Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,115 members, 7,811,134 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:00 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4007) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11602905 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4004) (4005) (4006) (4007) (4008) (4009) (4010) ... (16123) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:15pm On Jun 11, 2018
Amen!

By the way, Oasis007, you can join my prayer warriors world cup squad as well. They already did a good job in ensuring our qualification for the world cup, but their job isn't complete yet.

O pari

Oasis007:
I won't drop Lineup/Formation again, kinda tired of guessing what the Lineup will be. I ain't Rohr, I just hope he plays the right Formation, Tactics and selects the right Lineup.

Meanwhile...... I believe Eagles will win the first Match and qualify to the Round of 16.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:22pm On Jun 11, 2018
Dr Klever, I actually like that your formation. I will try it myself, if I were Gernot Rohr.

That's a really balanced team!

O pari

DrKlever:
This is still my best formation. if and only if V Moses brings out his A game and play with his team mates, else he should either sit on the bench or play LWB.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:25pm On Jun 11, 2018
Ronaldo (the real Ronaldo): 2002

O pari

Icon4s:

You dey find page 4000 abi?

Well,

Diego Maradona: 1986

Zinadine Zidane: 1998.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ykalhaji(m): 2:28pm On Jun 11, 2018
Are the boys enroute already ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:39pm On Jun 11, 2018
solonnachi and charlesemeka85: thank you both! These are the kinda things I would prefer tat we focus on instead of nitpicking on the players who are not going to Russia. I mean, the Russia bus has already left the station grin

Meanwhile, if we can stay organized and don't take any panicky fire brigade action of sacking the coach after the world cup; I sincerely believe that Nigeria would go far in the 2022 World Cup. We have several good young players and Gernot Rohr has the organizational skills to incorporate them into the team. Like I had said a few times before, this world cup is coming up a few months too early for us. If the AFCON were to be held this year and the World Cup next year, I can bet you bet you a top dollar that Nigeria would reach the semi finals of the World Cup.

O pari

charlesemeka85:
also fred onyedimma, domininc iorfa jnr,taiwo awoniyi,ikouwem. lakosa should be excluded abeg grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 2:44pm On Jun 11, 2018
safarigirl:
very silly thing to do.....na so dem dey end up broke and jobless and begging for money in their 50's

It is nothing but ignorance that is borne out of lack of exposure and common wisdom.
Firstly ,your mother don't need such type of expensive gift that will cost so much to maintain and you don't need to buy her a Porsche just to prove your love. A brand new 504 Peugeot is a better gift than a second hand Porsche that will cost a leg just to change the head light.

Chikeluba Ofoedu I am sure is in his 30s....He better save his money and invest because I know Turkish league doesn't pay too well.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ykalhaji(m): 2:58pm On Jun 11, 2018
Icon79:
solonnachi and charlesemeka85: thank you both! These are the kinda things I would prefer tat we focus on instead of nitpicking on the players who are not going to Russia. I mean, the Russia bus has already left the station grin

Meanwhile, if we can stay organized and don't take any panicky fire brigade action of sacking the coach after the world cup; I sincerely believe that Nigeria would go far in the 2022 World Cup. We have several good young players and Gernot Rohr has the organizational skills to incorporate them into the team. Like I had said a few times before, this world cup is coming up a few months too early for us. If the AFCON were to be held this year and the World Cup next year, I can bet you bet you a top dollar that Nigeria would reach the semi finals of the World Cup.

O pari

Semifinal is possible depends on the luck of our route there. I have a sinking feeling we will play France again for our 2nd round though, if we can avoid that, we have a chance to progress further than we have ever done (except in France 98 when we played and lost to Denmark on our way to playing Brazil in the quarters.

Omo if we take 2nd place in our group, we will then have to play the first 2nd round game of the tournament and that will put too much pressure on us(we would not want to be the first to "ja"(commot) in the 2nd round stages).

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MrCuteking(m): 3:07pm On Jun 11, 2018
Hello everyone. There is this guy on nairaland, facebook, twitter and every other social media.
His name is

Makinde Samuel
and his account number is

He shares and SCAMS people a lot about data subscription, in quote:

“ GLOBATECH DIGITAL NETWORK PACKAGES

Get the cheapest and most durable data plan from a reliable seller with 24/7 customer service with high prestige and confidence

MYN DATA BUNDLE
3GB : #1200

7GB : #2500

14GB: #3500.

