Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:27 AM

Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? (3884 Views)

90% Ladies Want To Marry Already Made Men, Why Not Stand By Him / Men Why Do You Bents On Breaking The Hearts Of Ladies Who Truly Love You. / Men's Room: Men, Why Do You Love Sex So Much? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Feb 14, 2016
Okay guys, let us leave religion and culture out of this. On a personal level, let us know why respect or will I call it submission is so important to you as a man. My reason for this is because, whenever there is a case of marriage failure, the first assumption is that the woman was not submissive enough. Even when there it domestic violence, it is because the woman was not submissive enough. I personally don't have a problem with giving anybody respect, both male and female, young and old. Where I have is problem is men expecting women to be blindly submissive. I mean, you can't keep treating me wrongly, disrespecting me, taking advantage of me and expect me to still respect you. That is just common sense. Women have feelings too and we get tired of bullsh.it too.
Is it about ego? To me ego is as good as pride, and it saddens me when even Christian brethren emphasize on a man's ego as of it is a thing to be proud of. We all know what the Bible says about pride. I also believe submission should be from both parties just as the Bible clearly stated so why do we keep twisting the scriptures. There can still be a head even with equality. I love to liken marriage to the affairs of this country. Buhari is our president but he is still equal in the sight of the law. If he commits a crime against me as a citizen, I have every right to sue him. He has some veto powers but he is still held accountable for his actions. And he is still answerable to us the citizens. We criticizing him does not and will never make him less of a president. Do you get my drift now?
So guys, honestly on a personal level, why is submission/respect from a woman so important to you? Leave culture and religion or of this.
Note; this thread is for mature individuals and it will help me know how to understand & address guys I find chauvinistic & mysoginistic better.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by gabinogem(m): 2:17pm On Feb 14, 2016
It is only a Foolish man who don't have respect for himself that will want others or his partner to accord him respect... respect is earned, same applies to being submissive.

2 Likes

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Feb 14, 2016
netizenbuzz:
Okay guys, let us leave religion and culture out of this. On a personal level, let us know why respect or will I call it submission is so important to you as a man. My reason for this is because, whenever there is a case of marriage failure, the first assumption is that the woman was not submissive enough. Even when there it domestic violence, it is because the woman was not submissive enough. I personally don't have a problem with giving anybody respect, both male and female, young and old. Where I have is problem is men expecting women to be blindly submissive. I mean, you can't keep treating me wrongly, disrespecting me, taking advantage of me and expect me to still respect you. That is just common sense. Women have feelings too and we get tired of bullsh.it too.
Is it about ego? To me ego is as good as pride, and it saddens me when even Christian brethren emphasize on a man's ego as of it is a thing to be proud of. We all know what the Bible says about pride. I also believe submission should be from both parties just as the Bible clearly stated so why do we keep twisting the scriptures. There can still be a head even with equality. I love to liken marriage to the affairs of this country. Buhari is our president but he is still equal in the sight of the law. If he commits a crime against me as a citizen, I have every right to sue him. He has some veto powers but he is still held accountable for his actions. And he is still answerable to us the citizens. We criticizing him does not and will never make him less of a president. Do you get my drift now?
So guys, honestly on a personal level, why is submission/respect from a woman so important to you? Leave culture and religion or of this.
Note; this thread is for mature individuals and it will help me know how to understand & address guys I find chauvinistic & mysoginistic better.

God bless you for that

3 Likes

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Feb 14, 2016
Ok
Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by ITbomb(m): 2:51pm On Feb 14, 2016
From my experience, guys don't respect girls who they got by flaunting their cash, for them they have spent enough and you have no reason not to submit. Only ladies who who were carried away by money do tolerate abuse in their relationships.

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by Cherlene(f): 3:02pm On Feb 14, 2016
netizenbuzz:

Happy Sunday

Super QUESTION, would be DELIGHTED to read MORE RESPONSES from the males PERSPECTIVE/VIEW.

Cherlene

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by scribble: 3:15pm On Feb 14, 2016
Not all men are unworthy of respect

Just like not all men are worthy

As a woman if you're in a relationship with a man you cannot respect, why are you there?

Money? Title? Stupidity?

Once you're in a relationship with a man you better learn how to respect him or suffer the consequences.

However men should never beat women. If my wife dares me, upon all my love and support, then I guess they're like 1000000 women looking for a man and know how to be submissive.

