Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,952 members, 7,814,231 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:31 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3999) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11637129 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3996) (3997) (3998) (3999) (4000) (4001) (4002) ... (16140) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:31pm On Jun 10, 2018
No need for all that research. I have done that already and understand the details of a 3 man back line in a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 setup. I speak based on how the team have fared in the tactcial setup with the players available.

Yes Ogu was outsped... But you also saw same Welbeck one on one thru the middle with Ekong and how Ekong thwarted that danger thru the middle. If that was Balogun, we would have been fried.

Martz101:

I'm not saying we have not tried it before,but watch how ogu was out speeded by welbeck in that game, not like ekong is not good with the ball too but i believe Balogun is a better ball player than him.

in your spare time make research in how 3 man defense is set out
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:31pm On Jun 10, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Like screening a larger pool of players and selecting the best squad from them.

Tell me something new abeg.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jun 10, 2018
Brazil is over there doing some doga at Austria embarassed embarassed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:38pm On Jun 10, 2018
Petrobros:

An excellent tactical analysis. One of the best and most practicable I have seen here.

But let me make one comment that may not go down well with some of us here.

I know some of us here are super analysts but We should stop giving our opponents possible Rohr's tactical plans. Icon4s listing certain players as our key strength can be picked and worked upon by our opponents, even though they may know them already.

Sir, you never know, you may just have exposed Rohr's tactics here. The world is a global village. Look at the number of guests always viewing this thread. There may be Croats, Icelanders and Argentines amongst them.

Nobody gets a prize for predicting the formation and tactics correctly abeg.

My 2kobo.

Haha, oga nothing to worry.

Football is not played on paper. This is just paper work. After all our other group opponents will still get to know Rohr's tactics after the first game.

If the other 31 teams like make dem send their spies here. We will give them seats in the house.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nedville: 4:39pm On Jun 10, 2018
Sunnypa11:
The best formation for the current Super Eagles is 3-5-2!
With the mentioned formation,Super Eagles held their own and looked unbreakable in the second half against a cruising English National team with some unravelled national treasures.
Francis Uzoho is a done deal for goal while expectedly, William Troost-Ekong and Leon Balogun are important to the defence line.
Joining the 'Oyinbo wall’ is a midfielder in John Ogu,It is very important to note that most of the defenders are right-footed including Kenneth Omeruo and the Israeli based Ogu is also as tall as Croatia striker,Mario Manzukic who will be an aerial threat all night.
Balogun will defend from a comfortable right side of the defence alongside a mobile Tyronne Ebuehi just as Ogu who is very calm in possession will be giving Bryan Idowu a needed assurance from the left.
Wilfred Ndidi will be winning the tackles as Oghenekaro Etebo create an industrious midfield zone to neutralize Luca Modric and Ivan Rakitic.
John Obi Mikel big game stability and experience put him in an advanced and familiar position with lesser defensive duty in yet an important position.
And there comes the mysterious dynamites leading the line together.
Kelechi Iheanacho and Alexander Iwobi both ruined Argentina together in an unimaginable manner in the most fruitful Forty-Five minute of Coach Gernot Rohr.
On display in Russia last November was pace,precised attacking passes,chemistry and top-class decision making.
The aging backline of Croatia could suffer same damage and it must be noted that Iheanacho always enjoy a companionship upfront while Iwobi is magical in freedom and the formation gives the Arsenal youngster the popular suggested advance role infront of Mikel.
SWITCH : John Ogu and Kelechi Iheanacho could both be replaced with Victor Moses and Odion Ighalo to switch back to 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 as the situation may require.

http://www.nigfooty.com/2018/06/super-eagles-most-underrated-mysterious.html

I slightly prefer this line up to the others because of two things

1) Croatia and Argentina are going to see more of the ball.
This is certainly bound to happen...our midfielders will look to try and nullify their efforts and block their final passes. However, Croatia will still have more ball possession
If we play just Mikel and ndidi, ndidi will be overworked as Mikel does not have the legs and energy to mark the Croatian midfielders when we don't have the ball. Ndidi will be forced to do a lot of work and he may be exposed...he can't be everywhere
With etebo in the field, ndidi will have support which he got from onazi during the qualifiers, while the workload for Mikel will be reduced

2) for the LCB, the only reason ogu makes it ahead of omeruo or awaziem is because of his height and his stronger left foot. Yes, he is slow but he brings balance to the back three on the left side. Had it been idowu was left footed, omeruo or awaziem would be a sure bet to start. But 2 right footed defenders on the left side of defence wouldn't strike a good balance there....so there we go

3) finally, moses does not make the team because he cannot be trusted...he suddenly feels like the neymar of Nigeria not knowing he is more of a raheem sterling... He does not strike me as a team player and would likely not contribute to defensive duties when things are getting tough..if he can change this, he is definitely a starter in the team, but if he keeps this up, he cannot be trusted and should be benched. He may then be good to unleash against the tired defenders later in the game.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 4:40pm On Jun 10, 2018
Icon4s:

I don't trust any system that is not tested and tried.