And so on

More so, he decieves others that he sells GOTV and DSTV credit and subscription at an affordable price.

Please I was scammed so I’d love you guys to beware of this guy or anyone who gives you mouth watering subscription, be it airtime, or dstv.

I credited his account while I was decieved to pay into his ccount before getting the airtime.

Shortly after he got the money, he blocked my line on Whatsapp and no longer picks my call.
BEWARE ! BEWARE!! BEWARE!!!

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 3:09pm On Jun 11, 2018
Etebo signs for Stoke. Poor move imo. Should've waited till after the World Cup

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:12pm On Jun 11, 2018
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 3:13pm On Jun 11, 2018
edi287:
That's risky o to wait after world cup, good move for etebo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:15pm On Jun 11, 2018
Alaba: I Would Have Loved To Play For Nigeria
June 11, 2018 1:17 pm

Bayern Munich of Germany and Austria international defender David has revealed exclusively to Complete Sports that he loves Nigeria and would have loved to play for the Super Eagles but for circumstances beyond his control.

Alaba, of Nigerian parentage, was born in Austria and capped at U-17 level by the European country when he was barely 15.
However he has not forgotten his Nigerian root as he went to the Super Eagles Pre-World Cup training camp in Bad Tatzmanndsdorf, Austria over the weekend to wish the Nigerian team well on their way to the World Cup in Russia.

“I love Nigeria and I would have been happy to play for the country. However, I was spotted by Austria at a very early age and I was guided to play for them. So it was not that I choose one [country] over the other,” he told Complete Sports.

Alaba, a six-time Austrian Footballer of the Year who also holds the record for being the youngest player to be capped by Austria, is a lover of Nigerian food and music with Wizkid being his favourite musician among many others.

The 25-year old was born to a Nigerian father from Ogere Remo in Ogun State and a Filipino mother.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/alaba-i-would-have-loved-to-play-for-nigeria/

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:18pm On Jun 11, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Why should it not be possible for a Nigerian boy to represent Nigeria? Do u think Alaba happened by magic? By the time he came he was already well known in Europe as a top prospect. The fact is that we made a major error in judgment, we should have at least given him a chance to prove himself. He was given to us on a platter of gold that is the real sickening part to me.

Leave goodjoe made em dey deceive emselve.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:20pm On Jun 11, 2018
Onyekuru: I Won’t Return To Anderlecht, Eagles Will Soar In Russia
1 June 11, 2018 9:35 am
By Johnny Edward:
Everton’s on-loan star at Belgium side Anderlecht Henry Onyekuru will not be playing in the Belgian Pro League next season, Completesportsnigeria.com can exclusively report.
Onyekuru told only CSN that he is considering offers from Germany, Spain and England intsead.
The 21 year old scored 39 goals in in three seasons playing for Eupen and Anderlecht.
“One thing I can tell you for sure is that I won’t be playing in Belgium next season,” the 20-year-old forward told CSN exclusively.
“There are offers from top clubs in Germany, Spain and in England but that depends on my work permit, we know how difficult that is.”
The former Eupen striker also backed the Super Eagles to come good when the 2018 FIFA World Cup kicks off this Thursday in Russia.
“The friendlies should be used to correct errors in the team and also get solution to problems noticed.”
“Many expected so much from them but they didn’t do well in the friendlies but trust me I know these players, I have trained with them, I am confident that they will raise their game on Saturday against Croatia to win.”

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/onyekuru-i-wont-return-to-anderletch/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:20pm On Jun 11, 2018
edi287:
Maybe they made an offer he could not refuse. Also, Stoke might have other targets who they could sign hence, the offer might not be on the table after world cup.
Also, playing in the world cup can go both ways, he can have a bad tournament or get injured, he may as well be a revelation thereby increasing his market value.
Stoke took a chance on him and he took a chance on Stoke. Hopefully, it will be a win-win situation for everyone.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 3:23pm On Jun 11, 2018
edi287:

I just don't know what to say about this move. Stoke might regain their top-flight status next season and they might as well, plunge into the league 1 from the championship like Sunderland but all the same, the championship with stoke I guess is a cool place for auditioning for the EPL.

