Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,634 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:21 PM

Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? (3053 Views)

Work Hard And Dream Big / Why Is Marriage Seen As A Compulsory Thing In Nigeria? / With THESE, Is Marriage Possible In The Next 12 Months? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Josephamstrong1(m): 3:35pm On Mar 21, 2016
Let's Discuss Marriage... Please share your views.
Was on a diatribes over this with a friend which went on for hours.
He said..."Dare I call it an interruption or a junction on ur road 2 de goal"
I was like..."U talk like u scared of marriage"
He said... Yep..am scared. Scared of making a lifetime mistake cos its a lifetime institution.
Don't really get it. More reason I brought it here.
My questions are:
1. Why do most men marry late even with their affluence? Are they scared or not just ready?

2. At what age do you think is good enough for a man to get married?
With or without income.

3. At what monthly income do you think as a man...you'll be assured that you can confidently run a home?

4. What's your opinion about getting married to a lady with Msc but not working. Do you think it's better to marry her unemployed or wait till she's employed or underemployed or better still have something doin'.
Maybe fear of becoming a house wife...I guess.

I know we have mature men and ladies on NL. Please, would kindly appreciate your opinions.
#peace

cc: mods
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Vinshu(f): 3:36pm On Mar 21, 2016
1. Men marry late because they just want to enjoy the single life

2. Why would a man get married without income? Ha

3. A man's income must be able to satisfy himself and extra 2 people (at least) conveniently before getting married.

4. Why would a woman with an Msc not have a job? However her employment status doesn't mean anything in marriage it's that of the man that matters

2 Likes

Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by cruzita(f): 3:40pm On Mar 21, 2016
a man with N50,000 monthly salary can run a home if he makes use of it well
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by cruzita(f): 3:42pm On Mar 21, 2016
Vinshu:

3. A man's income must be able to satisfy himself and extra 2 people (at least) conveniently before getting married.

4. Why would a woman with an Msc not have a job? However her employment status doesn't mean anything in marriage it's that of the man that matters
seconded
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Mar 21, 2016
cruzita:

I disagree. That will result in poverty in the long run.

Let's analyse.

Transport Mon - Fri to work: N8,000(per month)

Good Feeding (Family of 2 - wife and one child): N40k a month

Total: 48k it remain 2k.

Let's talk about Expenses:

- Nepa Bill
- TV Subscription(Dstv example)
- Telephone and Internet bills
- Fuel - Dis one light no dey
- Child little expenses
- School fees (every 3 months)

And other misc.

My sister, N50k cannot run a home. We are not even talking about house rent if house is rented.

2 Likes

Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Smellymouth: 3:45pm On Mar 21, 2016
Look as far as i'm concerned this topic brings in different sub-topics.

i personally believe that being rich is a mentality & planning in one's life should be utmost!. There is no amount of salary u collect, if u've not got what is binding enough to sustain ur marriage it will still collapse. If not, why is it dat some people u know that have enough money or u know their income is awesomely large still have finance problems or other problems at that. Even if u earn 500k per month, once u don't have the other things that makes a marriage tick, it will still head for the rocks. Why are we children of nowadays so money conscious. We know very well that our parents of then barely had enough funds yet managed resources together & sent us to school, even to their own detriment, yet they are content & happy.

I personally believe that no matter where u are, u are always in a position of envy to another person. Some people earn very low income yet u wonder how they managed resources to purchase somethings. (PLANNING & A GOOD WIFE)

I think the question here is greed. Even if we start earning that money we are aspiring to get, our taste moves up. we hear "i need to get that house in V.G.C" why? will u die if u don't have the house? i think being content is another solid factor.

Pardon me to say to the guys that some of u want to impress the ladies u intend marrying or u hope to meet that's why u are hoping to get to a particular class. What ever happened to those ladies u met while at school ready to be there for u thru thick & thin. Moreover when the money comes don't some of u later feel the girl u once had no more fits in? Dat's why we see lots of "made guys" still looking for a wiffy..

