Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,445 members, 7,850,555 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 02:46 AM

The Christian And Sin - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Christian And Sin (2255 Views)

The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria / I Am A Christian And Love God But I Still Keep Fornicating / I'm A Christian And I Smoke Herbs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Christian And Sin by petres007(m): 8:58pm On Jul 24, 2009
Abuzola:

2 corinthians 11:21 paul said 'to my shame, i must say, we were too weak for that ! But whatever anyone dares to boast of - I am speaking as a fool- I also dare to boast of that'

Yeah, so what did he say here that makes him foolish and absurd? How did what he said here open the gateway for criminals?

Have you tried reading the entire chapter to get a proper understanding of what he was talking about?
Re: The Christian And Sin by Abuzola(m): 10:47pm On Jul 24, 2009
There he is talking as a fool and you people accepted a fool's inspiration.
Concerning gateway to criminality_ Have you fnrgotten the verse that says if you accept christ as your personal saviour and die for ur sin you will not be in hell.
Re: The Christian And Sin by petres007(m): 9:50am On Jul 25, 2009
Abuzola:

There he is talking as a fool and you people accepted a fool's inspiration.
Concerning gateway to criminality_ Have you fnrgotten the verse that says if you accept christ as your personal saviour and die for ur sin you will not be in hell.

Abuzola,

if accepting the work of Christ and putting one's faith in him, which Paul preached, is what you used to qualify him as a "fool", then what you have a problem with, is not Paul. But the gospel of Jesus Christ. Because thats what Paul preached, correctly, like all the other apostles like Peter, James, John, Thomas etc. And they all preached this both in line with Old Testament prophecies about the new covenant which was going to b based on God's grace alone, and also in obedience to Jesus' commandments and teaching.

So its not just Paul whom you're calling "criminal" and "fool". By extension: all the other apostles Peter, John, James, Jesus himself, all the prophets under the old covenant right up to John the baptist.

And one passage of scripture comes to mind Abuzola:

18 For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

19 For it is written, "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the cleverness of the clever I will thwart.",

20 Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.

22 For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom,

23 but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles,

24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

grin grin grin
Re: The Christian And Sin by Abuzola(m): 10:13am On Jul 25, 2009
Is it my fault that paul acknowledged himself as a fool ?

2corinthian 11:1 'i wish you would bear with me in a little madness. Do bear with me !'
Re: The Christian And Sin by petres007(m): 10:16am On Jul 25, 2009
Abuzola:

2corinthian 11:1 'i wish you would bear with me in a little madness. Do bear with me !'

[falls off his chair laughing uncontrollably]

Please tell me you don't mean what you just said. Pls cheesy
Re: The Christian And Sin by Abuzola(m): 10:20am On Jul 25, 2009
Lmao. You can check your bible to confirm my claim
Re: The Christian And Sin by petres007(m): 10:57am On Jul 25, 2009
No Abuzola, No.

I think its very clear to me now, that you just read the bible looking for anything to use against Christianity/the bible. Even if it means lifting verses out of context! Na wah o! Please read 2 Corinthians chapter 10 and then chapter 11, in its entirety, so you can get the full picture! What you just did is very wrong/improper. You can't lift verses out of their original context. undecided

I really feel like pasting both chapters here but it'll be too long. Maybe I'll just mention here that first Paul was trying to make a point. He was'nt literally calling himself a fool. Like I said, please read chapters 10 and 11 to understand what he was saying.

Abuzola:

I even thought you were joking o! grin grin grin
Re: The Christian And Sin by Abuzola(m): 11:13am On Jul 25, 2009
Don't be ridicule, young man. Chapter 10 is a new dimension which have nothing to do with 11. Each chapter is like a new book. Go and check the meaning of chapter and come back
Re: The Christian And Sin by petres007(m): 11:47am On Jul 25, 2009
Abuzola:

Don't be ridicule, young man. Chapter 10 is a new dimension which have nothing to do with 11. Each chapter is like a new book.

No its not! Chapter 10 continues into 11. [/b]These were originally letters Abuzola,[b] they weren't written in chapters and verses. The chapters and verses were introduced much later to allow reference and easier readability. How can you even say this?  shocked

Abuzola:

Go and check the meaning of chapter and come back

No sir. Its obvious you're the one who needs to do a proper study of both chapters to get understand them, better still the entire 1st and 2nd letters to the Corinthians.