2 Likes

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Feb 14, 2016
scribble:
Not all men are unworthy of respect

Just like not all men are worthy

As a woman if you're in a relationship with a man you cannot respect, why are you there?

Money? Title? Stupidity?

Once you're in a relationship with a man you better learn how to respect him or suffer the consequences.

However men should never beat women. If my wife dares me, upon all my love and support, then I guess they're like 1000000 women looking for a man and know how to be submissive.
You have not answered my question. And you seem to believe only a woman needs to be submissive. Why is respect so important to you as a person? Is it because you feel it is a form of pay back for your love and support? But then women also love and support their men, so why exactly is it important to you?
Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by sinequanon: 8:46pm On Feb 14, 2016
netizenbuzz:

You, yourself, talk religion, but ask for the other party to leave religion out of it.

If you want to be treated fairly in life, start by behaving fairly.
Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by Adonis3: 9:29pm On Feb 14, 2016
this dumb feminism mentality has really killed a lotta virtues in women

First ask yourself why your mum respects your dad

Women claim they can't be "subjects" to their husbands and believe they can just behave anyhow

because they have been brainwashed to think they're equal to men

Yet, they expect the men to treat them like eggs and pamper them

NB: I'm not in support of wife/woman beating

Any woman that wants her husband to treat her like a QUEEN must be ready to treat him like a KING!!!

Let the bashings come in

#Adonis3HasSopken

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Feb 14, 2016
As a man, if my woman respects me, then my efforts to please her are not wasted. If she does not respect me, i'll look elsewhere or i would'nt even be with her in the first place
Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Feb 14, 2016
sinequanon:

You, yourself, talk religion, but ask for the other party to leave religion out of it.

If you want to be treated fairly in life, start by behaving fairly.
And because you were looking to hate, you totally missed the point. My 'leave' religion out of it was basically "what other reason do you have for wanting to be respected besides religion and culture?"

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by gentlegenius(m): 10:04pm On Feb 14, 2016
Respect and submission is important to a man just like Love is important to a woman. This is because men are egoistic in nature and therefore, their major need is to be respected while women are emotional in nature, therefore, their major need is to be loved.
From the biblical point of view, a man was commanded to love his wife just like Christ loved the church. But a woman was commanded to submit to her husband because he is her head( Ephesians 5: 22-25).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Feb 14, 2016
Adonis3:

Women claim they can't be "subjects" to their husbands and believe they can just behave anyhow

Any woman that wants her husband to treat her like a QUEEN must be ready to treat him like a KING!!!

Let the bashings come in

#Adonis3HasSopken

What have I said, what is this one saying? This is not a feminist rant so please look for somewhere else to cry. This is not the place. Virtues in women, virtues in women. Your stupid rant clearly shows the type of virtues you have as a man undecided

4 Likes

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Feb 14, 2016
mayonnaise:
As a man, if my woman respects me, then my efforts to please her are not wasted. If she does not respect me, i'll look elsewhere or i would'nt even be with her in the first place

Thanks for your contribution, you've made the most sense here. At least you believe you must have done something to earn the respect. I agree with you.

2 Likes

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by poik(m): 10:52pm On Feb 14, 2016
netizenbuzz:

When you want to give an opinion, give one that is entirely yours.
I tend to have a problem when you want to say what the Bible did not say.
I am a Christian, and my wife has to submit to me BECAUSE the Scripture says so. No where in the Bible did it say that submission is mutual. the man is commanded to LOVE his wife.
Our problem is that too much movies and westernization has eroded both our cultural and Christian values.
I don't mean to sound misogynistic, but have you wondered why the Bible is mostly silent about women in demographic analysis?
From Genesis, one of the curses God laid on the woman for commiting adultery with the serpent was that her desire will be to her husband, and he will rule over her. that's the Scripture. Any other thing is just sentiment. you find this in Genesis 3.
Intrinsically, God made man symbol of authority, its in our DNAs.When we get attracted to someone who will show us respect, it happens without our knowing it, or having control over it.
i wouldn't advocate for the man to abuse the woman's submissiveness, but the family unit has an organogram which has to be followed strictly.
The fact that an opinion is popular does not mean it is right before God. He will only vindicate the truth. Respect is not reciprocal. A Christian gives it because God demands it, not because the receiver is deserving of it.

