Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,701 members, 7,955,640 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:44 AM

Say No To 'Women's Equality' - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Say No To 'Women's Equality' (6110 Views)

Governor Ajimobi Gives Ramadan Gifts To Women And Orphanages (Pics) / DSS Hands Over 82 Freed Chibok Girls To Women Affairs For Rehabilitation / n (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by Rossikk(m): 1:58pm On Mar 25, 2016
lindabon:
Let me get this. So you do not want a fair world because a man should be the one to slap a woman, kick her out of the house, etc? Your view that narcissistic, abusive, and sadistic behaviour should be allowed only if the man is the sole administrator of such harsh treatment, is rather troubling.

You are entitled to your own opinion and I can either laugh at it, criticise it, or reason with it. I maintain that I will not advocate for a world where any one is treated unfairly. I have seen most people raised in patriarchal societies, and I genuinely feel sorry for the men as well as the women, because they do not know how much better things will be if they didn't have to carry so many responsibilities alone and If they rather just shared their burden with each other. China, Japan and India as you mentioned and even western countries are still making effort to bridge the gap and so is every other nation. I hate to disappoint you, but a fair, just and balanced society is what everyone will adopt at some point and the simple reason is because no one has yet been able to come up with a concrete reason why one person should be discriminated against. So if you do not want a fair society, you need to start coming up with a good argument against it instead of just saying, "I prefer a system where the men are the abusive ones rather than the women" or "Women have always been the victims of abuse, why change that now". Such ideas do not hold water and will easily get crushed in the future and there is very little anyone can do about it, unfortunately. Without a good supporting argument against fairness, a fair and just society will not only be a prescription but also a bitter pill most people will be forced to swallow to rid the world of bias and make the world a better place..
Empty, flowery words signifying nothing, and peppered with lies. China is NOT embracing so called gender equality. Neither is Japan. In Africa we have a female president and women in parliaments all over the continent. When last did you see a female Chinese or female Japanese govt official? So Africans do not marginalise their women. But we do not, and will never accept Western concepts of 'gender equality'. We have the right balance. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by Pearlmarvy: 2:14pm On Mar 25, 2016
I think you got it all wrong equality of women does not include all you have said, all we advocate is for our voice to be heared and to be treated not as second class citizens. And you saying you will beat up your wife and she calls police, is she some kind of object, you are two matured people that needs to settle dispute amicably .

2 Likes

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by Uniben4sure: 2:14pm On Mar 25, 2016
Rossikk:

Actually, Africa remains ''bacanticlockwiseumb word by the way) because thoughtless copycat oafs like you will swallow any old crap the west throws at you without questioning or investigating its impact on your own society. The west you worship show a divorce rate of 65% wth broken families and children raised by single mothers now the order of the e accompanying effects on crime, truancy, teenage pregnancy, gangsterism, drugs, alcoholism and other ills facing those societies. A ship cannot have two captains. Africans knew this before the west existed.

By the way Mr Saint, do you support gay marriage in Nigeria, and if not, why not? Why are you ''suppressing gay people''?
I would have answered the questions you asked in the post above but your opening remarks clearly revealed the kind of person you are. You are obviously a retarded 1diot who should be living in the thickest part the bush among the baboons.
You don't deserve to live among humans tbh with you.

F00ls like you are the reason why I pray to God to give me only female offspring so that I can teach your likes some lessons about how great a lady can be when given the chance.
Thank God there are many of my type of guys who don't reason in an anticlockwise direction like you do.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by ISpiksDaTroof: 2:17pm On Mar 25, 2016
sinkhole:
That's like legalising homosexuality I dont think it can work in Africa! I, for one, will prefer not to marry, I will be doing "hit and run" all over that will result in me turning many women to single mothers (I think they have lot of that in the West?), the kids will ask for their father latter in life grin

Theres also something called "Child Support" out here. grin grin grin
Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by Rossikk(m): 2:34pm On Mar 25, 2016
Pearlmarvy:
I think you got it all wrong equality of women does not include all you have said, all we advocate is for our voice to be heared and to be treated not as second class citizens. And you saying you will beat up your wife and she calls police, is she some kind of object, you are two matured people that needs to settle dispute amicably .
99% of men would not hit their wives if their wives did not hurl vitriolic insults at them. Why should a woman insult and abuse someone that is physically stronger than her? And then expect not to be touched? That's unnatural. I as a man cannot walk up to a seven foot guy with thick muscles and start insulting him. Why? Because I know he'll box me up. In Nigeria, a housemaid cannot walk up to her madam and start abusing her. Why? Because the madam will slap her up and sack her. Cuba cannot launch an air strike against the USA. Why? Because the US will retaliate and annihilate them. You cannot wake up in the morning and start hurling insults at God. Why? Because you know he merely has to click his fingers and you're history. Nobody contests these examples of real world power imbalance. So why should women expect to escape the natural consequence of their spiteful and nasty utterances? And then when you slap her she says "no we are equal...you can't touch me". Well, since you are equal, fight me back nah.. Why run to oyinbo to protest?

