Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,122 members, 7,811,156 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:35 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11603423 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (16124) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:48am On Jun 01, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
The Man City Youth coaches said something when Nacho arrived the EDS and began his further development.... wink I am sure you remember.

The words remain with me always...... grin

They said, ".......... By the time we are done with Nacho (Iheanacho), we would make "a messi" outta him". wink

In Nacho, I see traits of many of the greats of the beautiful game from Pele to Eusebio, from Mario Kempes to Zico, from Marco Van Basten to even Romario, from George Weah to Jari Litmanen, from KANU Nwankwo to Samuel Eto'o fils, from C.Ronaldo the goals machine to Lionel Messi the alien himself....
wink wink wink

To be honest, I have super analysed Nacho's style, game, attitude to the sport, and more..... and I tell you confidently that Nacho is a super amalgam of all the names I mentioned above based on one or two traits related to each name and even some more not mentioned..... IHEANACHO HAS TRAITS OF SEVERAL Greats In HIS GAME and Overall attitude added upon his very own unique features.

This is why I strongly assert that in NACHO we have a player who won't go on to be the next Lionel Messi or next CR9 or CR7 (he was CR9 at Real before he became CR7 grin ).... noooooo..... We have an Original like Jay Jay Okocha was an original. KANU, Finidi, Amuneke, Yekini, and other key members of Nigeria's First Golden Generation were Originals. cheesy

"Iheanacho won't go on to be the next 'Anything' (be it next messi, next C.Ronaldo, or next Pele.... nope). He has traits from all of them.... This kid is gonna become the VERY FIRST KELECHI IHEANACHO"....-- SuperNerd's Super Computers/Super Analytics intelligence Advanced Research's final conclusion after 10th Super players potentials super diagnosis re-run of tests in His Special Super Labs. wink wink wink

Iheanacho will go on to become the First Iheanacho and soon people will come to associate the name "Iheanacho" with the terms, "World's best Footballer", " World Class Star", etc just like Einstein became associated with the word "Genius"..... you will think The names Einstein and Genius are super synonyms. Just like the way David is associated with the name Giant Slayer.... and more wink wink wink wink wink wink wink

Even when you hear Messi today, tell me what comes to your mind? wink

Or when you hear Edison? Bill Gates? **think about it**

IHEANACHO HEADLINES A NEW SUPER GOLDEN ERA IN OUR FOOTBALL...... IT ALL BEGAN IN 2013. I will always keep citing the birth year as 2013 that began the rise of these Super talents home and abroad....

Even Ed Dove couldn't help but write a beautiful piece about Nigeria's New Golden Era on the rise wink wink wink

Read it here:

THANK GOD THIS THREAD CARRIES A NAME THAT MATCHES WHAT WE ARE GRADUALLY WITNESSING....... "The Dawn of a new Era" smiley

[img]http://hookedoninspiration.files./2013/06/dawn-of-a-new-era_1.jpg?w=1212&h=612[/img]

So far so good. As long as Nacho keeps it in mind that he has to keep working hard. Keep listening to his coaches and senior brothers of both club and country.

CR7 keeps pushing himself. That is what I expect from not just Nacho but these future Stars of Nigerian and World Football.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:43am On Jun 01, 2016
Exactly Sir GoodJoe..... smiley

The attitude of never resting on one's oars... Personally, I am driven by the thrill and excitement to always beat my last best performance in anything. I believe in constant Expansion and continuous growth for no one can fill up the room of improvement or graduate from improvement's school.... wink

These guys must keep pushing their limits and stretching themselves.... I know in them lie World beaters and Super World class Champions.... Iheanacho, Success, Ndidi, Iwobi, Yahaya, Simon Moses, Musa Mohammed, Alampasu, Babatunde Michael, Sadiq Umar And the rest of them (including those selected from the U-17 screenings that saw a super turn out wink ) are in line to write their names in "Golden" history.

If they live for one-season or inconsistent seasonal wonders, they will be classed as just good footballers who came, sparkled for a while and left the stage BUT IF THEY KEEP STRETCHING (LIKE I STRONGLY BELIEVE THEY WOULD) THEN THEY WILL BE ETERNAL SUPER CLASS ACTS.

They will go down as SUPER LEGENDS. IT CAN HAPPEN.

WELL, SO FAR SO GOOD..... A new dawn begins.... Nigeria's Second and Newest Super Golden Generation is still on course....

One of her headliners, Kelechi Iheanacho has a stats of:

"2 goals and 2 assists" so far..... in 4 senior caps.

Note: Yesterday's game was Nacho's second start and first full 90 mins at Senior level for The Super Eagles. wink

#TheCountIsOn

Wish Success is called up soon... Nacho needs to be chased and stretched hard...

Osimhen will step up also when the time comes.

Same as Sadiq Umar, Taiwo Awoniyi and more to follow.... wink

Yekini's 37-goals record must not "survive" this new Golden Generation.... wink
grin wink

TheGoodJoe:

So far so good. As long as Nacho keeps it in mind that he has to keep working hard. Keep listening to his coaches and senior brothers of both club and country.

CR7 keeps pushing himself. That is what I expect from not just Nacho but these future Stars of Nigerian and World Football.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:04am On Jun 01, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Eagles beat Luxembourg to give coach Yusuf 100% record
[/size]

Iheanacho - Scored a second goal and provided an assist vs Luxembourg

by Samm Audu

Nigeria defeated Luxembourg 3-1 to give caretaker coach Salisu Yusuf two wins in as many games and enhance his chances of clinching the country’s top post soon.

It was mission accomplished for Yusuf after he was tasked to win both friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg.

Brown Ideye opened scoring in the 36th minute following a well-worked move.

Umar Aminu went past two defenders before he passed to skipper Ogenyi Onazi, whose ferocious effort was partly saved by the goalkeeper and from the rebound Ideye tucked away.

It was Ideye’s first goal in three years and justified he being considered ahead of Watford striker Odion Ighalo.

Kelechi Iheanacho scored his second goal in as many games when he capitalized on a defensive error after 69 minutes.

The home team pulled a goal back on 87 minutes through Vincent Thill after a defensive error.

Ighalo profited from a dashing solo run by man of the match Iheanacho in stoppage time to make it 3-1 in favour of Nigeria.

In the 80th minute, Ighalo would have made it 3-0, but the goalkeeper blocked his shot in a one-on-one situation.

His effort minutes later was disallowed by the referee on account of an infringement.

Eagles positional play was good and Aminu, Iheanacho and Alex Iwobi both had chances early on to put Nigeria on the scoreboard.

Nigeria dominated the proceedings as expected with Luxembourg hardly troubling their goal and by full time, the Eagles enjoyed 69% of the ball possession.