You cannot be proposing 3-5-2 during our WC qualifiers when there were no friendlies to test the formation and also considering that the players only had 4-5 days of Camping.

The team has been together for weeks now, they have tested the formation in friendly games. They have identified which players can function well when it is adopted so? What next? One week close camping before kick off will also be good enough time to better perfect this strategy.

We need a robust midfield to outwit Croatia and the 3-5-2 offers just that.
I agree with you on this....
well explained..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jun 10, 2018
krattoss:
Brazil is over there doing some doga at Austria embarassed embarassed

I am watching the game as well. I equally watched France last night. These teams are top notch.

Do you notice how these players pop up to a pass? When a team member is with the ball, about 2 or 3 players pop up near him for a pass. And this keeps the passing game moving till they create an opening in the opponent's line.

This is not so in our case. I don't know what Rohr's tactics are but only Iwobi on our team pops up for passes. Others stand still. This makes our passing game ineffective.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nedville: 4:44pm On Jun 10, 2018
Icon4s:
For our participation in the WC, these should be our 5 most influential players:
Alex Iwobi, Victor Moses, Mikel Obi, Kelechi Iheanacho and Wilfred Ndidi.

If up to 4 out of these 5 players can bring in their "A" game we will hit Croatia very hard.

I know Rohr is not so comfortable with starting with a 3-5-2 formation. But I think he has experimented with it well enough to have known the suitability of this pattern.

I suggest Rohr should go for it.

I initially suggested an Iwobi-Iheanacho front line but after certain considerations I switch to a Moses-Iheanacho front line.

Victor Moses: I know he may not be in the good books of many now due to his performances from the last 2 friendlies. But we know why. The break Rohr gave to him. At least his better performance against Czech shows he is getting back the flow of the Rhythm. Moses we all know throws discipline away when he wears the National team jerseys but we know how many goals he has scored from such selfish moves. Most of the goals he scored in the qualfiers were from his selfish runs. Same again against Poland.
Moses can be a deadly weapon for us when he brings his "A" game.

My starting line up against Croatia: 3-5-2.

................Uzoho

.....Omeruo..Ekong.. Balogun

Ebuehi..Mikel(CM)..Ndidi(DM)..Idowu
......................Iwobi(AM)

..............Iheanacho... Moses

Ndidi should be made to sit in front of the 3CBs and then Mikel the CM and Iwobi the AM. Iwobi and Mikel can intermittently switch positions in the middle.

Moses MUST be drilled to work with Iheanacho, Iwobi, Mikel and Idowu for him to function effectively in that position. Moses and Iheanacho are pacy players which is what we need to outwit the Croatian midfield including the excellent passing abilities of Mikel and Iwobi.

Mikel and Ndidi including the RCB and LCB should do well to cover for Ebuehi and Idowu when they make the forward runs.

With excellent tactical discipline and Luck too we can crack Croatia with this formation.

To be honest....this is the line up I will prefer against iceland....because we are likely to see more of the ball in that game
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 4:46pm On Jun 10, 2018
Martz101:

who are the better players in the left back position

please don't let us go farther...I will even pick Joel,ogu,awaziem ahead of elderson when it comes to the LB role....

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:50pm On Jun 10, 2018
Nedville:

To be honest....this is the line up I will prefer against iceland....because we are likely to see more of the ball in that game

What of against Croatia?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:51pm On Jun 10, 2018
Idowu was only poor against Czech because of his finals balls — balls he should have crossed or passed . His link up play was pretty good — an aspect VicMo refuses to give

ChrisKels:

If u must play Ogu as a left Centre back, then replace Idowu with Vicmo.

Even if we played Omeruo as one of the three Centre backs so that Ogu takes up Etebo's place in the midfield, still replace idowu with Vicmo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eleniyan15: 4:53pm On Jun 10, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Still prefer the squad selection below. I feel Victor Moses will be formidable if given freedom to attack.

