Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,862 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:12 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1174) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11591543 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1171) (1172) (1173) (1174) (1175) (1176) (1177) ... (16121) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:44pm On Jun 26, 2017
Vitesse Leak Information That Chelsea's Nigerian Goal Poacher Will Join Swansea City

Dutch Eredivisie side Vitesse Arnhem have thrown in the towel in their pursuit of England U21 international of Nigerian heritage Tammy Abraham.

Abraham, 19, was one of the candidates to replace Van Wolfswinkel at Vitesse next season but manager Henk Fraser has revealed that the striker has agreed terms to join Premier League side Swansea City.

''We were hoping to sign Tammy Abraham on loan, but he will go to Swansea. That's disappointing for us,'' said Henk Fraser.

It is believed that Newcastle United and Brighton & Hove made contact with Chelsea before Abraham accepted to move to the Swans on a season-long loan.

He scored 26 goals in all competitions while on loan at Bristol City during the 2016-17 season.

**Igho Kingsley
Photo Credit : bcfc.co.uk

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23544

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:50pm On Jun 26, 2017
Super Eagles Star Mikel Returns To Porto For Pre-Season Training Next Week

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that Mikel Agu will return to Portugal on July 4 ahead of the resumption of pre-season training at Primeira Liga side Porto.

The midfielder is is honeymooning in Nigeria following his wedding to longtime girlfriend Henrietta about a week ago in Asaba.

Mikel will fancy his first-team chances at Porto in the forthcoming season, having signed a fresh four-year contract in April, a reward for his excellent performances while on loan at Vitória Setúbal.

But he must impress the recently appointed manager of the Dragons, Sérgio Conceição, who will make a final decision on where he will end up in in the new season.

Porto will face Cruz Azul (July 17), Chivas (July 19) and Vitória de Guimarães (July 23), Portimonense (July 27) and Deportivo La Coruña (July 30) in pre-season.

**Igho Kingsley
Photo Credit : hsmporto.pt

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23540

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 1:52pm On Jun 26, 2017
I also see we speak a lot about people playing in supposed 'backwater' leagues. Truth is some of these guys never had much choice since all they wanna do is play football. Let us look at it this way.
Employment wise, some people work in oil companies while others work in indigenous firms. Some graduated and never got a job in choice companies. It is all about opportunities. If it was all about merit, some people arent supposed to be in some positions.
What am I sayin here? Footballers wanna play and make a living. It is sometimes not up to you , who is gonna like your game. It is all about who saw you and liked what he saw. Thank God for social media now. We get to learn each day how to market players. Playing in a back water league is not a bad thing as long as such a player is an asset or recognized as a talent... so all these talks about playing in austria, or 2nd division wherever dont fly. We have to decide what we need in our teams. For instance, I wonder how someone like sterling got to be bought for 50 mil and I wonder whats so sterling i his performances. So such is life. Life can be unfair.....
As it is in the bible, it says " I have seen another error on earth. Servants riding on horses while princes walk on foot. "
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:53pm On Jun 26, 2017
Usman Mohammed Is Still In Spain Awaiting Feedback From Barcelona After Trials

Dream Team VI star Usman Mohammed has decided to remain in Spain as he is hoping to bag a contract with La Liga powerhouse Barcelona following the conclusion of his trials.

Apart from impressing during his audition, representatives of the central midfielder have close links with the Azulgranas.

Haruna Babangida, the younger brother of former Nigeria international Tijani Babangida who advises Usman, was a former teammate of current Barcelona B coach Gerard López.

''Usman Mohammed was on trials at Barcelona B but he stopped training just before the start of the playoffs,'' a Barcelona insider told allnigeriasoccer.com .

''He did well during the trials, and is hoping to sign. He is still in Spain with Tijani Babangida's brother.''

The 23-year-old lists Ranchers Bees, Taraba United and União Madeira among his former clubs.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23543

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:57pm On Jun 26, 2017
Super Eagles Star Explains Why He Could Not Help Barcelona B Secure Promotion

Nigeria international Ezekiel Bassey has explained why he could not feature for the B team of Barcelona in the recently concluded season.

Barcelona B secured promotion to the Segunda división B group II for the sixth time in their history following their victory over Racing de Santander in the play-off final on Sunday, and the Enyimba loanee did not make a single appearance for Gerard López's side over the course of the season.

Speculations were rife in the local and foreign media that Bassey could not dress for Barca B because he was not granted a work permit, but he quickly dismissed those thoughts when questioned.

''I could not play earlier in the season because my work permit was delayed, I was granted a work permit only last month,'' said Ezekiel Bassey to allnigeriasoccer.com .

''Along the line, I got injured. It was a shoulder injury but I am okay now.''

Barcelona can activate their two-year option to extend Ezekiel Bassey's stay in Catalonia as from July 1, and the striker is in the dark whether or not they will buy him outright from Enyimba.

''The season just ended on Sunday. The club have to meet to decide if they will keep me or not, I still have a contract with them until June 30,'' concluded Bassey.

The 20-year-old Ezekiel Bassey departed Spain for Germany on Monday morning, he is expected to arrive in Nigeria later this week.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23542
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:05pm On Jun 26, 2017
maidaboi:
gbam
i think we need one creative player in the middle, we need the other two to be able to recorver possesion because iwobi will not perform well if we don't see much of the ball
onazi etebo mikel OR
indidi ogu mikel
will do for me
i don't want indidi and onazi to play together one of them have to sit on the bench
hmmm....how well can Ogu recover balls...?
is he good in tackling?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 6:13pm On Jun 26, 2017
Humility017:
hmmm....how well can Ogu recover balls...? is he good in tackling?
he don't always lose the ball carelessly
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:34pm On Jun 26, 2017
Icon4s:
Please has anyone seen tbaba1234 anywhere on nairaland lately?

I am hale and hearty sir, thanks for checking..

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 6:36pm On Jun 26, 2017
enomakos:
he was right,it is not the business of the sports minister

you sef? Hahahahahahahahs,
na wa ooo, Una wan kill PINNICK,

hhahahahaha,

den I don't think you know the working of our dear NFF
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:50pm On Jun 26, 2017
Folks, instead of all these unnecessary back and forth about who should've played where and all what not, why can't we spend out time and talent discussing more important stuffs? You know, when you lose, the player who didn't play is always the best player ... the player who didn't play is always the one who would've made a difference. But take it from me, our problem is the game against South Africa was much more than the talent levels of the players deployed. Man to man, out players were better than SA but we just didn't play well as a team. That's the bottom line. That's what I would expect all the "experts" here to be discussing instead of focusing on one or two players. And I will give you a few examples of how poorly we played:

Today's game is all about movement - movement off the ball. And in our game against SA, there was totally no movement in our game. For instance, I expected more penetration in the midfield where Onazi, Ndidi, and Etebo were playing but they were all very static on that day.