2 Likes

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by sinequanon: 10:56pm On Feb 14, 2016
netizenbuzz:

And because you were looking to hate, you totally missed the point. My 'leave' religion out of it was basically "what other reason do you have for wanting to be respected besides religion and culture?"

You are in denial.

Why did you mention the Bible when talking about pride, then ask for religion to be kept out of it?

A submissive woman is no use to me. Submission is not respect. It is disrespect. For two adults to grow in a relationship, you need respect, not submission. When it comes to spiritual growth, submission is a lose-lose prospect for both.

True respect is based on positivity and is never one-sided.

If you think you see one-sided respect, look more closely. It is not true respect and it is based on something negative like fear, inhibition or subordination.

I don't know where you are seeing "hate" in what I have said, but I suspect it has to do with your lack of respect rebounding.

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Feb 14, 2016
Adonis3:

Let the bashings come in

#Adonis3HasSopken
It is not as if those feminism like to be called one but the society and culture of the land has forced them to be recon with. For example some part of Africa see nothing wrong in men cheating on their wives but wrong if their wives do likewise or else they would be called harlots and all sorts of names not minding the fact those they sleep with are peoples' wives, daughters, sisters e.t.c.Husbands goes as far making charms what the Yorubas call magu or whatever to tame their wives. The irony of it is that they don't prepare such charms for women because it is a taboo but when it involve the men they see nothing wrong. Secondly inheritance of properties is exclusively to male offsprings in some parts of Nigeria that it causes conflict among husbands and wives. In most cases the husband's family blame the wife for producing only females forgetting the fact that it is what the man deposited inside her that she produces. Thirdly the believe that women work ends in the kitchen and no need to sponsor their education as being an issue for long and it is still on in some parts of the world e.t.c
Women ought to be submissive to their husbands while men are to treat wives as queens but the reality is the opposite although not in all cases. Most women would respect and be submissive to their husbands when they earn it. For example it is callous and wicked for a man to beat up his wife and expect respect and submissiveness and it is stupid for woman to fight and abuse(verbal) her husband just to seek attention. There are many ways of killing a rat happy valentine.

3 Likes

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by kirchofff(m): 11:00pm On Feb 14, 2016
An average man has pride, also check out other male animals( lion etc) u'll see dat its only normal 4 males to have pride
Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by Adonis3: 11:04pm On Feb 14, 2016
netizenbuzz:

What have I said, what is this one saying? This is not a feminist rant so please look for somewhere else to cry. This is not the place. Virtues in women, virtues in women. Your stupid rant clearly shows the type of virtues you have as a man undecided

then what is itundecided

Why is it that whenever you folks wanna argue about issues like this, you ask to leave religion out of it??

But would be the first to quote scriptures to buttress points on other topics

The GOD given mandate to couples is for the woman to RESPECT her husband and the man in turn to LOVE his wife

Why should you now try to contest that, asking why we love respect

I mean, who doesn't??

No matter what, he's your husband and you're bound to respect him, same way he's bound to love you

If you feel he doesn't deserve your respect or you don't get the desired love from him

Please, you are free to opt out of the union!

#Adonis3HasSopken

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by Nobody: 11:05pm On Feb 14, 2016
poik:

I am a Christian, and my wife has to submit to me BECAUSE the Scripture says so. No where in the Bible did it say that submission is mutual. the man is commanded to LOVE his wife.
Our problem is that too much movies and westernization has eroded both our cultural and Christian values.
I don't mean to sound misogynistic, but have you wondered why the Bible is mostly silent about women in demographic analysis?
From Genesis, one of the curses God laid on the woman for commiting adultery with the serpent was that her desire will be to her husband, and he will rule over her. that's the Scripture. Any other thing is just sentiment. you find this in Genesis 3.
Intrinsically, God made man symbol of authority, its in our DNAs.When we get attracted to someone who will show us respect, it happens without our knowing it, or having control over it.
i wouldn't advocate for the man to abuse the woman's submissiveness, but the family unit has an organogram which has to be followed strictly.
The fact that an opinion is popular does not mean it is right before God. He will only vindicate the truth. Respect is not reciprocal. A Christian gives it because God demands it, not because the receiver is deserving of it.
Eve did not sleep with the serpent in the first place but was only lured to disobey God's command on eating the forbidden fruit.