Early in the second half, Nigeria made two attacking changes – Moses Simon in for Aminu and Babatunde Michael for Iwobi – as they tried to step up the search for more goals.

Eagles vs Luxembourg

Daniel Akpeyi - Musa Mohammed, Elderson Echiejile, Kenneth Omeruo, Troost-Ekong (Arooyo 70) – Ogenyi Onazi (Wilfred Ndidi 63), Shehu Abdullahi (Raheem Lawal 63), Umar Aminu (Moses Simon 56), Alex Iwobi (Babatunde Michael 56) – Kelechi Iheanacho, Brown Ideye (Odion Ighalo 71)
http://africanfootball.com/news/629739/Eagles-beat-Luxembourg-to-give-coach-Yusuf-100-record
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:04am On Jun 01, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Botswana dare Nigeria in independence anniversary friendly
[/size]

Eagles Skipper Mikel

by Samm Audu

The Zebras of Botswana have invited Nigeria’s Super Eagles to a friendly to mark the country’s 50th independence anniversary, AfricanFootball.com can exclusively reveal.

Botswana will celebrate their 50th anniversary as an independent nation on September 30 and so are turning on the style for this Golden jubilee celebrations.

However, it is expected that since this match is likely not to fall within the FIFA-friendly window, the home-based Eagles will be the ones to prosecute it.

It has already been proposed that the home-based Eagles play the final AFCON 2017 qualifier at home against Tanzania on September 4.

The game is a mere formality as Nigeria have already crashed out of the AFCON.

Nigeria and Botswana have clashed at full international level once in December 2012 in Benin City.

It was coach Stephen Keshi’s first game in charge of the Eagles and it ended in a 0-0 draw,
http://africanfootball.com/news/629713/Botswana-dare-Nigeria-in-independence-anniversary-friendly
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:05am On Jun 01, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Onazi wants coaches retained for 'best Eagles I have played in'
[/size]

Eagles star Onazi wants Eagles coaches to keep their jobs

by Samm Audu

Super Eagles stand-in captain Ogenyi Onazi has made a passionate plea for caretaker coach Salisu Yusuf and his assistants, Imama Amapakabo and Kennedy Boboye, to be retained for the 2018 World Cup qualifiers beginning in October.

The interim coaches chalked up a perfect record of two wins in as many friendlies when they beat hosts Luxembourg 3-1 on Tuesday night after they also defeated Mali 1-0 in France.

And Lazio midfielder Onazi, who led the Eagles in the absence of Chelsea star Mikel Obi, has now come out to back the coaches after revealing that this was the best Super Eagles set-up he has ever worked in because of the high sense of unity and purpose the players showed in the one week they worked together.

“The atmosphere in the team was fantastic and everybody was hungry and ready to work for each other,” Onazi saluted the team in front of NFF technical committee boss Chris Green and his assistant, Ahmed Yusuf ‘Fresh’.

“We have all enjoyed how we have worked in training and during the matches, and we believe if these coaches were given at least a two-year contract, the Super Eagles will be flying again.”

The NFF have requested both foreign and local coaches to apply for the top Eagles coaching post and best qualified persons will be considered as Nigeria get set to push for a sixth World Cup finals after they again sensationally failed to qualify for the second straight time for the AFCON.

However, paucity of funds may force the federation to now look inwards for the man to steer the team through the qualifying tournament for Russia 2018.
http://africanfootball.com/news/629745/Onazi-wants-coaches-retained-for-best-Eagles-I-have-played-in
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 2:28pm On Jun 01, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

In short, "he is someone you can control."

When are we going to play top friendlies to grade our team. The Copa America is close and we can not play one of the top South American teams like Chile or Brazil. That is how we can grade our coaches, not Mali and Luxembourg.
i agreed but it is not a bad friendly either

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:32pm On Jun 01, 2016
enomakos:
i agreed but it is not a bad friendly either

No it is not a bad friendly. I am looking at it as we are starting from scratch and slowly building up. However, the World Cup qualifiers is fast approaching and we should pick up the pace. Not qualifying is not an option

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 3:03pm On Jun 01, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

No it is not bad a bar friendly. I am looking at it as we are starting from scratch and slowly building up. However, the World Cup qualifiers is fast approaching and we should pick up the pace. Not qualifying is not an option
i believe we will qualify for the world cup
no shaking

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:27pm On Jun 01, 2016
[size=14pt]
'The Beast' Akinfenwa claims offers from Australia, Middle East
[/size]

Adebayo Akinfenwa 'The Beast'

AFC Wimbledon Wembley hero ‘The Beast’ Adebayo Akinfenwa has said he could play football outside England for the first time after he received offers from clubs in Australia and the Middle East.

Promoted Wimbledon have confirmed the bulky Nigerian-born striker, who scored the goal that confirmed their place in the English League 1 next season, will not be given a new contract.

“I have received from Australia, who are trying hard to sell the lifestyle of beaches and all to me, and also from the Middle East,” Akinfenwa informed.

“I’m off on holidays for five days when I won’t think anything football.

“Next week I will think of my future.”
http://africanfootball.com/news/629754/The-Beast-Akinfenwa-claims-offers-from-Australia-Middle-East

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:45pm On Jun 01, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Abia Warriors cancel Chikatara's transfer to Wydad Casablanca
[/size]

Chisom Chikatara

by Samm Audu

Abia Warriors chairman Emeka Inyama has told AfricanFootball.com the Nigeria league club have cancelled an agreement they signed with Moroccan club Wydad Casablanca for striker Chisom Chikatara.

Earlier this year, Chikatara agreed to join Wydad on a three-year contract that would have paid Abia Warriors $500,000 with the player netting a salary of $250,000 a year.

Wydad had also agreed to be paying the striker salary immediately the agreement was signed, but they failed to do so.

However, Inyama first hinted AfricanFootball.com last week that the deal was heading for the rocks as the Moroccans were yet to pay the club and player any dime.

“The deal with Wydad is cancelled,” Inyama told AfricanFootball.com

The decision of Abia Warriors comes at a time when the chairman said there has been renewed interest in the striker who shone at the last CHAN in Rwanda.

“There is a renewal of interest in the player as we have received offers from all over Europe for him now – Austria, Germany, among other countries,” he informed.