In the midfield trio, Ndidi sits, Mikel dictates while Iwobi dissects.

Good one, Ndidi and Mikel partner together is a bomb
But i prefer moses replacing idowu why Ighalo and Ihenacho lead us, they're both deadly& Good killer instinct when they face goal keeper always ready to shot compare to vicmo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jun 10, 2018
Unicorn97:

I am watching the game as well. I equally watched France last night. These teams are top notch.

Do you notice how these players pop up to a pass? When a team member is with the ball, about 2 or 3 players pop up near him for a pass. And this keeps the passing game moving till they create an opening in the opponent's line.

This is not so in our case. I don't know what Rohr's tactics are but only Iwobi on our team pops up for passes. Others stand still. This makes our passing game ineffective.
those guys re born to ball believe u me.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:54pm On Jun 10, 2018
I think it’s because of the need for balance considering Idowu is not left-footed. But it can present a whole new problem
Martz101:

why start Ogu and keep Omeruo on the bench, is not necessary...this could only happen if the coach switch formation during the game and Ogu started
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nedville: 4:54pm On Jun 10, 2018
Icon4s:

What of against Croatia?

I mentioned my line up against Croatia....and reasons why those players were picked
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:55pm On Jun 10, 2018
Nedville:

I mentioned my line up against Croatia....and reasons why those players were picked

Sorry, I didn't see it. What page please?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kabrudrapist: 4:55pm On Jun 10, 2018
Icon79:
Good point right there, my friend! If I have access to Gernot Rohr, my best advise to him would be to sit Victor Moses down and talk some sense into him. VicMo could be the key to how far we'd go in Russia, if he could play for the team and with the team instead of playing for himself.

All in all, I still believe in this team. Something tells me that they would step up and get it right once the first whistle is blown.

O pari

It seems that rohr doesn't exert control on these players. At times i have this feeling that they don't play to instructions.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nedville: 4:56pm On Jun 10, 2018
You can read it above
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eleniyan15: 4:58pm On Jun 10, 2018
Nedville:

This is certainly bound to happen...our midfielders will look to try and nullify their efforts and block their final passes. However, Croatia will still have more ball possession
If we play just Mikel and ndidi, ndidi will be overworked as Mikel does not have the legs and energy to mark the Croatian midfielders when we don't have the ball. Ndidi will be forced to do a lot of work and he may be exposed...he can't be everywhere
With etebo in the field, ndidi will have support which he got from onazi during the qualifiers, while the workload for Mikel will be reduced

2) for the LCB, the only reason ogu makes it ahead of omeruo or awaziem is because of his height and his stronger left foot. Yes, he is slow but he brings balance to the back three on the left side. Had it been idowu was left footed, omeruo or awaziem would be a sure bet to start. But 2 right footed defenders on the left side of defence wouldn't strike a good balance there....so there we go

3) finally, moses does not make the team because he cannot be trusted...he suddenly feels like the neymar of Nigeria not knowing he is more of a raheem sterling... He does not strike me as a team player and would likely not contribute to defensive duties when things are getting tough..if he can change this, he is definitely a starter in the team, but if he keeps this up, he cannot be trusted and should be benched. He may then be good to unleash against the tired defenders later in the game.

I agree with your number 1, Etebo can coming to replace mikel in 60th min but it all depend on the scoreline

Number 2, moses should play LWB
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nedville: 5:03pm On Jun 10, 2018
Thanks icon

I'm okay with a midfield of ndidi Mikel and iwobi....I just chose the trio of ndidi etebo and Mikel...because it seems etebo is more willing to assist in doing the dirty work and tracking back to check the runs of Croatian midfield, something iwobi may not be comfortable doing

But if iwobi is willing to assist in falling back and helping to defend....then lovely, he would be my preferred pick
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 5:06pm On Jun 10, 2018
Joebie:
Idowu was only poor against Czech because of his finals balls — balls he should have crossed or passed . His link up play was pretty good — an aspect VicMo refuses to give

That's the aspect of his game he needs to work on. Aside that, Idowu did well.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jun 10, 2018
Vivi pop How do you intend to catch up with all the games while at work?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nedville: 5:18pm On Jun 10, 2018
Eleniyan15:

I agree with your number 1, Etebo can coming to replace mikel in 60th min but it all depend on the scoreline

My scenario involves both Mikel and etebo starting the match...with iwobi partnering iheanacho...in a way, moses is clumsy with the ball like raheem sterling...plus iwobi somehow performs better for naija than..let's say...arsenal...the guy reminds me of Thomas Muller... Good for Bayern...but better for Germany...

