Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,127 members, 7,811,178 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:23 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4026) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11603985 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4023) (4024) (4025) (4026) (4027) (4028) (4029) ... (16124) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Neimar: 9:42pm On Jun 12, 2018
bench warmer iwobi nd iheanacho below average playerz like ighalo, musa na dese low class attackers naija wan take win worldcup?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:43pm On Jun 12, 2018
komekn:

From a relegated Stoke that's lookin at thier budget, even with the parachute money. Etebo is untested unproven and short it is more of a risk for Stoke.

Has Etebo married a Portuguese wife or possibly got EU citizenship via Portugal ? Wondered how he got round the work permit rules.

Think he satisfies the 75 percent of games requirement easily.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:49pm On Jun 12, 2018
Who can name the five players missing from this group photoshoot at the Essentuki arena in Russia; venue of the Super Eagles' training base?

cheesy

You may not notice it but there are only 18 members of the official 23-man list here in this photo in that dressing room at the Essentuki training arena.

So who nails it first? Lol

Note: I have my answers already. wink

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 9:50pm On Jun 12, 2018
forgiveness:

Nigeria to disappoint, Morocco and Senegal to progress: How will the African teams fare in Russia?

With two days to go until the World Cup starts, we take a look at how the African nations will get on.

by Salim Masoud Said Jun 12, 2018

Reuters/John Sibley

With FIFA extending the African quota for the 2018 World Cup, there will be five teams from the Confederation of African Football heading to Russia when the finals begin in June.

In Brazil in 2014, both Nigeria and Algeria made it through the group stages and into the Round of 16 where they lost to France and Germany respectively.

This time around, a repeat performance would represent a good World Cup for the African nations. But how well will they fare in Russia?

We look at each African side and assess their chances ahead of the tournament’s opening this week.

Egypt

In case you didn’t know, Egypt’s fortunes hinge on the recovery of Mohamed Salah.

With an entire system built around countering with the Liverpool attacker’s pace and clinical conversion, Sergio Ramos has inadvertently destroyed coach Hector Cuper’s only plan.

Fortunately for Egypt, though, they have been placed in the kindest group when compared with the other African nations at the tournament.

Added to this – and unlike their African counterparts – they are also proudly defensive under Cuper and play a brand of risk-averse football that could pay dividends in tournament football.

The only nagging issues is the question of who will now score goals on the break for Egypt. With only one recognised striker in the squad, the subpar Marwan Mohsen, the warm-up friendlies have laid the Salah problem bare.

Prediction: Group stage exit. The Pharaohs are not brimming with confidence and it’ll be a miracle if Salah is at his optimum best by the start of the tournament.

Nigeria

The pre-World Cup friendlies have raised more questions about Nigeria than provided answers.

Gernot Rohr appears to be experimenting with a new 3-5-2 formation that he could potentially unveil for the first time in a competitive action in the opening game against Croatia.

The importance of that first game can’t be overstated. It does look like Nigeria will need those sorts of marginal gains to overcome a Croatia team with great chemistry and world class players in its midfield.

Indeed, all the teams in Group D are ranked above Nigeria in the FIFA rankings. The Super Eagles also have issues in critical positions, namely goalkeeper and striker.

The unintimidating history of Croatia and Iceland in the tournament give Nigeria hope but they will really have to overperform to progress to the second round.

Prediction: Group stage exit. They have the potential to defy expectations but they have major issues hanging over them heading into the tournament.

Morocco

The most in-form African side and, judged by his CV since the turn of the decade, the best coach of an African team at the tournament in Tyrone Lannister doppelgänger Herve Renard, Morocco could be one of the surprise packages of the tournament. Renard, the mastermind of miracles in Africa, gives Morocco hope to set themselves free.

Morocco’s style of football and high pressing can leave opponents dazed and confused and, for the last 18 months, it has made them just that. Yet the question remains: can they sustain such intensity against an ultra-technical side like Spain?

It’s one thing doing it in Africa against the hapless likes of Mali and Gabon in front of a baying home crowd, quite another doing it again two of the most astutely coached sides under the floodlights of the World Cup.

There is a danger they could worry too much about Spain and Portugal. First, they have to overcome a well-drilled Iran, probably by taking the game to them, before they look to slay the big beasts in the group.