Cheers!  smiley
Re: The Christian And Sin by ttalks(m): 11:52am On Jul 25, 2009
Abuzola,

You might not know it now or believe it as i say it but a whole lot of what you've been saying and concluding highlight the fact that ur use and interpretation of the english language require a major overhaul.

It is playing a major role in the blunders u've been making all over this forum as regards ur conclusions on the message of the bible.
You urself just have to admit that fact as we both know that the last debate we had highlighted the fact that u had a lot of misconceptions about the whole 'church' issue.
You admitted to the misconceptions.
Your fellow muslim brothers should know that u are making a lot of blunders but their bias against Christians/Christianity would not allow them to speak up.

Don't u think the same thing is playing itself out right now?   wink
Re: The Christian And Sin by Abuzola(m): 12:46pm On Jul 25, 2009
@peter, verse and chapter are two different things, don't get things mix up
Re: The Christian And Sin by Abuzola(m): 12:48pm On Jul 25, 2009
@ttalk, don't tell me you are sick thats why you didn't read the last post of the thread BIG CALAMITY CHURCH IS NOT HOLY. You absconded,
Re: The Christian And Sin by petres007(m): 1:26pm On Jul 25, 2009
Abu,

I'm not getting things mixed up.

Fact #1 - 2 Corinthians was a letter written by Paul to the Christians at Corinth.
Fact #2 - It wasn't originally written in chapters and verses
Fact #3 - With or without Facts 1 & 2, its very obvious (of course, with a little understanding of the English language) Paul wasn't talking literally in verse 1 of chapter 11

Abu, you're getting me scared o!

I know you're trying really hard to undermine christianity but please, no be like dis na! undecided
Re: The Christian And Sin by Abuzola(m): 1:44pm On Jul 25, 2009
@peter, in paul's original letters, a comma and full stop is now transformed into verse, anywhere you see a comma or full stop is frequently followed by inscription of verse something, you can confirm my word.

What is the purpose of 'paragraph' ? Paragraph is used when you want to talk on another issue, the paragraph is transformed into chapter in this contemporary bible, you can as well confirm it from your bible
Re: The Christian And Sin by ttalks(m): 6:05pm On Jul 25, 2009
Abuzola:

@ttalk, don't tell me you are sick thats why you didn't read the last post of the thread BIG CALAMITY CHURCH IS NOT HOLY. You absconded, shocked me abscond ke?

Abuzola,

Is that how you interpreted the situation?
I absconded?

You are really a case study!

But how on earth did you expect me to answer a question which I and others had clearly given you enough answers and information for you to make conclusions on?
I played my part; and so did others. Enough info was provided for u to make conclusions and yet you still kept asking the same question.
You're really funny.

Abuzola:

@peter, in paul's original letters, a comma and full stop is now transformed into verse, anywhere you see a comma or full stop is frequently followed by inscription of verse something, you can confirm my word.

What is the purpose of 'paragraph' ? Paragraph is used when you want to talk on another issue, the paragraph is transformed into chapter in this contemporary bible, you can as well confirm it from your bible

More display of ignorance.
Re: The Christian And Sin by Abuzola(m): 11:17pm On Jul 25, 2009
@ttalk, stop fooling yourself, you certainly know that it will be a cause for alarm when you dare proceed to say 'christians are more faithful than Abraham'. You know this thats why you absconded. Hahaha, weak excuse ! Why don't you tell us what a paragraph is and see who is the ignorant one between i and you
Re: The Christian And Sin by RiffRaff: 12:13am On Jul 26, 2009
What is d correlation between blood & forgiveness? Does it mean god cannot forgive human without jesus dieing?
Its almost impossible to live a moment without sin according to biblical standards cuz u get punished for ur thoughts. I dont know what jesus had against d rich "for it wud b easier 4 a camel to pass tru d eye of a needle dan for a rich man 2 enta d kindom"
Re: The Christian And Sin by ttalks(m): 3:35pm On Jul 26, 2009
Abuzola:

@ttalk, stop fooling yourself, you certainly know that it will be a cause for alarm when you dare proceed to say 'christians are more faithful than Abraham'. You know this thats why you absconded. Hahaha, weak excuse ! Why don't you tell us what a paragraph is and see who is the ignorant one between i and you

Abuzola,

You want it in full detail?