Why did South Africa won, practically, all the 50-50 balls? And why didn't the team do anything to raise the tempo of the game, as most Nigerian teams do, after we conceded the first goal? Why did we stick with the same high/long range passes that weren't finding their targets? Why was there no creativity in our game? Who's the player maker in this team? Is it Etebo or Iwobi??

And by the way, did anybody realized that our game tend to collapse once we concede a goal ... even if we're winning? Go back and re-watch the two games against Algeria and Zambia. The team became jittery and started making mistakes once Zambia pulled one goal back. They almost gave me a heart attack. And playing at home against Algeria, the same thing happened! Did anybody else noticed the same thing or is it me?

Oya, I wanna hear the opinions of our local NL experts:

icon4s, TheSuperNerd, forgiveness, Safarigirl, tbaba, Mickael2, do4luv14, Humility, et al.

O pari

Humility017:

hmmm....how well can Ogu recover balls...?
is he good in tackling?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:53pm On Jun 26, 2017
Official : One Time Golden Boy Of Nigerian Football Rabiu Ibrahim Joins Slovan Bratislava

Rabiu Ibrahim has left Belgium side Gent for Slovakian outfit Slovan Bratislava after one season at Gent, where injuries limited his appearance for the team.

26 year old Rabiu Ibrahim was told he was surplus to requirements at Gent following the acquisition of Damien Marcq, and the once upon a time top prospect will be hoping he gets a better season in Slovakia.

Last season he made just 8 appearances for Gent in all competitions failing to justify the club decision to sign him from Slovakian side AS Trencin, where he spent two seasons and made over 50 appearances in all competitions.

Rated as one of the brightest prospects in Nigeria football when he burst onto the scene in 2007, his career has failed to reached the expected height after failed stint at Sporting Lisbon, PSV, Celtic and Kilmarnock.

However he still has five caps for the senior national team of Nigeria with the last of his caps coming in the World Cup 2018 preliminary game against Swaziland in 2015.

**Daniel Martins

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/26/official-one-time-golden-boy-of-nigerian-football-rabiu-ibrahim-joins-slovan-bratislava/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:56pm On Jun 26, 2017
Ex Enugu Rangers Star Obinna Nwobodo Turning Heads At Ujpest

Former Enugu Rangers golden boy Obinna Nwobodo has settled down nicely at his new environment at Hungarian side Ujpest, Owngoalnigeria.com can confirm.

Nwobodo completed his move to Ujpest last month, in a deal brokered by Pro/F Sports Nigeria and exclusively reported by Owngoalnigeria.com, he has also settled for a shirt number.

Known for his mesmerising skills, inch perfect passes and goal scoring, he will be wearing shirt number 28 at Ujpest, where he is expected to be one of the stars of the team next season.

The 21 year old is with the team in their pre season camp in Austria, where he has been distinguishing himself in training and other drills by the coaches of the modest Hungarian side.

**Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/26/ex-enugu-rangers-star-obinna-nwobodo-turning-heads-at-ujpest/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:59pm On Jun 26, 2017
Nantes Bound Chidozie Awaziem Summoned By FC Porto , Set To Arrive On Thursday

FC Porto have summoned recently capped Nigeria international defender Chidozie Awaziem to Portugal despite his impending departure to Nantes of France.

Awaziem will join the french side on a season long loan deal, but Porto are insisting on him resuming with them in Portugal before he leaves for the French side next month.

” He (Awaziem) will leave Nigeria on Thursday for Portugal, Porto want him around for a while before his move to Nantes. There are still some paper works to be done regarding the move as well”, his intermediary Babawo Mohammed told Owngoalnigeria.com.

Porto were forced to released the defender as part of the deal that helped them capture Nantes coach Sergio Conceiao, but they failed to yield in to the request of the team who wanted an option to buy him at the end of his loan spell.

He signed a five year deal with FC Porto when he made his breakthrough at the club two seasons ago,and his deal currently has a buy out clause of €20m, which Porto are not willing to reduce despite interest from teams.

**Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/26/nantes-bound-chidozie-awaziem-summoned-by-fc-porto-set-to-arrive-on-thursday/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:02pm On Jun 26, 2017
Hull City Urged To Make Move For Leicester City Star Ahmed Musa

EFL Championship outfit Hull City have been urged to make a move for Nigeria star Ahmed Musa.

Hull Daily Mail has suggested five players that can beef up the Tigers in the forthcoming season, with the Leicester City striker on its shortlist.

Newly appointed Hull City coach Leonid Slutsky has an excellent relationship with Musa, and the former CSKA Moscow manager was at Stamford Bridge in January to watch him in action against Chelsea.

The 24-year-old striker spent four and a half years with the Muscovites, netting 54 goals in 164 appearances.

Hull City have embarked on cost control measures following their demotion to the second tier, and it is envisaged that a loan move is their preferred option if they eventually bring Musa to the KCOM Stadium.

**Igho Kingsley

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23546

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:07pm On Jun 26, 2017
Ade Emmanuel again....... undecided

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing Special – Super Eagles & Rohr’s Video Analyst Dissects Cameroon

The video analyst of the senior national team of Nigeria Nabil Trabelsi has completed his mission in Russia at the Confederations Cup where he spied on Cameroon, Nigeria’s next opponent in the World Cup 2018 Qualifiers.

Nabil was appointed by coach Gernot Rohr as one of his assistant but specifically to study opponents using videos of past games of the opponents of the Super Eagles of Nigeria.

Already he has sent some of the clips to top chieftains of the
Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and the team’s Technical Adviser Gernot Rohr, who left the spying job for Nabil to handle.

Cameroon played three games at the Confederations Cup failing to win any of their three games as they crash out in the group stage with losses against Chile and Germany leaving them with just one point, picked up from the 1-1 draw against Australia.

The Indomitable Lions struggled to score goals at the tournament with coach Hugo Broos confessing that his side need to solve their goal scoring issues before facing Nigeria in back to back game in September in the World Cup 2018 Qualifiers .

