Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,812 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:15 AM

Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% (37830 Views)

Fayose: FG Wants To Tax Nigerians To Death, Condemns Increase In Cost Of Data / Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others / Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data & Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Bluffly: 2:30pm On Mar 27, 2016
sweetgala:

How much do you get taxed from your income (percentage %)

Do you know what the VAT rate is ?

Do you meet your property tax obligations, road tax etc

If not you have no excuse, I live in a EU country solely dependent on tax

My car road tax is over 400 annually
I pay income tax at 26%
VAT at 23%
Water tax is 100 annually
TV licence 150 annually
Capital gains tax can be up to 30%

If you are an employer you are looking at even more taxes
These EU countries in that category have no crude oil fir extreme gains and not much of natural resources for export. Saudi collects no vat which they just commenced this year. Its dumb asking me do I know our VAT rate. With all the CIT, vat, revenue that has been collected all this while what have we seen? Don't just open your mouth ad compare. Those EU country's have bearable leakages. Any serious governments needs to first make sure that there are zero or tolerable leakage in the system before burdening the masses. Let the government bring seasoned techs to curb financial malpractices before deciding if the citizens needs to pay more to have a better life.
If you want to compare, have the Nigerian government given back propotionately all this while. Do you know Libyans per virtually for nothing when Gadaffi was there and there roads is even better than Nigeria, not to forget stable electricity.
Mind you I pay my PIT and pay VAT in all I consume as the are inclusive already
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by wiseoneking: 2:40pm On Mar 27, 2016
kenonze:
If that will improve the economy, they should go ahead
Z for Zoooombi.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by DisGuy: 2:40pm On Mar 27, 2016
Chukzyfcb:
So this is how they generate revenue? By taxing the populace even more. they will only improve tax collection efficiency and not increaase it. So this is how we intend to generate the Non-oil revenue of over 3trillion naira........yet the same leaders will be preaching entrepreneurship to the youths,when they themselves are so clueless on how to double their income. #God dey

Have they increased it ?
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by ASL33: 2:40pm On Mar 27, 2016
sweetgala:

How much do you get taxed from your income (percentage %)

Do you know what the VAT rate is ?

Do you meet your property tax obligations, road tax etc

If not you have no excuse, I live in a EU country solely dependent on tax

My car road tax is over 400 annually
I pay income tax at 26%
VAT at 23%
Water tax is 100 annually
TV licence 150 annually
Capital gains tax can be up to 30%

If you are an employer you are looking at even more taxes
Which of the EU country do you love in?

1 Like

Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Iyoma2(f): 2:40pm On Mar 27, 2016
May their Memory go Blank before they return from Easter break so they wont mention this Thrash again.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Nobody: 2:42pm On Mar 27, 2016
The way I see this government they will soon tax me when I shit. God save us from this problem this zombies they put us
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by DisGuy: 2:44pm On Mar 27, 2016
honorbule:
If I should own one of the telecommunications company, i'd fire all my staff and move to another country.

totally agree with you, I will move to the company to erm Congo grin
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Chukzyfcb(m): 2:47pm On Mar 27, 2016
DisGuy:

Have they increased it ?
Isn't it obvious, from banking sector to the power sector where we pay more for electricity, now telecoms? That's the best fiscal policy, they can come up with as usual
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Boluwatife1: 2:48pm On Mar 27, 2016
why now just for d poor to bcom much more poor everyday
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by DisGuy: 2:50pm On Mar 27, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

Isn't it obvious, from banking sector to the power sector where we pay more for electricity, now telecoms? That's the best fiscal policy, they can come up with as usual

Not very obvious bro, That they started collecting it doesn't mean they have increased it now...the electricity tariff is something else though
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by 41lady(m): 2:51pm On Mar 27, 2016
dikeigbo2:
Op I hope Na joke,if its true naim be say they are hellbent in taxing our lives to death,season of multiple taxations....from banking sector to power, communications, information, energy and virtually every aspects of our daily activities. That most painful thing is they are paying theirs with state founds.
Our country, their empire
To top up, even the current charge is high compare to other countries, an unlimited Wifi in singapore, Malaysia, Maldives, China e.t.c is just like NGN8 to NGN15K per month, including TV programs. U will watch, download Movies on Youtubes, educational search-thesis,journals, lecture, throughout the month. Connect as many gadgets/smartphones, make internet calls.
These our leaders are wicked, they do travel to these countries and see how things are done but they do otherwise in Nigeria. cry cry guys are afraid to come back to Naija but no place like home they said, missing my mum's égosi, vegetable soup with cow tail and semo.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by omowolewa: 2:52pm On Mar 27, 2016
Tax Base be unique; imagine you paying toll fee after paying your transport fare?
sweetgala:

But these is a what is had in all countries world wide. What is most important is that the amount charged is correct
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by honorbule(m): 2:52pm On Mar 27, 2016
DisGuy:

totally agree with you, I will move to the company to erm Congo grin

Bad guyz
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Greenback: 2:54pm On Mar 27, 2016
superstar1:

I will blame the Drunken Master of Otuoke because he contributed in no small measures to the current situation of the country.

