Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Seven Reasons Why Nigeria May Remain Perpetually Underdeveloped. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Seven Reasons Why Nigeria May Remain Perpetually Underdeveloped. (1000 Views)

Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? / Obasanjo: Nigeria May Soon Explode-Saharareporters / Sw-most Indebted ,most Broke, One Of The Most Underdeveloped Regions - WHY ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Seven Reasons Why Nigeria May Remain Perpetually Underdeveloped. by breakeven: 12:33pm On Mar 14, 2016
In my view the following factors may make Nigeria remain perpetually underdeveloped.

Politics of bitterness

Politics all over the civilized world is generally referred to as a game of conflict and service. In Nigeria it is an unending conflict for power and self service. Our brand of politics is self serving, divisive, chaotic and a matter of life and death. Service to the people is jettisoned. This is more of a moral issue. Majority of our politicians are morally bankrupt. What is presently happening in Rivers state is an example of what I am saying here.

Inadequate/poor quality Education

The quality of our Education leaves much to be desired. Our educational institutions are poorly equipped. We are supposed to attract the rest of Africa and the world to study in our educational institution but the reverse seems to be the case. Technology drives the world, and it seems we are not ready with the kind of education we have.

Gifted/and intelligent ones are not harnessed.

All over the world gifted and intelligent ones are given scholarship by government to harness their potentials towards research and development. In Nigeria the quota system has destroyed everything, making the gifted and intelligent to be relegated to the background. No nation develops without making use of its best brains.

The Struggle for supremacy between Muslims and Christians/tribal differences

This factor has assumed a frightening dimension, if something is not done may burn us all. Name it, in appointments, admission into schools, promotions etc, the religion and tribe you belong is a criteria for success. Merit is completely relegated. It is the reason nothing works in federal ministries and Parastatals. It has also denied us correct population figure for planning.

Bloated government
Our government is too large, and it has made us to spend most of our resources on recurrent expenditure at the expense of capital expenditure. How can we develop when we eat virtually everything we make as resources? We cannot sustain this presidential system we are operating.

Illiteracy

The level of illiteracy in our country especially in some part of the north is alarming. It seems nothing is been done about it. The northern elite that would have done something about it seems to be less concerned because it suites them politically. This has created an alarming insecurity problem in the entire Nigeria. Armed robbery, kidnapping etc, I guess we can deal with, but a situation where a human being is ready to slash another’s throat and blow himself up and his perceived enemies because of religious belief calls to question our literacy level and knowledge of that faith.

Run away population:

Every developed country, at a point in their history controlled their population or did something to regulate birth. Our religious believes have made the issue of population a no go area. It is estimated that Nigeria population would hit 250 million by the year 2020 or more. For me I think we are already there because you and I know that the present 170 million being taunted is not realistic. We do not know how many we are neither do we know who a Nigerian is because our borders are so porous. Our venture into identifying who a Nigerian is has not succeeded either after several attempts. We are not even sure whether the current exercise will succeed. With declining resources and explosion in population, your guess is as good as mine as regards development.

Finally, I am aware somebody would say, how about corruption. Agreed that corruption is a problem in Nigeria, but my view is that it is caused and fuelled by the above mentioned factors. Believe me, if we can take care of this problems, corruption will be minimally reduced.

Lalasticlala: over to you.
Re: Seven Reasons Why Nigeria May Remain Perpetually Underdeveloped. by breakeven: 3:01pm On Mar 31, 2016
Uhmm!

(1) (Reply)

Summary Of Results From Emohua State Constituency / Seven Ex Governors And Others To Lose Loot Kept In Dubai / Opinion: How To Resolve The Biafran Issue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.