Here goes:

First of all your question "Are Christians holier than Abraham?" is a wrong one in the sense that Abraham is not presently alive so you can't ask a question about him using the present tense.
Rather your question should have been "Do Christians possess a holier state than Abraham did?"

Answer:
Christians possess a holy state which Abraham never had all through his life time and this is due to the fact that the Holy Spirit dwells within Christians.
It is the presence of the Holy Spirit in Christians that provides this Holy State.
The Holy Spirit did not reside in Abraham,so Christians possess a holier state than Abraham(Infact, we can say that Abraham was not Holy since he didn't have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit).

Now to ur question about Paragraphs:

You cannot limit the meaning or use of paragraphs to highlighting a new point or idea.
Paragraphs are also used to give more or clearer details about points/ideas highlighted in earlier paragraphs; meaning that a number of paragraphs can still be elaborating on one/ the initial paragraph.

Guess that puts paid to ur ignorant assumption. tongue grin
Re: The Christian And Sin by Abuzola(m): 4:14pm On Jul 26, 2009
Marvellous ! Christians are holier than abraham, if a thief, rapist and murderer accept jesus as his Lord and personal saviour then he is a christian therefore holier than father Abraham, do you see why christianity is a stupid religion, giving an avenue to criminality. Lol i can't stop laughing.

Concerning paragraph, you said it can also be used for , Hence am right, it means there are different ways of using it. creks
Re: The Christian And Sin by ttalks(m): 6:30pm On Jul 26, 2009
Abuzola:

Marvellous ! Christians are holier than abraham, if a thief, rapist and murderer accept jesus as his Lord and personal saviour then he is a christian therefore holier than father Abraham, do you see why christianity is a stupid religion, giving an avenue to criminality. Lol i can't stop laughing.

That's just the beauty of the grace of God and also the highlight of your limited understanding. wink
Our faith(we Christians) is what makes us righteous before God; not our works(which is the case of other religions).
By faith(in Jesus Christ) are we saved.

Galatians 2:16

Concerning paragraph, you said it can also be used for , Hence am right, it means there are different ways of using it. creks

Which is why you cannot make the earlier conclusions you made earlier about paragraphs in the bible.  wink
Re: The Christian And Sin by ttalks(m): 7:09pm On Jul 26, 2009
Abuzola,

Incase u do not know, becoming a Christian is not just about a person "accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and personal savior".
Becoming a Christian is about believing in Jesus Christ/the gospel of Jesus Christ and then living the life he ordained or set for us to live.

A person can't claim to be a Christian(a rapist for example) and continue with the very same lifestyle he used to live before his supposed conversion.
Doing such would mean he never was saved/never became a christian.

This passage describes such a person:

(Tit 1:15) Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

(Tit 1:16) They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

Jesus Christ saved people so as to enable them to exhibit the following:

(Mat 5:16) Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Eph 2:10
(10) For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

2Ti 3:16-17
(16) All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
(17) That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Tit 2:14
(14) Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Maybe I'll post one of my old articles(living the life) from a blog of mine so you can understand what is expected of the Christian life. wink
Re: The Christian And Sin by petres007(m): 7:23pm On Jul 26, 2009
@ttalks, thanks for your responses to Abuzola. After reading his replies to my posts, I didn't what else to write again as he obviously wouldn't understand. undecided
Re: The Christian And Sin by Abuzola(m): 7:52pm On Jul 26, 2009
Titus indeed,
A former prostitute, thief, rapist and murderer who aftermath accept christ is holier than Abraham and moses, excellent, no wonder my christian friends who engage in yahoo yahoo and fornication keep telling me they will repent later and become born again. This christianity of a thing sha, so if am a christian who had murdered whackingly and raped thousand and become born again it means i am holier than Abraham. This is ridiculous !
Re: The Christian And Sin by Krayola2(m): 7:54pm On Jul 26, 2009
Abuzola. . I've been reading ur posts and i have been very impressed. I'm very interested in joining your faith. How do I become a Jihadist?
Re: The Christian And Sin by Abuzola(m): 8:00pm On Jul 26, 2009
Krayola stop pulling my legs na, if i start my own you won't like it o. If you want to embrace Islam then you will become a muslim, jihadist is one who engage striving for the causeth of Allah, it can be fighting temptation, holy war, making Allah's word superior and abstaining from bad things even though they are sweet *smile*
Re: The Christian And Sin by Krayola2(m): 8:08pm On Jul 26, 2009
haha. Ok. no vex. Are u on a holy war against christianity on nairaland? abi na just play play?
Re: The Christian And Sin by petres007(m): 8:20pm On Jul 26, 2009
Abuzola:

