Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,564 members, 7,812,823 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:04 PM

Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 (3274 Views)

Pastor Mathew Ashimolowo Blasts Daddy Freeze For Teaching Against Tithing VIDEO / MMM: Pastor Mathew Ashimolowo's KICC Loses $4.8 Million / Complete Breakdown Of Mathew 24:29-30 Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by Kujo(m): 8:09pm On Mar 21, 2016
can someone please explain what the bible is trying to say in the book of mathew 5 vs 25

New International Version
"Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still together on the way, or your adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison.

King James Bible
Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.
Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by Nobody: 8:13pm On Mar 21, 2016
Proverbs 17:8
A bribe is like a lucky charm; whoever gives one will prosper

Ready to see what spin our 'God is always right' believers will put on this.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by solid3(m): 8:15pm On Mar 21, 2016
We all know that there is what is known as out of court settlement. So, it seems more like that's what the Bible was saying here.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by zenith4biz(m): 8:18pm On Mar 21, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

A gift is as a precious stone in the eyes of him that hath it: whithersoever it turneth, it prospereth.
Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by ozy4christ(f): 8:21pm On Mar 21, 2016
Dont read bible as a novel,ask d holy spirit 4 interpretatn,dat single passage got diff.meaning 2 diff people depending on ur situation,as 4 me it means peaceful settlement cos God knws when case reaches court many things wil go wrong which u kw,and d poor wil suffèr
Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by Khd95(m): 8:22pm On Mar 21, 2016
ozy4christ:
Dont read bible as a novel,ask d holy spirit 4 interpretatn,dat single passage got diff.meaning 2 diff people depending on ur situation,as 4 me it means peaceful settlement cos God knws when case reaches court many things wil go wrong which u kw,and d poor wil suffèr
grin
Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by Nobody: 8:29pm On Mar 21, 2016
ozy4christ:
holy spirit aka the voice in your head aka you aka you giving yourself an interpretation and claiming it's the Holy Spirit. Lmao.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by PENCILLER(m): 8:31pm On Mar 21, 2016
Pls, mr.&mrs if u don't know just keep quiet! Must u talk?
Let the pastors speak..:p

1 Like

Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by Kujo(m): 8:31pm On Mar 21, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

holy spirit aka the voice in your head aka you aka you giving yourself an interpretation and claiming it's the Holy Spirit. Lmao.

nice bro, tell them
Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by Nobody: 8:33pm On Mar 21, 2016
zenith4biz:

A gift is as a precious stone in the eyes of him that hath it: whithersoever it turneth, it prospereth.
You see today's English, you go carry prospereth and whithersoever enter matter.. grin this God and his confusion.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by Nobody: 8:35pm On Mar 21, 2016
Kujo:

nice bro, tell them
No mind dem..tomorrow, if their bank account no full, Holy Spirit go tell them make them build church for expansion of his ministry..

And.their account.

Holie Spirit indeed.
Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by ozy4christ(f): 8:47pm On Mar 21, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

a u a christian?oh sorry ur moniker says it all.never mind
Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by psucc(m): 8:56pm On Mar 21, 2016
This posters don't even think o!

Op, are you a police officer?

That's the portion our Nigerian police officers quote to get cash from some motorists who may want to prove a point.

1 Like

Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by Nobody: 9:22pm On Mar 21, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

You are truly a son of lucifer as your name implies. You just misquoted the bible. This is what it really says...

"A present is a precious stone in the eyes of its possessor; wherever he turns, he prospers"

May God have mercy on you for misquoting the bible.....
Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by malvisguy212: 10:29pm On Mar 21, 2016
Kujo:
can someone please explain what the bible is trying to say in the book of mathew 5 vs 25

"Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still together on the way, or your adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison.

King James Bible
Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.
did you read and understand the context ? Its about anger and reconciliation. The bible condemned bribery and stealing, the message is very simple. Let us quote from verse 24:

24leave your offering there before the altar
and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and
then come and present your offering. 25"Make
friends quickly with your opponent at law while
you are with him on the way, so that your
opponent may not hand you over to the judge,
and the judge to the officer, and you be thrown
into prison. 26"Truly I say to you, you will not
come out of there until you have paid up the
last cent.