“We will study these offers before we decide on the boy’s future.”
http://africanfootball.com/news/629783/Abia-Warriors-cancel-Chikatara-s-transfer-to-Wydad-Casablanca
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 7:08pm On Jun 02, 2016
Hello everyone its no news that the super eagles are in a quasi-rebuilding process (again) necessitated by nigeria’s failure to qualify for the 2017 AFCON. In my humble opinion our inability to qualify was down to a combination of administrative failings, poor coaching decisions and strange player selections. It is my honest belief that we have a pool of players good enough to turn Nigeria back into a major football force in Africa and world at large. While the NFF goes hard at getting a great coach for the team allow me to present a list of players we should use to execute our qualifiers from now going forward. So hang on folks this is a long one J

GOALKEEPER: this is a position we have thankfully not been found wanting. From the old stalwarts like okalla, best ogedengbe, rufai, ike shorunmu to the great Vincent enyeanma Nigeria has always had good if not great goalkeepers and these current ones I will list below are no exception.
CARL IKEME – when enyeama retired unceremoniously many feared that a huge vacuum had been created in the goalkeeping position which would be hard to fill immediately but the big man from Wolverhampton has put paid to such fears. Initially I didn’t know what to expect from him but his sharp reflexes, strong command in the air and excellent shot stopping abilities completely won me over. I always negodu at keshi when he made us put up with agbim when we had quality like ikeme. Carl is at a good age for a goalkeeper and I see him (God willing if we qualify) manning the post in Russia 2018.
DANIEL – dream team number one and enugu rangers safe hands very much in the mould of enyeama acrobatic shot stopper, penalty saving king an amazing talent no doubt. Hopefully see more of him in the rio Olympics. Will surely push ikeme for that number one shirt.
ALAMPASU – an integral part of the exciting under 17 team that won the world cup in UAE 2013 alampasu is slowly making a name for himself. He also has good reflexes and has started his career on a decent footing in Portugal. He’s down in the pecking order but he has the ability to be our future number one.
AKPEYI – another good keeper has a lot to do to start ahead of the above mentioned goalkeepers. Decent backup to have on the bench.
EZENWA – part of the unsuccessful 2016 CHAN team but make no mistakes he’s a very capable goaltender.

DEFENDERS: sadly this is the position we are currently having trouble finding quality players for but the ones I have below are talented and decent. A good coach should be able to harness these guys into an effective defensive unit.

(RIGHT BACKS)
SINCERE SETH – best defender of Siasia’s Olympic ‘’boys’’. Above average defending but can improve in his over lapping. Still young though with potential to get better. Hope he flourishes at the big stage of rio.
MUSA MOHAMMED – another member of the acclaimed under17 winning team in UAE. Full of running, good set piece delivery, supports the attack well but can do better in defending. Has age on his side will surely improve with more game time especially at club level.
MOSES ODUBANJO – break out season for the young man. Helped his club hull city gain promotion to the premiership. He would probably be our best right back thankfully he wants to represent Nigeria NFF do the needful.
OTIGBA – like odubanjo wants to play for Nigeria. Must have some ability to be able to play consistently for his club in a tough dutch league.
PLEASE NO MORE OF THIS MAKE SHIFT RIGHT BACK NONSENSE

(LEFT BACK)
STANLEY AMUZIE – talented decent going forward but I find him suspect defensively as I have argued in the past with goodjoe and supernerd. He will improve.
ELDERSON ECHEIEJILE – our most experienced left back. Not the most comfortable going forward but ok defense wise. Decent cover stopgap at worst.
OSHANIWA – greatly improved from his cameo performance in 2013 AFCON. As seen in his performances at the world cup in brazil where I reckon he was our best defender. Criminally been left out of the team when he should be pressing for a first team shirt.
KINGSLEY MADU – another who has been inexplicably left out of the team. Comfortable joining the attack assured in his defending I think he is our best left and should be starting.

(CENTRE BACKS)
EFE AMBROSE – enough has been said\written about his defending or lack thereof. He’s on my list strictly as a VERY VERY short stopgap.
OBOABONA – declined in recent years will probably be phased out although with a good defensive partner could be good cover in case of injury.
TROOST-EKONG – young defender still improving his game one for the immediate future.
AWAZIEM – untested at national team level but wouldn’t have played first team for porto if he wasn’t good.
LEON BALOGUN – big tall strong uncompromising defender. A bit slow and clumsy causing him to make avoidable mistakes but solid once settled.
OMERUE – for me our best defender lost some form of recent but still quality trusting he will soon bounce back to his best.

MIDFIELDERS: Nigeria has always had a tradition of producing good to excellent midfielders but in the past decade especially after okocha’s retirement we have struggled to unearth enough quality players in that position. Recent graduates from the cadet teams give me hope that we have turned the corner in that regard.

MIKEL – arguably the golden boy of the super eagles. As a player he has had to bear the burden of carrying the team’s midfield for years with mixed results. Going forward in his new role as captain he can hopefully help groom this new exciting generation of midfielders.
ONAZI – tough tackler, battler and tireless runner onazi brings an aggression and fearsomeness that had been lacking in our midfield play for years. His form has been hit and miss as of late though and will need to work extra hard to retain his place.
NDIDI – could this be the long awaited heir to Sunday oliseh? His recent form for club and country seem to suggest so. Can also play in defence so could be a useful utility player. Not far from first team.
RAHEEM LAWAL – been unlucky with call ups these past few years but there’s no doubting his ability. Can play as a central or defensive midfielder. Will bring needed competition to the national team.
AZUBUIKE OKECHUKWU – one of siasia’s boys. Like Raheem also comfortable in central or defensive midfield roles. Technically gifted he’s also a good option to have for competition.
USMAN MOHAMMED – another of siasia’s stalwarts good technically highly skilful shone like a million stars in the poor CHAN team.
JOHN OGU – another good player. Big, strong but comfortable with the ball at his feet. Good option.
ALEX IWOBI – new boy wonder. Fast, direct and a good dribbler his excellent passing range and ability to unlock stubborn defences with his through passes are a joy to watch. Finally after okocha we have another creative outlet.
ETEBO – not as skilful or technical as other midfielders on this list but his goal threat is a good asset. Tireless aggressive runner also good at set pieces.
MICHAEL BABATUNDE – won’t lie wasn’t a fan of his but his performance at the last world cup in brazil won me over. Also skilful will provide useful competition for the attacking midfield role.

…and some honourable mentions IFEANYI MATTHEW, NWOBODO, K. NWAKALI, M. YAHAYA, S. POPOOLA

ATTACKERS: from the greats like YEKINI, ODEGBAMI, AMOKACHI, FINIDI to decent players like I. UCHE, AGHAHOWA, EMENIKE etc Nigeria has always produced wonderful strikers and this new generation is no exception.

