Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,907 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:00 PM

Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner (5731 Views)

I Become Broke, Frustrated Whenever I Have Sex With My Wife / My Wife Is Driving Me Crazy??? Getting Frustrated Here / A Frustrated Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by Lonehenge: 1:52pm On Mar 19, 2016
I am 28 this year and I have lived in London for more than 4 years. I have a decent job in the city and career progression looks good too.

My biggest source of frustration has been my loveless life for the past 3 years or so. Day by day I am stuck in the vicious circle of work, sleep, play eat. Repeat. As I am approaching 30, I am starting to get really worried about myself

I have tried a few networking events...notably MBTN and NCITY events, however, I am not too certain if these either adds to my frustration or somewhat provide some relief knowing that there are many others like me out there.

More fundamental is that the woman I have dreamed of - Nigerian roots, smart, open minded, ambitious, confident and fun - never seem to attend these events....maybe she doesn't exist at all?

Anyway, back to my reason for opening a thread, I would like to know if there are many others out here like me?

Second, for those who have been like me before, what have you done differently?

Other views or opinions are of course welcomed.
Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by Nobody: 2:12pm On Mar 19, 2016
undecided what happened to coming back to ur homeland since bitc.hes do progress with time
Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by zemaye: 2:12pm On Mar 19, 2016
cc
tearoses
damiso
edwife
and others
make una come hep a Uk brother
Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by peacengine(m): 2:14pm On Mar 19, 2016
Dude, come back home for some time, you'll be hot cake down here especially when the ladies find out you are London based cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by thorpido(m): 2:18pm On Mar 19, 2016
^^^That could attract the wrong girls.

Op,have you tried attending naija events and places where Nigerians visit often?You should also try to network- somebody will know somebody and could introduce someone.

4 Likes

Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by Lonehenge: 2:20pm On Mar 19, 2016
Just to be clear, having a relationship in Nigeria is not what I am looking for since such types eventually tend to lead into long distance dating. And I don't consider long distance dating a good way to build trust and understand your partner

1 Like

Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by Nobody: 2:21pm On Mar 19, 2016
#spacebooked
Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by Teetopic(f): 4:44pm On Mar 19, 2016
undecidedI thought am the only one in that shoe
Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by Nobody: 5:32pm On Mar 19, 2016
zemaye:
cc
tearoses
damiso
edwife
and others
make una come hep a Uk brother

LOL at help a brother grin

@Lonehenge if you work in the city, you should be bumping into ladies on the tube, train, walking, bus, when you go out to get lunch......
If you work the same hours everyday and take the same route, then its likely that you see the same faces on your commute.

There is this lady I see several times a week on my way to work, She drives the same car as me. We drive in opposite directions and meet on the same stretch of road. She started flashing me and waving when she sees me and I wave back.
In short people can be friendly if you are friendly back.

How about making friends at work. Hope you are not one of those stuck up Nigerians "I can never speak to a fellow Nigerian at work" tongue .....Just joking
But seriously many relationships start from networking....."a friend of a friend meet up"
Some of my naija colleagues at work we meet outside of work too. Just choose the sensible and decent ones.

Attend parties when invited even 40, 50, 60, 70th birthday parties. They may not be your thing but There may be just someone like you at the event sitting lonely and be happy to chat with someone her age.

Also attend all sorts of events and dont just stay at home. Do you know how many people attend the Festival of Life in London? Errm I didnt say go and toast o! just letting you know that you can make friends anywhere.

Most times a smile goes a long way. I also didn't say go and be smiling like mumu everywhere, but I am sure you know what I mean wink

Just that you said you dont want LDR . . . .cos I have plenty ladies looking for Mr Right & men looking for Miss Right on my radar.

Aim to make friends first and you will be surprised at what may happen next.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by Nobody: 5:36pm On Mar 19, 2016
Teetopic:
undecidedI thought am the only one in that shoe

Which shoe? tongue grin
Fine babe like you
Take your car to a petrol station and ask a nice looking man to help you open the bonnet so you can top up the windscreen wash
Or buy a nice looking dog and walk it in the park grin

6 Likes

Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by CoCoLav(f): 1:32am On Mar 20, 2016
Such women don't really attend those events, unless you get lucky on a day her friends succeed in getting her out of her apartment. For her it's also work, sleep and eat.

You can try grocery stores though cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by Lonehenge: 6:02am On Mar 20, 2016
tearoses:

@Lonehenge if you work in the city, you should be bumping into ladies on the tube, train, walking, bus, when you go out to get lunch......
If you work the same hours everyday and take the same route, then its likely that you see the same faces on your commute.

There is this lady I see several times a week on my way to work, She drives the same car as me. We drive in opposite directions and meet on the same stretch of road. She started flashing me and waving when she sees me and I wave back.

How about making friends at work. Hope you are not one of those stuck up Nigerians "I can never speak to a fellow Nigerian at work" tongue .....Just joking
But seriously many relationships start from networking....."a friend of a friend meet up"
Some of my naija colleagues at work we meet outside of work too. Just choose the sensible and decent ones.

