Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,830 members, 7,820,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. (5463 Views)

Retired Soldier Takes Over The Kitchen. Says "Help Your Wives, You Wont Die" / "I Travelled For 1 Week & My Husband Turned My Kitchen To This" - Woman / ”For 19 Years I’ve Always Cleaned The Kitchen After My Wife Cooks”– Twitter User (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by goodfornothing(m): 4:25pm On Feb 18, 2016
Men can clean the rooms, the dishes, the toilet, water the flower, sit their babies and do every other house chores but they should leave the kitchen for the woman! Men don't look good in apron. The sight irritates me!
If your wife is the Nairaland type that can't add maggi, vegetable, crayfish and water together to make a soup, I suppose you employ a female cook to handle that task. It's just my opinion! undecided

4 Likes

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by PresVA: 4:41pm On Feb 18, 2016
"Men don't look good in aprons" ..is kitchen for fashion? undecided

if your wife falls ill or becomes heavily pregnant, you starve because men don't look good in aprons. . Hunger never catch you. .

If the apron is your problem, then don't wear it...

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by greatgod2012(f): 4:49pm On Feb 18, 2016
"men are not good on apron"
But some men earn their living from putting on aprons, they are called chefs.

If you don't like yourself with aprons, its not bad, but saying it as if it's a taboo is totally wrong.
My own opinion too.
Peace!

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by kaziblake(f): 5:31pm On Feb 18, 2016
What about the men who are chefs?

12 Likes

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by Beremx(f): 5:32pm On Feb 18, 2016
If putting an apron to cook is your problem then men shouldn't wear Apron na!
Op, you no get talk.

15 Likes

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by CallmeKola(m): 6:25pm On Feb 18, 2016
Primitivity.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by hesiod: 6:35pm On Feb 18, 2016
Cooking is an art. everyone can cook ratatouillie. I know the taste of a well prepared dish and appreciate all the efforts put into it.

I treat my loved ones to some special cuisines once in a while. Sunday works fantastic for me. it affords me the freedom and peace of mind to experiment without distractions. They are always excited any Sunday I elect to serve them cos they are sure to met something special once back from church.

Once in a while is the magic. Family is the best place to be.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by DeMekus: 6:47pm On Feb 18, 2016
I'm also of the opinion that cooking shouldn't be a man's duty. A man can learn how to cook as an advantage to bachelorhood. But once he's married, the wife ought to take over immediately. It's not really about how they look in the apron. It is un-African; to hell with your civilisation.
My only problem is the way the Op addressed the topic.
Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by ivyT(f): 6:59pm On Feb 18, 2016
Op,if you say so..if they are not supposed to,atleast they can help once in a while..
Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by ivyT(f): 7:02pm On Feb 18, 2016
CallmeKola:
Primitivity.
Exactly..some pple no wan progress in life

2 Likes

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by ivyT(f): 7:02pm On Feb 18, 2016
CallmeKola:
Primitivity.
Exactly..some pple no wan progress in life

6 Likes

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by ivyT(f): 7:03pm On Feb 18, 2016
hesiod:
Cooking is an art. everyone can cook ratatouillie. I know the taste of a well prepared dish and appreciate all the efforts put into it.

I treat my loved ones to some special cuisines once in a while. Sunday works fantastic for me. it affords me the freedom and peace of mind to experiment without distractions. They are always excited any Sunday I elect to serve them cos they are sure to met something special once back from church.

Once in a while is the magic. Family is the best place to be.

Gbam!

Mehn,i really like that ratatouille movie..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by ronald4lif(m): 7:09pm On Feb 18, 2016
DeMekus:
I'm also of the opinion that cooking shouldn't be a man's duty. A man can learn how to cook as an advantage to bachelorhood. But once he's married, the wife ought to take over immediately. It's not really about how they look in the apron. It is un-African; to hell with your civilisation.
My only problem is the way the Op addressed the topic.

It used to be un-African for women to work, earn their own money and contribute to the financial running of the home but that's not the case today. So, would you also propose women should stop working and return to their former role of housewives?

26 Likes

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by ronald4lif(m): 7:13pm On Feb 18, 2016
Your reasons for men not to be in the kitchen are frivolous and utter nonsense. Anyone can be in the kitchen and fix their own meals and for the married a man can prepare family meals too just like the women can. That a rod is dangling between your legs is no reason not to be part of culinary duties.

When you come up with rational reasons then we can debate on them. For now, these and indeed any other reason(s) are cobblers.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by DeMekus: 10:02pm On Feb 18, 2016
ronald4lif:

It used to be un-African for women to work, earn their own money and contribute to the financial running of the home but that's not the case today. So, would you also propose women should stop working and return to their former role of housewives?
You didn't get my point. Among other things the African man was not supposed to do before now, I think the "stay away from the kitchen" rule should remain, if nothing at all, to show why we're different from the white folks. It doesn't take away the women's right to be respected. I, for instance, can wash my wife's clothes but can't force her to wash mine. I can sit and feed my baby too if need be. But I can never enter the kitchen to cook her meals; let that be my own dividend of being a married man.
Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by Nobody: 10:24pm On Feb 18, 2016
Shoronieyn undecided

1 Like

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by armyofone(m): 11:16pm On Feb 18, 2016
His cooking nakid of course. Best food ever kiss

2 Likes

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by Tolatutu: 1:32am On Feb 19, 2016
ronald4lif:

Gbam are you minding the hypocrite

6 Likes

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by Tolatutu: 1:34am On Feb 19, 2016
DeMekus:

You didn't get my point. Among other things the African man was not supposed to do before now, I think the "stay away from the kitchen" rule should remain, if nothing at all, to show why we're different from the white folks. It doesn't take away the women's right to be respected. I, for instance, can wash my wife's clothes but can't force her to wash mine. I can sit and feed my baby too if need be. But I can never enter the kitchen to cook her meals; let that be my own dividend of being a married man.