MOSES SIMON – full fledged winger not afraid to take on opposition defences. Decent crosser also has an eye for goal. Needs to work on his decision making though. Once he gets that right he would be simply unplayable.
VICTOR MOSES – arguably our best and most skilful player. When he’s on form Nigeria ticks. Has all the ingredients to be a world class player but his laidback nature and lack of ambition is hindering him seriously.
AHMED MUSA – frankly speaking as a winger he’s terrible his crossing abysmal (maybe because he’s a true muslim cheesy) but jokes apart his finishing for club and country is up there with the best. Maybe the national team coaches are missing a trick.
K. IHEANACHO – shining star of the victorious under 17 team in UAE. Clinical finisher and excellent passer this has been a breakthrough season for iheanacho with club and country. Potential to be Nigeria’s next world class performer.
I. SUCCESS – fast, strong and burly another in a long line of bullish strikers like amokachi we have produced. Inextricably hasn’t been called up. Deserves his chance.
IDEYE – not the greatest finisher but his work rate and excellent link up play with his strike partners are a definite asset.
IGHALO – typical 18 yard box operator and goal poacher. Had a good season but his loss of form towards the end was worrying. Hope it’s just a blip.
CHIKATARA – top scorer in our CHAN team. Has good pace and movement excellent finisher.

Honourable mentions OSIMHEN, AWONIYI and SADIQ UMAR.

This list is by no means exhaustive as any unknown exceptional player can break into the team but barring any unforeseen circumstance most of these players on my list should be the ones we use going forward. I’m fairly confident that with this pool of players any good coach the NFF appoints would make the super eagles a dominant football force for years to come.

Comments, analysis and critiques are highly welcome.

Cc icon4, goodjoe, tbaba, supernerd, safarigirl and any other sport analyst I forgot to mention

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:20pm On Jun 03, 2016
Nice Write-up Sir Chrisooblog... Well done... smiley

We shall update as usual but those are the central actors that we expect to secure that Russia 2018 WC ticket by fire or by thunder.... by earthquake or by raining brimstones... grin

It's Crunch time! cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:01pm On Jun 03, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Nice Write-up Sir Chrisooblog... Well done... smiley

We shall update as usual but those are the central actors that we expect to secure that Russia 2018 WC ticket by fire or by thunder.... by earthquake or by raining brimstones... grin

It's Crunch time! cheesy

Not when those jerks are having a brawl in the glasshouse as reported by espnfc. I am seriously getting tired of the non football wahala in Nigeria smh.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:35pm On Jun 03, 2016
Sir Basco.... Lol.... na ignore I just dey ignore them.

Don't wanna have a migraine pondering over their chaos.

Sad indeed but I gotta fix my eyes on the positives (the football side of things).... wink

BascoVanVeli:

Not when those jerks are having a brawl in the glasshouse as reported by espnfc. I am seriously getting tired of the non football wahala in Nigeria smh.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 10:57am On Jun 06, 2016
[size=14pt]I AM READY TO LEAD SUPER EAGLES - SALISU YUSUF[/size]

Super Eagles caretaker Salisu Yusuf has declared his willingness to take the country’s top coaching post on a fulltime basis.

READ: Yusuf backs Eagles young guns

The former Enyimba and Kano Pillars coach was in temporary charge of the Eagles for the recent friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg.

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) are due to announce a substantive coach ahead of the 2018 World Cup qualifiers, which begin in October.

Yusuf will now be one of the top contenders after he acquitted himself in the wins over Mali and Luxembourg which has helped Nigeria climb six spots up the FIFA rankings.

And he said he is equal to the task especially after he assisted the country’s last three coaches – Stephen Keshi, Sunday Oliseh and Samson Siasia.

“I can take responsibility at this level,” said the former El Kanemi and Ranchers Bees midfielder, who said he was grateful to the NFF for giving him the opportunity to lead the country’s team for the first time.

“I have been working as a coach for the past 15 years. I will work a lot harder because the responsibility is higher. It will not change my philosophy as a coach.

“I will not be surprised if I’m given the job because I have assisted three coaches (Keshi, Oliseh and Siasia). I know the job and I can do the job.”

Yusuf further said one of his priorities as head coach is to work with players who are playing regularly at their clubs whether locally or overseas.

“I will use active players, playing for their clubs regularly, conditioning and match fitness will come from their clubsides. We will only discus tactics and strategy for the four days we are together before a game,” he said.

“The quality of the player cannot be compromised and if he is active, he can take responsibility

“If you are playing for your club, it will be easier for you to play for the national team.”

http://africanfootball.com/news/630305/I-am-ready-to-lead-Super-Eagles-Salisu-Yusuf

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 7:48am On Jun 07, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa Cameroon
Nigeria to draw Egypt, Cameroon in tough World Cup group?
[/size]

Nigeria vs Egypt in AFCON 2017 qualifier recently

by Samm Audu

Nigeria could well face Egypt, the team who eliminated them from AFCON 2017, and dreaded rivals Cameroon in a tough 2018 World Cup qualifying group after they were drawn in Pot 3.

The draw for the World Cup qualifiers will be staged in Cairo, Egypt, on June 24.

As expected Egypt are in Pot 1 alongside Algeria, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana and Senegal.

Pot 2 has Tunisia, Cape Verde, DR Congo, Guinea and Cameroon.

Nigeria are in Pot 3 with Congo Brazzaville, Morocco, Mali and South Africa, meaning these teams will avoid themselves in the qualifiers to be played in a mini-league format from October to November 2017.

The 20 teams for the draw will be divided into five groups of four teams with the winners of each group qualifying for Russia 2018.

Nigeria will be playing to qualify for a sixth World Cup after they featured at the 1994, 1998, 2002, 2010 and 2014 editions.

africanfootball.com/news/630338/Nigeria-to-draw-Egypt-Cameroon-in-tough-World-Cup-group
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:38am On Jun 08, 2016
Rest in peace, Big Boss Keshi...... A True and Awesome Legend....

I didn't realise how much I really loved this man until this morning.

Why did I even log into the internet this morning? This news totally pierced through me. I was heartbroken. Ohhh Keshi...... God bless your Rest. Adieu "The Legend Boss"

[img]http://thisisafrica.me/lifestyle/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/07/Stephen-Keshi-May-2014-BellaNaija-750x420.jpg[/img]

[img]http://3.bp..com/-CRL180y-s94/UR4y2wu-lzI/AAAAAAAAWIQ/Zz-ZT39bs0E/s640/P08-130214-miki.jpg[/img]

He was not just a legend but also A Boss..... He shall always be known to me as "The Legend Boss".... Adieu Big Boss.........

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 7:12am On Jun 08, 2016
WOW...this is unbelievable. A few days ago, I was celebrating his appointment as the coach of Orlando Pirates. cry cry cry

Adieu Stephen Okechukwu Keshi. You gave us great joyous moments. You will never be forgotten.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:18am On Jun 08, 2016
My passion for Nigerian football died and I never thought I would love and Support the Super Eagles the way I used to.

