Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,647 members, 7,813,173 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:11 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3997) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11625484 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3994) (3995) (3996) (3997) (3998) (3999) (4000) ... (16134) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 1:58pm On Jun 10, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

As I said, why are you dragging us back. Why are you interested in was your preferred callup in the past. World Cup is few days ahead.

you are the one dragging us back, while complain about Echiejile when we already have the 23 man list, national team sqaud is not a club football were you buy players you need, in national team you use what you have
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:00pm On Jun 10, 2018
Martz101:

you are the one dragging us back, while complain about Echiejile when we already have the 23 man list, national team sqaud is not a club football were you buy players you need, in national team you use what you have

Dragging us back by expressing my fear on the current list.

Bia, take ya time.
cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sunnypa11(m): 2:02pm On Jun 10, 2018
The best formation for the current Super Eagles is 3-5-2!
With the mentioned formation,Super Eagles held their own and looked unbreakable in the second half against a cruising English National team with some unravelled national treasures.
Francis Uzoho is a done deal for goal while expectedly, William Troost-Ekong and Leon Balogun are important to the defence line.
Joining the 'Oyinbo wall’ is a midfielder in John Ogu,It is very important to note that most of the defenders are right-footed including Kenneth Omeruo and the Israeli based Ogu is also as tall as Croatia striker,Mario Manzukic who will be an aerial threat all night.
Balogun will defend from a comfortable right side of the defence alongside a mobile Tyronne Ebuehi just as Ogu who is very calm in possession will be giving Bryan Idowu a needed assurance from the left.
Wilfred Ndidi will be winning the tackles as Oghenekaro Etebo create an industrious midfield zone to neutralize Luca Modric and Ivan Rakitic.
John Obi Mikel big game stability and experience put him in an advanced and familiar position with lesser defensive duty in yet an important position.
And there comes the mysterious dynamites leading the line together.
Kelechi Iheanacho and Alexander Iwobi both ruined Argentina together in an unimaginable manner in the most fruitful Forty-Five minute of Coach Gernot Rohr.
On display in Russia last November was pace,precised attacking passes,chemistry and top-class decision making.
The aging backline of Croatia could suffer same damage and it must be noted that Iheanacho always enjoy a companionship upfront while Iwobi is magical in freedom and the formation gives the Arsenal youngster the popular suggested advance role infront of Mikel.
SWITCH : John Ogu and Kelechi Iheanacho could both be replaced with Victor Moses and Odion Ighalo to switch back to 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 as the situation may require.

http://www.nigfooty.com/2018/06/super-eagles-most-underrated-mysterious.html

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 2:04pm On Jun 10, 2018
Please after this world cup, Rohr should make sure the back ups to Uzoho are young goalkeepers because it is illogical having an older keeper who cant displace a young Uzoho as a back up.

I want to see the likes of Okoye and Alampasu coming in as back ups to Uzoho. We should be futuristic.

17 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 2:08pm On Jun 10, 2018
jihday:
I feel he should have strength for the next World Cup, he'll be 35 by then which isn't too old for a midfielder.

i totally won't support that

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:08pm On Jun 10, 2018
Sunnypa11:
With the mentioned formation,Super Eagles held their own and looked unbreakable in the second half against a cruising English National team with some unravelled national treasures.
Francis Uzoho is a done deal for goal while expectedly, William Troost-Ekong and Leon Balogun are important to the defence line.
Joining the 'Oyinbo wall’ is a midfielder in John Ogu,It is very important to note that most of the defenders are right-footed including Kenneth Omeruo and the Israeli based Ogu is also as tall as Croatia striker,Mario Manzukic who will be an aerial threat all night.
Balogun will defend from a comfortable right side of the defence alongside a mobile Tyronne Ebuehi just as Ogu who is very calm in possession will be giving Bryan Idowu a needed assurance from the left.
Wilfred Ndidi will be winning the tackles as Oghenekaro Etebo create an industrious midfield zone to neutralize Luca Modric and Ivan Rakitic.
John Obi Mikel big game stability and experience put him in an advanced and familiar position with lesser defensive duty in yet an important position.
Kelechi Iheanacho and Alexander Iwobi both ruined Argentina together in an unimaginable manner in the most fruitful Forty-Five minute of Coach Gernot Rohr.
On display in Russia last November was pace,precised attacking passes,chemistry and top-class decision making.
The aging backline of Croatia could suffer same damage and it must be noted that Iheanacho always enjoy a companionship upfront while Iwobi is magical in freedom and the formation gives the Arsenal youngster the popular suggested advance role infront of Mikel.
SWITCH : John Ogu and Kelechi Iheanacho could both be replaced with Victor Moses and Odion Ighalo to switch back to 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 as the situation may require.

Still prefer the squad selection below. I feel Victor Moses will be formidable if given freedom to attack.