My 2cent

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by teeezy00: 3:23pm On Jun 11, 2018
The attire

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:26pm On Jun 11, 2018
Rohr Set To Make Super Eagles Play 3-5-2 Vs Croatia

Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr is torn between deploying a 3-5-2 and a 4-3-3 formation when his side take on Croatia in their opening group game at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

The German, 64, has been trying out th​is two formations in their training
sessions in Austria but he seems to prefer a 3-5-2 as it offers the team more solidity at the back,​ a camp source revealed to CSN.

Hapoel Beer-Sheva midfielder John Ogu has been deployed as one of the three defenders alongside William Troost-Ekong and Leon Balogun in a 3-5-2 formation in the team’s last two training games.

In midfield, Wilfred Ndidi, Mikel Obi and Alex Iwobi were flanked by wing-backs Tyronne Ebuehi and Bryan Idowu.

In attack Victor Moses played off Odion Ighalo.

The Super Eagles were much more solid playing in a 3-5-2 formation in the second halves of their defeats to England and Czech Republic.

“He (Rohr) has been trying out several systems in training but we don’t know which one he will settle for,” the camp source told CSN.

“But he has laid more emphasis on it (3-5-2) so well. But its either the 3-5-2 or he reverts to a 4-3-3.”

Nigeria are drawn alongside Croatia, Iceland and Argentina at the Russia 2018 World Cup.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/rohr-set-to-make-super-eagles-play-3-5-2-vs-croatia/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 3:26pm On Jun 11, 2018
teeezy00:
The attire

Y rohr dey always dey different grin

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jun 11, 2018
edi287:
poor move? undecided
Abeg no talk that twice angry angry

Common guys can't wait for the EPL babh cheesy wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jun 11, 2018
ChrisKels:

I just don't know what to say about this move. Stoke might regain their top-flight status next season and they might as well, plunge into the league 1 from the championship like Sunderland but all the same, the championship with stoke I guess is a cool place for auditioning for the EPL.

My 2cent
damn it.. I forgot Stoke is on championship embarassed embarassed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:29pm On Jun 11, 2018
Yup. Semi finals is very possible but not this time. This time, due to the luck of the draw (group of death) and our goalkeeping problems, I don't expect anything better than a round of 16 performance. And that would be a big achievement. Because if we come second in our group, we may most likely France in the round of 16 - an uphill task!

However, if the NFF has the common sense to keep Rohr in charge, with his organization and foresight, I will expect us to do very well in 2022. Semi finals isn't an unimaginable goal either. After all, Ghana was on their way to making the semi finals in 2010 if not for Luis Suarez's hand ball in the last minute of the extra time!

O pari

ykalhaji:

Semifinal is possible depends on the luck of our route there. I have a sinking feeling we will play France again for our 2nd round though, if we can avoid that, we have a chance to progress further than we have ever done (except in France 98 when we played and lost to Denmark on our way to playing Brazil in the quarters.

Omo if we take 2nd place in our group, we will then have to play the first 2nd round game of the tournament and that will put too much pressure on us(we would not want to be the first to "ja"(commot) in the 2nd round stages).

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:29pm On Jun 11, 2018
etebo moving to stoke is a good one

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 3:31pm On Jun 11, 2018
goldfish80:

Maybe they made an offer he could not refuse. Also, Stoke might have other targets who they could sign hence, the offer might not be on the table after world cup.
Also, playing in the world cup can go both ways, he could have a bad tournament or get injured, he may as well be a revelation thereby increasing his market value.
Stoke took a chance on him and he took a chance on Stoke. Hopefully, it will be a win-win situation for everyone.
Yeah probably. Apparently he rejected moves to Bundesliga sides for them.
I'm just not sure if Stoke can bounce back up straight away. They've been very poor in the transfer market and aren't as organized as before.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:31pm On Jun 11, 2018
Influential GQ Magazine Votes Super Eagles Jersey Best In Russia 2018
June 11, 2018 8:42 am

If the design and quality of a team’s jersey is an indication of how far it will go in a competition, then it will be safe to assume that Nigeria should bring the 2018 FIFA World Cup back home after top international magazine GQ voted the Super Eagles strip as the best of the 32 teams in Russia for the World Cup kicking off on June 14.