Then came our Big Boss. The Super Captain I used to treasure and his passion resurrected my passion. His success was our success and Super Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi's victory was a victory of the whole country.

We will miss you.

Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi the Big Boss.

When you talk of Super Eagles, I am Super Eagles...Coach Stephen Keshi.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by confun: 8:56am On Jun 08, 2016
O nooo, why Na...Stephen keshi......o why.....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by onyeomaonyeoma(m): 9:45am On Jun 08, 2016
Of a truth dis life is vanity upon vanity.... .

Sleep Well BIG BOSS.......U are one of the best coach to comes out of Africa..... . .

U will forever be in my heart R I P

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:10pm On Jun 09, 2016
Remembering Stephen Keshi: Nigeria's legendary player and coach

As a fan, one of my most abiding memories of Stephen Keshi, who passed away on Tuesday, was his mistake that allowed Senegal's Jules Bocande to cancel Samson Siasia's early goal in a group stage match at the 1992 African Nations' Cup in Senegal, only to see Keshi later redeem himself by bounding up all the way forward to smash home the winner in the final minute.

It was in Keshi's character that he never saw a hurdle he was not willing and prepared to scale, especially if it was his own mistake.

Up close, I had interviewed him as an assistant coach when he was under then-Nigeria coach Shaibu Amodu, then later as coach of Togo. On every occasion, he was boisterous, straight-talking but retained a canny wariness of the media.

It was an openness I came to understand even better while working with him as Press Officer of the Nigeria men's national team.

On his first day as Nigeria coach in 2011, I was the last of the back room staff to arrive at the team hotel in Abuja. With no time to change into team kit, I went straight to the dining hall where Keshi was delivering his first address to the team.

There he was, perched on a single chair that he had turned around, his arms resting on the back rest. He stopped talking, took one hard, piercing look at me and asked why the media was in his dining room.

Team Secretary Enebi Achor explained that I was the media officer. Keshi let out a booming laugh and said, "So you're on our side now. Good. So when your friends hammer us, you will enjoy it with us too."

It was an early sign that Keshi didn't quite completely trust the press. Rather than bunker down and alienate the press, however, Keshi felt the best way was to make friends. He bantered, joked, gave some of the most entertaining interviews, but hardly ever said anything he didn't want to.

We would fight over requests for interviews, but in the end, he would always do it. "Just don't let it interrupt my training program," was always his final word. And then he would go on and on until I would have to remind him we we running late for training!

Inside the dressing room, his approach was to create a siege mentality with his players -- "they don't like us out there so we must prove them wrong" -- while putting a hand on every shoulder and making each player believe he was capable of more.

"He called me aside and told me to believe in myself," Godfrey Oboabona told me after Nigeria beat the Ivory Coast at the 2013 African Nations' Cup. "He said [Didier] Drogba does not have two heads or four legs and if I play to my best, I could do it. That's what I did."

After my time as Super Eagles Press Officer, I continued to cover the team as a reporter and presenter for SuperSport. This time, I was fighting to get interviews with Keshi as an outsider, especially at the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup and the 2014 FIFA World Cup.

Sometimes, my cameraman and I would be the only two with the team. Despite strict tournament restrictions around media, Keshi would see to it that we got our interviews. "You're a pest, this man. You always want interviews," he joked after we showed up at the training ground the day after a game when nobody else had. "But you can't travel all this way for nothing, so let's talk."
Stephen Keshi in presser
While Keshi was wary of the press, he could also offer up entertaining anecdotes in news conferences.

And talk he would. His news conferences never lacked entertainment, even after a bad game. Like Rudyard Kipling, he treated triumph and failure as equals. And his triumphs were a testament to that attitude.

He was not perfect. Keshi, like the rest of us, was a flawed man. But rarely have the flaws of one man provided the catalyst for the greatness of so many. Keshi's genius was in the ability to mine his own flaws into gems that glittered not just for himself, but lent their lustre to others. Long before club versus country disputes became a thing, at least in Africa, it had shaped the career of Keshi, and with hindsight, that of almost every other footballer of African descent.

As one of the stars of the great New Nigeria Bank team of the early 1980's, Keshi chose to play for his club in a Cup game before reporting for national duty. Miffed, the Nigerian Football Association slammed him with a ban. Unable to play in Nigeria, Keshi moved abroad, first to the Ivory Coast, then to Belgium.

That move triggered the exodus of African players to the hallowed pitches of Europe and sparked a new generation of players -- players exposed to football at its very professional peak. Subsequently, he helped other players make the move, including the likes of Ghana's Nii Odartey Lamptey, whom he took under his wing.

He bridged the gap between the older generation of players who achieved greatness by playing on their home continent, and the newer generation exposed to European professionalism. His move proved a success, with spells at Lokeren, Anderlecht and then Strasbourg, with club success happening in tandem with international triumphs.

As captain, he led the Super Eagles with an iron fist. So overwhelming was his influence that Clemens Westerhof, who was coach at the time, was believed to have consulted Keshi about squad selection, leading to the moniker, "The Big Boss," both for his size and influence.

The feeling was mutual. Such was his respect and admiration for Westerhof that at a private party in Lagos to celebrate his World Cup qualification with Togo, he told the Dutchman, "I did it your way, boss."

Fourteen years after Nigeria's first and only Nations' Cup title, Keshi captained the Super Eagles to a second in 1994, after previously winning bronze and silver. He then led the team to World Cup qualification in 1994 and then to the World Cup proper, where they reached the Round of 16 before losing to eventual finalists Italy.

By then, Keshi's playing powers were on the wane, but his leadership was as compelling as ever. Despite that, he had no immediate plans to be coach -- until fate intervened. His stepped in to coach his daughter's team in the United States, where he had relocated, and did so well that he decided to continue.
Stephen Keshi as Togo coach
In addition to his time as Nigeria coach, Keshi also managed Togo and Mali, helping the former qualify for the 2006 World Cup.

He returned to Nigeria, and joined Dutchman Johannes Bonfrere in an assistant capacity as Nigeria finished second to Cameroon at the 2000 Nations' Cup. He was also assistant to Amodu when the Super Eagles won bronze in 2002 and qualified for the 2002 World Cup before the technical team were replaced with Festus Onigbinde.

But it was at Togo that he made his bones, qualifying the little West African country for the 2006 World Cup before failure at that year's African Nations' Cup, as well as a much-publicised spat with star striker Emmanuel Adebayor, led to his departure.

