu, Awolowo or any of the past elites in Nigeria. I owe none my respect because the Nigeria we see today is a result of their collective actions and inactions.

Chukwudi44 raised an interesting point accusing Murtala Mohamed of war crimes, if this accusations are true historical accounts (a big if), why then are we pouring eulogies on this man?

We need to say no to killing of non-combatants, if not it will continue repeating in Nigeria.

I am igbo but I was appalled at the indiscriminate killing of Shites by the Nigerian army. Killing none combatants, women and children is a war crime.

I don't understand the noise about women and children. What about the men killed? Are their lives worth less?

4 Likes

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Nobody: 9:26pm On Feb 13, 2016
IGBOPRINCE:
@ Lookandlaff I took my time to read that history content. No time to argued who was right or wrong. Tanx by throwing more light.

It's not about right or wrong bro, it's about ending the hatred that fills the hearts of so many and I think understanding that it wasn't one sided goes a long way to letting go because like I said Biafra is never going to happen and we learn to live together and trust each other. I wasn't alive when this war happened and I am sure I am older than a lot of people who are today harboring hate.

3 Likes

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Mikollon1(m): 9:26pm On Feb 13, 2016
chukwudi44:
That is the corpse of a war criminal!! The blood of the women and children of Asaba were appeased by this act of heroism by the brave Col Dimka.I suggest Dimka should be considered for a national award.

And how about the lives of the men killed? Any thoughts for them?
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Nobody: 9:27pm On Feb 13, 2016
lookandlaff:

Who do you blame for the massacres the Biafrans committed on it's own people? We don't teach history in our schools, You are reading stories as told from the igbo side, note I said Igbo side not Biafran, I say this because I have posted accounts from independents and most importantly from non-ibo minorities within Biafra on the atrocities committed by Biafra against people from the midwest, cross-river and rivers. What say you to that? As Chinua Achebe himself said, until the lion begins to write his own story, the tale of the hunt will always favour the hunter. There are no saints in the war, both sides are just as guilty of attrocities but if we continue to dwell on it we will never heal and quite honestly, it's the Igbos that need the healing the most because from where I stand it is clear Ibo parents have bombarded their offspring of one sided tales of the war which have sown discordant seeds and their children have grown up with a chip on their shoulders.

The asaba massacre is a very well documented event.Even before Emma Okocha wrote "blood on the Niger".The atrocious events that transpired there in oct 1967 was already in the public domain!! If you know of any igbo massacre of non-igbo minorities during the war,kindly spill it here including dates,venues as well as commanding officers.

1 Like

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Nobody: 9:28pm On Feb 13, 2016
chukwudi44:

The asaba massacre is a very well documented event.Even before Emma Okocha wrote "blood on the Niger".The atrocious events that transpired there in oct 1967 was already in the public domain!! If you know of any igbo massacre of non-igbo minorities during the war,kindly spill it here including dates,venues as well as commanding officers.

I never said it didnt happen, I am aware of it. what I am saying is are you aware of the Biafran massacres?

Read my posts on page 2
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Tycoflu(m): 9:31pm On Feb 13, 2016
Wikipedia said that it was Maj. Ibrahim Taiwo that gave the order so why una dey blame MM?

The Federal troops entered Asaba around October 5, and began ransacking houses and killing civilians, claiming they were Biafran sympathisers. Leaders summoned the townspeople to assemble on the morning of October 7, hoping to end the violence through a show of support for "One Nigeria." Hundreds of men, women, and children, many wearing the ceremonial akwa ocha (white) attire paraded along the main street, singing, dancing, and chanting "One Nigeria." At a junction, men and teenage boys were separated from women and young children, and gathered in an open square at Ogbe-Osawa village. Federal troops revealed machine guns, and orders were given by Maj. IBRAHIM TAIWO to open fire. It is estimated that more than 700 men and boys were killed, some as young as 12 years old, in addition to many more killed in the preceding days.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asaba_massacre
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Nobody: 9:31pm On Feb 13, 2016
Mikollon1:

I don't understand the noise about women and children. What about the men killed? Are their lives worth less?
Killing of any unarmed civillian during war is a war crime and equally detestable.What makes the sordid events at asaba more horrifying was the fact that even kids were not spared.People were lined up in the village square and shot to death!!some Generations were completely wiped out by the soldiers led by these animal!! That man deserved worse than the very quick death the hero Dimka gave him

1 Like

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Nobody: 9:33pm On Feb 13, 2016
Tycoflu:

Wikipedia said that it was Maj. Ibrahim Taiwo that gave the order so why una dey blame MM?

The Federal troops entered Asaba around October 5, and began ransacking houses and killing civilians, claiming they were Biafran sympathisers. Leaders summoned the townspeople to assemble on the morning of October 7, hoping to end the violence through a show of support for "One Nigeria." Hundreds of men, women, and children, many wearing the ceremonial akwa ocha (white) attire paraded along the main street, singing, dancing, and chanting "One Nigeria." At a junction, men and teenage boys were separated from women and young children, and gathered in an open square at Ogbe-Osawa village. Federal troops revealed machine guns, and orders were given by Maj. IBRAHIM TAIWO to open fire. It is estimated that more than 700 men and boys were killed, some as young as 12 years old, in addition to many more killed in the preceding days.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asaba_massacre

A major cannot give an order when a Colonel was the commanding officer!! That wikipedia quote is made to absolve the criminal!! Murtala mohammed led the troops and he was present during the massacre!! You cannot tell he the Major was issuing orders to his commanding officer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Supreme Court: Celebration In Imo As Uzodinma Is Declared Winner / The Biggest Winner Of This Election Is The North - Reno Omokri / Detailed Account Of Dele Giwa's Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.