3 Likes

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by londoner: 5:04pm On Mar 25, 2016
Why would a wife wake up and start abusing her husband out of nowhere though?

99% of women would not do that out of nowhere. You need to check yourself as a husband if that is happening. If you don't know how to settle a verbal disagreement verbally maybe now is the time.
It is called emotional maturity.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by londoner: 5:16pm On Mar 25, 2016
Many Nigerians especially the men are emotionally immature. Even if you take women out the equation look at the bus drivers,okada men, market traders all the way up to politicians. Shouting all the time and fighting physically when they are angry...in public too.

Is it parliamentarians brawling shamefully? Or maybe policemen fighting in the street? Far too many Nigerian men use physical violence when they are annoyed and I suspect it is because they simply know no other way.

In the West some large men are nicknamed 'gentle giants' while some shorter guys are known to have 'short man syndrome' which is identified as a percieved preemptive show of violence or aggression. It's generally not cool for a man who is large to push his weight around just because he is taller or bigger they would be viewed as bullies actually. And cowards if done to a woman.

There should be a difference between the way an adolescent male behaves and a man who is mature emotionally.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by atakamus: 5:29pm On Mar 25, 2016
I am strongly against any gender anything. These women will kill us. God forbid and save us from these satanic people proposing nonsense.
I fear when I hear say they de debate such bill. Thank God for some niggas that threw it away.
Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by rudebouy: 5:37pm On Mar 25, 2016
Rossikk:
What they really want is female superiority which they disguise as 'equality' to deceive people.

I dont know who you are. But God bless you for this statement .

Well I laff in ibibio sha... Imagine ppl Akpabio losing half of his ill-gotten wealth to his wife in the name of divorce? Haha! Or Dangote losing half of his years of labour to a wife becos of divorce...

Haha! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by lindabon: 5:48pm On Mar 25, 2016
londoner:
Many Nigerians especially the men are emotionally immature. Even if you take women out the equation look at the bus drivers,okada men, market traders all the way up to politicians. Shouting all the time and fighting physically when they are angry...in public too.
Is it parliamentarians brawling shamefully? Or maybe policemen fighting in the street? Far too many Nigerian men use physical violence when they are annoyed and I suspect it is because they simply know no other way.

Totally Agree. We are all matured adults and we need to learn how to handle positive and negative criticism, without resort to physical, mental, or verbal abuse. Men and Women should Treat each other with respect at all times. Conflict is inevitable, and in times of conflict and disagreement, always opt for a more assertive approach rather than aggression and power play. If a man or a woman abuses someone else for whatever reason, it is WRONG.

1 Like

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by londoner: 6:15pm On Mar 25, 2016
atakamus:
I am strongly against any gender anything. These women will kill us. God forbid and save us from these satanic people proposing nonsense.
I fear when I hear say they de debate such bill. Thank God for some niggas that threw it away.

Why would women kill you though?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by ApexTitan(m): 6:20pm On Mar 25, 2016
The push for "women's equality" has proven time and again to be the official endorsement of a system that accords unfair and unearned rights to one particular gender and in this regard the OP is right to call Nigerians to be wary.

Whatever concerns that proponents of women's equality have can and should be adequately addressed by legislation that is gender agnostic. The rights to education, freedom of association, healthcare and the likes should be structured to embrace all citizens therefore catering to one particular gender is uncalled for.

Evidence abounds in the West how the equality movement has been and continues to be abused to the overall detriment of the society. This is something Nigeria certainly does not need.

I guess this is one of the rare instances where I agree completely with the OPgrin
Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by CookieBrown: 6:22pm On Mar 25, 2016
Rossikk:
Or we will become like America where a woman can kick you out of the house after an argument, and take over your house. Divorce rates will shoot up to 65% like in the US as the wife starts to wear the trousers in the house and turn a demigoddess. She will insult and abuse you and if you slap her she'll call the police and they'll lock you up even without evidence. Say no now before it is too late.