A stint at Mali from 2008-10 did not quote go so well, but by 2011 he was the overwhelmingly popular choice to replace Samson Siasia as Nigeria coach.

Keshi's impact was instant. Against popular grain, his overhauled team, packed with first-timers and players from the domestic league, shocked the continent by winning the Nations' Cup in 2013.

At the moment of his greatest triumph, controversy took over when he announced his resignation from his post just hours after winning the title. By the time the dust had cleared, the act had cost Nigerian Football Federation officials their share of national awards handed out by the president to the team for their victory.

It was a slight that was neither to be forgotten, nor overlooked, and marked the beginning of the end for Keshi as Nigeria boss. He knew it, and began a high-powered game of cultivating a network of political backers to fight his cause.

Ultimately, he lost the power play and was relieved of his job in July 2015. But his record as both player and coach stands almost unassailable. At least for now.

Legend is not a word to be used lightly. Applied properly, it is an embodiment of greatness, of extraordinary accomplishment, of exemplary leadership, of groundbreaking achievement. There are few true legends in Nigeria. Stephen Keshi was one of the rare, genuine ones. And not just as a sportsman. He was a genuine patriot who embodied the greatness, open-heartedness, as well as the resilience of the Nigerian spirit.

Colin Udoh is the editor of KickOffNigeria.com and African football correspondent for ESPN FC. Follow him on Twitter @ColinUdoh.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 2:21pm On Jun 09, 2016
Absolutely fascinating write-up@ chrisooblog, but I do have a few suggestions.

Carl Ikeme is not Enyeama or even close, no offence. Being a GK isn't only about your shot stopping ability but also your ability to organise your defence. Supersport9 was showing highlights of our Afcon2013 and you could see how Enyeama was tirelessly organizing his defence,that trait is not found in Ikeme but he is a good GK still.My suggestion would be to blood in Alampasu,he is 18 now or so,if he can become our first choice in 2 years time, then not only will he continue to improve,but even before he gets to 25, he would have been a constant figure and our defenders would respect him and obey him. I also think that the Enyimba goalie is better than Ezenwa, not Femi Thomas, the other guy. Does anyone know where Dani Paul is?!

Your right back and left back choices are spot on. Odubajo and Madu are the best we can think of now so no arguments there. Then in the CB dept, you made mention of Ambrose and Obaobona, no no no please, not those two. Oboabona i can manage but Ambrose?He looks more like TB Joshua than an actual footballer, scrap him please? We have Gbenga Arokoyo and one young blood who plays for Barca's team B. I watched most of the BarcaB games in the segunda division and he was decent, clearly not a starter because let's face it, Omeruo and Ekong are our future right about now so he will just be a bench piece. Also i would not include Leon Balogun in the 'CB list'. He is a right back,we should stop playing people out of position, and he would provide decent competition for Odubajo, Musa is still too young and inexperienced and he is not better than them either.

The midfield gets tricky,I think we only have enough room for either Mikel OR Onazi not the two. No matter the formation that the coach chooses to implement, we can't have them both in a 23-man squad. If we play a double pivot like we normally do(which I do not like), it has to be Ndidi and Mikel, if we play a single pivot then none of them should be in the team or maybe Mikel can get the nod ahead of Ndidi now while Ndidi gains the experience he needs for the future, but Mikel and Onazi won't work in a limited list. Then Etebo,he should try to move into the striking position,your list was quite short of AMFs which we badly need now.Only Iwobi is decent there as an Amf(please don't say Michael Babatunde,I'm still not a fan). And that's where we need the scouts to work because we can't go about with only one Amf. In my dream midfield, we would replicate Barca's midfield, Mikel as the true DMF(Busquets), Ogu as the work horse(I don't know if Ndidi can play as the box to box CMF) and Iwobi as the flair and attacking player(Iniesta's role). You can flip it to Madrid too,their midfield works thesame way, all good teams implement thesame style these days,so playing two DMFs does not work anymore.So if our team has to contain 6 mids, I would go for Ogu, Ndidi,Mikel,Iwobi,Babatunde and Yahaya(the last two are bench pieces and Yahaya can cover for almost any of the midfield positions)

The striking dept is extremely tricky. But i would include Kayode over Ighalo for example(you remember Kayode right?). And also Musa is not clinical for Nigeria, I remember the one he did in that Afcon2013 final, he was sent through on goal and he fell down with no one close to him,lol! All in all we are blessed with enough talent, I didn't even mention Azubuike, Rabiu Ibrahim and so many others, we just need the right formation to click!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:02pm On Jun 09, 2016
Africa's Pots ahead of the June 24 Draws

Crunch time people.... wink

Wanna share the same group with Mahrez, Brahimi, Slimani and co? Or would you prefer Yaya, Bony, Gervinho and co? grin

Okay, what about Akaichi and co? Probably Sadio Mane, Diafra Sakho and co? wink

Or wait up.... maybe the Ayew brothers, Gyan, Schlupp, Amartey, Partey and co will be waiting for us? wink

Truth is, however it turns out, bring it on.... Pot 1 may be Africa's strongest at the moment... but that pot 3 na wa ooo... dangerous foes there too. grin

Our Pot too is very very dangerous.... Mali, CapeVerde and Egypt are three of Africa's most in-form sides of late.

#June24Loading..................
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:56pm On Jun 09, 2016
thanks mickael2 for your nice contributions

on carl i would never suggest he's up to enyeama level but you have to admit carl has been decent considering the dodgy defenders he's had to work with as for ezenwa i am cool with any talented home based keeper replacing him.

bros believe me i very grudgely added ambrose. he's just a short term option who i would gladly drop like hot asaro.

i personally think mikel and onazi can still function in the same team. bruv you are seriously underating babatunde o. about attacking midfielders that's why i included yayaha, nwobodo as honourable mentions.

i still insist ahmed musa can be useful in attack if the coaches use him better tactically. yes i know kayode he is a good addition

Mickael2:

Carl Ikeme is not Enyeama or even close, no offence. Being a GK isn't only about your shot stopping ability but also your ability to organise your defence. Supersport9 was showing highlights of our Afcon2013 and you could see how Enyeama was tirelessly organizing his defence,that trait is not found in Ikeme but he is a good GK still.My suggestion would be to blood in Alampasu,he is 18 now or so,if he can become our first choice in 2 years time, then not only will he continue to improve,but even before he gets to 25, he would have been a constant figure and our defenders would respect him and obey him. I also think that the Enyimba goalie is better than Ezenwa, not Femi Thomas, the other guy. Does anyone know where Dani Paul is?!