2 Likes

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Feb 14, 2016
poik:

Oga, it is clearly stated in Ephesians 5:21, it is not my opinion. Where did I say a man should stop being the head? Read my article again please. You say love? Love comes with humility as Christ continually showed. Why don't you advocate that instead? Jesus was and is still the most disrespected man that ever liveth, yet he never stopped loving us. Love should cover all things including disrespect but it is the other way round with you. You respect me, I show you love. You say respect isn't reciprocal? Well, we can say the same about love then. By your logic, if I am your wife, I don't have to love you since I'm only asked to respect you right? Does that even make sense to you? At the end of the day, you didn't answer my question, you only came out extremely defensive. I can't say I'm surprised. Before we say ah, you people shout westernization but alas, you are online because of the so called westernization. Why pick only what suits you? How selfish. God also cursed man that he would till the ground to eat but woe betide a woman that wants a man who can provide. Gold digger alert. Stop speaking from the two sides of your mouth uncle. You cannot eat your cake and have it.

4 Likes

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by sinequanon: 11:10pm On Feb 14, 2016
kirchofff:
An average man has pride, also check out other male animals( lion etc) u'll see dat its only normal 4 males to have pride

In a clan of hyenas, the males have the lowest status, according to some studies. Even an adult male is lower status than a female cub.

In a pack of dogs, the dominant dog could be male or female.

Nature is not as simple as males being dominant or "having pride".

2 Likes

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by fibonacciseries(f): 11:14pm On Feb 14, 2016
Thumb up for you!

netizenbuzz:

Oga, it is clearly stated in Ephesians 5:21, it is not my opinion. Where did I say a man should stop being the head? Read my article again please. You say love? Love comes with humility as Christ continually showed. Why don't you advocate that instead? Jesus was and is still the most disrespected man that ever liveth, yet he never stopped loving us. Love should cover all things including disrespect but it is the other way round with you. You respect me, I show you love. You say respect isn't reciprocal? Well, we can say the same about love then. By your logic, if I am your wife, I don't have to love you since I'm only asked to respect you right? Does that even make sense to you? At the end of the day, you didn't answer my question, you only came out extremely defensive. I can't say I'm surprised. Before we say ah, you people shout westernization but alas, you are online because of the so called westernization. Why pick only what suits you? How selfish. God also cursed man that he would till the ground to eat but woe betide a woman that wants a man who can provide. Gold digger alert. Stop speaking from the two sides of your mouth uncle. You cannot eat your cake and have it.

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Feb 14, 2016
Adonis3:

then what is itundecided

Why is it that whenever you folks wanna argue about issues like this, you ask to leave religion out of it??

But would be the first to quote scriptures to buttress points on other topics

The GOD given mandate to couples is for the woman to RESPECT her husband and the man in turn to LOVE his wife

Why should you now try to contest that, asking why we love respect

I mean, who doesn't??

No matter what, he's your husband and you're bound to respect him, same way he's bound to love you

If you feel he doesn't deserve your respect or you don't get the desired love from him

Please, you are free to opt out of the union!

#Adonis3HasSopken

"Who doesn't want respect?" Why not ask your fellow men why they find it so difficult to respect their women then? Eph 5:21 demands submission from both sides. I think until we realize as human beings that we were all fearfully and wonderfully made in the sight of God, and no one can create the other, it is only then we would be able to treat one another right irrespective of gender.

2 Likes

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Feb 14, 2016
@OP

I share in your thought. In fact, I'm a strong proponent of the school of thought which states that respect is earned not given- in order words, respect is reciprocal. Therefore, I dislike autocracy in all forms.

However, some women (petty men and most little children inclusive) are good in abusing over-familiarity from a man who's good intentions. Although, I know that it's a common knowledge that over familiarity breeds contempt, but a morally sound and virtuous woman will always avoid allowing over-familiarity to cause her to show contempt to his man who strives so hard to accord her care and love and understanding. So, real men starts to demand respect by force or in some cases develop hatred for their women when their labored efforts to live morally sound, care, love and share understanding toward their wives failed to earn them respect from same wives. No sane person like to be taking for granted for too long.