Looks like someone doesn't know the difference between equal rights for women and Divorce laws. Just look at those stats he pulled out of his black bum hole. This man or boy as best described is asking people to say no to his mother having the same equal rights as he, and people wonder why the nation is so messed up.

By the way OP, you are already like Americans, just a lesser version offcourse. Ladies and gents, i present to you, your future leaders of tomorow.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by Fulaman198(m): 8:10pm On Mar 25, 2016
I'm sorry but I must say yes to women's equality. Women should be the ones ruling the world with men beneath the soles of their feet.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by macof(m): 9:08pm On Mar 25, 2016
Fulaman198:
I'm sorry but I must say yes to women's equality. Women should be the ones ruling the world with men beneath the soles of their feet.

and how is this equality

4 Likes

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by CookieBrown: 9:15pm On Mar 25, 2016
londoner:

In the West some large men are nicknamed 'gentle giants' while some shorter guys are known to have 'short man syndrome' which is identified as a percieved preemptive show of violence or aggression. It's generally not cool for a man who is large to push his weight around just because he is taller or bigger they would be viewed as bullies actually. And cowards if done to a woman.

There should be a difference between the way an adolescent male behaves and a man who is mature emotionally.

Far too many Nigerian men use physical violence when they are annoyed and I suspect it is because they simply know no other way ---> But off course they know no other way, they (80% of Nigerian men) lack the mental capacity to think critically and apply logic to their daily lives, that's why they have failed in every area the Europeans and Asians have succeeded. Do you think it's coincidence other blacks outside African succeed far better than them? All they know is how to loot public funds, brag / chest beat, eat, shit and sleep. Almost everything he has in his life is thanks to the same Euros he hates, bloody hypocrites, just imagine if Europeans had the same mentality these idiots have, we'd all still be 1000 years behind today's developments. Instead of thinking of how to embrace change and development and improve his society, he's busy fighting women.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by Fulaman198(m): 9:23pm On Mar 25, 2016
macof:

and how is this equality

We are benefitting by being at the soles of women's feet and knowing our place in this world.

1 Like

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by Fulaman198(m): 9:24pm On Mar 25, 2016
CookieBrown:

Far too many Nigerian men use physical violence when they are annoyed and I suspect it is because they simply know no other way ---> But off course they know no other way, they (80% of Nigerian men) lack the mental capacity to think critically and apply logic to their daily lives, that's why they have failed in every area the Europeans and Asians have succeeded. Do you think it's coincidence other blacks outside African succeed far better than them? All they know is how to loot public funds, brag / chest beat, eat, shit and sleep. Almost everything he has in his life is thanks to the same Euros he hates, bloody hypocrites, just imagine if Europeans had the same mentality these idiots have, we'd all still be 1000 years behind today's developments. Instead of thinking of how to embrace change and development and improve his society, he's busy fighting women.

It has absolutely nothing to do with why African nations have failed. That's purely opinion. Also, the 80% figure needs to be checked/assessed.

1 Like

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by Nobody: 10:19pm On Mar 25, 2016
Fulaman198:
shocked bakayi karya ba kuwa?
Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by GooseBaba: 1:06am On Mar 26, 2016
sinkhole:
A little correction please! Instead of "African men" why not just say "Africans", because African women are also very guilty of being instinctive, infact their own worse, African women rearely think at all, that is why they are majority in religious places!

Abeg make una march break for this African nonsense...This demented assertions are they percuilar to only Africans...! Societal norms is not a DNA test.
Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by macof(m): 7:09am On Mar 26, 2016
Fulaman198:

We are benefitting by being at the soles of women's feet and knowing our place in this world.

you're not making any sense

1 Like

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by londoner: 7:50am On Mar 26, 2016
macof:

and how is this equality

That's not equality at all.

2 Likes

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by londoner: 8:04am On Mar 26, 2016
ApexTitan:
The push for "women's equality" has proven time and again to be the official endorsement of a system that accords unfair and unearned rights to one particular gender and in this regard the OP is right to call Nigerians to be wary.

Whatever concerns that proponents of women's equality have can and should be adequately addressed by legislation that is gender agnostic. The rights to education, freedom of association, healthcare and the likes should be structured to embrace all citizens therefore catering to one particular gender is uncalled for.

Evidence abounds in the West how the equality movement has been and continues to be abused to the overall detriment of the society. This is something Nigeria certainly does not need.

I guess this is one of the rare instances where I agree completely with the OPgrin

Sorry, but I think you're wrong. What unfair and unearned rights? The issue especially in places like Nigeria is that lack of equality between the sexes is to the detriment of the home and larger society. The mindset still prevails in some parts that the girl child is not educated, where the girl child is FORCED to marry so young. Where the girl child undergoes FGM. Where domestic violence is accepted, where a woman can not inherit from her father even if her hard earned money has helped build it. So many more example for which the boy child simply has NO EQUIVALENT.