Only corrupt people and wailers see the International Buffon as their Hero and Jesus Xt.

and i pray Jesus Christ will help u, so u dont find uself looking for who to blame @age 70 and still unfulfilled.

1 Like

Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by ibedun: 3:00pm On Mar 27, 2016
superstar1:
It is funny that we pay all the taxes outside the country and protest against them in our country.

Taxes make the citizens more interested in politics and governance. It makes them to hold their governments more accountable, because it is their sweat. People were less concerned in the past because the fund being looted was not from their pockets directly.

Taxation is the path to better governance. I strongly believe.

However, establishing this new set of taxes without the people seeing what you have done with newly introduced ones is insensitive and criminal.

Show us what you have done with Stamp Duty and we can trust you with more. FIRS and Presidency listen to the voice of the people.

The fools do not understand this simple concept especially those from the East.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by coolscott(m): 3:06pm On Mar 27, 2016
kenonze:
If that will improve the economy, they should go ahead
[size=22pt]Why should we contribute 20bn per month to these people when we know the looters of yester years are still very much on the ground.

They are not even being creative about generating money. They are just playing out the extortionist mentality Nigeria is plagued with. Some are low class thugs. Others are dressed politicians bereft of ideas, or the will to pursue legitimate ones[/size]

superstar1
ibedun
Chukzyfcb
sweetgala

1 Like

Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by superstar1(m): 3:06pm On Mar 27, 2016
Greenback:

and i pray Jesus Christ will help u, so u dont find uself looking for who to blame @age 70 and still unfulfilled.

With every sense pf modesty and gratefulness to God, if you are half as fulfilled as i am now, then you can called yourself blessed.

I want a better country for my kids and children's children, a country they can be proud of and not the one they will be holding the passport and still ne running after the passport of another country where the likes of Trump will never accept them.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by sweetgala(m): 3:07pm On Mar 27, 2016
omowolewa:
Tax Base be unique; imagine you paying toll fee after paying your transport fare?

I pay toll, if I leave my home in Dublin and drive to Belfast I'll pass 3 toll gates, if I drove towrads Galway I'll pass through 2 toll gates
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by sweetgala(m): 3:07pm On Mar 27, 2016
ASL33:
Which of the EU country do you love in?

Ireland
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by onyxo76(m): 3:09pm On Mar 27, 2016
Such insensitivity, people are really suffering and yet people are taxed into their pants. I'm struggling to buy fuel at 150 per liter to fuel my gen as I have not had light all through this easter period and all this govt can do is to start taxing my phonecalls and data usage?
Soon we will paying tax for sleeping with our wives.. rubbish!

1 Like

Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by sweetgala(m): 3:09pm On Mar 27, 2016
Bluffly:

These EU countries in that category have no crude oil fir extreme gains and not much of natural resources for export. Saudi collects no vat which they just commenced this year. Its dumb asking me do I know our VAT rate. With all the CIT, vat, revenue that has been collected all this while what have we seen? Don't just open your mouth ad compare. Those EU country's have bearable leakages. Any serious governments needs to first make sure that there are zero or tolerable leakage in the system before burdening the masses. Let the government bring seasoned techs to curb financial malpractices before deciding if the citizens needs to pay more to have a better life.
If you want to compare, have the Nigerian government given back propotionately all this while. Do you know Libyans per virtually for nothing when Gadaffi was there and there roads is even better than Nigeria, not to forget stable electricity.
Mind you I pay my PIT and pay VAT in all I consume as the are inclusive already

All you have done is to defend the AWUF lifestyle of Nigerians , you have to pay your way in life
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Chukzyfcb(m): 3:09pm On Mar 27, 2016
DisGuy:

Not very obvious bro, That they started collecting it doesn't mean they have increased it now...the electricity tariff is something else though
I don't understaand you bro. That they'v started collectig it means business has started.
They proposed a new tarriff for light bills. Today we pay over 20naira from 15naira/kilowatt.....in the banking sector, we pay xtra charges for every little thing. I got charged for over 350naira for doing a transfer of mere 5000. Formerly it wasn't beyond 150naira. They have started implementing all whaat they proposed all. Don't be suprised to hear our VAT too will soon be increased.

1 Like

Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by COMPAQ(m): 3:11pm On Mar 27, 2016
For me the real issue is how the funds generated would be used and not the tax in itself. To be honest, oyinbo land (which we all look up to and wish our country was like ) is so much more advanced for 2 main reasons. They raise sufficient revenue through taxes and they are competent and judicious to use the money well.