GQ, first published 87 years ago, is a New York based magazine which focuses on fashion, style, and culture for men, though articles on food, movies, fitness, sex, music, travel, sports, technology, and books are also featured.

In its ratings of all 32 teams, the magazine said of Nigeria’s second strip: “ Nigeria’s offering for the 2018 Cup is eccentric and off-the-wall in the best possible way. The heady mixture of cool green, white, and black evoke sensations of spearmint gum, while the blurred chevrons ooze cool. The bad news? It’s already sold out in the UK.”

The Super Eagles’ group D foes Croatia and Argentina come in second and third place while Peru and five-time World Cup winners Brazil make up the top five.

Africa’s four other representatives Egypt came in at 16th position, Tunisia were voted 24th best, Morocco 25th while Senegal were rated as the worst having come in at 32nd.

World Cup defending Champions and 2018 favourites Germany are rated 14th, two places behind France in 12th and a spot ahead of the Three Lions of England in 15th position.

GQ is published in Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Latin America, Mexico, Portugal, Romania, Russia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, and the United States.

It is the second time the Super Eagles World Cup home strip will be voted the best of the lot after influential UK-based
Mirror also gave it the nod last February
Meanwhile, in the battle of the brands, German kits manufacturing giants Adidas came tops having kitted 12 of the countries at the World Cup. Rivals Nike come closely in second place with 10 teams including Nigeria’s Super Eagles and Brazil while Puma will kit four teams.

American firm New Balance will provide equipment for Costa Rica and Panama, Italian Errea are kitting Iceland and England’s Umbro will kit Peru. Unisport are Tunisia’s providers while Hummel will kit Denmark.

THE FULL RATINGS
1. Nigeria
2. Croatia
3. Argentina
4. Peru
5. Brazil
6. Japan
7. Portugal
8. Sweden
9. Iceland
10. Belgium
11. Poland
12. France
13. Saudi Arabia
14. Germany
15. England
16. Egypt
17. Serbia
18. Mexico
19. Costa Rica
20. Iran
21. Denmark
22. Russia
23. South Korea
24. Tunisia
25. Morocco
26. Uruguay
27. Switzerland
28. Australia
29. Colombia
30. Spain
31. Panama
32. Senegal

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 3:32pm On Jun 11, 2018
krattoss:
poor move? undecided
Abeg no talk that twice angry angry

Common guys can't wait for the EPL babh cheesy wink
Championship you mean
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:34pm On Jun 11, 2018
Extremely poor move. Joining a relegated team that is unlikely to gain promotion next year. He should've waited until after the World Cup to see what's out there. Patience is virtue.

I don't know who's advising these guys!

O pari

edi287:

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 3:35pm On Jun 11, 2018
ChrisKels:

My 2cent
You have a point sha. I think it all came down to money. Bundesliga sides were after him too.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:35pm On Jun 11, 2018
How is praying to outwit someone else who is supposedly your brother or sister in Christ even scriptural? Not with the Almighty God though. Of course there are many gods.

Humility017:

should that stop me from praying for the super eagles?
what's my business with others saying same prayers?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 3:35pm On Jun 11, 2018
Icon79:
Extremely poor move. Joining a relegated team that is unlikely to gain promotion next year. He should've waited until after the World Cup to see what's out there. Patience is virtue.

I don't know who's advising these guys!

O pari

Money talks...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 3:37pm On Jun 11, 2018
All the stories and pictures i wanted to post are already here una dey sleep for nairaland ni grin

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Naughtytboy: 3:37pm On Jun 11, 2018
charlesemeka85:
etebo moving to stoke is a good one
a very bad one he should have waited,, championship isn't easy bro

(1) (2) (3) ... (4004) (4005) (4006) (4007) (4008) (4009) (4010) ... (16123) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Cecco90 and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.