Stats: 3,158,156 members, 7,835,858 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? (6349 Views)

18-Year-Old Girl's Birthday Gift For Her Boyfriend (Photos) / Can A Girl Get Pregnant And Still See Her Menstrual Period?? / Will A Girl Get Overly Attached To The Guy That Deflowered Her? (2) (3) (4)

Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by Onyiridike(f): 8:11pm On Feb 24, 2016
I have been discussing this topic with friends for few weeks now.

It is rare to find a girl who is well behaved and from a good home but could not get married. However, the age at which a woman should get married is a million dollar question.

We are in Africa where culture and tradition influence our choices for a wife or husband. However, civilization has set in and people now consider many factors before they settle down. Age is becoming a key factor nowadays.

In our argument, many ladies (most of them are single) are against an 18-year old girl getting married because, according to them, she has not graduated from the university, she is too young, she may not know exactly what she want e.t.c

I was not convinced with the reasons above because:

1. Girls at younger age already have lovers (boyfriends).

2. Girls at younger age enjoy sex with their boyfriends

3. Girls at younger age cook, wash clothes, tidy homes for their boyfriend

4. Marriage doesn't hinder a wife from going to school. I'm a living witness.

Are we saying that an 18-year old girl is matured enough to do the above for her boyfriend but cannot invest same energy in marriage?

From my experience, marriage is not as difficult as people put it. Of course, you have more responsibilities but good time management skill will make life comfortable.

There is God's appointed time for every lady. I married when I was 28 years and I will not discourage an 18-year old girl whom God has blessed with a responsible young man to turn him down.

Maturity doesn't come with age but with acceptance of responsibilities.

What is your opinion?

Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by phensbassey: 8:14pm On Feb 24, 2016
yes

Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by yungchief(m): 8:15pm On Feb 24, 2016
Y not.... undecided

Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by ChappyChase: 8:15pm On Feb 24, 2016
She sure can, but would she be able to cope with the pressure that comes with marriage?
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by kingofchess(m): 8:15pm On Feb 24, 2016
ask sanusi and yerima....they are in a perfect position to tell u.
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by delishpot: 8:16pm On Feb 24, 2016
Yes they can marry but abeg o, boyfriend different from husband O. Wife different from GF not everyone that has bf/gf knows how to manage a marriage O. So, I would say if the man is sincere and genuine and is not pretending just to get her to marry him, then she can marry if not it is very unfair to put such a young girl through stress and pain in the name of marriage.
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by Emac34: 8:17pm On Feb 24, 2016
Why not...if u doubt me ask Kano Emir

No be talk am ooo
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by Onyiridike(f): 8:20pm On Feb 24, 2016
delishpot:
Yes they can marry but abeg o, boyfriend different from husband O. Wife different from GF not everyone that has bf/gf knows how to manage a marriage O. So, I would say if the man is sincere and genuine and is not pretending just to get her to marry him, then she can marry if not it is very unfair to put such a young girl through stress and pain in the name of marriage.

Marriage is not as stressful as people put it.
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by semasir: 8:21pm On Feb 24, 2016
Maturity as pointed isn't by age..... Sure she can but coping with the duties of marriage is another responsibility from her as well.

If I am to consider some factors here in Africa, an 18yr old will surely not be responsible for marriage #MyObservationThough
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by Predictor007(m): 8:21pm On Feb 24, 2016
In a civilized country YES

Not here in Nigeria
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by delishpot: 8:23pm On Feb 24, 2016
Onyiridike:

Did I say so? To quote me just sweet you today. This means good luck coming my way.
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by Onyiridike(f): 8:24pm On Feb 24, 2016
ChappyChase:
She sure can, but would she be able to cope with the pressure that comes with marriage?

There are no much pressure in marriage the way people put it.

Do you think increase in age is directly proportional to increase in absorbing pressure?
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by Onyiridike(f): 8:26pm On Feb 24, 2016
semasir:
Maturity as pointed isn't by age..... Sure she can but coping with the duties of marriage is another responsibility from her as well.

If I am to consider some factors here in Africa, an 18yr old will surely not be responsible for marriage #MyObservationThough

Could you please state some of the factors so that we can learn?
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by Onyiridike(f): 8:28pm On Feb 24, 2016
delishpot:

Did I say so? To quote me just sweet you today. This means good luck coming my way.

May be I did not read in-between the line.
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by delishpot: 8:33pm On Feb 24, 2016
Onyiridike:

May be I did not read in-between the line.

I said if he is genuine and open and makes her see who she is getting married to and she loves him as hevis then that marriage is okay. But if he is hiding facts like he is impotent, drunkard, cheat, woman beater, represents his state in lying contest and wins and inshort marries her because she is young, naïve and would not dare ask him where he is coming from after 10 days of disappearing without telling her anything before hand then it is not fair to the young woman.

Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by Viktor1983(m): 9:47pm On Feb 24, 2016
How old was governor yerima's Egyptian wife again? Someone please remind me again!
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by Nobody: 9:57pm On Feb 24, 2016
Go ask Yerima and my brothers from North

Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by Onyiridike(f): 9:59pm On Feb 24, 2016
Viktor1983:
How old was governor yerima's Egyptian wife again?
Someone please remind me again!

This is NOT about Yerima.
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by misspicy(f): 10:03pm On Feb 24, 2016
Yes of course,I have a girl that was junior to me in secondary school,she got married immediately after her ss3,she was 18,she has a beautiful daughter now,and she is doing quite well....

it all goes down to,what you really want to do, men no scarce na grin

Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by Onyiridike(f): 10:09pm On Feb 24, 2016
Jacksparr0w1207:
Go ask Yerima and my brothers from North

I know over 20 Igbo women who married at the age of 18 or less.

Just because you don't know the way doesn't mean there is no way.

Based on my interaction with single men who are mainly Igbos, most of them prefer very young ladies between 17-25 years.

However, choice differs and my point is that nothing is wrong with an 18-year old girl getting married.
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by misspicy(f): 10:23pm On Feb 24, 2016
Onyiridike:

ma'am have it at the back of your mind that you are just lucky,maybe your hubby is the supporting type, I know a couple of ladies that will say the opposite of what you just typed,and they are married too

#speakforyourself
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by Rukkydelta(f): 10:25pm On Feb 24, 2016
I will not approve of my daughter to get married at the age of 18 when I have one
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by Viktor1983(m): 11:47pm On Feb 24, 2016
Onyiridike:

This is NOT about Yerima.
Your question says " Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married?" Pa yerima and married a 13 years old girl, that's 5 years short of 18. There are thousands of yerima's ilk , That like em young. So the answer is yes.
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by Leriebloom(f): 11:53pm On Feb 24, 2016
If she is mature enough in her thinking, why not, but if not, marriage isn't all abt getting married, there is more to it.
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by Onyiridike(f): 7:35am On Feb 25, 2016
misspicy:

ma'am have it at the back of your mind that you are just lucky,maybe your hubby is the supporting type, I know a couple of ladies that will say the opposite of what you just typed,and they are married too

#speakforyourself
Thank you for this point.

But do you think if a lady marries at 35 years to a husband who is not supportive, then the marriage stress would reduce?

My point is that age makes no difference.
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by Onyiridike(f): 7:47am On Feb 25, 2016
Rukkydelta:
I will not approve of my daughter to get married at the age of 18 when I have one

But she will have an unofficial husband (boyfriend)?

One mother once refused her daughter (17 years) from getting married to a medical doctor. Today she is close to 35 still single and the family is regretting.

It better we seek God's guidance through prayer in issues like this.

Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by octopusfreaky(f): 8:55am On Feb 25, 2016
Age aint a barrier just make sure u go schl..
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by cruzita(f): 9:30am On Feb 25, 2016
I don't approve of it.
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by kidman96(m): 1:09pm On Feb 25, 2016
Onyiridike:
I have been discussing this topic with friends for few weeks now.

It is rare to find a girl who is well behaved and from a good home but could not get married. However, the age at which a woman should get married is a million dollar question.

We are in Africa where culture and tradition influence our choices for a wife or husband. However, civilization has set in and people now consider many factors before they settle down. Age is becoming a key factor nowadays.

In our argument, many ladies (most of them are single) are against an 18-year old girl getting married because, according to them, she has not graduated from the university, she is too young, she may not know exactly what she want e.t.c

I was not convinced with the reasons above because:

1. Girls at younger age already have lovers (boyfriends).

2. Girls at younger age enjoy sex with their boyfriends

3. Girls at younger age cook, wash clothes, tidy homes for their boyfriend

4. Marriage doesn't hinder a wife from going to school. I'm a living witness.

Are we saying that an 18-year old girl is matured enough to do the above for her boyfriend but cannot invest same energy in marriage?

From my experience, marriage is not as difficult as people put it. Of course, you have more responsibilities but good time management skill will make life comfortable.

There is God's appointed time for every lady. I married when I was 28 years and I will not discourage an 18-year old girl whom God has blessed with a responsible young man to turn him down.

Maturity doesn't come with age but with acceptance of responsibilities.

What is your opinion?

NO. An 18yr old girl don't know what she wants yet.
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by Onyiridike(f): 1:36pm On Feb 25, 2016
kidman96:

NO. An 18yr old girl don't know what she wants yet.
You cannot be too sure.
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by kidman96(m): 1:41pm On Feb 25, 2016
Onyiridike:

You cannot be too sure.
Trust me. I am.
Re: Can A 18-year Old Girl Get Married? by Iwonimi(m): 1:43pm On Feb 25, 2016
Yes it possible

See What These Kids Were Spotted Doing / My Boyfriend Wants Sex! What Do I Do? / 23 Year Old Marries 19 Year Old In Uyo (see Pictures)