There was a time in the West when women could not vote. When my mum first came to the UK and met and married my dad she was not allowed to purchase a house with her own money and have it in her name. They still have inequalities in pay in the West. Now you tell me how it is fair that two people do the exact same job but one is paid less because she is a woman. It is the man being paid more even though he does not do more that is an unearned and unfair right. In Nigeria and Africa men are automatically afforded unearned and unfair privileges and the discriminatory attitude towards women abounds even in 2016.

The need for gender equality for women is as a result of the rights that men ALREADY enjoy. That's kind of the point.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by Nobody: 8:10am On Mar 26, 2016
Rossikk:

Or we will become like America where a woman can kick you out of the house after an argument, and take over your house. Divorce rates will shoot up to 65% like in the US as the wife starts to wear the trousers in the house and turn a demigoddess. She will insult and abuse you and if you slap her she'll call the police and they'll lock you up even without evidence. Say no now before it is too late.

I have been seriously worried about Amerika eroding our culture. We shouldn't always emulate Amerika that has never been up no to good.

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by londoner: 8:19am On Mar 26, 2016
Fulaman198:

It has absolutely nothing to do with why African nations have failed. That's purely opinion. Also, the 80% figure needs to be checked/assessed.

It actually is the main reason IMO. Although not the only reason.

Look at the lack of good quality leadership and the sheer incompetence of Nigerian leadership. It is due to the mindset and alot of the time it is retrogressive and beclouded by greed and male EGO.

2 Likes

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by GooseBaba: 2:47pm On Mar 26, 2016
londoner:

It actually is the main reason IMO. Although not the only reason.

Look at the lack of good quality leadership and the sheer incompetence of Nigerian leadership. It is due to the mindset and alot of the time it is retrogressive and beclouded by greed and male EGO.

Aunty mi... Male Ego does not come close as real reasons why Africans have demented leadership. There's is tribalism, nepotism, political thuggery, and almighty geopolitics!!

To put the blame on gender is a bit dubious.. If I conclude that women cannot be trusted with power because of the battle of land grabbing between Turia and Patience Jonathan. Mind you they were not even elected officials just wives... :oWould you take me serious.
Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by Ghost01(m): 6:57pm On Mar 26, 2016
I'm all for gender equality; what's good for the man is good for the woman and vice versa. In addition, those trying to reduce violence to just physical assaults should remember that verbal abuse is also a form of violence. And violence in all its forms is unacceptable!

1 Like

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by chinchum(m): 7:15pm On Mar 26, 2016
In a marriage institution of a man & woman, there cant be equal partners, never. Someone has to be the senior partner for a successful marriage.

Some females want to get married and still retain the concept of equal partnership in marriage, it is delusion in my opinion. There must be a head in a marriage, the head ought to be make the final decision, or (s)he delegates the final decision in certain matters.

1 Like

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by londoner: 10:24pm On Mar 26, 2016
GooseBaba:

Aunty mi... Male Ego does not come close as real reasons why Africans have demented leadership. There's is tribalism, nepotism, political thuggery, and almighty geopolitics!!

To put the blame on gender is a bit dubious.. If I conclude that women cannot be trusted with power because of the battle of land grabbing between Turia and Patience Jonathan. Mind you they were not even elected officials just wives... :oWould you take me serious.

Well, in my opinion tribalism, nepotism, political thuggery and geopolitics stem from something....ego is one of them.

The 'I must be in top' 'I am always superior' mindset is the genesis of all you describe. Sometimes some women follow but it is primarily championed by the men. Women don't have enough power or influence to champion those things and make them an enduring element of Nigerian life and politics IMO.

1 Like

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by ApexTitan(m): 12:59am On Mar 27, 2016
londoner:

Sorry, but I think you're wrong. What unfair and unearned rights? The issue especially in places like Nigeria is that lack of equality between the sexes is to the detriment of the home and larger society. The mindset still prevails in some parts that the girl child is not educated, where the girl child is FORCED to marry so young. Where the girl child undergoes FGM. Where domestic violence is accepted, where a woman can not inherit from her father even if her hard earned money has helped build it. So many more example for which the boy child simply has NO EQUIVALENT.

