Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,703 members, 7,831,194 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

Hearty Cheers: Omoyele Sowore, Founder Of Sahara Reporters Turns 45 Today. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hearty Cheers: Omoyele Sowore, Founder Of Sahara Reporters Turns 45 Today. (1131 Views)

Omoyele Sowore Reacts To N4Billion Slammed Against Sahara Reporters / Omoyele Sowore Reacts To Dino Melaye Coming To Sue Him In New York / Dino Melaye's Name Is Missing From Convocation Brochure - Omoyele Sowore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hearty Cheers: Omoyele Sowore, Founder Of Sahara Reporters Turns 45 Today. by micronut(m): 4:55pm On Feb 16, 2016
Give it to him because he is good at what he does, "Investigative journalism".

He hit the nation’s consciousness, and headlines, with his fiery activism when he led the Students Union Government of the University of Lagos, Akoka, between 1992 and 1994. Since that baptism of fire, which peaked with the relentless national and global agitation for the revalidation of the June 12, 1993 presidential vote, won by the late Bashorun M. K. O Abiola, Omoyele Sowore never looked back.

While most of his colleagues chose the glittering broad way of life, the Ondo State-born activist voted for the narrow way. He voted for a path strewn with thorns and boulders. He chose a Spartan life, a life of vigorous and sometimes aggressive action in pursuing happiness and wellness of the greatest number of the people.

For his efforts, he got arrested and detained in various jailhouses eight times. He almost died in Abacha’s gulag. But he never buckled. Rather, the torture and excruciating pains of incarceration toughened him so much they became like narcotics needed to spur him to higher and more demanding levels of activism. Finally, he left Nigeria for America, not for the much-vaunted American dream but to search for channels and opportunities that would further equip him in the struggle for a better Nigeria. In the process, he founded the popular social media network, Sahara Reporters, which has become the biggest and the most popular platform for citizens’ journalism for Nigerians wherever they may be on the globe. In its short span of existence, saharareporters.com has become what some people appropriately label the Wikileak of Africa.

Sowore is an indigene of Ondo State in South West Nigeria. He was born on February 16, 1971 in the Niger Delta region of the country where he was also raised. He studied geography and planning at the University of Lagos and holds a master's degree in public administration from Colombia University. He teaches Modern African History at the City University of New York and Post Colonial African History at the School of Art, New York.

Few Remarks about Omoyele;

~Late Chief Gani Fawehinmi, SAN SAM. Says;
Let me begin by stating unequivocally that the personage, Omoyele Sowore, like every human, is susceptible to the frailties and fallibility inherent in the human nature. He is equally not immuned from the vulgarities of life which inhibits all mortals from attaining the status of sainthood associated with angels and the supernatural being - God.

~Former media advicer to Late President Umaru Yar'adua, Segun Adenyi wrote this about Omoyele;
"Within the Villa, it had become a constant irritant because it was evident there were moles within who were feeding the website information on the status of the health of the president.Some people considered me the prime suspect. But when the website began to publish information I could not possibly have, then the realization dawned that the sources must be closer than they imagined".

~In the same vein, former media advicer to immediate Past President, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, Dr. Reuben Abati has this to say about sahara reporters founder;
"He always insisted, however, that he had his facts, and that he knew more insiders than I could ever imagine. I was always shocked how State House documents and inside stories regularly found their way to his desk, and how on the day the President’s brother died, he had published the story even before anyone in Aso Rock knew".

~Oga Jarus of Jarushub has this to say about Omoyele; "I think the ungentleman deserves some accolades".

If the story of the end of PDP's reign of terror is written, Sahara Reporters will take half of the pages.
I am one of the few people that believe that Sahara Reporters are never an APC or PDP outfit, but an anti-bad governance medium.

I have reservations about their sometimes rushing to publish stories without completing the investigations leading to occasional inaccuracies (and their gaffes are very few and far between - which they don't apologize for), but you have to give it to this media outlet as one of the pillars of democracy in Nigeria.