Attend parties when invited even 40, 50, 60, 70th birthday parties. They may not be your thing but There may be just someone like you at the event sitting lonely and be happy to chat with someone her age.

Also attend all sorts of events and dont just stay at home. Do you know how many people attend the Festival of Life in London? Errm I didnt say go and toast o! just letting you know that you can make friends anywhere.

Most times a smile goes a long way. I also didn't say go and be smiling like mumu everywhere, but I am sure you know what I mean wink

Just that you said you dont want LDR . . . .cos I have plenty ladies looking for Mr Right & men looking for Miss Right on my radar.

Lots of good stuff in your post. I think London is the quintessential single man's hell. I find socializing while on commute to be practically impossible. On a typical weekday morning, I am stuck in a packed train on my way to work -usually with my face stuffed right next to a stranger's armpit, while the other stranger next to you is either drinking hot coffee or has a really annoying perfume. Everyone else on the tube just have the usual blank sad face - In addition, i have found that the odds of meeting a single naija chic in these places are pretty low - or perhaps I am just really unlucky?
Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by Lonehenge: 6:11am On Mar 20, 2016
CoCoLav:
Such women don't really attend those events, unless you get lucky on a day her friends succeed in getting her out of her apartment. For her it's also work, sleep and eat.

You can try grocery stores though cheesy

This is EXACTLY what i thought.

Might have a go at the grocery store idea, how bad could it be?
Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by Dyt(f): 7:13am On Mar 20, 2016
Tearoses
Abeg add me to your radar of the on looker
Iyamu fainding a Master right ooo
Hold me by your left hand biko
*serious face*.
Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by Nobody: 8:17am On Mar 20, 2016
Dyt:
Tearoses
Abeg add me to your radar of the on looker
Iyamu fainding a Master right ooo
Hold me by your left hand biko
*serious face*.

You want all your toasters to come and kidnap me abi? cool
Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by Nobody: 8:27am On Mar 20, 2016
Lonehenge:

Lots of good stuff in your post. I think London is the quintessential single man's hell. I find socializing while on commute to be practically impossible. On a typical weekday morning, I am stuck in a packed train on my way to work -usually with my face stuffed right next to a stranger's armpit, while the other stranger next to you is either drinking hot coffee or has a really annoying perfume. Everyone else on the tube just have the usual blank sad face - In addition, i have found that the odds of meeting a single naija chic in these places are pretty low - or perhaps I am just really unlucky?

It depends on how you want to see it
Half full or half empty
London is one of the most vibrant places to be
You are lucky that you don't live in my area or you will just hibernate and wake up again in the summer.

Meanwhile Those strangers are not really strangers.....You see them more than you see some of your friends.
I tell you, if you have a routine, you will begin to see familiar faces every morning
You see, when you see the same person everyday, its easier to chit chat them & talk about the weather grin

Have you tried puregym.......Ours is so packed now you cant get a parking space.
comedy shows, nollywood premieres, Davido concerts etc
ASDA, Tesco, waitrose etc

Jaybee come and help a brother o!

1 Like

Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by Dyt(f): 8:50am On Mar 20, 2016
tearoses:

You want all your toasters to come and kidnap me abi? cool

Toasters oo
Not eligible men
grin cheesy
I will bypass them all jor

Trust you having a wonderful Sunday
Keep my Sunday roast
Iyamu coming to have a bite
Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by Teetopic(f): 9:04am On Mar 20, 2016
tearoses:

Which shoe? tongue grin
Fine babe like you
Take your car to a petrol station and ask a nice looking man to help you open the bonnet so you can top up the windscreen wash
Or buy a nice looking dog and walk it in the park grin
Lol, funny you
Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by Nobody: 1:20pm On Mar 20, 2016
Lonehenge, I would say you're limiting yourself, because you're specifically searching for Nigerian girls. I would just go with the flow, love transcends all colour and races.

When I was single, I had a whale of a time, and I was mostly driving. You taking the train opens up more possibilities than if you were driving, as you're mixing with more people.

1 Like

Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by CoCoLav(f): 1:32pm On Mar 20, 2016
Lonehenge:

This is EXACTLY what i thought.

Might have a go at the grocery store idea, how bad could it be?

It can't be that bad. Starting a conversation while walking around the aisles isn't a bad idea, it's also a pretty relaxed environment.
Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by Lonehenge: 2:36pm On Mar 20, 2016
Siena:
Lonehenge, I would say you're limiting yourself, because you're specifically searching for Nigerian girls. I would just go with the flow, loves transcends all colour and races.

When I was single, I had a whale of a time, and I was mostly driving. You taking the train opens up more possibilities than if you were driving, as you're mixing with more people.