There was a time in the West when women could not vote. When my mum first came to the UK and met and married my dad she was not allowed to purchase a house with her own money and have it in her name. They still have inequalities in pay in the West. Now you tell me how it is fair that two people do the exact same job but one is paid less because she is a woman. It is the man being paid more even though he does not do more that is an unearned and unfair right. In Nigeria and Africa men are automatically afforded unearned and unfair privileges and the discriminatory attitude towards women abounds even in 2016.

The need for gender equality for women is as a result of the rights that men ALREADY enjoy. That's kind of the point.

Like I said earlier whatever concerns or issues that you seek to address with the woman’s equality bill can be adequately dealt with using legislation that is gender neutral or agnostic. If the provisions from the state like the right of ALL citizens to healthcare, education, property rights etc are properly enforced there will be no need to go down the path, which is fraught with many dangers, of structuring legislation for any one gender.

Its not like the girl child is the only one with problems. Do you know that boys are four times more likely than girls to be diagnosed as emotionally disturbed, five more times likely to kill themselves, 3 more times to be diagnosed with ADD or 15 times more likely to be the victims of a violent crime.

Answers to your question about unfair rights and privileges for women are easy to find in the West:
Women (in the US) have the right to vote but are not obligated to sign up for the draft. Men have no such exemption or privilege; in exercising his right to vote the man is bound by the selective service act to be compulsorily drafted into the army during a period of war.
Women have the right to choose parenthood but men don’t. A woman can choose to give up a child for adoption, surrender the child to be a ward of the state or even abort the child - without notifying the father! A man on the other hand cannot renounce any of his responsibility as a father without drawing the ire of the law and facing jail time. In many instances through the coercion of the state and the woman he is made to be financially responsible for children he did not biologically father. One is not even going to mention the bias against men, but which women enjoy, that exists in child custody and alimony cases.

The wage gap between the sexes is a tired old myth that has been repeatedly disproved by economists. It is anything but discrimination as there are a number of factors like child birth, negotiating skills and life goals that perfectly account for the gap. The claim that (African) men by default are oppressive to women is one that has been done to death on this forum and till date only shows that people behind it have a blinkered view of the whole matter.

We don tire to dey talk this matter sef.

1 Like

Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by Nobody: 9:47am On Mar 28, 2016
Rossikk:
Grammar. Where is your evidence that adopting Western concepts of 'gender equality' will not lead to the widespread social malaise, broken homes and sky high divorce rates seen in the West? You think you know more than the Asians who have rejected such ideas? Learn to think original instead of blindly copying the west like a dunce. Oh... And South East Asia is economically behind Africa so you can ditch your ignorant allusions to Africa being at the bottom. Google "India poorer than Africa" to learn more.

the person also mentioned that so called ender equality is what made the western countries to be rulling the world. How ingorant! For the past 500 years, the west has been dominating world affairs andthat includes the time there was no gender equality.
Re: Say No To 'Women's Equality' by Nobody: 10:19am On Mar 28, 2016
londoner:
Also if India which one country within Asia is poorer than Africa which is a whole continent that should not be a shock and proves no point at all. Countries within Asia and other continents have work to do too but Africa as a continent and many African countries run by African men are usually behind others. Your counterparts in some places are competing to be top economies of the world but the Nigerian man can barely get just one refinery to work....and this is in 2016 ....smh.

so called gender equality is not what is responsible for the west's progress! Stop being ignorant! The west only started enacting so called gender equality bills just in the 60s. The west have been leadingthe world long before that, get it and stop lyin to youself! You can also stop the self hate!

This is how you guys come up and tell us that the fact we don't allow gay marriage is the reason we are backward. But tell me, how does a man fvccking another man enhance the socio-economic life and all other aspects of a nation's life? How does that give a nation power? There is absolutely no correlation anywhere. The western world achieved power long before any gender equality bill and any gay bill.

Also who told you Africa is backward? We have 7 of the 10 fastest growin economies in the world. That means we are the ones doing things right at the time your beloved west is lacking ideas. Many African countries have achieved over 80 percent of formal school education for its citizens. We have more paved roads that there ever were at the time of colonialism. There are more consumer service providers across the continent than there has ever been. This is possible because the people can now afford things themselves.

With the current number of paved roads in Nigeria, if we were as small as the UK geographically, we would have had almost all of our roads paved. And that means cleaner and healthier environment.

There is alot you can see about Africa that it is a place getting it right in all turns and not the bulllllshit you thin it is.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Requires $200b To Bridge Energy Gap - Shell / Border Closure: Sleeping Giant Nigeria Stirs And entire World Takes Notice. / Nigeria’s Total Debt Could Reach N50 Trillion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.