Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,053 members, 7,810,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:48 PM

Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill (20079 Views)

Nigeria’s New Money Laundering Bill Will Weaken Anti-corruption Fight — Falana / Pass Money Laundering Bill, Buhari Tells NASS / New Money Laundering Bill: 7-year Prison Term Without Option Of Fine Awaits Offe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Caseless: 9:10pm On Feb 15, 2016
However, another hope to tackle money laun­dering cases in Nigeria has been rekindled by President Buhari, who recently sent the “Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibi­tion) bill 2016” to the National Assembly for con­sideration. [b]In analysis, the bill seeks to establish Bureau for Money Laundering Control (BMLC), which would be independent in the discharge of its functions and responsibilities. According to the “Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) bill 2016”, any perpetrator of the crime is defined as “a person who knows, ought reasonably to have known or suspects that property has a criminal origin, commits an offence, if he conceals, dis­guises, converts, transfers or removes the property from Nigeria. The bill prescribes stiff penalty for anybody found culpable of the offence and upon conviction shall be in imprisonment for a term of not less than seven years without the option of a fine. Under the “Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) bill 2016”, any bank that is found guilty of money laundering would be liable for the fine of not less than N25 million and a designated non-financial business and profession would get a fine of not less that N10 Million if found guilty of the offence. The proposed bill also stipulates three years imprisonment or above for anybody that fails to report persons involved in the illicit act.[/b]

It is self-evident that Buhari’s anti-money laun­dering bill is in tandem with the urgent necessity to establish a formidable financial intelligence body to combat money laundering, terrorist financing activities and other predicate offences in Nige­ria. Such a body — as required under the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act 2012 (as amended), the Terrorism (Prevention) Act 2013 (as amended) or any other relevant law or regulation — would have mechanisms for sound policy and decision – making requiring adequate, quality and timely information analysis necessary for tracking and choking off the flow of proceeds from illicit activi­ties that could impact negatively on our economy and national security in a more deeply or rapidly way.

Culled from:

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/buharis-anti-money-laundering-bill/

11 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by chriskosherbal(m): 9:12pm On Feb 15, 2016
It's a good one

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Flexherbal(m): 9:14pm On Feb 15, 2016
I hope the house will pass this on time.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by oduastates: 9:18pm On Feb 15, 2016
Flexherbal:

I am waiting to see how long it will take them to pass the bill.
Nigeria has over $600 billion stashed overseas by her corrupt businessmen and politicians .

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Nobody: 9:21pm On Feb 15, 2016
Flexherbal:

I can bet you that they'll water it down before passage; if they'll even pass it

7 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Topeakintola: 9:23pm On Feb 15, 2016
This is an opportunity for the Senate and HOR to step up and enshrine this bill into law

Regardless of your political affiliation, it is glaring that corruption is slowly eating up the country alive

This is a good bill that will provide institutional reforms in the country's public sector and also led to overall change

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by AngryNigerian(m): 9:35pm On Feb 15, 2016
Buu-buu's face though...

3 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Caseless: 9:59pm On Feb 15, 2016
kITATITA:

I can bet you that they'll water it down before passage; if they'll even pass it
trust the NASS at your peril.

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Caseless: 9:59pm On Feb 15, 2016
AngryNigerian:
Buu-buu's face though...
angry

I just de look you.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Caseless: 10:00pm On Feb 15, 2016
Topeakintola:
This is an opportunity for the Senate and HOR to step up and enshrine this bill into law

Regardless of your political affiliation, it is glaring that corruption is slowly eating up the country alive

This is a good bill that will provide institutional reforms in the country's public sector and also led to overall change
one carton of indomie for you!

4 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Elosky20: 10:04pm On Feb 15, 2016
oduastates:

Nigeria has over $600 billion stashed overseas by her corrupt businessmen and politicians .
imagine this amount of money will be enough for our budget from 2016-2032.
i knw that our yam eating senators will frustrate the bill. because all of them have been involved in money laundry previously, its quite unfortunate that the senate house have turned to a pension ground for former governors that have corruption cases on their neck and still have the audacity to make law for the innocent masses,
even the senate president that is presiding over the bill is facing corruption and falsification of assets charges so i wonder who will support the bill.
but i believe that buhari has good intentions for nigerians.
sai BUHARI
SAI CHANGE
#bringBackOurYam

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Caseless: 10:06pm On Feb 15, 2016
oduastates:

shocked shocked

Where are those anti-corruption crusaders like mynd44 and lalasticlala?

9 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Topeakintola: 10:13pm On Feb 15, 2016
Caseless:
one carton of indomie for you!

Thank you bro

It is what we need right now

Lalasticlala abeg do the needful

Another common sense thread

6 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Iroh88(m): 10:27pm On Feb 15, 2016
The recommended punitive reprimand for flouting this law, if it sees the light of day, is grossly insufficient for me as a deterrent. The jail time for the offender is short and the minimum fine for the financial institutions involved is too small.

We need a lot more drastic means if we want to really discourage these folks from getting their hands soiled.

Regardless, this is really commendable from the president. Gradually but surely, we'd build institutional frameworks that make looting very unattractive for our politicians and businessmen. It was what I voted him for, it is exactly what he's doing.

Just like Obiagelli said, my loyalty to Nigeria and her president remain firmly intact. All he needs is time. If after four years he gives me sufficient reasons to think otherwise, they so shall it be.