**Ade Emmanuel

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/26/nothing-special-super-eagles-rohrs-video-analyst-dissects-cameroon/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:10pm On Jun 26, 2017
Anderlecht Leak Information That Onyekuru Will Join West Ham For £8m

Belgium club Anderlecht have sensationally leaked out information suggesting hot in demand KAS Eupen Nigerian forward Henry Onyekuru will join West Ham.

Anderlecht were hoping they will be able to persuade the 20 year old Nigerian to join them using the fact that they are in the Champions League as a bait to lure the forward.

However a top club official told an online Belgium site that the player is out of their reach as he has told them in clear terms about his ambition to join West Ham.

He said the 8 million pounds West Ham are willing to offer as transfer fee is a fee they could match but the desire of the player to move to England, coupled with the amount he stands to earn in wages led to his choice of the London side.

Already he has been granted a UK visa and he will arrive England before the end of this week to hold talks over his wages with West Ham, which will draw him a step closer to his dream of playing for Arsenal.

**Daniel Martins

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/26/anderlecht-leak-information-that-onyekuru-will-join-west-ham-for-8m/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jieta: 7:10pm On Jun 26, 2017
CAMEROON CONFEDERATION FAILURE IS GOODNEWS FOR NIGERIA.

Cameroon have exited the 2017 FIFA
Confederations Cup at the bottom of their group
with just one point from nine, and while the
continent will be disappointed, Nigeria fans
certainly won't be.
The Indomitable Lions present the single biggest
obstacle in Nigeria's quest to reach the 2018
World Cup, and that campaign will be defined by
two qualifying games between the sides in late
August and early September.
As such, many Nigerians were invested in seeing
Cameroon not get an injection of confidence from
a sterling performance in Russia. This was
especially true after the Super Eagles' own
humbling 2-0 loss against South Africa recently.
Dosed up on confidence but depleted by injuries,
coach Gernot Rohr entrusted his Africa Cup of
Nations qualifier hopes to youngsters with little
international experience. That decision backfired
spectacularly as the Eagles were beaten at home
by a team they had never previously lost a
competitive game against.

Rohr, who watched almost all of Cameroon's
games during the Afcon tournament in Gabon
earlier this year, would have seen plenty in Russia
to be both optimistic and wary about regarding
the Indomitable Lions.

GOOD NEWS FOR ROHR

Cameroon's goalscoring issues have not abated.
At the Nations Cup, their top scorer was a
defender.
In Russia, they only managed two goals in three
games. The second could easily have been
awarded as an own-goal to Germany goalkeeper
Andre Ter Stegen, as Vincent Aboubakar's
glancing header appeared to be heading away
from goal before the keeper deflected it back
netwards.

Aboubakar's profligacy might be a factor in the
Indomitable Lions' lack of goals, but it is not an
isolated issue. A general affliction of poor
decision-making in the final third follows the
African champions like a bad smell. Particularly
guilty is standout wide forward Christian
Bassogog, who has burning pace and tricky
touches, but doesn't seem to have the awareness
to match those tools with a final ball.
Cameroon's passing was painfully sloppy for the
duration of their brief stay at the tournament.
Keeping the ball for any length of time appeared
to be something they were not equipped to
handle. It was exactly the same problem as at
the Afcon, where they bunkered down for most
the games and only ventured forward on the
counter.

It presents both good and bad news for the Super
Eagles. Good news: They can keep the ball and
find ways to create goalscoring opportunities.
Bad news: Both goals they conceded against
South Africa came from bad defending against
rapid counter attacks.

BAD NEWS FOR ROHR

Fabrice Ondoa again showed himself to be a
remarkably good goalkeeper. Although Nigeria
under Rohr create chances every game, they have
not quite found a way to convert those to goal
feasts. That was their undoing against Bafana
Bafana, when they failed to take their first half-
chances and were punished late on.
Ondoa's goalkeeping means Rohr may have to
rethink his decision to play Kelechi Iheanacho as
his lead striker and consider options like Odion
Ighalo and Brown Ideye. While they may not be
prolific goalscorers, their strength, hold-up play
and experience for that one-touch finish could
prove vital, especially if they have Iheanacho
roving behind them.

At the back, Cameroon were relatively solid, only
opened up by the discipline, organisation and
experience of both the Chilean and German
frontlines. The Lions' tendency to fly into
challenges will be music to the ears of a returning
Victor Moses and in-form Alex Iwobi, though Rohr
will have to drill the art of patience into his
forwards.

Despite their poor decision-making, Cameroon
were generally incisive from the wide areas.
Aboubakar's ability to meet crosses has never
been in doubt. He may misdirect 100 of those,
but it only takes one.
With Leon Balogun back, it is unlikely those
crosses will do as much damage, but it is
something Rohr has to prep for in the event the
Mainz defender is unavailable again.

KEY SOLUTIONS

Overall, not much changed for Cameroon from
what Rohr observed in Gabon, and the solutions
to his problems remain the same: Get his
experienced players fit and ready.
1. First-choice goalkeeper Carl Ikeme back to
take charge of the penalty area.

2. Defender Leon Balogun back from injury to deal
with the physical Cameroon forwards, both in the
air and on the ground. Missing that, start the
experienced Kenneth Omeruo rather than rookie
Chidozie Awaziem.

3. Restore captain John Mikel Obi (who should
hopefully be fit and available for the fixtures).
4. Solve the left-back issues to deal with
Bassogog's pace and invention and, if need be,
use one holding midfielder.

5. Unleash Victor Moses up-front. http://kwese.espn.com/football/club/nigeria/657/blog/post/3148699/cameroons-confederations-cup-failure-is-good-news-for-nigeria

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:17pm On Jun 26, 2017
Cameroon's Confederations Cup campaign doesn't bode well for Russia return
By Ed Dove, KweséESPN

When Cameroon celebrated their Africa Cup of Nations success with a triumphant return to Yaounde in February, there was the growing sense that the fallen giants had returned to the pinnacle of the continent.

However, less than four months on, and following their underwhelming display at the Confederations Cup, Hugo Broos's side have come crashing back down to earth with a thump.

The Central Africans now have to pick themselves up to resume their World Cup qualifying campaign, where the prospect of missing out on a third tournament since the 1970s is staring them in the face.

Africa's champions don't have a good track record of reaching the globe's grandest stage, at least not in recent years.
Of the eight continental champions since Cameroon last won the title in 2002, only Tunisia and Nigeria have qualified for the first World Cup after winning the Afcon.

Despite winning the title on three occasions since the turn of the century, Egypt haven't reached the Mundial since 1990, while Zambia failed to follow up their triumph in 2012 with a spot at the 2014 event.