Titus indeed,
A former prostitute, thief, rapist and murderer who aftermath accept christ is holier than Abraham and moses, excellent, no wonder my christian friends who engage in yahoo yahoo and  fornication keep telling me they will repent later and become born again. This christianity of a thing sha, so if am a christian who had murdered whackingly and raped thousand and become born again it means i am holier than Abraham. This is ridiculous !

Abuzola,

Once again, you've shown stark ignorance of what Christianity really entails. Or how else can you say this crap you just spat out here? If you're going to undermine Christianity, please do so reasonably.  sad

The bible is very clear (sometimes, in my opinion), even brutal/harsh when it comes to this issue of sin). Study or just read through the bible. You can't miss it!

26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment
, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.

Hebrews 10:26-27

As for the kind of people you just described in your post, I assure, they never were Christians! They may think they are. They may go to church or even be pastors and GOs. But they never met Christ. Because the very first step to Christianity is repentance from sin!! Repentance! Anyway, I don't blame you too much sha, because most of our churches and their leaders have twisted the gospel of Jesus Christ and one of the essentials they took away or watered down to no significance, is the issue of Repentance.

Others closely tied to it are Holiness & Righteousness. So maybe you ought to modify your attacks a little - direct them at the current crop of so-called Christians we have today, who have "customized" the gospel, to their own destruction.

But true, biblical Christianity stands! It is true that it is by God's grace in Christ that we are saved, but this grace is obviously not a license for anyone to continue living in sin. Please look at the scriptures below:

1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?

2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?

Romans 6: 1-2

Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: "The Lord knows those who are His," and, "Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity."

2 Timothy 2:19

Come to think of it, did you even read ttalk's initial post, because it was about the christian and sin, and talked about this issue.
Re: The Christian And Sin by Abuzola(m): 8:54pm On Jul 26, 2009
*speaking Mangalese* Lakuta mamamama. @petres- are you a born again christian ? If yes then can you sincerely tell me that through out last week you commit no sin, either by lying, looked at lustful thing such as indecent dressing exhibiting the front side and backside and many more, if thats the case then no christian on earth is holy since they are born again christians and yet commit sin after knowledge had come to them, hahahahaha, now let me see how wan refute this
Re: The Christian And Sin by petres007(m): 8:59pm On Jul 26, 2009
Abuzola:

*speaking Mangalese* Lakuta mamamama. @petres- are you a born again christian ? If yes then can you sincerely tell me that through out last week you commit no sin, either by lying, looked at lustful thing such as indecent dressing exhibiting the front side and backside and many more, if thats the case then no christian on earth is holy since they are born again christians and yet commit sin after knowledge had come to them, hahahahaha, now let me see how wan refute this

Once more, you've shown that you actually do not understand Christianity. undecided

Abuzola:

hahahahaha, now let me see how wan refute this

Abuzola, this isn't a game.
Re: The Christian And Sin by ttalks(m): 9:05pm On Jul 26, 2009
Abuzola,
this question of urs above is highly/heavily unnecessary because the topic of this thread/initial post on this thread has dealt with it.

Why do you have a knack for ferreting over issues that have been dealt with by the provision of information? angry
Re: The Christian And Sin by Abuzola(m): 9:39pm On Jul 26, 2009
*big smile* i have known that my fact is unbreakable.
Re: The Christian And Sin by petres007(m): 11:03am On Jul 27, 2009
Abuzola:

*big smile* i have known that my fact is unbreakable.

Abuzola,

What "fact" are you talking about?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why We Must Eradicate God Off Our Planet Immediately. / "Why Does God Allow Us To Gothrough Trials And Tribulations?" / The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.