Your right back and left back choices are spot on. Odubajo and Madu are the best we can think of now so no arguments there. Then in the CB dept, you made mention of Ambrose and Obaobona, no no no please, not those two. Oboabona i can manage but Ambrose?He looks more like TB Joshua than an actual footballer, scrap him please? We have Gbenga Arokoyo and one young blood who plays for Barca's team B. I watched most of the BarcaB games in the segunda division and he was decent, clearly not a starter because let's face it, Omeruo and Ekong are our future right about now so he will just be a bench piece. Also i would not include Leon Balogun in the 'CB list'. He is a right back,we should stop playing people out of position, and he would provide decent competition for Odubajo, Musa is still too young and inexperienced and he is not better than them either.

The midfield gets tricky,I think we only have enough room for either Mikel OR Onazi not the two. No matter the formation that the coach chooses to implement, we can't have them both in a 23-man squad. If we play a double pivot like we normally do(which I do not like), it has to be Ndidi and Mikel, if we play a single pivot then none of them should be in the team or maybe Mikel can get the nod ahead of Ndidi now while Ndidi gains the experience he needs for the future, but Mikel and Onazi won't work in a limited list. Then Etebo,he should try to move into the striking position,your list was quite short of AMFs which we badly need now.Only Iwobi is decent there as an Amf(please don't say Michael Babatunde,I'm still not a fan). And that's where we need the scouts to work because we can't go about with only one Amf. In my dream midfield, we would replicate Barca's midfield, Mikel as the true DMF(Busquets), Ogu as the work horse(I don't know if Ndidi can play as the box to box CMF) and Iwobi as the flair and attacking player(Iniesta's role). You can flip it to Madrid too,their midfield works thesame way, all good teams implement thesame style these days,so playing two DMFs does not work anymore.So if our team has to contain 6 mids, I would go for Ogu, Ndidi,Mikel,Iwobi,Babatunde and Yahaya(the last two are bench pieces and Yahaya can cover for almost any of the midfield positions)

The striking dept is extremely tricky. But i would include Kayode over Ighalo for example(you remember Kayode right?). And also Musa is not clinical for Nigeria, I remember the one he did in that Afcon2013 final, he was sent through on goal and he fell down with no one close to him,lol! All in all we are blessed with enough talent, I didn't even mention Azubuike, Rabiu Ibrahim and so many others, we just need the right formation to click!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 6:42pm On Jun 09, 2016
chrisooblog:
thanks mickael2 for your nice contributions

on carl i would never suggest he's up to enyeama level but you have to admit carl has been decent considering the dodgy defenders he's had to work with as for ezenwa i am cool with any talented home based keeper replacing him.

bros believe me i very grudgely added ambrose. he's just a short term option who i would gladly drop like hot asaro.

i personally think mikel and onazi can still function in the same team. bruv you are seriously underating babatunde o. about attacking midfielders that's why i included yayaha, nwobodo as honourable mentions.

i still insist ahmed musa can be useful in attack if the coaches use him better tactically. yes i know kayode he is a good addition

Carl is a good keeper,absolutely! My main point is that we should start inviting Alampasu ASAP.

For Ambrose eh, bros make we drop that asaro, whether hot or cold abeg.

I am not saying that Musa has nothing to offer ooo. Far from it, just that you were kinda insinuating that we should push him into a more direct role and not his normal wing. Well I agree, but he can't lead our line o.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:39pm On Jun 09, 2016
From one of my Old Post after Coach Keshi lost his Super Eagles coaching job.

[b]
Thank you Coach Keshi for your hard work. The new stars you discovered for the country and the home based lads you exposed and gave them hope for a better life.

Coach Keshi and his crew are heroes. I will never forget them.

My Best Moments Under Coach Keshi and his crew.

The Super Eagles draw against Catalonia. Nice goal by Bright Dike.
The Super Eagles success in defeating Cote d'Ivoire at AFCON.
The demolition of Mali at the AFCON.
The Triumph over Burkina Faso and the win of the AFCON.
Mikel's lovely goal against Uruguay at the Confederations cup.
Mikel's dominating performance against Spain.
Mikel's nomination for the African Player Of The Year.

The turn around performance of the Super Eagles in the CHAN game against Morocco.
The equalising goal by Uzoenyi against Morroco at the CHAN. A lovely curling goal.
The winning goal by Ibrahim Abubakar. The dance after the goal was funny and memorable.

Nigeria's World Cup Qualification winning game. The way people of Calabar ran to the section of the VIP crew to Celebrate with the Governor of the Cross River state - Gov. Liyel Imoke.

The draw against Italy. The man of the match performance of Shola Ameobi. One assist and A Lovely goal by Shola Ameobi after receiving an amazing cross from Benjamin Francis.

The defeat of Bosnia at the World Cup. A Nice slot in by Osaze and a last minute foot save by Enyeama, stopping Dzeko's chance of a last minute equaliser.
The brace of Ahmed Musa against Argentina.

Finally the brace and goals from Ahmed Musa against Sudan. The lovely goal from Aaron Samuel. Despite all the criticism of bringing a player from the Chinese league, showed Aaron Samuel had quality.

Miss you Da Big Boss and his crew.[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ezebinaugwu(m): 8:08pm On Jun 09, 2016
39981Y35TGC0VD2
This is my code for macdinal's daily 7 challenge add me to test your skills too plenty prizes on offer
Its also on uefa.com click on fanzone to see the challenge
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by confun: 6:57am On Jun 10, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
From one of my Old Post after Coach Keshi lost his Super Eagles coaching job.

[b]
Thank you Coach Keshi for your hard work. The new stars you discovered for the country and the home based lads you exposed and gave them hope for a better life.

Coach Keshi and his crew are heroes. I will never forget them.

My Best Moments Under Coach Keshi and his crew.

The Super Eagles draw against Catalonia. Nice goal by Bright Dike.
The Super Eagles success in defeating Cote d'Ivoire at AFCON.
The demolition of Mali at the AFCON.
The Triumph over Burkina Faso and the win of the AFCON.
Mikel's lovely goal against Uruguay at the Confederations cup.
Mikel's dominating performance against Spain.
Mikel's nomination for the African Player Of The Year.

The turn around performance of the Super Eagles in the CHAN game against Morocco.
The equalising goal by Uzoenyi against Morroco at the CHAN. A lovely curling goal.
The winning goal by Ibrahim Abubakar. The dance after the goal was funny and memorable.

Nigeria's World Cup Qualification winning game. The way people of Calabar ran to the section of the VIP crew to Celebrate with the Governor of the Cross River state - Gov. Liyel Imoke.

The draw against Italy. The man of the match performance of Shola Ameobi. One assist and A Lovely goal by Shola Ameobi after receiving an amazing cross from Benjamin Francis.

