Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,874 members, 7,817,574 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

Nutritiinal Benefits Of Zobo Drink (hibiscus Sepal). - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nutritiinal Benefits Of Zobo Drink (hibiscus Sepal). (6129 Views)

Zobo Drink Is Effective In Managing Hypertension - Dr Ochuko Erukainure / Why Pregnant Women Should Not Drink Zobo / Health Benefits And Side Effects Of Zobo Drink (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nutritiinal Benefits Of Zobo Drink (hibiscus Sepal). by christinie(f): 6:02am On Mar 30, 2016
Zobo drink is made from the dried calyxes (sepal) of the hibiscus plant flower.

Zobo leaves are also called sorrel, flor de Jamaica and rose mallow; although the drink is known by different names all over the world – Zobo, Hibiscus tea, bissap and wonjo, the flavor remains similar everywhere.

Zobo drink does not contain caffeine. It is often recommended as an alternative to artificially made commercial “sport drink”.

Zobo leaves [hibiscus sepal]

Ingredients:

1. 1 cup of dried Hibiscus Sepal ( Zobo leaves) depending on the number of people being prepared for.
2. 4 cups of boiling water,
3. Juice of one lemon
4. Ginger (optional)
5. Sugar in small quantity.

Direction:

1. Briskly wash the leaves to ensure the dust and sand are washed off.

2. Set the leaves in a large bowl, dice some ginger in tiny pieces or grate and pour it in the bowl as well ,cover with bioled water. Set aside for 2-4hour to allow the drink to steep.

3. Pour the drink through a sieve or strainer to separate the fluid from the leaves.
4. Add some ice, lemon juice and sugar to taste. Combine and enjoy !!!!!

Note: the drink can be served hot or cold. The amount of water used is based on preference. Also experiment with food flavours like pineapple, vanilla and berries for some diversity.

Note that the drink stains easily, be mindful when handling it.

Nutritional Benefits :

1. Reduces high blood pressure with its anti-hypertensive properties .

Hibiscus is an antioxidant. It has properties that prevents the oxidation of low-density lipoprotein; a substance in the blood that if increased beyond normal quantities may cause high blood pressure.

2. Hibiscus contains a substance that can inhibit the production of amylase.

The amylase enzyme breaks down and aids in absorption of complex sugar and starch molecules in food, thereby leading weight gain.

Regular intake of hibiscus tea can prevent too much absorption of carbohydrate and consequently no weight gain.

3. It aids in excretion of excess fluids from the body.

4. It can quench thirst effectively to avoid further temptation of intake of carbonated or other types of drinks.

5. It contains about 6.7 mg of ascorbic acid a form of vitamin C and also contains anti-inflammatory and mild antibacterial properties, all of which can serve as supplement to treat cough and cold.

6. It reduces the discomfort of fevers that may accompany cold and cough.

7. It can serve as food supplement because of the other contents like calcium, iron, phosphorous, protein, fiber, carotene, thiamine, niacin, riboflavin.

8. It boosts the immune system.

Please note that pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid zobo drink. It could cause menstrual flow which could lead to miscarriage.

Also consume within 12 hours.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nutritiinal Benefits Of Zobo Drink (hibiscus Sepal). by onyee25(f): 6:45am On Mar 30, 2016
wow never knew zobo is hibiscus. thanks op for added knowledge

1 Like

Re: Nutritiinal Benefits Of Zobo Drink (hibiscus Sepal). by Kingsasian(m): 7:13am On Mar 30, 2016
onyee25:
I am surprise as well.

1 Like

Re: Nutritiinal Benefits Of Zobo Drink (hibiscus Sepal). by dominique(f): 8:07am On Mar 30, 2016
I've started taking more of the drink ever since I got to know of the benefits.
Re: Nutritiinal Benefits Of Zobo Drink (hibiscus Sepal). by Strawman: 1:08pm On Mar 30, 2016
But christinie that number 2. I'm kinda skinny and I don't want to lose anymore weight, does this mean I should avoid zobo? lipsrsealed
Re: Nutritiinal Benefits Of Zobo Drink (hibiscus Sepal). by christinie(f): 3:30pm On Mar 30, 2016
Lol take zobo but don't forget to take your milk daily as well.

Strawman:
But christinie that number 2. I'm kinda skinny and I don't want to lose anymore weight, does this mean I should avoid zobo? lipsrsealed
Re: Nutritiinal Benefits Of Zobo Drink (hibiscus Sepal). by christinie(f): 3:58pm On Mar 30, 2016
Uwc.

onyee25:
Re: Nutritiinal Benefits Of Zobo Drink (hibiscus Sepal). by christinie(f): 3:58pm On Mar 30, 2016
Yeah, quite beneficial.

dominique:
I've started taking more of the drink ever since I got to know of the benefits.
Re: Nutritiinal Benefits Of Zobo Drink (hibiscus Sepal). by babywizard: 6:02pm On Aug 05, 2018
I use to drink it any how.. But now I will drink with understanding.. Wow.. I have learned a new thins

(1) (Reply)

Soak Ginger,turmeric,garlic And Cloves To Get These Health Benefits / Diet For Breastfeeding Mothers / Madagascar Delivered Plane Loads Of Covid-19 Medicine To 15 African Countries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.