Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,733 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! (4921 Views)

Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics / Governor Peter Obi's Multi Billion Naira Mall In Abuja / Governor Peter Obi Defend His Goverment Over Nasir El Rufai Accusations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by twinstaiye(m): 8:48am On Nov 02, 2006
Just heard it over the radio few minutes ago that Anambra State Governor Mr Peter Obi has just been impeached. Those who are in Anambra and environs should please confirm the story. I am however not surprised with the turn of the events because the tenure of office of the governor is a bone of contention. There are agitations that he is entitled to 4 years given the circumstances that surrounds his mandate. The best option i guess is to impeach him, so as to pave way for a new election come May 2007.
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by yahoo2(m): 10:05am On Nov 02, 2006
I am hearing it on radio now too! Na wa for Nigeria o
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by Greycells(m): 10:41am On Nov 02, 2006
Na true o! It is flashing as breaking news on Punchng.com cry

Chris Uba & Co can now take over and loot the state silly cry

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by Hugoboi(m): 10:50am On Nov 02, 2006
What da f**K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by otokx(m): 11:00am On Nov 02, 2006
See wetin igbo man dey do; chei chineke, tomorrow dem go talk say marginalization; they have destroyed that state.
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by samik(m): 12:01pm On Nov 02, 2006
Hello friends,
This news is terrible! For ten years--no achievement, no development except the little we experienced from Dr. Chris Ngige.

May God deliver this Anambra state.
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by agboifo(f): 12:29pm On Nov 02, 2006
It's a very sad development. Who do the legislators really represent? When someone with the slightest modicum of integrity comes on stage and refuses to "play ball" the old way, he is booted out. I wish people can come together and prevent the retrogressives from having their way.

And to think that people like Pat Utomi think they can survive this type of political environment?
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by Eeyore(m): 12:47pm On Nov 02, 2006
@ otokx
Do not be deceived. The "powers that be" (u know, godfathers, tin-gods and their ilk) actually did the dirty works. It is not an Anambra thing, believe me. It is actually a political whirlwind that will sweep through' this country in the rundown to 2007' no thanks to the sit-tight syndrome affecting our useless leaders.

I'm not a prophet of doom, but I'm afraid that Nigerians are in for more political crises in the days ahead.

It's so, so sad what our politicians have reduced our beloved country to[shakes head sadly]
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by Oloks(m): 1:58pm On Nov 02, 2006
Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State impeached by State House of Assembly. Dep Gov Virginia Etiaba directed to take over.

Prof. Babalola Borishade dropped as Aviation Minister - Femi Fani-Kayode replaces him.

Mohammed Sada Abubakar, 53 year-old Army Colonel named new Sultan of Sokoto following the death of Sultan Ibrahim Maccido last Sunday
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by Odeku(m): 2:06pm On Nov 02, 2006
STORY STORY tell them, I don't know any thing about the sultan, I just read about that this morning, as for OBi he is claiming the house does not have the 21 member to impeach him, and the minister, well no comment, I still think it's wrong
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by jaycee133(m): 2:07pm On Nov 02, 2006
thanks to punch newspapper ur post is confirmed
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by otokx(m): 2:40pm On Nov 02, 2006
if its true that borishade has been sacked then he should be arrested by the police.
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by Grizzly(m): 2:41pm On Nov 02, 2006
So where is the goddammed link, ?  tongue
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by Odeku(m): 4:37pm On Nov 02, 2006
otokx arrested and charge with what crime? Nigeria people self. na wah oh
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by twinstaiye(m): 4:42pm On Nov 02, 2006
It got to be the anambra thing, the last regime of Mbadinuju throw the state into oblivion. I guess now is the time to sit down and put their acts together.
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by jonpinjeff(m): 6:59pm On Nov 02, 2006
The Same People with The Ambition To Rule Nigeria Cant Even Rule A State. Shame.
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by Oracle(m): 7:38pm On Nov 02, 2006
It is true, the guy has been impeached.

Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by TerraCotta(m): 7:55pm On Nov 02, 2006
jonpinjeff:

The Same People with The Ambition To Rule Nigeria Cant Even Rule A State. Shame.

Does that mean that people from Ekiti should never be president of Nigeria? Or that Alams has made it impossible for all future Ijaws to ever contend for the top job?

Perhaps you want to clarify your statement,
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by sexynes(f): 9:32pm On Nov 02, 2006
I'm tired of people playing with this country and Anambra state in particular. We all know what's really going on. Peter Obi was impeached because he wasn't siphoning money into Chris Uba's pockets. We all know as well that OBJ is in league with Chris Uba. I'm personally very sick of all this nonsense and I feel like if things don't get better in Nigeria as a whole, then the country would be heading towards a civil war.
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by Nobody: 10:24pm On Nov 02, 2006
Ok, can we have Ngige back?, He's the only one to do anything in Anambra state for as long as I can remember. BRING BACK NGIGE!
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by adconline(m): 10:57pm On Nov 02, 2006
odeku