Let me also quote this, "Omoyele Sowore represents different things to different people depending on ones social, economic and political leaning. To the corrupt politicians, the ruling class and their paid and unpaid apologists, Sowore is a tool in the hands of the opposition - a wild, unsubstantiated and indefensible charge that is yet to be proven with cogent and verifiable evidence. However, to the incorruptible and liberated victims of misrule, corruption and dictatorship, he represents the audacious candle that brightens the scars inflicted on the soul of our nation".

Happy Birthday to Mr. Omoyele Sowore.

Let me also use this singular opportunity to wish lalasticlala happy (2*) years of existience on earth. grin grin

Oga seun, lalasticlala, ishlove, and the political moderators; OAM4J and Mynd44

http://www.theelitesng.com/as-sahara-reporters-publisher-omoyele-sowore-turns-45-today/

Re: Hearty Cheers: Omoyele Sowore, Founder Of Sahara Reporters Turns 45 Today. by Aufbauh(m): 4:59pm On Feb 16, 2016
Happy birthday to an icon of the oppressed, the voice of the voiceless, the champion of the masses, an informant to the common man and nemesis to the oppressors.
He is a seasoned journalist per excellence.
Veni Vidi Vici, you came you saw and you conquered!

Hearty Cheers for the face of post-modern journalism!

2 Likes

Re: Hearty Cheers: Omoyele Sowore, Founder Of Sahara Reporters Turns 45 Today. by GEJ2019(m): 5:06pm On Feb 16, 2016
APC man
Re: Hearty Cheers: Omoyele Sowore, Founder Of Sahara Reporters Turns 45 Today. by tutorng: 5:06pm On Feb 16, 2016
Happy birthday! He looks soo young despite being 45. These are one of the people doing Nigeria proud.

1 Like

Re: Hearty Cheers: Omoyele Sowore, Founder Of Sahara Reporters Turns 45 Today. by yimikaa: 5:07pm On Feb 16, 2016
Happy birthday sir.

This dude can open any government's ass.
Re: Hearty Cheers: Omoyele Sowore, Founder Of Sahara Reporters Turns 45 Today. by micronut(m): 5:08pm On Feb 16, 2016
GEJ2019:
APC man

Lol.. He has been an activist long before APC as a party was birthed.

2 Likes

Re: Hearty Cheers: Omoyele Sowore, Founder Of Sahara Reporters Turns 45 Today. by Babacele: 5:17pm On Feb 16, 2016
God bless Omoyole, na only God fit pay you back. Happy Birthday sir.
Re: Hearty Cheers: Omoyele Sowore, Founder Of Sahara Reporters Turns 45 Today. by ronald4lif(m): 5:24pm On Feb 16, 2016
Happy birthday Yele Sowore, the annilihator of the oppressors and looters in power. You've done and still doing your country proud.
Re: Hearty Cheers: Omoyele Sowore, Founder Of Sahara Reporters Turns 45 Today. by seunmsg(m): 6:10pm On Feb 16, 2016
Happy Birthday to Yele Sowore, a true patriot and believer in good governance. He really redefined investigative journalism in Nigeria. I wish him many more years in good health and service to the nation.
Re: Hearty Cheers: Omoyele Sowore, Founder Of Sahara Reporters Turns 45 Today. by johnmartus(m): 6:22pm On Feb 16, 2016
H.B.D.
Re: Hearty Cheers: Omoyele Sowore, Founder Of Sahara Reporters Turns 45 Today. by Nobody: 6:54pm On Feb 16, 2016
Great, so him and our able lalasticlala share the same date. But one senior one for age sha undecided
Re: Hearty Cheers: Omoyele Sowore, Founder Of Sahara Reporters Turns 45 Today. by OlujobaSamuel: 10:27pm On Feb 16, 2016
happy b'day bros. lala, I greet you too even though you no remember mine 3days ago(feb 13).
Egbon Omoyele, I hope to work with or for you someday. You go last for us.
Re: Hearty Cheers: Omoyele Sowore, Founder Of Sahara Reporters Turns 45 Today. by babyfaceafrica: 11:27pm On Feb 16, 2016
Nice one..he looks 35

(1) (Reply)

Another Girl Kidnapped In Sokoto Allegedly Housed By The Sultan: Photo / Naira Versus The Dollar, Jonathan’s Policies As Buhari’s Challenges / Obiano Lauds Obi Over Financial Prudence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.