Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,990 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:14 AM

I Saw A Truck Driver Crushed A Pedestrian. Now I Live With The Guilt - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Saw A Truck Driver Crushed A Pedestrian. Now I Live With The Guilt (683 Views)

Ben Ubeh, CAN Chairman Crushed To Death In Taraba / How Do I Overcome The Guilt Of Fornication ? / The Church Banner I Saw On My Way In Portharcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Saw A Truck Driver Crushed A Pedestrian. Now I Live With The Guilt by hotwax: 2:55pm On Mar 22, 2016
I was on my way from work when I heard people screaming in agony and pointing to a lorry in front of the Maruwa I boarded. In fact it was in front of me. The truck tires were drawing tracks of blood as a result of grinded flesh suspected to be that of a man.
It took the driver like 4 minutes before he could realize he has done something grave. When he did, he quickly jammed his brake and jumped off the truck.

I noticed he was in a blue shirt. But I didn’t follow him through. So, people started gathering, and some street guys started asking “where is the driver?” “Where is the driver ?”. To my dismay, I saw the driver pretending to joining them to look for the perpetrator. Nobody recognized the guy except me.

I wanted to point him out, but I was afraid. Different thoughts came to my mind. What if they lynch this man? What if I am not sure he is the one? What if innocent man is accused? I heard to stay action and watch the man escaped.

Ever since then, I feel guilty. I have prayed so many times to God for forgiveness, I don’t know if I am forgiven or not. It hurts to remember that scene and my role in the whole event.
Re: I Saw A Truck Driver Crushed A Pedestrian. Now I Live With The Guilt by proxillin(m): 3:04pm On Mar 22, 2016
To me...you are not guilty. U did the right thing.

This life is unfair..
Re: I Saw A Truck Driver Crushed A Pedestrian. Now I Live With The Guilt by darlingnuel(m): 3:06pm On Mar 22, 2016
Let God be his judge. Pointing him out would probably have gotten him lynched and this wouldnt bring back the dead. Moreover, he can always be traced via his vehicle. Peace!

1 Like

Re: I Saw A Truck Driver Crushed A Pedestrian. Now I Live With The Guilt by thesicilian: 3:07pm On Mar 22, 2016
You should have been bold enough to point him out. In an IDEAL setting, that is the right thing to do. The driver should assist in taking the victim to the hospital and paying the hospital bills - if the victim survived.

In a situation where the victim died, as is likely the case you have described, then it is better to let the driver escape - chiefly because present day Nigerians are always too quick to order for petrol, tyre & matches. The police if they do their job well can always trace him later from the particulars of the vehicle.

So I guess in conclusion, you did the right thing, especially as you were not even 100% sure...
Re: I Saw A Truck Driver Crushed A Pedestrian. Now I Live With The Guilt by RillJ(m): 3:08pm On Mar 22, 2016
I dont think you deserve this self-condemnation considering what might have befell the 'driver' if you had acted in the contrary; it could have ended in two lives instead of one. A motorist killing someone is manslaughter in the worst case with maximum sentence of life imprisonment with possibility of pardon, but who knows if you had pointed to 'him' at that time.

Moreover, the Police has a duty to trace the owner of the vehicle via registration details and eventually get the driver.

God be with you brother!
Re: I Saw A Truck Driver Crushed A Pedestrian. Now I Live With The Guilt by hotwax: 3:10pm On Mar 22, 2016
RillJ:
I dont think you deserve this self-condemnation considering what might have befell the 'driver' if you had acted in the contrary; it could have ended in two lives instead of one. A motorist killing someone is manslaughter in the worst case with maximum sentence of life imprisonment with possibility of pardon, but who knows if you had pointed to 'him' at that time.

Moreover, the Police has a duty to trace the owner of the vehicle via registration details and eventually get the driver.

God be with you brother!

Soothing. Thanks.
Re: I Saw A Truck Driver Crushed A Pedestrian. Now I Live With The Guilt by hotwax: 3:22pm On Mar 22, 2016
thesicilian:
You should have been bold enough to point him out. In an IDEAL setting, that is the right thing to do. The driver should assist in taking the victim to the hospital and paying the hospital bills - if the victim survived.

In a situation where the victim died, as is likely the case you have described, then it is better to let the driver escape - chiefly because present day Nigerians are always too quick to order for petrol, tyre & matches. The police if they do their job well can always trace him later from the particulars of the vehicle.

So I guess in conclusion, you did the right thing, especially as you were not even 100% sure...

The victim was in pieces. Practically there was no victim except chunks of meat here and there.
Re: I Saw A Truck Driver Crushed A Pedestrian. Now I Live With The Guilt by proxillin(m): 3:23pm On Mar 22, 2016
darlingnuel:
Let God be his judge. Pointing him out would probably have gotten him lynched and this wouldnt bring back the dead. Moreover, he can always be traced via his vehicle. Peace!

My thought.
Re: I Saw A Truck Driver Crushed A Pedestrian. Now I Live With The Guilt by Nobody: 4:22pm On Mar 22, 2016
You just saved a life that took a life. What he did was an error, the lynching he narrowly escaped would have been deliberate.

Be happy, a man gets to meet his family this evening. There's a possibility that he could be traced, and eventually found. You did a good thing.

RIP to the victim.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Saw A Truck Driver Crushed A Pedestrian. Now I Live With The Guilt by finofaya: 6:37pm On Mar 22, 2016
You didn't witness the collision. You most likely don't know if it was the driver's fault or not. If it was not his fault you have nothing to feel guilty about. Even if it was his fault, I think you made the right decision in the circumstances considering that he would probably now be dead if you had ID'd him.

1 Like

Re: I Saw A Truck Driver Crushed A Pedestrian. Now I Live With The Guilt by Nobody: 6:51pm On Mar 22, 2016
hotwax:

The victim was in pieces. Practically there was no victim except chunks of meat here and there.
Damn. This shall not happen to any of us this year in Jesus Name. embarassed
Re: I Saw A Truck Driver Crushed A Pedestrian. Now I Live With The Guilt by Amberon: 7:53pm On Mar 22, 2016
Op... Know it from today that anytime you ask for forgiveness with all your heart, it is immediately granted.
Re: I Saw A Truck Driver Crushed A Pedestrian. Now I Live With The Guilt by Nobody: 9:03pm On Mar 22, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

Damn. This shall not happen to any of us this year in Jesus Name. embarassed

No one is saying amen to your prayer. Your moniker must have scared them away. grin

They're like ehn? Our pastors never told us to associate or agree with the devil. grin

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

'apostle Killed My Wife' - Husband Of Late Gospel Artiste / 3 Popular Musicians And A Governor Will Die – Apostle Suleman Prophesies / Pics: The Work Of Demons On Person’s Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.