Who  do you work for OBJ?  So because of your  tribal sentiments Borishade should be encouraged for overseeing a ministry has killed hundreds of Nigerian because of his ineptitude. Why cant  EFCC investigate him for  non-performance.  Universities went on strike for months under his tenure.  I wonder if you have lost a family member in a neglected situation like that.
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by lewa(m): 11:32pm On Nov 02, 2006
Borishade has no business in government-he should have been dropped as minister but for the fact that he's an astute OBJ yesman.EFCC only investigates corruption and financial crimes, so until a prima facie case of such is brought to a court of law Borishade can't be investigated for non-performance(Adcoline take note).He fouled up the educational sector and thrice senators refused to give him clearance as minister until his "father' weighed in.Shame on the country as a whole, the man is a monumental embarassment to PDP,OBJ,Nigeria and himself.This obviously shows the kind of leadership we have in Nigeria-morons in power, people with no business in aviation,finance or education are made ministers. I never understood the rationale' behind this
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by lewa(m): 11:41pm On Nov 02, 2006
Now back to Peter-i have said on another thread that the guy should have resigned honorably and gone home.The deal he cut with the Ubas and OBJ was to rid themselves of Ngige and when that was done the next thing was to plan his exit since he was becoming too powerful and popular as regards 2007. Anyways history and its cousin posterity stand firmly with those that know what they are dealing with and Obi is facing the evil machinations of PDP. It's a pity he did not see the writing on the wall and i wish him luck in his future endeavour(s).The Ubas and their minions have made monkey out of the state that gave us Dora, Chinua Achebe,Alex Ekwueme and numerous other distinguished Nigerians. THEY MUST BE STOPPED.
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by adconline(m): 6:43am On Nov 03, 2006
The reason why Borishade should be investigated is because his aviation ministry was allocated with billions of naira and yet he has nothing to show for it. I wonder if this  would constitute a prima facie  for EFFC to swing into action. But we are no fools, OBJ is calling the shots on whom to be investigated.
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by adconline(m): 7:47am On Nov 03, 2006
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by chyziani: 10:11am On Nov 03, 2006
All hail Nigerian Democracy! grin
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by gbaja(m): 10:59am On Nov 03, 2006
I feel really sorry for the people of Anambra State, because they produced some of the most prominent people from the whole of Eastern Nigeria.Among which are Ziks, Alex, Chuba, the recent Dora, Ngozi to mention but a few but the State is the worst I have ever visited  in the Eastern Nigeria.

The Impeachment of Peter Obi is an abuse to democracy, a criminal act, missuse of power and deliberate acts by some desperate set of people to enrich themselves with people's wealth.How can you justify a project proposed
for more than 300m and was executed  by the Gov. for about 33m-35m. The whole process is malicious and act of unprofessionalism by the Law makers. How can you justify an impeachment that was conducted out of the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria to be a legimate process.

I write to tell the entire people of Anambra State that they must rise against rascalism in the form of politics, enough is enough.
This is what I call the manifestation of democratic criminality under the rule of law.

I'm a servin corper in Onitsha, Anambra State from Kaduna State.
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by vanunu: 11:44am On Nov 03, 2006
Obi deserves the impeachement, he ordered the killings of hundreds of MASSOB members, including,women, children and infants. This is a crime against humanity, why should he call the military to shoot at site people calling for a saparate country, is it democracy,
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by kinzolic(m): 2:10pm On Nov 03, 2006
Jst heard it on d radio dat his deputy has been sweared in as d 1st female guv'nor in Nigeria although she rejected d offer as @ yesterday saying she was still loyal 2 her boss,wonder why she changed her mind sef?
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by lafile(m): 2:28pm On Nov 03, 2006
but why 5am?? na inside coven dem do the meeting?
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by loma(m): 2:42pm On Nov 03, 2006
First female governor in Nigeria

Virginia Etiaba has been sworn in as Nigeria's first female governor after Anambra state legislature impeached Peter Obi for gross misconduct.
She had been deputy governor in the south-eastern state and initially refused to take the position.

Mr Obi said he would not leave office and civil rights groups have criticised the whole process as unconstitutional.

A BBC correspondent says the battle could get more volatile if supporters of the two sides take to the streets.

Shock

Both Mrs Etiaba and Mr Obi, from the opposition All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), only occupied their posts in March this year.

The peculiarity of situation that has led me to accept the position

Virginia Etiaba

They took power after a court ruled that Mr Obi's predecessor had rigged the election in 2003.

Mr Obi told the BBC that he does not feel disappointed by Mrs Etiaba's decision to assume the office of governor as she was "just following the rule of the law".

He said that he would fight the impeachment in court as he "believes in the constitution".

The BBC's Abdulsalam Ahmed in Anambra's state capital, Awka, said 64-year-old Mrs Etiaba looked shocked after the impeachment on Thursday.

"The governor is my boss and he remains my boss," she said at the time.

But on Friday morning she was sworn in by the state's chief judge.

In a brief speech, she said she had accepted the position because of the "peculiarity of the situation".

Election battle

This is the fifth state to start impeachment proceedings against a governor this year.

Ex-Governor Ngige was sacked earlier this year

Some say the recent impeachments are part of the fight against corruption.

But critics say it is often more about rival politicians trying to take charge of the state so they can control the elections due early next year.

Chris Ngige, from the governing People's Democratic Party, had been Anambra's governor for three years, but had fallen out with senior party figures soon after the election.

He said it was because he refused to loot public money to pay them back for their support.

Since Mr Obi took office in March, he has been locked in a power struggle with one of the president's closest aides, Andy Uba, who wants to win the governorship in next year's elections.

Analysts say the impeachment process could only help this ambition.
Re: Anambra Governor - Peter Obi Has Been Impeached! by lewa(m): 4:47pm On Nov 03, 2006
Adcoline
i don't know of anyone saying that Borishade is corrupt, what is on ground is gross incompetence and maladministration.
What billions are you mentioning is this something you need to clarify

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa / Has Fashola Performed? / Why Kill My Unarmed Brothers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.