In the midfield trio, Ndidi sits, Mikel dictates while Iwobi dissects.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 2:09pm On Jun 10, 2018
Sunnypa11:

If u must play Ogu as a left Centre back, then replace Idowu with Vicmo.

Even if we played Omeruo as one of the three Centre backs so that Ogu takes up Etebo's place in the midfield, still replace idowu with Vicmo

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 2:12pm On Jun 10, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Dragging us back by expressing my fear on the current list.

Bia, take ya time.
cheesy

is true na, nobody here likes Echiejile but no other better option for now. i remember when George abey was our undisputed right back even though he was not that wonderful and plays in the 3rd or 4th league in England
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 2:14pm On Jun 10, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Still prefer the squad selection below. I feel Victor Moses will be formidable if given freedom to attack.

This formation is more feasible

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 2:16pm On Jun 10, 2018
Sunnypa11:

why start Ogu and keep Omeruo on the bench, is not necessary...this could only happen if the coach switch formation during the game and Ogu started
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sunnypa11(m): 2:21pm On Jun 10, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

The line-up laid more emphasis on team players rather than individual tricks.

From the friendlies, Victor looked exhausted and it could be a blessing for us if he starts on the bench against Croatia against a tired defence.

More so, he had a tournament to forget in 2014.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 2:24pm On Jun 10, 2018
Sunnypa11:

The line-up laid more emphasis on team players rather than individual tricks.

From the friendlies, Victor looked exhausted and it could be a blessing for us if he starts on the bench against Croatia against a tired defence.

More so, he had a tournament to forget in 2014.

Moses starting from the bench is not realistic in this team, the coach believe so much in him. moses will start against Croatia

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:27pm On Jun 10, 2018
Exactly my formation pages back in one of my two 3-5-2 formation analyses. We think alike on this as regards the 3-5-2 Sir GoodJoe. Beautiful. wink

Meanwhile, I will move Ekong central to play as the man in the middle of the back three... While Omeruo plays RCB. An Awaziem can also do a good job there at RCB too.

TheGoodJoe:

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sunnypa11(m): 2:27pm On Jun 10, 2018
Martz101:

Moses starting from the bench is not realistic in this team, the coach believe so much in him. moses will start against Croatia

I know we have a stubborn Coach but the greatest fear is having too much faith in Odion Ighalo

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:46pm On Jun 10, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Growing up in Austria and being a part of one of the best academies, if not the best academy in Austria, gave Austria the leverage to monitor Alaba. Keep in mind, Alaba also played in the age grade levels for Austria, which is another advantage.

Austria Wein does not have that popularity like academies like Arsenal, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern, Manchester United, Manchester City etc. Even teams like Atletico Madrid, PSG, Juventus have more popularity than Austria Wein. Heck, how many stars do I know that came from that academy.

So Alaba lacked the popularity growing as a player to convince us to give him a Super Eagles callup at the time Austria called him. I did not say he was Called up while in Austria Wein.

By the way, the bolded in the quote clearly States my point.

Alaba also made his debut for the Austrian National team before he played for the main team of Bayern. Not our fault in any way.

[b][/b]

Gerrit?

Stori.

Google has failed you when you thought Alaba was an Austrian Wien’s player as at the time he was capped by Austrian National team.

Stop pretending you followed his development prior to his debut for Austria national team. EOD
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:48pm On Jun 10, 2018
Nigeria's Super Eagles 30+ years old players heading to Russia 2018.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:49pm On Jun 10, 2018
forgiveness:

Stori.

Google has failed you when you thought Alaba was an Austrian Wien’s player as at the time he was capped by Austrian National team.

Stop pretending you followed his development prior to his debut for Austria national team. EOD

Thought how? Can't you read?

Alaba also made his debut for the Austrian National team before he played for the main team of Bayern. Not our fault in any way.

Does this statement in any way show I thought Alaba was at Austria Wein when he joined his National team? Ha ba.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:50pm On Jun 10, 2018
Argentina's posters making them all look like Roman Gladiators and ancient warlords... Loollll... #Fortheirmind grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:50pm On Jun 10, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

It was a slip. Wiki clearly stated that Alaba was in Bayern Munich B team when he was called up. It was a slip in writing. I[b] wonder where I claimed to follow the event that laid to the callup. That will be a bloody lie, [/b] even if you claimed so. I knew Alaba after he broke into Van Gaal's squad and that was about 2009/2010, being a Van Gaal fan. So I followed Bayern then.

When I saw Alaba, my beef was clearly with Samson Siasia then. I felt he should have earned the U20 left back role in the 2009 WYC. I later found out he was called up to the National team of Austria. So I knew Austria was well ahead of us and I can not go blaming any body.

Alaba's history is not some hidden issue. That Google will fail. His career is literally on Wiki.

Since you didn't follow, why you come dey argue with person wey know?

A pointer to the fact that you just want argue blindly. EOD
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:51pm On Jun 10, 2018
forgiveness:

Stori.