Thanks Sienna. By the way, i really admire your passion for cars. I have seen a number of your posts on the auto section. Whereabouts in the UK are you?
Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by Lonehenge: 2:42pm On Mar 20, 2016
CoCoLav:

It can't be that bad. Starting a conversation while walking around the aisles isn't a bad idea, it's also a pretty relaxed environment.

I thought you were being cheeky when you suggested the grocery store. I really haven't thought of the situation where i actually leave home to shop erhm- for a relationship?..arghh! why does it really have to come down to that?!!

By the way, you've got a nice diary going.
Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by jashar(f): 3:39pm On Mar 20, 2016
grin grin grin .... you're just going too far.

Bro. Lonehenge meet sis Teetopic(i assume you're in London too).

Oya... pm and dm yaselves grin

3 Likes

Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by Nobody: 4:38pm On Mar 20, 2016
Lonehenge:

Thanks Sienna. By the way, i really admire your passion for cars. I have seen a number of your posts on the auto section. Whereabouts in the UK are you?

London. But my work takes me all over the country. wink
Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by CoCoLav(f): 5:44pm On Mar 20, 2016
Lonehenge:

I thought you were being cheeky when you suggested the grocery store. I really haven't thought of the situation where i actually leave home to shop erhm- for a relationship?..arghh! why does it really have to come down to that?!!

By the way, you've got a nice diary going.

I was, but there's some truth in it. I have heard of people who met at grocery stores. Like those omg unreal moments when your bag of groceries fall and a stranger bends to help you pick them up and your eyes meet after which you realize she is the love of your life and bla bla bla..well that's what the movies say.

OR

You could strike up a conversation asking for her opinion on a particular product. Single guy with no kitchen skills, I believe she will be sympathetic.

Seriously though, just chill...people meet in crazy places. Thanks for the diary compliment.

1 Like

Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by Teetopic(f): 5:46pm On Mar 20, 2016
jashar:
grin grin grin .... you're just going too far.

Bro. Lonehenge meet sis Teetopic(i assume you're in London too).

Oya... pm and dm yaselves grin
Hahahaahahaha! Am not in London o
Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by jashar(f): 5:58pm On Mar 20, 2016
Teetopic:

Hahahaahahaha! Am not in London o

Kaiii.... maka why naaa cry cry cry. You no wan make I chop obodo oyibo party rice baa!!!!

atttttccchhhhooooo.....

Ermmm...

cocolav are you single and in London? grin

2 Likes

Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by CoCoLav(f): 6:27pm On Mar 20, 2016
jashar:

Kaiii.... maka why naaa cry cry cry. You no wan make I chop obodo oyibo party rice baa!!!!

atttttccchhhhooooo.....

Ermmm...

cocolav are you single and in London? grin

Are you his lobbyist?
Btw OP, have you tried e-dating sites like Tinder and E-harmony?
Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by jashar(f): 8:25pm On Mar 20, 2016
CoCoLav:

Not single and not in London smiley

Are you his lobbyist?
Btw OP, have you tried e-dating sites like Tinder and E-harmony?

cry cry cry
Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by stevecantrell: 10:26pm On Mar 20, 2016
Have a babe friend (just a friend) who will match you up with a nice girl she knows (not her friend o.)
The Ladies are more frustrated than you, so there's already a cold war on before you even approach.

But if a mutual friend does the intros you can skip all the BS at the beginning. Don't fall into the temptation of attending singles programme in Nigerian London churches cos its a waste of time.

Don't approach at parties, if she's with friends. Do not approach in church before/ after a service. If you meet a girl from church you like far from the premises and she recognises u - thats ok.

But the best way is thru your female pal who can introduce you to a great girl.

That's just for Nigerian girls.

You will make your life much easier if you broaden your scope. There are really nice Trinidadian , german Romanian, Zimbabwean, Kenyan, girls out there etc. Just make sure you know where she works shouldn't be a strip club.

5 Likes

Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by dangotesmummy: 12:33am On Mar 21, 2016
tearoses:

haaaaa tearoses shocked

What of if he collects ela OR he gets this snobbish self conceited look from the girls he's trying to be friendly with shocked
Re: Dating Advise For A Frustrated Londoner by elektra(f): 3:04am On Mar 21, 2016
I am also experiencing same.
It seems graduate school and dating don't seem to go very well together.

Here are some of the places I've tried maybe they will work for you.

The gym- suggested to me by one of my friends. I have been a member for 1 year now. I go 2-3 days a week. I have made 3 female friends and 0 male ones. I think I spoke 5 words to the male gym attendant last week so that's a step in the right direction.

Game rooms: You know, those places with pool tables, foosball and table tennis. I heard its a good place to meet guys and start friendships. Whenever I remember that I have another life goal to accomplish other than graduating, I watch a few YouTube videos on how to play these games, then get dressed and go. So far, I have succeeded in establishing a parasitic friendship with the stray cat that hangs around there. My case is not completely hopeless you see.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Neighbours Have Seen My Wife's Unclad Body Twice!!! / Child Abandonment By Callous Fathers, How Come? / Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.