Ivory Coast, winners in 2015, are on course to reach Russia despite their recent downturn in form, but Cameroon have their work cut out to make their eighth tournament.

Admittedly, the Indomitable Lions are yet to lose during their qualifying campaign -- a decent return after being drawn in the 'Group of Death' -- and they sit second, behind Nigeria and ahead of Zambia and Algeria.

There are certainly positives to be taken; taking a point from
Algeria in October -- arguably the toughest fixture in the pool -- was a fine result from the team who later became continental champions. Similarly, the subsequent implosion of the Fennecs -- they fell at the first hurdle of the Afcon despite being among the tournament favourites -- leaves them with much work to do in their upcoming double-header with Zambia later this year if they're to remain in the hunt for a third consecutive World Cup appearance.

Also, while Nigeria's resurgence under Gernot Rohr had been a cause for concern for Cameroon, the Super Eagles' progress came to a screeching halt when they were handed a shock Nations Cup qualifying defeat by South Africa earlier this month.

It was a defeat so devastating that it has the potential to undermine much of the good work the German coach has achieved during his tenure, and Cameroon will hope that -- when they face Nigeria in August -- they can capitalise on the West Africans' recent wobble.

However, assessing Cameroon's showing during the Confederations Cup, there wasn't too much to suggest that they can ride the rocky road back to Russia for next summer's showpiece.

Fabrice Ondoa, as noted by KweséESPN's Colin Udoh, further established his reputation as one of Africa's most talented young stoppers, while Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa demonstrated that he can be a valuable asset to this squad.
Apart from that, however, there weren't too many positives to take from their one-point showing.

The defence that had appeared resilient, rugged and organised at the Nations Cup -- albeit with a jitter or two when faced with Egypt's Mohamed Salah in the final -- was shredded by Chile and failed to contain Germany, admittedly two top sides.

Ernest Mabouka -- introduced into the backline as a replacement for Ambroise Oyongo -- gave away a penalty vs. Australia and was sent off against Germany, and Broos's decision to avoid giving some of the less experienced members of his squad a run-out betrays a lack of confidence in their abilities.

In midfield, Sebastien Siani too often looked pedestrian, while Vincent Aboubakar's profligacy against Australia almost masked the failings of his colleagues, with Benjamin Moukandjo jaded and Christian Bassogog often allowing attacking moves to break down at his feet.

If Cameroon are to overhaul Nigeria and displace the Eagles in top spot in Group B, they surely needed to demonstrate at the Confederations Cup that they were building on their Nations Cup success and were ready to consolidate their progress.

Instead, their showings in Russia only served to suggest that the Afcon was a false dawn for the Indomitable Lions. Don't expect to see them back next year.

Source: http://kwese.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/19742117/cameroon-confederations-cup-campaign-bode-well-russia-return
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:25pm On Jun 26, 2017
More on #OpponentsWatch......

Cameroon: FIFA Confederations Cup Player Ratings
By Ed Dove, KweséESPN

Cameroon's FIFA Confederations Cup campaign is over after three matches, with Africa's champions playing to form and falling at the first hurdle, with Germany and Chile advancing from Group C.

The Indomitable Lions exit with one point, having scored two goals and conceding six during an underwhelming trio of fixtures, and Hugo Broos' squad failing to summon the spirit that served them so well during the Africa Cup of Nations in Gabon.

Here then, is how the Cameroon squad rated in Russia ...

Fabrice Ondoa, 8: Cameroon's star man during the tournament, Ondoa may have conceded six, but he saved the African champions on various occasions with some jaw-dropping saves. The stopper's age (21) and lack of experience at club level (he played only two games for Sevilla B this past season) make his heroics between the sticks even more impressive as he delivered a series of bold and brave displays that bode well for the future.

Ernest Mabouka, 5.5: Dropped from the Afcon team after the first match, the pre-tournament injury to Ambroise Oyongo saw Mabouka promoted to the first team despite only having one competitive cap to his name. In terms of positives, the 29-year-old's crossing was regularly effective and menacing. But at the back Mabouka too often appeared out of his depth. He conceded the decisive penalty against Australia after a maddening lunge, and was sent off against Germany - albeit harshly - following a dangerous tackle on Emre Can.

Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa, 7: Perhaps Cameroon's success story of the Confed Cup, Zambo Anguissa rejected the Afcon call earlier this year, but has been successfully reintegrated into the side by Broos. He scored a fine goal against Australia - with credit to Vincent Aboubakar and Michael Ngadeu-Ngadjui - and could have had a second when he forced a fine save from Marc-Andre ter Stegen in the final match. A good new asset for the Indomitable Lions.

Adolphe Teikeu, 6: Was exposed during the Afcon final when he was bewildered by Egypt's Mohamed Salah before being withdrawn through injury, and it was a similar story here. Teikeu regularly looked off the pace, uncertain, and his marking was dismal in the final group game against Germany.

Michael Ngadeu-Ngadjui, 6.5: As part of an underwhelming defensive line, his quality appeared to drop off significantly from the Afcon, when he was one of Cameroon's key/star players. He had appeared to be one of the finds - along with Bassogog - of Broos' tenure, but that assessment may demand reconsideration now.

Moumi Ngamaleu, N/A: Handed a competitive debut as a late substitute against Germany (not enough time to get a rating), having been handed his maiden call-up by Broos last month.

Benjamin Moukandjo, 6.5: The skipper appeared tired after a testing season with FC Lorient, who were relegated from Ligue 1. He failed to recreate his Afcon heroics and was substituted - jaded - against both Australia and Germany.

Vincent Aboubakar, 6.5: The Afcon hero found the net in the final game against Germany, but his tournament will be remembered for a profligate display against Australia, when his form deserted him and he spurned a series of big chances. Things could have been different for the Lions if he'd found the net, and it remains to be seen whether his failure in front of goal will dissuade potential suitors from moving for him this summer.

Jerome Guihoata, N/A: Hadn't been seen since June 2015, but was surprisingly recalled to the squad by Broos and was handed a too brief runout against Germany.

Christian Bassogog, 6.5: The Afcon MVP demonstrated his class on occasions at the Confederations Cup, threatening defenders with his speed and sublime dribbling. Bailey Wright of Australia was given a particularly tough time by the Henan Jianye man's pace, but too often he let himself down with poor decision-making and hesitation in the final third.

Georges Mandjeck, N/A: Featured in all but one of the six Afcon fixtures, but has fallen from grace and only made one substitute appearance here.