The defeat of Bosnia at the World Cup. A Nice slot in by Osaze and a last minute foot save by Enyeama, stopping Dzeko's chance of a last minute equaliser.
The brace of Ahmed Musa against Argentina.

Finally the brace and goals from Ahmed Musa against Sudan. The lovely goal from Aaron Samuel. Despite all the criticism of bringing a player from the Chinese league, showed Aaron Samuel had quality.

Miss you Da Big Boss and his crew.[/b]
hmmmm, I feel sad......despite the negativities sourounding him when he was coach, the NFF was a burden for him, yet he still achieved many things......big boss....,we will surely miss you.....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:19am On Jun 10, 2016
Ghana flew their flag at half-mast in honor of the Big Boss.

In the space of 5 days Two greats, Mohammed Ali and Stephen Keshi said "goodbyes"...... " odd goodbyes " they were and I am most shocked by Keshi's. I am trying to move on from the shock but........

Well, Nigeria better immortalize him. Ghana did their bit by leaving their flag at half-mast... Keshi is Nigeria's Most Successful indigenous coach and arguably most successful Super Eagles Boss.

He holds a lot of "firsts and onlys" even in death.... Haba!!! This Hero died "young" abeg.... At 54, he still had like 12-16 yrs as coach at the top level.

It's amazing encomiums and condolences are pouring in even from Keshi's perennial detractors and worst "destructive" critics.... Even people who didn't want him to succeed with the team at AFCON 2013 are seen saying, "He is a legend to behold".... if I hold that mouth of theirs Ehn!!!!!!!!! Nonsense!!!

When Keshi was alive, who remembered he was this respected in the world?? Who remembered he was still Nigeria's best ever indigenous coach?? Who??

At the mention of Keshi, most people always rained Insults and rubbish talks even on NL.

I remember always pointing out that no matter how much mistakes Keshi has made (And he did make mistakes) He is still and remains Nigeria's Best ever indigenous manager and one of Africa's Elite and finest technical minds.

Even When Keshi's wife, Kate was seriously battling Cancer (she battled cancer for so long), this man stood to finish his course with Nigeria. Unfortunately, it ended badly as Nigeria did not qualify for Afcon 2015.

He lost Kate last year in December. I mourned her but was worried this will seriously affect Keshi as I know how very close he was to her and how much he loved and adored her.

I was worried and told some members of my family who followed the beautiful game that I fear for Keshi's state of mind. To me, Keshi didn't die on June 08. He died the day Kate died.

He only made it obvious on June 08. I am still sad because I know what Keshi can still contribute to Nigerian and African football despite his last sojourn with us prior to AFCON 2015.

He had a super start and fine run as Super Eagles Manager from late 2011 to Mid-2014. But from Mid-2014 to 2015, we all called for his head (me inclusive...... ) because of bad results and strange players selection some of which paid off and some of which were rubbish.

That said and done, Keshi was still and is still Nigeria's Finest Manager ever..... even in death.

-First and Only "African" Coach to Win The CAF Coach of the Year Twice (2005 and 2013).

-First man to lift the AFCON title as "Captain" and as "Coach"..... Even Mahmoud El-Gohary was not captain when he won as a player. (I wonder why history never cites this piece of info... it's entirely unique).

- Second man after Mahmoud to win the AFCON title as Player and coach.

- Captain and leader of Africa's Best Ever Ranked Team on the Prestigious Fifa World Rankings in the History of Football..... (5th in the world.... No African team will ever attain that..... never!!! EXCEPT ANOTHER NIGERIAN TEAM.. FOR I honestly THINK THAT ONLY NIGERIA CAN MATCH THIS SAME FEAT THAT SHE SET IN 1994-95).

In other words, I dare say Keshi was captain and leader of Africa's best ever assembled team of all time. Oh yes!! quote me anywhere. wink

Note: Nigeria before Afcon 2006 were even ranked 9th in the world.

- First Black Coach to take a team beyond the first round of a FIFA World Cup Finals proper.

- First And Only Nigerian to win the AFCON or make the round of 16 in a world cup proper.

- First Black Coach to qualify two different teams for the Fifa World cup Finals (Togo for 2006 World Cup and Nigeria for 2014 World Cup).

- He qualified Nigeria for her first CHAN tournament and went on to produce memorable wins, super comebacks, and then a Bronze medal after losing on penalties to Ghana despite Nigeria being the better side but for chances missed.

- Players who debuted under Keshi and are still key players in this new era of Super Eagles Young Golden stars rising: Kenneth Omeruo, Ogenyi Onazi, Leon Balogun, Michael Babatunde, Godfrey Oboabona, Brown Ideye, Victor Moses....

- Under Keshi, some players were simply World Class e.g. Sunday MBA, Kenneth Omeruo, Onazi, etc.... that should tell us something about the legend of Keshi.... hmmm.... there is so much to say.

- He even opened the floodgates for African players to begin travelling for Football careers in Europe. He among the very first (if not the first) to leave African soil as a local player and make his way to the Belgian Pro league.

- Keshi is another name for Legend indeed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:47am On Jun 10, 2016
Hmm! I was shocked to hear the death of someone who just got appointment as a coach some few days ago to have suddenly died. Keshi don die. cry

Well, it is appointed for man to die once. Na de time don reach but he never knew it.

Hopefully, he was prepared for the judgment day. cry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:25am On Jun 10, 2016
Mickael2:

Sir, pls be informed that Leon Balogun is central Defender and not right back though he is comfortable playing in that position.

I have been following Leon Balogun since 2010 or there about. So, l know what l am talking about.

He actually started as a defensive midfielder before he was converted to central back and that was where he played before he was converted to RB by his last club.

He continued in that position in his present club but was later restored to his favourite position. Currently, he plays as a CB for his club.

Now, let me arrange from goalkeeper to attack.

Goalkeeper: Carl Ikeme
Substitute Alampasu and Daniel (Under 23 goalkeeper)

RB: Moses Odubanjo
Substitute: Tyronne Ebuehi

LB: Echijiele
Substitute: Oshaniwa

CB: Leon Balogun and Kenneth Otigba
Substitute: Kenneth Omeruo and Troost-Ekong

DMF: Mikel Obi
Substitute: Ndidi

CM: Onazi
Substitute: Raheem Lawal

AM: Alex Iwobi
Substitute: Abdul Ajagun

LW: Victor Moses
Substitute: Ahmed Musa

RW: Simon Moses
Substitute: Isaac Success or Ezekiel Imoh

Attackers/Strikers: Kelechi Iheanacho and Odion Ighalo.

The rest should brace up and fight for shirt.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (16124) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Marjoribanks and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 200
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.