So you want to pick what traditional roles should remain according to what suits you riight It doesn't make you feel "UnAfrican" for your wife to help with bills but its "UnAfrican" for you to cook You're a clown

24 Likes

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by naijathings(m): 4:37am On Feb 19, 2016
PresVA:
"Men don't look good in aprons" ..is kitchen for fashion? undecided

if your wife falls ill or becomes heavily pregnant, you starve because men don't look good in aprons. . Hunger never catch you. .

If the apron is your problem, then don't wear it...

I grew up in a house with 4 sisters and 2 maids and plenty aunts and they kept saying KITCHEN IS NOT FOR MEN. thank God i didn't listen to that crap.
Now I can cook from soup to jollof rice, from eba and semo to moin moin, fried chicken (southern style) to sauced kpomo and I keep learning. Nothing sweet me pass when I don finish to cook. it is an art and i learnt it with interest just the way I learnt how to drive a car, paint a house, repair electronics from laptop to phone, use DJ equipment, mount AC, use autoCAD 2&3D, write HTML codes, mix cement, barb my hair and many other things I AM ABLE to do.

One thing I will not do is to cook when my woman is in d house. she MUST cook except she is sick and there is nobody to help her do the cooking. Yes o. Some women will turn it into something else just because they know that you can cook and that is what I will not support.

when am alone, I can cook whatever.
when she is with me, no cooking even if na indomie except when I know I have to save a life with it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by meelorlah(f): 5:37am On Feb 19, 2016
Your reason isn't substantial at all, men shouldn't cook because they don't look good in apron, he should leave d apron na. Give me some other reasons apart from the apron ish and I could consider it

2 Likes

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by cococandy(f): 6:24am On Feb 19, 2016
Buy a superman apron like my bobo did.
Maybe that will look good on you and we will hear word. cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by Griffon(m): 6:39am On Feb 19, 2016
Your reason is damn weak.

5 Likes

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by Nobody: 8:08am On Feb 19, 2016
Says who undecided undecided I cant marry a man that cannot cook. At least, he should know how to boil egg

2 Likes

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by tpiar: 8:18am On Feb 19, 2016
look at this though:

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by tpiar: 8:20am On Feb 19, 2016
Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by ronald4lif(m): 8:20am On Feb 19, 2016
DeMekus:

You want to be different from the white folks when it's convenience to you and not when you realise it twinges you? No, it doesn't work like that mate. You're not solely responsible to decide what to do and what not to do in gender family roles, women are stakeholders and should be major player in family decision making.

Washing your wife's clothes isn't a big deal. If you expect her to wash yours, then you should be able to wash hers too. So, don't take any credit in doing so.

You said "I can sit and feed my baby too if need be". What do you mean by if need be in feeding your "own" baby? Were you supposed to do otherwise or you falsely assume feeding of a baby is solely a wife's role? Pal, the baby is yours and you have just as equal responsibility to nurse him/her same as your wife. Again, don't take any credit for it.

Being a married man doesn't mean abdicating your cooking responsibility to a wife. You were cooking and eating (I suppose) before you met her and so should still cook even after meeting her. And if you weren't able to cook before you met her that's your problem not hers. A wife is not a chef but a companion and in companionship there should be no gender roles.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by tpiar: 8:22am On Feb 19, 2016
Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by tpiar: 8:25am On Feb 19, 2016
Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by PresVA: 8:29am On Feb 19, 2016
Tpiar , why all these foods na? ? embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by DeMekus: 8:41am On Feb 19, 2016
cococandy:
Buy a superman apron like my bobo did.
Maybe that will look good on you and we will hear word. cheesy
grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Men Are Not Supposed To Be In The Kitchen. by DeMekus: 9:02am On Feb 19, 2016
ronald4lif:

You want to be different from the white folks when it's convenience to you and not when you realise it twinges you? No, it doesn't work like that mate. You're not solely responsible to decide what to do and what not to do in gender family roles, women are stakeholders and should be major player in family decision making.

Washing your wife's clothes isn't a big deal. If you expect her to wash yours, then you should be able to wash hers too. So, don't take any credit in doing so.

You said "I can sit and feed my baby too if need be". What do you mean by if need be in feeding your "own" baby? Were you supposed to do otherwise or you falsely assume feeding of a baby is solely a wife's role? Pal, the baby is yours and you have just as equal responsibility to nurse him/her same as your wife. Again, don't take any credit for it.

Being a married man doesn't mean abdicating your cooking responsibility to a wife. You were cooking and eating (I suppose) before you met her and so should still cook even after meeting her. And if you weren't able to cook before you met her that's your problem not hers. A wife is not a chef but a companion and in companionship there should be no gender roles.

You didn't get what I meant when I said I can wash my wife's clothes. I mean, I can wash them without expecting her to do same for me. Washing clothes is no big deal for me. I grew up in a home where one boy could do the entire laundry, while the other would fetching water. The girls were not allowed to do that as it was considered men's job. At the same time, the boys too would not cook because the mom never taught them. Only the girls. I cooked when I was still in school. As a bachelor, I still cook now when I have the time. If I can't, I buy from outside. But when I'm married, my wife will be in charge of the kitchen. That's the situation in the average family from the eastern part and I'm not ready to change that to suit civilization. Ask any Igbo friend you know.
My opinion!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Canada: Man Jailed For Calling His Daughter A Girl / Get Rid Of Dt Flabby Tummy With Ultimate Body Applicator! / What Did I Do Wrong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.