Sebastien Siani, 6: Enjoyed a tussle with Charles Aranguiz in Cameroon's opener, but largely came off second best. He offered tenacity, but was occasionally too pedestrian and failed to protect his defence effectively - particularly in the opener.
Avoided a red card against Germany following a case of mistaken identity, but didn't stamp his authority on the competition as he did in Gabon.

Arnaud Djoum, 6.5: Continues to demonstrate that he's a good addition to the squad and keeps things ticking over, but was worryingly overrun during the Chile match as part of a wholly ineffective midfield.

Collins Fai, 6: Despite playing on the left on occasion at club level, it's worth noting that Fai was shunted across from his favoured right-flank position following a pre-tournament injury to Oyongo. Nonetheless, it can't be ignored that Cameroon were consistently troubled in wide areas against both Chile and Germany, with the Central Africans' full-backs usually failing to identify and contain threats in these areas.

Karl Toko Ekambi, 5.5: The Angers attacker was given two runs - against Australia and Germany - but he failed to make an impact. The 24-year-old has now gone nine international outings without a goal, and he's likely to face competition for his spot in the coming months.

Did not play: Jacques Zoua, Olivier Boumal, Andre Onana, Robert Ndip Tambe, Lucien Owona, Jonathan Ngwem, Georges Bokwe

Source: http://kwese.espn.com/football/fifa-confederations-cup/story/3148718/cameroon-fifa-confederations-cup-player-ratings
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:38pm On Jun 26, 2017
Are Liverpool Holding Back The Career Of Nigerian Striker Taiwo Awoniyi?
By Jack Lusby Follow @uMAXitFootball

When Taiwo Awoniyi made the move to Liverpool in 2015, he arrived as something of a rare commodity: then 18, the striker’s signing came out of the blue, with few supporters aware of his abilities.

The Reds paid Nigeria’s Imperial Soccer Academy £400,000 to secure his services, as well as compensating Swedish Allsvenskan club Kalmar FF to nullify their pre-contract agreement with the youngster, ensuring he followed Joe Gomez, James Milner, Danny Ings, Adam Bogdan, Roberto Firmino, Nathaniel Clyne and Christian Benteke through the Shankly Gates to round off a busy summer transfer window for Brendan Rodgers. But two years and two loan spells later, and Awoniyi is yet to even step foot on Liverpool’s training field at Melwood—let alone turn out for his parent club—with work-permit issues threatening to damage the career of a bright young talent.

After arriving at what he described as “the biggest club in the world” ahead of the 2015/16 campaign, Awoniyi was sent on loan to 2. Bundesliga side FSV Frankfurt, joining Tomas Oral’s squad as they looked to improve on a 13th-placed finish in the previous season.

“I’ll try to develop myself very well so that when I come back to Liverpool I’ll be able to add value to the team,” Awoniyi said on joining FSV, but, unfortunately, his time in Frankfurt proved to be a wasted venture. The fifth striker in the senior squad at the Stadion am Bornheimer Hang, he found himself behind Zlatko Dedic, Dani Shahin and Edmond Kapllani in the pecking order up front, and made just 14 appearances in all competitions, averaging 66 minutes on the pitch per game and scoring once.
A managerial change midway through the season certainly didn’t improve his prospects, with Oral departing and Falko Gotz taking his place, but it can be argued that an inexperienced teenage forward was far from the candidate needed to help push FSV up the table.

Awoniyi ultimately experienced relegation in his first campaign in Europe, with FSV dropping down to 3. Liga as his loan ended in disappointment—crucially, failing to accrue the requisite game time to qualify for a work permit to turn out in the Premier League. This left Liverpool seeking another loan move for the youngster, and while he was courted by Hadjuk Split, Tondela and a host of clubs in Germany, the club opted to send Awoniyi to NEC Nijmegen, managed by Jurgen Klopp’s former U19s coach at Borussia Dortmund, Peter Hyballa.
In the Eredivisie hopefuls, it seemed Awoniyi had joined the ideal club to nurture his potential, with Klopp hoping to call upon him in the future.

Unfortunately, history repeated itself for Awoniyi who, despite operating under a manager attuned to youth development and at a club who had finished 10th in the Dutch top flight the previous campaign, floundered in Nijmegen. Last season, the striker made 22 appearances for NEC, averaging 52 minutes per game and scoring three goals, with his side suffering relegation after a 5-1 play-off loss to Eerste Divisie side NAC Breda.
Hyballa was dismissed shortly before the end of the season, with Awoniyi’s most productive run coming under his replacement, Ron de Groot, scoring all three of his goals in May, including in consecutive victories against AZ Alkmaar and SC Heerenveen on the final two league games of the season. This wasn’t enough to save NEC, however; it wasn’t enough to prove Awoniyi’s pedigree. It certainly wasn’t enough to warrant a work permit.

This brings Awoniyi to another summer in limbo, with Kalmar and Sint-Truiden among the clubs interested in taking him on loan for 2017/18. Joining the latter, in the Belgian First Division A, would make logical sense in terms of his progression as a young player, though moving to Kalmar—two years after initially agreeing to do so—may provide Awoniyi with a more trusting environment to peddle his wares.

Interest in the soon-to-be 20-year-old is certainly understandable: he’s a tall, broad-shouldered centre-forward capable of both leading the line on his own and thriving as an off-the-shoulder poacher. Prior to moving to Liverpool, Awoniyi was the toast of Nigerian football, rising through his nation’s youth ranks alongside the likes of Wilfred Ndidi, Kelechi Iheanacho and Isaac Success and scoring twice and assisting twice in four games at the U20 World Cup in New Zealand in 2015.

That he stood out among fellow tournament goalscorers such as Adama Traore, Julian Brandt, Andrija Zivkovic and Angel Correa serves to underline his status as a hugely promising teenager—but that he was not part of the Nigeria squad for May’s U20 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying clash with Burundi highlights just how far he has fallen since.

He was also included in Samson Siasia’s provisional 35-man squad for the Olympics in Brazil last year, but was cut from the final roster.

Quite why Liverpool moved to sign Awoniyi in 2015, in the knowledge that he would likely fail to qualify for a work permit, remains something of a mystery. Set to join yet another side on loan this summer, it would be accurate to suggest that being on the books at Liverpool is holding Awoniyi back; he could, after all, have taken a more forgiving route with Kalmar, before making the step up to a more established European side.

Frustratingly, with Klopp continuing to bolster his attacking ranks this summer, it would be a surprise to see him ever play for the club he nominally calls home.