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by naijamakossa(m): 3:46pm On Mar 21, 2016
sometimes feel being single

just have baby mamas

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Mar 21, 2016
Oohh aristotle96 was been asking abt this marriage thingy...now, big boy u have a chance to answers all these questions grin grin

Time starts ----now cool
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by halfricanadian(f): 4:06pm On Mar 21, 2016
Yes if only u marry d wrong person ooo
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Tallesty1(m): 4:12pm On Mar 21, 2016
Vinshu:

Can you shed a little more light on the emboldened please?
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Tallesty1(m): 4:13pm On Mar 21, 2016
cruzita:
If he marries a home keeper.
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Tallesty1(m): 4:17pm On Mar 21, 2016
coolsix:

Let's analyse.

What if his place of work is trekable?

coolsix:
How did you arrive at this amount? Rough estimate I guess

coolsix:

- Nepa Bill
- Child little expenses

And other misc.

My sister, N50k cannot run a home. We are not even talking about house rent if house is rented.
I have a married friend that earns 55k monthly and they're cool.

He married a manager
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Vinshu(f): 4:19pm On Mar 21, 2016
Tallesty1:
Can you shed a little more light on the emboldened please?

A man's duty is to provide for his family isn't it? So how does the woman's employment have a part to play? The woman may* decide* to get a job and share her income with her husband but it's the man's duty whether she has a job or not.

So I repeat, her employment doesn't matter. A man s to provide for his family whether or not the wife is employed.
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by MUVA(m): 4:20pm On Mar 21, 2016
Thesonofmark turn up!

Cc: kramfonos
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Tallesty1(m): 4:23pm On Mar 21, 2016
Vinshu:

A man's duty is to provide for his family isn't it? So how does the woman's employment have a part to play? The woman may* decide* to get a job and share her income with her husband but it's the man's duty whether she has a job or not.

So I repeat, her employment doesn't matter. A man s to provide for his family whether or not the wife is employed.
You're a feminist right?
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Vinshu(f): 4:26pm On Mar 21, 2016
Tallesty1:
You're a feminist right?

You want a woman to share in the job of a man but don't want to share in the job of a woman? And all you can say is that I'm a feminist?
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Verbalist(m): 4:26pm On Mar 21, 2016
coolsix:

Let's analyse.

- Nepa Bill
- Child little expenses

And other misc.

Numerous households comprising at least 6 persons are surviving on far lesser amount in the slums and rural areas
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Tallesty1(m): 4:28pm On Mar 21, 2016
Vinshu:

You want a woman to share in the job of a man but don't want to share in the job of a woman? And all you can say is that I'm a feminist?
Just answer my question if you can. You don't why I asked or what I want my woman to do so you don't know enough to form an opinion.

Are you a feminist?
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Mar 21, 2016
Verbalist:

Numerous household comprising at least 6 persons are surviving on far lesser amount in the slums and rural areas

In slums. Do you they are happy in slums? Do you think they don't wish they can turn the hands of time? So you are encouraging people to live in slums?
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Vinshu(f): 4:31pm On Mar 21, 2016
Tallesty1:
Just answer my question if you can. You don't why I asked or what I want my woman to do so you don't know enough to form an opinion.

Are you a feminist?

I am a feminist.
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Tallesty1(m): 4:33pm On Mar 21, 2016
Vinshu:

I am a feminist.
Alright.
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Verbalist(m): 4:34pm On Mar 21, 2016
coolsix:

In slums. Do you they are happy in slums? Do you think they don't wish they can turn the hands of time? So you are encouraging people to live in slums?
I surmise we're talking realism here. I don't know what their "ideal lifestyle" is but the fact is they're surviving... on lesser than N50k monthly.

It matters not where I encourage people to live in. The Poor will always live. Moreso, when we're talking about Nigeria. I hope you know the Per Capita income of Nigerians and our ranking on the global poverty scale
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Mar 21, 2016
Verbalist:

I surmise we're talking realism here. I don't know what their "ideal lifestyle" is but the fact is they're surviving... on lesser than N50k monthly.

It matters not where I encourage people to live in. The Poor will always live. Moreso, when we're talking about Nigeria. I hope you know the Per Capita income of Nigerians and our ranking on the global poverty scale

That is why someone with 50k income should not get married. If those in slums didn't get married I'm sure those children will not be born the poverty scale rank will be reduced.