God bless Nigeria.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by patrickmuf(m): 10:54pm On Feb 15, 2016
Not adequate but a step in the right direction...
I'd suggest a minimum of 25yrs jail term for offenders and a fine of N500m for institutions found wanting...If we must get it right, we must support this bill by pressuring our NASS members online and offline especially that twitter senator

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by johnmartus(m): 10:54pm On Feb 15, 2016
How i wish the bill become lawgrin before the court deliver saraki case he can go and serve seven years imprison with hard labourcheesy

2 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Caseless: 6:10am On Feb 16, 2016
Iroh88:
The recommended punitive reprimand for flouting this law, if it sees the light of day, is grossly insufficient for me as a deterrent. The jail time for the offender is short and the minimum fine for the financial institutions involved is too small.

We need a lot more drastic means if we want to really discourage these folks from getting their hands soiled.

Regardless, this is really commendable from the president. Gradually but surely, we'd build institutional frameworks that make looting very unattractive for our politicians and businessmen. It was what I voted him for, it is exactly what he's doing.

Just like Obiagelli said, my loyalty to Nigeria and her president remain firmly intact. All he needs is time. If after four years he gives me sufficient reasons to think otherwise, they so shall it be.

God bless Nigeria.
same feeling. 7 years jail term to me is too small. Lets go tough like we did on gay marriage- 14 years and above.

any bank that is found guilty of money laundering would be liable for the fine of not less than N25 million and a designated non-financial business and profession would get a fine of not less that N10 Million if found guilty of the offence.

The bill, having defined who a perpetrator is, also tries to create a softspot for the least person on the ladder , I.e the person who knows about the criminal origin of such funds, but conceals it; this person might be an ordinary person or a cashier in the bank who might not be able to afford 10 million naira fine. But don't forget, the bill says not less than ...so any bank found wanting can be asked to pay 2 billion or an individual to pay hundreds of million.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by AngryNigerian(m): 6:43am On Feb 16, 2016
Caseless:
angry

I just de look you.

...or you de look im face, wen b like, "Aphta I phinis funishn dzis kwuruft pholitishans...nobwody will eva kwundone any of dzis again!"

I kinda like dze man though grin grin grin
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Pavore9: 6:50am On Feb 16, 2016
Hope the National assembly would not drag its feet on this!
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by disloman(m): 6:52am On Feb 16, 2016
patrickmuf:
I'd suggest a minimum of 25yrs jail term for offenders and a fine of N500m for institutions found wanting...If we must get it right, we must support this bill by pressuring our NASS members online and offline especially that twitter senator
Seems like you read my mind.Those penalties are too soft.What I'm still looking for is for those who are found guilty to lose 95% of their properties.

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by docadams: 6:57am On Feb 16, 2016
The NASS should step down this bill. How long are we going to continue to make laws favourable to looters and fraudsters?
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Caseless: 6:57am On Feb 16, 2016
AngryNigerian:

...or you de look im face, wen b like, "Aphta I phinis funishn dzis kwuruft pholitishans...nobwody will eva kwundone any of dzis again!"

I kinda like dze man though grin grin grin
same here. grin
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Caseless: 6:58am On Feb 16, 2016
Topeakintola:

Thank you bro

It is what we need right now

Lalasticlala abeg do the needful

Another common sense thread
cool cool
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Newway2(m): 8:30am On Feb 16, 2016
U speak my mind bro. D jail term shldn't be less than 25yrs. All properties (belonging to the offerder & his/her immediate families) must be confiscated. Anybody that aid corruption must get 10yrs min.
The institution shld be fined not less than N1B. These are d only way to deter goats from eating our yams.

God bless Nigeria.

patrickmuf:
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by 989900: 9:31am On Feb 16, 2016
. . . won't pass as long as Saraki is SP.
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Caseless: 8:17pm On Feb 18, 2016
989900:
. . . won't pass as long as Saraki is SP.
where's lalasticlala and mynd44 sef? Keneking, call them pls.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by kilokeys(m): 8:27pm On Feb 18, 2016
Abeg undecided someone should explain something to me..
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by ColtPython(m): 8:28pm On Feb 18, 2016
I doubt those greedy lawmakers will be willing to pass this particular bill

angry
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by yomalex(m): 8:29pm On Feb 18, 2016
Okay
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by adult91: 8:29pm On Feb 18, 2016
Una vote mallam de find "change". The only change wey mallam fit get na 20naira change
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by PeinDanzo(m): 8:29pm On Feb 18, 2016
Elosky20:

imagine this amount of money will be enough for our budget from 2016-2032.
i knw that our yam eating senators will frustrate the bill. because all of them have been involved in money laundry previously, its quite unfortunate that the senate house have turned to a pension ground for former governors that have corruption cases on their neck and still have the audacity to make law for the innocent masses,
even the senate president that is presiding over the bill is facing corruption and falsification of assets charges so i wonder who will support the bill.
but i believe that buhari has good intentions for nigerians.
sai BUHARI
SAI CHANGE
#bringBackOurYam

Place ur head on ur computer and receive sense!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EFCC: Fayose Got Contracts Kickback To Buy Mansions / Updated: Tribunal Strikes Out Petition Challenging Abiodun Faleke’s Victory / Edo 2020: Oshiomole Says He Regrets Supporting Obaseki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.