Source: http://www.umaxit.com/index.php/columns/are-liverpool-holding-back-the-career-of-nigerian-striker-taiwo-awoniyi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:48pm On Jun 26, 2017
West Ham Submit Improved Bid For Iheanacho As Leicester Boss Identifies Him As Prime Target

The race for the signature of Manchester City Nigerian forward Kelechi Iheanacho is hotting up as West Ham have improved their offer for the 20 year old who is also a target of Leicester City.

According to Skysports West Ham have improved their initial offer for the striker and it is reportedly close to what Manchester City are demanding aside the issue of the buy back clause.

Manchester City are yet to respond to West Ham offer with manager Pep Guardiola not keen on letting the forward leave unless a replacement is bought as exclusively reported by this portal.

However Leicester City manager Craig Shakespeare has according to various reports pencilled Iheanacho as his top target in the summer transfer window as the former champions aim to bounce back from the disappointment of last season.

It appears both teams are going to be the front runners for his signature despite the reported interest of Crystal Palace who are also set to be mulling over a bid for the 20 year old.

**Daniel Martins

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/26/west-ham-submit-improved-bid-for-iheanacho-as-leicester-boss-identifies-him-as-prime-target/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:51pm On Jun 26, 2017
Kayode Dedicates New Mansion In VGC Lagos

Austrain Wein striker Olanrewaju Kayode has dedicated his recently built massive 6-bedroom mansion in Victoria Garden City, Lagos, Completesportsnigeria.com reports

He joins Hapoel Beer Sheva midfielder John Ogu and Slyvester Igbonu who also dedicated their homes during the off season.
He wrote beneath the picture of his new house which he posted on Instagram:"God made it possible…am so humbled…Thank you Jesus…Still my year of joy unspeakable."

Kayode who could move away from his current club this summer finished the 2016-17 season as Austrian Tipigo Bundesliga top scorer with 17 goals in 33 league games for the Violets, 24 goals in all competitions.

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/kayode-dedicates-new-mansion-vgc-lagos/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:54pm On Jun 26, 2017
Gero Scores For Swedish Club Oestersunds In Friendly Win
By James Agberebi

Former Flying Eagles forward, Alhaji Gero, was on target for his Swedish topflight club Oestersunds FK who thrashed another first division side Hammarby 3-0 in a pre-season game on Monday, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Gero, 23, scored in the 66th minute to make it 3-0 in favour of Oestersunds FK.

Ludvig Fritzson put Oestersunds 1-0 in the 53rd minute before Saman Ghoddos doubled their lead on 64 minute.

Oestersunds will take on another Swedish top side, GIF Sunday all, in another pre-season game on Tuesday.

The Swedish topflight which is currently on break will resume on Saturday, July 1st, 2017, with Oestersunds taking on AIK away on Sunday, July 2nd.

Oestersunds are currently third on 21 points in the 16-team league table.

Gero, who has played for ElKanemi Warriors, Lobi Stars and Rangers in the Nigeria league, has made 10 appearances for Oestersunds this season scoring two goals.

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/gero-scores-swedish-club-oestersunds-friendly-win/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:40pm On Jun 26, 2017
England Yet To Give Go-Ahead For Chelsea's Ola Aina To Switch To Nigeria, Has No Nigerian Passport

The Nigeria Football Association are still awaiting feedback from the English Football Association regarding Chelsea defender Ola Aina's change of nationality to Nigeria, two months before crucial World Cup qualifiers against Cameroon.

Born in London, Aina previously represented England at U16, U17, U18, U19 and U20 levels, but is hoping to feature for the Super Eagles and has applied to Fifa for a change of association since he has not played competitively for the Three Lions.

Aina is not yet in possession of a Nigerian passport contrary to
widespread reports, but the Nigerian Federation have concrete assurances from the Nigeria Immigration Service that the wing-back can obtain the passport within twenty four hours.

''Aina's request to transfer his international eligibility is in the final stage, the Nigeria Football Federation have written to the English FA, they need to hear from them first before taking the next step,'' a Nigeria Football Federation insider told allnigeriasoccer.com.

''The NFF made contact with the English FA after the season ended. He does not have a Nigerian passport yet, but that can be settled within twenty four hours after we get a response from the English FA.

''We are optimistic that Fifa will approve Aina's one-time switch to Nigeria before the World Cup qualifiers against Cameroon.''

Aina, a former England U19 captain, has not featured for England at any level since March 27, 2016 when he lasted 58 minutes on the pitch against Canada U20s.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel
Photo Credit : chelseafc.com

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23549
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by RichardKajola(m): 9:16pm On Jun 26, 2017
Lazyerudite:

Did you just type that positioning has to do with luck? I don die
Let's just look at the goal he scored against man utd, will you say he was expecting the ball to come to him?
Now am not saying positioning is 100% luck (now get me POSITIONING NOT RUNS) but it has to do with guessing where the ball might go to which can be either right or wrong and what do you call that sir
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jun 26, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
After the Algeria game? shocked

But You read what Leekens said didn't you? Nacho's off the ball movements and high pressing destabilized the Algerians. When TheGoodJoe was pointing it out, people came for his head saying he has come again with cooked-up theories.

But Leekens and an Algerian Football Journo confirmed it. The coach specifically singled out Nacho as one of the reasons Algeria lost. He didn't score that day and had one shot at goal which he blew over after slightly escaping his marker thanks to Musa's fine low cross. But he did have a say on the scoreline. He constantly drew the Algerian defenders out of positions allowing his attacking team mates to exploit those tiny pockets of space.

And on Martins... my focus is not on the "go lost in some matches"... coz everything I typed there is from my head... man I was 12 mehn...

But also from my head... I know Martins suffered goals drought at the Afcon in 2006.

He only scored a brace against Senegal.

My point was based on Martins at the Afcon on the back of his super clinicality in front of goal which was undisputably spectacular.

First game vs Ghana... he fired blanks.

Second game vs Zimbabwe.... he fired blanks again.

Third game vs Senegal..... he scored a beautiful brace on Mikel's first Afcon start for Nigeria. Mikel was the architect of the two goals. Gave an assist and gave the pass before Kanu's assist found Martins.

Fourth game vs Tunisia... Martins again fired blanks

Fifth game vs CIV.... he fired blanks again...

Lemme stop here. What am I trying to say?

Trust/Faith in Martins' undoubted quality was rewarded in that Senegal game. But he still went four games without a goal.

Is that undesirable?? or desirable??

We both know according to your logic... it is not desirable.