For a country in our predicament, it's expected that taxes will have to go up. When Spectranet increased prices recently it probably didn't stop that many people from continuing to use it. Likewise Dstv has increased prices quite a few times over the last 10 years or so and Nigerians haven't stopped using it so I doubt the 9% will really break anyone's back. Inconvenient yes, absolutely unbearable, no!

So I say again, the real issue is judicious use of
funds.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by STARGREEN(m): 3:12pm On Mar 27, 2016
ibedun:

Mr. Wise Zoo may I know what you understand as Tax and the responsibility of the government towards its revenue? Maybe you give us few examples ranging from good roads, hospitals, markets, portable H2o, Security... well... sorry maybe your mental maturity is still at puberty.. but someday you will understand. Happy Easter
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by sleekdre: 3:15pm On Mar 27, 2016
This government na "Owoda" government oo!!!
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by omowolewa: 3:15pm On Mar 27, 2016
Its right for you to pay toll, thatz your vehicle. But after paying transport fare, you transporter need not ask for toll fee again.
Its all about the base

sweetgala:

I pay toll, if I leave my home in Dublin and drive to Belfast I'll pass 3 toll gates, if I drove towrads Galway I'll pass through 2 toll gates
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by jude90(m): 3:16pm On Mar 27, 2016
still in season one and people have started crying hmmmmmm wait till season two starts. I warned you guys
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by superstar1(m): 3:16pm On Mar 27, 2016
coolscott:

[size=22pt]Why should we contribute 20bn per month to these people when we know the looters of yester years are still very much on the ground[/size]
superstar1
ibedun
Chukzyfcb

Nice question.

We can contribute 20bn per month for govt as at today because there is no one on planet earth that can dispute the fact that we have strong men of integrity and worthy character as Number 1 and 2 citizens of this blessed country. Once you get the leadership right, all other things will fall into place with time.

Taxation should not be our problem, Our problem should be for every increase in taxation, the govt must enter into social contract that is legally binding with its people, clearly stating what will be done within a time frame and if not done, the people also have the right to stop paying. Simple.

That is building of trust between the governed and the governors.

Just 1 week outside the country will show you how much taxes people outside the country pay every month, why their govt does not joke with the welfarism of their people, while things appear to be working and why their populace are very much interested in their politics and governance matter.

Can you imagine one id1ot of a politician coming to my hood to be doling out public money after all and sundry have been taxed and he will not be stoned or lynched to death?

I might be wrong. but we have taken this route that has led us to nowhere severally and it is better for us to change our tactics.

1 Like

Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by COMPAQ(m): 3:16pm On Mar 27, 2016
41lady:

To top up, even the current charge is high compare to other countries, an unlimited Wifi in singapore, Malaysia, Maldives, China e.t.c is just like NGN8 to NGN15K per month, including TV programs. U will watch, download Movies on Youtubes, educational search-thesis,journals, lecture, throughout the month. Connect as many gadgets/smartphones, make internet calls.
These our leaders are wicked, they do travel to these countries and see how things are done but they do otherwise in Nigeria. cry cry guys are afraid to come back to Naija but no place like home they said, missing my mum's égosi, vegetable soup with cow tail and semo.

Dude, just to clarify most countries where you have unlimited WiFi for that kind of price, the internet is delivered to you by wire and then you use a modem in your house for WiFi. Here in Nigeria data is delivered by base station which needs power to run round the clock so you can never expect the same kind of service. If nitel had survived till now maybe we'd have same too.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by sweetgala(m): 3:18pm On Mar 27, 2016
omowolewa:
Its right for you to pay toll, thatz your vehicle. But after paying transport fare, you transporter need not ask for toll fee again.
Its all about the base

That is not a fault of the FG, people have to refuse such advances from the transport company

1 Like

Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Bluffly: 3:19pm On Mar 27, 2016
sweetgala:

All you have done is to defend the AWUF lifestyle of Nigerians , you have to pay your way in life
Its not AWUF lifestyle. Everything needs to be systematic. Why are they not paying heavy task in Spain like UK. Why is USA immigration system not like UK. Why is Education 100% free in Sweden and not same in USA. Its relative.
I can bodly tell you that 70% of VAT collected by service providers and sales merchants is not been remitted to the FG and same will bedevil currently introduced taxes all because there is no system in place. Rather for them to start from A to Z they are straying from T.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by damocool(m): 3:21pm On Mar 27, 2016
ibedun:

Haba bros, you don't have to abuse anyone as regards this post now, I'm very sure that not only our brothers from the East kicked against this proposal..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Governor Obaseki Wins Certificate Forgery Case / Buhari Lied, Jonathan Generated The Funds Used For Bail Out.- NLNG MD Insists / Sallah: President Buhari Arrives Daura, Katsina (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.