As for number 2, moses will still face the same problem idowu is facing, this is also the reason aina didn't make the squad...there is no jordi-alba kind of player in the team...when moses gets to the byline, he would want to cut and cross on his favorite right foot, something the opposing defender will pick up. Its the reason why Ashley young struggles as left back with england

Irrespective of whatever happens, the search for a good left footed left back, home based or foreign, should begin after the world cup ASAP

There is a reason why Chelsea fans will prefer to see Alonso as a left back rather than azpilicueta. Your favourite foot will always be your favourite foot
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:23pm On Jun 10, 2018
Lokosa scores again. In other news, water is wet.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:29pm On Jun 10, 2018
Nedville:

Do an arrangement of the team's setup let's see.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:34pm On Jun 10, 2018
Eleniyan15:

Some of these proposed substitutions though. Must Mikel be substituted? Even going as far indicating the exact time of the substitution.

Secondly Moses is not likely to play LWB.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eleniyan15: 5:35pm On Jun 10, 2018
Nedville:

My scenario involves both Mikel and etebo starting the match...with iwobi partnering iheanacho...in a way, moses is clumsy with the ball like raheem sterling...plus iwobi somehow performs better for naija than..let's say...arsenal...the guy reminds me of Thomas Muller... Good for Bayern...but better for Germany...

As for number 2, moses will still face the same problem idowu is facing, this is also the reason aina didn't make the squad...there is no jordi-alba kind of player in the team...when moses gets to the byline, he would want to cut and cross on his favorite right foot, something the opposing defender will pick up. Its the reason why Ashley young struggles as left back with england

Irrespective of whatever happens, the search for a good left footed left back, home based or foreign, should begin after the world cup ASAP

There is a reason why Chelsea fans will prefer to see Alonso as a left back rather than azpilicueta. Your favourite foot will always be your favourite foot

I agree with your second motion but the first one i don't see it happening for now but let see how things develop this is football anything can happen
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eleniyan15: 5:40pm On Jun 10, 2018
Icon4s:

Some of these proposed substitutions though. Must Mikel be substituted? Even going as far indicating the exact time of the substitution.

Secondly Moses is not likely to play LWB.

Because that when you see mikel exhausted already more else like a minus 1 when defending and if you pay attention mikel tend to hold onto the ball extra,lol.

I think rohr would surely have headache with starting line up, no one should blame him if he doesn't start our preferred player but ebuehi must start oo that boy keeps giving me joy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eleniyan15: 5:41pm On Jun 10, 2018
kabrudrapist:

It seems that rohr doesn't exert control on these players. At times i have this feeling that they don't play to instructions.

His always standing, even friendly games no rest of mind grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:58pm On Jun 10, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Like screening a larger pool of players and selecting the best squad from them.
This your idea is outdated. Life moves at a fast pace now. People try to make the best within short time. What's with inviting large pool? Who has that time? Baba Icon4s has told you that no Country even invited 35 players.

Like it has been said such an idea can work for youth football but not for the highest grade of national team football. Heck, even 3wks from the close of the season to the start of action for the World Cup is not enough but you still pushing the same idea. Time has overtaken such an idea. It cannot work or rather it is not the most practical thing to do nowadays

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:58pm On Jun 10, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

The Villareal B team is very talented but u can tell he stands head and shoulder above everyone of them. From wat I have been seeing lately the boy is ready for the SE but i believe we have enough talent that can afford him the time of going to the U20 wc before making the main team.

I don't think he is ready for the SE. He should make the main Villareal team or a team in la Liga before he should be considered for the SE. This is because Segunda B division is the 3rd tier of la Liga and I can give you many Nigerian players who performed magic in that league but could not make it to the top due to some factors, and even when they made a step or two steps up couldn't perform.

Forget! This is just a league for feeder teams. Hope his team gain promotion to the Secunda division and he gets to perform there too.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by rainbow333(m): 6:06pm On Jun 10, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79QJLRe4a4E

*IMSU STUDENTS HAVE COME AGAIN* ooo � �
I can't believe that some imsu students don't know how to answer questions
watch to find out the question
Plz Watch & Share BUT Don't Forget To Subscribe for more funny videos � Its Free���

(1) (2) (3) ... (3996) (3997) (3998) (3999) (4000) (4001) (4002) ... (16140) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: forgiveness, zicky(m), mkrest(m), Philosopher1979, Bbdot(m) and 13 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.