So give Nacho a break. He have had just Two competitive games as the CF/No.9/Top striker.....

Besides, he is still the best for that role right now. He can play the SS and AM roles but right now, we have the AM covered with Mikel there and need our best finisher up top... this is where Nacho trumps all others.

Martins of today has big experience... but truth is... he is way past his prime.

Is he needed in the team? Maybe... but not as our top striking option.

I remember when Emenike was injured after the Afcon and Nigeria went to the Confed Cup without him.... it was Martins that was invited to take Emenike's place for the World cup qualifiers against Kenya in Nigeria.

This was weeks after the 2013 Confed cup. You remember that game? Or was it before the Confed cup? I am not sure for now... but I know it was after the Afcon glory and Emenike was injured.

Martins was a shadow of himself... and went lost in that game.

The game ended 1-1... Kenya scored first thru a wonderful freekick before we grabbed a late equaliser.

Keshi found it hard calling back Martins.

Oliseh called up Martins... and Did martins deliver? Nope. Same match saw Nacho's debut as a sub. It was against Swaziland. Martins was also subbed in.

Martins went blank in recent games for Nigeria. And you think he will suddenly come back and rip the Camerounian net to shreds??

Think again Sir Forgiveness.

Iheanacho is ahead of Martins right now... way way ahead.

#Fact... over and out.

who made Iheanacho a striker? The game has evolved with time. That guy need to adapt his game to suite demands of modern football that is if he wants to be a CF else he should be grateful to play from the wings

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 10:13pm On Jun 26, 2017
Icon79:
Folks, instead of all these unnecessary back and forth about who should've played where and all what not, why can't we spend out time and talent discussing more important stuffs? You know, when you lose, the player who didn't play is always the best player ... the player who didn't play is always the one who would've made a difference. But take it from me, our problem is the game against South Africa was much more than the talent levels of the players deployed. Man to man, out players were better than SA but we just didn't play well as a team. That's the bottom line. That's what I would expect all the "experts" here to be discussing instead of focusing on one or two players. And I will give you a few examples of how poorly we played:

Today's game is all about movement - movement off the ball. And in our game against SA, there was totally no movement in our game. For instance, I expected more penetration in the midfield where Onazi, Ndidi, and Etebo were playing but they were all very static on that day.

Why did South Africa won, practically, all the 50-50 balls? And why didn't the team do anything to raise the tempo of the game, as most Nigerian teams do, after we conceded the first goal? Why did we stick with the same high/long range passes that weren't finding their targets? Why was there no creativity in our game? Who's the player maker in this team? Is it Etebo or Iwobi??

And by the way, did anybody realized that our game tend to collapse once we concede a goal ... even if we're winning? Go back and re-watch the two games against Algeria and Zambia. The team became jittery and started making mistakes once Zambia pulled one goal back. They almost gave me a heart attack. And playing at home against Algeria, the same thing happened! Did anybody else noticed the same thing or is it me?

Oya, I wanna hear the opinions of our local NL experts:

icon4s, TheSuperNerd, forgiveness, Safarigirl, tbaba, Mickael2, do4luv14, Humility, et al.

O pari

in the first half we were winning all the 50-50s then their coach adjusted their play and they came out for us in the second half and that was where nd when the limitations of Rohr as a coach was exposed, no plan B and that cost us.

about the second point I think it's normal for a team that just conceded to start making mistakes
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:37pm On Jun 26, 2017
The Evolution of the game Sir... is exactly what has brought a No.10 like Iheanacho with bad-ass finishing prowess into that role as a no.9 at Man City....

....And now he boasts the EPL's Finest Clinical ratio since August 2015 (for the last two seasons) for players with 10+ goals in their EPL since then.

Iheanacho is not like Drogba or a lukaku, neither is he like Costa.... he is not the physical kind of no.9/CF but the sleeky and sneaky kind.

Think about the likes of Van Basten, Inzaghi, Luis Suarez, and even Thomas Muller when looking at Nacho in that no.9 role. He is a keen and consummate attacker of space... he is a Raumdeuter no.9... a space investigator. This is all part of the game's evolution for the no.9 role. It is not always about Hold-up play or playing with back to goal.

His best and most influential roles remain the AM AND SS (and also as a RWF in an actual 4-3-3 formation) but for now he is our best bet Up-top coz of his bad-ass finishing and excellent positioning.

And does he have a lot to work on... ofcos... he ia still growing in the game and doing his best to adapt his game nicely as the occasion calls for it. This lad is a player with the brains of a. o.10 but the feet of a no.9... he is a hybrid... so he is bound to offer something different from the conventional no.9 up-top... and so far he has shown he can do it... he is one of the best young strikers in the world today #fact... and can even get better with a regular run of games outside man city.

Give Nacho a break. We need a player like him to capitalise on Cameroun's subtly slow movements between their central defence pair and weaknesses at the back.

FrancisDiote:

who made Iheanacho a striker? The game has evolved with time. That guy need to adapt his game to suite demands of modern football that is if he wants to be a CF else he should be grateful to play from the wings
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:01pm On Jun 26, 2017
I can’t wait to return to action for Nigeria – Ikeme

Super Eagles and Wolverhampton Wanderers of England shot –stopper, Carl Ikeme, has been missing in action for club and country for sometime now, and one notable miss for him was the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match between the Super Eagles and the Bafana Bafana of South Africa in Uyo couple of weeks ago, which Nigeria lost 0-2.

In an exclusive chat with the official website of Nigeria Football Federation, thenff.com , Ikeme spoke about his fitness and recovery, Nigeria's hopes of qualifying for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations and the 2018 FIFA World Cup, the role he has played in trying to convince young players of Nigerian descent to feature for the Super Eagles and of course, his keen desire to return to action again for Nigeria. Excerpts:

Thenff.com: First and foremost, I want to congratulate you for being named the Nigeria Pitch Awards Goalkeeper of the Year 2016. How does that make you feel?

Yes, it's a nice award. It's nice to be recognised. Hopefully, I can regain fitness and get more games.

Thenff.com: How has your fitness and recovery gone so far?

It's been slow and tough. It was something I was carrying for a long time. I couldn't play or train. It took more than a normal hamstring injury. I have been working hard every day with the physios and hopefully, I'm closer to getting back to training. We start our pre-season on Monday so hopefully, I can start building up in training and hopefully, I can be available for our games and the Nigeria games coming up as well.

Thenff.com: So that means if all goes well, you should be back in training and full fitness in like a week?