Is their any mention of bribery here ? Make friend quickly with your opponent on your way to court, does it mean you should bribe him ? It is because your heart is CORRUPTED, that is why you think the other way round, well , keep it up, thank but no thank from were you learn this moral behavior.

Proverb 28:8
do not bring hastily to court, for what will you do in the end if your neighbor puts you to shame?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by ATMC(f): 11:03am On Mar 22, 2016
ozy4christ:
a u a christian?oh sorry ur moniker says it all.never mind
Do you know Christians (plus me) are very judgemental. See the way you declared him not a Christian just because of his moniker...are u saying because your moniker has for Christ, you are a christian? You need understanding.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by ATMC(f): 11:10am On Mar 22, 2016
lordnicklaus:

You are truly a son of lucifer as your name implies. You just misquoted the bible. This is what it really says...

"A present is a precious stone in the eyes of its possessor; wherever he turns, he prospers"

May God have mercy on you for misquoting the bible.....
You need God's mercy more for judging him.

He quoted amplified version of the bible and you were ruffled! If it had been 'God loves a cheerful giver' maybe you wouldn't have condemned him.

You 'truly' confirmed him a son of Lucifer...who has "truly" confirmed you son of God?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by ATMC(f): 11:12am On Mar 22, 2016
malvisguy212:
did you read and understand the context ? Its about anger and reconciliation. The bible condemned bribery and stealing, the message is very simple. Let us quote from verse 24:

last cent.

Is their any mention of bribery here ? Make friend quickly with your opponent on your way to court, does it mean you should bribe him ? It is because your heart is CORRUPTED, that is why you think the other way round, well , keep it up, thank but no thank from were you learn this moral behavior.

do not bring hastily to court, for what will you do in the end if your neighbor puts you to shame?
Correct!

Christians on nl learn to attack the message not the messenger
Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by Nobody: 11:31am On Mar 22, 2016
malvisguy212:

last cent.

For once, you've made a brilliant submission, even though eh, I don't agree. But you use small sense for here sha.. grin
Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by ElCount: 11:49am On Mar 22, 2016
Kujo:

King James Bible
How does this verse encourage bribe please be wise and don't twist the word of God.
Exodus 23:8- "take no bribes, for for a bribe makes you ignore something that you clearly see. A bribe makes even a righteous person twist the truth" that's what the bible says about bribe

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by Nobody: 7:20pm On Mar 22, 2016
ElCount:
How does this verse encourage bribe please be wise and don't twist the word of God.
Exodus 23:8- "take no bribes, for for a bribe makes you ignore something that you clearly see. A bribe makes even a righteous person twist the truth" that's what the bible says about bribe
Different books in the Bible written by different authors living in different times. That accounts for most of the discrepancies in the Bible.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by ElCount: 7:24pm On Mar 22, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

Different books in the book written by different authors living in different times. That accounts for most of the discrepancies in the Bible.
there is only one author of the bible and that's the Holy Spirit. Looking at ur moniker I don't think I have anything to explain to you though cos its obvious you know the truth but have chosen to serve the devil. I pray God will have mercy on you and show you the way

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by Nobody: 7:26pm On Mar 22, 2016
ElCount:
there is only one author of the bible and that's the Holy Spirit. Looking at ur moniker I don't think I have anything to explain to you though cos its obvious you know the truth but have chosen to serve the devil. I pray God will have mercy on you and show you the way
You mean the Holy Spirit wrote the Bible with pen and paper?
Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by ElCount: 7:59pm On Mar 22, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

You mean the Holy Spirit wrote the Bible with pen and paper?
Psalm 81:11-13
"But My people did not listen to My voice, And Israel did not
obey Me. "So I gave them over to the stubbornness of their
heart, To walk in their own devices. "Oh that My people
would listen to Me, That Israel would walk in My ways!