My point is anyone with 50k salary should not get married. Why subject a woman and her child to harsh condition because some people are living like that must we increase the number?
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Verbalist(m): 4:40pm On Mar 21, 2016
Josephamstrong1:
Let's Discuss Marriage... Please share your views.
Was on a diatribes over this with a friend which went on for hours.
He said..."Dare I call it an interruption or a junction on ur road 2 de goal"
I was like..."U talk like u scared of marriage"
He said... Yep..am scared. Scared of making a lifetime mistake cos its a lifetime institution.
Don't really get it. More reason I brought it here.
My questions are:
1. Why do most men marry late even with their affluence? Are they scared or not just ready?

2. At what age do you think is good enough for a man to get married?
With or without income.

3. At what monthly income do you think as a man...you'll be assured that you can confidently run a home?

4. What's your opinion about getting married to a lady with Msc but not work. Do you think it's better to marry her unemployed or wait till she's employed or underemployed or better still have something doin'.
Maybe fear of becoming a house wife...I guess.

I know we have mature men and ladies on NL. Please, would kindly appreciate your opinions.
#peace

cc: mods

.1 I guess the reasons vary. Likely financial limitations, still searching for the ideal partner, disillusioned with the massive failure of the marriage institution as shown by the high number of divorces, infidelity and domestic violence, etc

.2 No age is good enough. You settle down when YOU ARE READY.

.3 Depends on you. If you earn enough to pay the basic bills, you can run a home

.4 If she ticks the other boxes, you can marry her. She's a potential golden goose and will surely start popping the golden eggs once she clinches a job
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Aristotle96(m): 4:43pm On Mar 21, 2016
KashyBaby:
Oohh aristotle96 was been asking abt this marriage thingy...now, big boy u have a chance to answers all these questions grin grin

Time starts ----now cool
I don't see any question o embarassed
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Verbalist(m): 4:46pm On Mar 21, 2016
coolsix:

That is why someone with 50k income should not get married. If those in slums didn't get married I'm sure those children will not be born the poverty scale rank will be reduced.

My point is anyone with 50k salary should not get married. Why subject a woman and her child to harsh condition because some people are living like that must we increase the number?
The flaw inherent in your argument is the assumption that people's fortunes will remain the same.

Should one then kill off his heirs and divorce his spouse should his fortunes take a nosedive for the worse?

Should one come out of poverty-induced celibacy to marry should his lot better tomorrow?

The keyword is BASIC NEEDS. If a man earns enough to provide the basic needs, he can marry.

Comfort and luxury, though desirous, are still wants.
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Mar 21, 2016
Because fortunes might not remain means someone should start a family that is prone to hardship?

I never said a man must be rich. I did not state any minimum amount of income. I still stand by it N50k is not enough to run a home conveniently without any atom of harsh condition.

There is power of choice. Why would any man choose to bring in children when he hasn't enough money? When school fees come in how does he do it? Feeding? N50k in present Nigeria is like 25k let's be honest. And yet we are claiming poverty rate is high why won't it be high?when more people are being born into hardship

Verbalist:

The flaw inherent in your argument is the assumption that people's fortunes will remain the same.

Should one then kill off his heirs and divorce his spouse should his fortunes take a nosedive for the worse?

Should one come out of poverty-induced celibacy to marry should his lot better tomorrow?

The keyword is BASIC NEEDS. If a man earns enough to provide the basic needs, he can marry.

Comfort and luxury, though desirous, are still wants.
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by naijamakossa(m): 4:55pm On Mar 21, 2016
Vinshu:

if I see comments like this I wonder why women are fighting for equal right with men.
Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Verbalist(m): 4:55pm On Mar 21, 2016
coolsix:
Because fortunes might not remain means someone should start a family that is prone to hardship?

I never said a man must be rich. I did not state any minimum amount of income. I still stand by it N50k is not enough to run a home conveniently without any atom of harsh condition.

There is power of choice. Why would any man choose to bring in children when he hasn't enough money? When school fees come in how does he do it? Feeding? N50k in present Nigeria is like 25k let's be honest. And yet we are claiming poverty rate is high why won't it be high?when more people are being born into hardship

By which analysis did you conclude say a family of 4 can't survive on 50k monthly please?

Beats me

Re: Is Marriage A Goal And Dream Killer? by Josephamstrong1(m): 5:36pm On Mar 21, 2016
Vinshu:

Ah see yuh

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Selfie Madness: See What This Lady Did At A Gravesite! (picture) / A Thought Inspired By Ivvy / The Pain Of Being Beardless

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.