Case study: Watch the reaction of a lady the very first day you bought her a gift, no matter how little in value the gift maybe, when you both were mere friends, at such instance you will see a lady full of gratitude. Now, observe the same lady, when you are fully familiarized with her/into a relationship with her, bought her gift of same value or even one of greater value but not her expectation and watch her react either directly or indirectly showing her act of ingratitude, if she's a woman with bad attitude.

In summary, the more familiarized a man get with a woman of ill attitudes, the worse she became and the end result always is forceful demands of respect from the husband. Here I only speak for morally sound men who had been taken for granted by women of poor attitude.

2 Likes

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by kirchofff(m): 11:35pm On Feb 14, 2016
sinequanon:

In a clan of hyenas, the males have the lowest status, according to some studies. Even an adult male is lower status than a female cub.

In a pack of dogs, the dominant dog could be male or female.

Nature is not as simple as males being dominant or "having pride".
males are always dominant(tho there as some exceptions as u stated) but majority of males like to control their territories, they always wanna take charge
Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by Dorobuccii(f): 12:00am On Feb 15, 2016
poik:

Eph 5:21
check that out

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by Dorobuccii(f): 12:11am On Feb 15, 2016
This mentality that most people have about the different roles people of different gender have to play is one of the main causes of male violence in the society

You see guys coming here to say things like Men are meant to be respected bla bla bla...The bible only commands WIVES to submit to their HUSBANDS and not girls to submit to boys or girlfriends to submit to their boyfriends.

it's this kind of mentality that will cause some guys to go out and rape girls in a bid to forcefully gain their submission. it's this same belief that will allow husbands to beat and maltreat their wives and you still hear some people asking the woman to endure.

If there is mutual love between you two then there will be respect. I believe love comes with respect. Respect can't and shouldn't be forced, it has to be earned. if you find yourself not being respected then you have to check yourself again and don't come here ranting about women, feminist and virtues!

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by sinequanon: 12:41am On Feb 15, 2016
Dorobuccii:
if you find yourself not being respected then you have to check yourself again and don't come here ranting about women, feminist and virtues!

So many feminists don't check themselves. Their first answer is to blame men.

Any man who tolerates that is not doing so out of respect, but as a concession for whatever gratification he is looking for in a relationship.

Any woman who thinks she can get away with it must know that it isn't her character that the man admires. She knows what her trump card is in the eyes of such men, and she is only disrespecting herself.

So, these types of disrespectful people tend to be drawn to one another.

Respectful folk won't relate to them.
Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by inkon: 1:54am On Feb 15, 2016
Oops!
These people again?

Well, I don't know what to do with a woman that doesn't respect me. If I can't love her, I can't keep her. My love for her is unconditional and so must her submission and respect for me.

You really want know, eh?
Okay! I man craves for respect because if he doesn't get it, at least within the circle of his own home, something in him will die and if that thing dies, it takes God to bring such a man back to his usual self. You wonna know what that thing is? You already called it by its name, "ego".

Ego isn't pride my dear. Ego means sense of self value while pride is when one begins to think that he is better than others.

One needs ego to be a man. Before you question this, first asked me why men grow moustaches and women don't; why men become bald and women don't, then I will know who I'm debating with.

I so much respect people who utilize their believe without polluting the peace others enjoy. A woman who needs a man she can disrespect and still bear his name should pray for it. There is abundance of everything in this world. She will certainly get a dummy I assure you.

Sadly, those feminists who advocate all what, try very hard to maintain happy homes. I know one. At home, she is a sweet wife and mother of two. But outside her home, she is a feminist. She uses other people's husbands as specimen while hers enjoys all the respect a woman can give. But I blame the gullible folks.

I believe I've answered your question. Now let me ask you: what exactly do women want? Are you comfortable with a world where women lead the homes? Forget this equality bulllahit. It can never work that way. One must take instructions from the other. Be sincere in answering my question.

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Is Respect So Important To You? by Dorobuccii(f): 4:04am On Feb 15, 2016
sinequanon:

So many feminists don't check themselves. Their first answer is to blame men.

A true feminist's first answer is not to blame men. I mean feminism is not a woman's matter alone, there are lots of men that are also feminist. Most of the leaders of developed countries are feminists.
Feminists blame the patriarchal system operating in most part of the world that tends to encourage inequality between sexes.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Wow!! This Boobs Are Very Lovely- See Photo / 7 Reasons Guys Love Eating Your Pussy [18+please] / You Wouldn't Believe What I Saw While Smoking Weed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.