Isaiah 8:6
"Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones
those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather
your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks
under her wings, and you were unwilling.

Jeremiah 8:8-9
"How can you say, 'We are wise, And the law of the LORD is
with us'? But behold, the lying pen of the scribes Has made it
into a lie. "The wise men are put to shame, They are
dismayed and caught; Behold, they have rejected the word
of the LORD, And what kind of wisdom do they have?

Jeremiah 6:10
To whom shall I speak and give warning That they may hear?
Behold, their ears are closed And they cannot listen Behold,
the word of the LORD has become a reproach to them; They
have no delight in it.

Zechariah 7:12
"They made their hearts like flint so that they could not hear
the law and the words which the LORD of hosts had sent by
His Spirit through the former prophets; therefore great
wrath came from the LORD of hosts."

You have purposely rejected the word of God as well as God Himself and you have yourself alone to blame. Here's a news flash for you this life is per head and you are not doing anyone a favor by serving God neither are you doing God a favor by serving Him so you need to work on that aspect of your mentality.

1 Like

Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by Kujo(m): 1:22am On Mar 23, 2016
ElCount:

Nothing confuse me more than bible,
Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by malvisguy212: 7:43am On Mar 23, 2016
Kujo:

because you don't have a teachable spirit.
Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by Scholar8200(m): 8:24am On Mar 23, 2016
Kujo:

King James Bible
Can the defendant ever bribe the plaintiff?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by ElCount: 12:09pm On Mar 23, 2016
Kujo:

that's why we always pray before study, its not a book you read and understand with a mortal mind. Again using several translations also helps
Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by Nobody: 12:15pm On Mar 23, 2016
ElCount:

You have purposely rejected the word of God as well as God Himself and you have yourself alone to blame. Here's a news flash for you this life is per head and you are not doing anyone a favor by serving God neither are you doing God a favor by serving Him so you need to work on that aspect of your mentality.

My God!!! So I dey go hell? sad

angry damn. I thought Jesus already paid for my sins.

1 Like

Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by ElCount: 8:31pm On Mar 23, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

My God!!! So I dey go hell? sad

angry damn. I thought Jesus already paid for my sins.
He did but you didn't believe in Him thereby rejecting Him so you have yourself to blame for that unless you turn back to Him in repentance
Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by Nobody: 8:38pm On Mar 23, 2016
ElCount:
He did but you didn't believe in Him thereby rejecting Him
Really. So why do I have to believe? If you pay for my rent, I don't need to 'believe' you did, in order to enjoy the facilities. Why can't I pay for my sin? Where did this imaginary debt come from?

ElCount:
so you have yourself to blame for that unless you turn back to Him in repentance
Please, since you claim to communicate him, tell him that if it is repentance that he wants, he should come and die on another cross for me to see.

1 Like

Re: Is The Bible Encouraging Bribe? Mathew 5 Vs 25 by ElCount: 10:13am On Mar 24, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

Really. So why do I have to believe? If you pay for my rent, I don't need to 'believe' you did, in order to enjoy the facilities. Why can't I pay for my sin? Where did this imaginary debt come from?

Please, since you claim to communicate him, tell him that if it is repentance that he wants, he should come and die on another cross for me to see.

You demand a sign? Here's what the bible says
Mt 12:39-40 "But Jesus replied, only an evil, adulterous
generation would demand a miraculous sign; but the only
sign I will give them is the sign of the prophet Jonah 40-For
as Jonah was in the belly of the great fish for three days and
three nights, so will the Son of Man be in the heart of the
earth for three days and three nights."
Keep waiting for Him to come and die again so u can believe goodluck with that.

In Heb 11:6 we are told "But without faith its impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him"
Hence without faith the word of God will obviously be foolishness to you especially given the fact that you want to interpret the Word with human mind and logic.
Luke 20:29 "...Blessed are those who believe without seeing me"

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Does Eckankar Members Do. / 2021 Prophecies From Prophet Elijah Dankano (major Seer1) / Prophet T.b. Joshua Prohpesies --- Roger Wright's Family Plane Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.