Hopefully. Yeah, I think I should be back to full fitness because I have not been able to do too much but I've been strong. I have been training hard with the team in the last three weeks. I'm hoping I should be back to normal training in two weeks.

Thenff.com: A lot of your fans and the Super Eagles have been worried; they feel you have not been in goal when we needed you the most because they appreciate your hard work, dedication and the fact that you have been there when the Eagles needed you. I don't know what your word would be to them?

I'm thankful. It's just disappointing that the injuries are coming at a time when we have the qualifiers. I'm excited though, that I’m returning to fitness and hopefully, I would have an injury-free season.

Thenff.com: You still have a running contract with Wolverhampton Wanderers. Are there any offers from elsewhere or are you still going to be with them?

I just want to get back into training. We have a new manager coming in and hopefully, we can have a successful season.

Thenff.com: Let’s quickly come back home to the Super Eagles. It was a first competitive loss for the team against South Africa in Uyo. I'm sure you followed the game. How did you feel watching the Eagles lose to South Africa?

Yeah, I was watching the game. Like you said, it's our first competitive loss against them. There are still plenty of games to play to qualify for the Cup of Nations, so we are still confident that we will qualify. We have a good team and a good coach as well, so I'm sure we will be okay.

Thenff.com: I'm sure you are looking forward very much to participating in the Africa Cup of Nations for the first time…

Of course! It's a massive competition. We didn't qualify for the last one, so our focus would be on that. It will require hard work and staying together as a group. We are confident that we will still qualify.

Thenff.com: Cameroon featured at the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup in Russia and they happen to be our next opponents in the race to 2018 FIFA World Cup. Did you see any of their games? What are your thoughts with regards to the very big World Cup qualifying matches against the Lions in September?

Yes, they are a top side you know. It's not going to be easy. They have played a lot together recently. They were in the Confederations Cup but we are confident going into the games. Like I said, it's not going to be easy.

The England U-20 squad won the FIFA U20 World Cup in Korea recently. Lots of people are talking about some of the players who are of Nigerian descent. There are also others like Dominic Iorfa and Chuba Akpom. Have you also been talking to any UK -based players of Nigerian descent who are eligible to play for Nigeria?

Yeah, I speak to them. Dominic Iorfa is still young, he is just 21; I'm sure with time, he would still play for Nigeria. He still has some time to make the decision. It is promising that we have a lot of players of Nigerian descent in England and across Europe and I think it's something we can tap into and help make our team stronger.

How have you been enjoying your vacation? Your recovery, family time and relaxation?

It's been quite nice; you have no idea. I have had a week or two off. I've been receiving treatment. I have been coming up in a few days and I have enjoyed it and I'm more concentrated on getting fit and being healthy for the season.

What have you missed the most since your absence?

It's nice to travel. I miss being in Nigeria. I miss the energy that is there, you know and of course, the food. Hopefully, it won't be too long before I experience that again.

Source: http://www.thenff.com/2017/06/7910/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:19pm On Jun 26, 2017
EDAFE EGBEDI INSPIRES LANDSKRONA TO VICTORY
By Samuel Ahmadu

The former Flying Eagles star netted the opener as his Swedish outfit picked maximum points away on Sunday

Nigerian midfielder Edafe Egbedi was on target as Landskrona secured a 3-0 away victory against Karlskrona at the Vastra Marks Stadium.

The former youth international scored the first goal of the match before goals from Rasmus Alm and Karim Sadat sealed maximum points for Agim Sopi's men.

Having failed to score in six consecutive games, Egbedi put the league leaders in front in the 12th minute before Alm made it 2-0 five minutes before the half-time break.

In the second half, Sadat added the third to ensure Landskrona claim their third victory in a row to open a three-point gap on top of the Swedish Division 1 log with 26 points.

The 23-year-old has now scored three goals in 11 starts on his debut season with Landskrona since joining from Prespa in January 2017.

His side will welcomes Oddevold in their next league encounter at the Landskrona Idrottsplats Stadium on Sunday, July 2.

Source: http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/4110/nigerians-abroad/2017/06/26/36644542/edafe-egbedi-inspires-landskrona-to-victory
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:22pm On Jun 26, 2017
KEHINDE FATAI'S BRACE HANDS FC UFA VICTORY
By Samuel Ahmadu

With the new season kicking off in July, the forward scored twice to ensure his Russian topflight outfit silence Yenisey Krasnoyarsk on Sunday

Kehinde Fatai netted twice within five minutes to help FC Ufa secure a 2-0 win over Yenisey Krasnoyarsk in a club friendly on Sunday.

Having only managed six goals in 22 appearances including 15 starts last season, the 27-year-old continued from where his stopped securing Sergel Semak's men a deserving victory.

The former Flying Eagles star scored the crucial goals in the fourth and ninth minutes of the encounter to silence their Russian opponents.

Sergei Semak's men will begin the new Russian topflight campaign against Tosno at the Stadion Aleksandra Nevskogoon on July 15.

Source: http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/4110/nigerians-abroad/2017/06/26/36644702/kehinde-fatais-brace-hands-fc-ufa-victory
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:27pm On Jun 26, 2017
PORTLAND TIMBERS' ADI SETS MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER GOALS RECORD
By Taiye Taiwo

The Nigeria international has done something no-one at the club has ever done

Fanendo Adi has become the first ever Portland Timbers player to score 50 Major League Soccer goals.

The 26-year-old forward was on target as Caleb Porter's men were held to a 2-2 draw by arch rivals Seattle Sounders.

Adi made history in the Providence Park when he found the back of the net from the penalty spot just before the half-time break to put the Timbers on level and become the first ever
Timbers player to score eight goals against Seattle Sounders.

With his goal tonight, @fanendo became the first Timber to score 50 goals for the club. #StatMan Three: ow.ly/5nlL30cSSLc #RCTID 7:20 AM - 26 Jun 2017 · Portland, OR
12 63 Portland Timbers @TimbersFC Follow

Adi who has netted nine goals in 17 league games this season, remains the Timbers all-time topscorer after displacing John Bain’s 35-year goal record of 45 goals in April.

Portland Timbers are placed third in the Western Conference table with 25 points and will play league leaders Sporting Kansas City on July 2.

Source: http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/4110/nigerians-abroad/2017/06/26/36644372/portland-timbers-adi-sets-major-league-soccer-goals-record

(1) (2) (3) ... (1171) (1172) (1173) (1174) (1175) (1176) (1177) ... (16121) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: orriyomi33(m), Alfryd and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 199
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.