Alaba also made his debut for the Austrian National team before he played for the

[main team of Bayern].

Not our fault in any way.

Can't you read that I wrote main team of Bayern? It clearly shows I was pointing out he was already at Bayern but had not played for their main team.

Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:52pm On Jun 10, 2018
forgiveness:

Since you didn't follow, why you come dey argue with person wey know?

A pointer to the fact that you just want argue blindly. EOD

That is like saying because I did not watch Maradona during his hay days, I can not debate about it. Ha.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:54pm On Jun 10, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Alaba also made his debut for the Austrian National team before he played for the [main team of Bayern]. Not our fault in any way.

Can't you read that I wrote main team of Bayern? It clearly shows I was pointing out he was already at Bayern but had not played for their main team.

Finito.

Dey deceive yaself.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:55pm On Jun 10, 2018
forgiveness:

Dey deceive yaself.

Alaba also made his debut for the Austrian National team before he played for the

[main team of Bayern].

Not our fault in any way.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:57pm On Jun 10, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

As I said, why are you dragging us back. Why are you interested in was your preferred callup in the past. World Cup is few days ahead.

Cos you are making it seem as if Rohr made a mistake by calling up Echiejile in the first place and so I ask where is that player that you preferred over Echiejile for you to say you don't like his Call up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:00pm On Jun 10, 2018
On the Super Eagles photoshoot.... Don't know if anyone has mentioned it but take a look at Iwobi on the top far right of the pix... @first picture.

Abeg... Wetin Iwobi dey look for ground? Wetin him dey find? cheesy

@Second picture... Finally we get a good view of Alexander "the great" Iwobi... Maybe he has finally found and picked up what he was looking for and now remembered the camera... grin
But uhmmmm.. Wetin Toyin Ibitoye dey look now too? Spot him at the far right, middle row... Lol...
Ighalo also seems to be staring at something... But his is not that obvious.. wink

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:00pm On Jun 10, 2018
Icon4s:

Cos you are making it seem as if Rohr made a mistake by calling up Echiejile in the first place and so I ask where is that player that you preferred over Echiejile for you to say you don't like his Call up.

I am not satisfied with Uzoho even though I feel he is better than the pack of keepers we are going with. No coach can be hundred percent good in his selection. He has to make tough calls. Not criticising Rohr but hoping we adopt a more comprehensive formula in selecting our players.

Finito.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 3:02pm On Jun 10, 2018
Who else thinks that after Rohr’s current deal expires after the 2019 AFCON, a Nigerian should be the next manager?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 3:05pm On Jun 10, 2018
There is no need for this Alaba debate

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:07pm On Jun 10, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

If you are interested in my current stance, I can understand. I will prefer a thorough and open screening with the likes of Utin Ikouwem and the other young cat that played against Atletico Madrid. Let us see if they offer us more than Echiejile because heck, the guy has been a liability.

Before the Athletico Madrid game(which was after the list was submitted to FIFA) even you would not have included Utin Ikouwem and Ebube Duru if you were asked to make a list of 100 players for selection. So that ur point doesn't hold.

And that your "thorough and open screening" idea for WC selection is for youth level. No country does that now at senior level. How many countries even invited up to 35 players talk less of an open camp?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:08pm On Jun 10, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

I am not satisfied with Uzoho even though I feel he is better than the pack of keepers we are going with. No coach can be hundred percent good in his selection. He has to make tough calls. Not criticising Rohr but hoping we adopt a more comprehensive formula in selecting our players.

Finito.

More comprehensive formula like?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 3:11pm On Jun 10, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
English 3rd Division Side Plymouth Linked With Efe Ambrose
June 10, 2018 9:09 am

English League One (third division) side Plymouth Argyle are being linked with Nigeria international Efe Ambrose.

According to Plymouth Herald, it is believed the club turned their attention to Ambrose who plays for Scottish Premiership side Hibernian following the possible exit of defender Sonny Bradley.

Bradley announced on his Twitter account on Friday of his intention to reject the Plymouth’s offer of a new contract and find a new club for the forthcoming season.

Luton Town remain the most likely destination for Bradley, but his departure from Plymouth means manager Derek Adams will be looking to sign a new centre half.

Niall Canavan has already arrived, following his release by Rochdale, but with Ryan Edwards the only other centre back for Plymouth right now, it is an area that will need strengthening.

Ambrose, 29, joined Hibernian last summer from Scottish rivals Celtic, and he went on to make 45 appearances last season, scoring three goals.

He has a year remaining on his current contract with the Hibernian.

He was a member of the Super Eagles squad to the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/english-3rd-division-side-plymouth-linked-with-efe-ambrose/
league 1 club kai
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:12pm On Jun 10, 2018
Martz101:

You don't know TheGoodJoe.

(1) (2) (3) ... (3994) (3995) (3996) (3997) (3998) (3999) (4000) ... (16134) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: komekn(m), lovewins and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.