The versatility of Morocco’s personnel means they should be able to be reactive and proactive.

Prediction: Second round. Slaying Spain is a tough task, slaying Portugal is a more realistic one given their form and the track record of their coach.

Senegal

The Teranga Lions now seem like a team. This may sound like a trite statement to make but that that’s because the core of their problems recently can be traced to getting the basics wrong.

A tactically solid coach would be able squeeze more out of this group of players in key moments that require tactical curveballs. However, they might struggle to reproduce the avuncular manner of Aliou Cisse that has galvanised the squad.

Cisse will look to the spine of this team to activate the target of reaching the second round. Napoli’s towering centre-back Kalidou Koulibaly will set the tone at the back.

An aggressive, dogged midfield that includes Idrissa Gueye and Cheikhou Kouyate will be difficult to play against. Senegal also have one of the tournament’s glittering individuals in Sadio Mane and he will be their main source of creativity, especially in a team that desperately lacks players of his ilk.

The Lions have perhaps the second most favourable draw out of the African sides after Egypt. The second round is a reachable destination but their key players, especially Mane, will have to be at their best.

Prediction: Second round. It’ll be tight as Aliou Cisse isn’t the most wily tactician but Senegal are hard to beat and Cisse has fostered a feel-good factor in this team which may work in his favour.

Tunisia

Goals have always been in short supply in this Tunisia team and the injuries to their best marksmen, Youssef Msakni and striker Taha Yassine Khenissi, give coach Nabil Maaloul an incurable headache.

The men Maaloul may now turn to are Wahbi Khazri and Naim Sliti. If these two can translate their club form into this World Cup, they can bring what Msakni would have brought: goals and assists, albeit without the pizzazz.

Tunisia have shown plenty of heart during qualifying, with laudable results away to Guinea and DR Congo in their wake but it’s hard to foresee them displaying that when playing against such dynamic sides and when they have lost their protagonist to injury.

While Morocco have the cohesiveness and coach as a platform to mastermind a shock, that isn’t quite the case for Tunisia. Even being at their best may not be enough against dynamic England and Belgium sides.

Prediction: Group stage exit. They’ve done well to be at the World Cup but it’s hard to envisage them in the second round.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/941890580?-20575:8630:3
the writer of this article is not being realistic,in a group that has two formal european champions,n a formal world champions,n u expect an average african team to qualify ahead of them. This is just wishful thinking.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CLT123(m): 9:54pm On Jun 12, 2018
Sportilitica:

We really struggle with set pieces. If I can remember, it has been a while since we scored with a header
Iheanacho scored with a header vs Cameroon.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:55pm On Jun 12, 2018
komekn:

Is that what you think

Do you know the earthquakes that will reverberate through a EPL club if they loose to a lower league club.

Sorry Sir I can assure you big clubs take these games VERY SERIOUS.

When Manchester United lost to MK Dons that was literally the end of Van Goal. To buttress my point see link below.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/louis-van-gaal-sacked-the-worst-defeats-of-the-manchester-united-managers-old-trafford-career-a7043411.html

Na so!! when Wigan beat man city the world ended abi? Van Gaal lost to Dele Alli's old side in his first season and he got sacked after his second season so how does that have anything to do with anything?

Lower division teams beat premier league teams all the time. I remember a team from the National league making it to the quarter finals of the FA Cup a couple years ago.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 10:02pm On Jun 12, 2018
Moses smile in pictures these days

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chimzyblack(m): 10:04pm On Jun 12, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Who can name the five players missing from this group photoshoot at the Essentuki arena in Russia; venue of the Super Eagles' training base?

cheesy

You may not notice it but there are only 18 members of the official 23-man list here in this photo in that dressing room at the Essentuki training arena.

So who nails it first? Lol

Note: I have my answers already. wink

IWOBI
mikel
Moses
musa
Idowu
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BOOMnaija(m): 10:07pm On Jun 12, 2018
Eagles don land....

Show some likes wink

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:16pm On Jun 12, 2018
I will make sure u put in a lota hardwerk

hardwerk:
lol....I no wan troll this night ....help me if it's within your capacity
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jun 12, 2018
Sportilitica:

We really struggle with set pieces. If I can remember, it has been a while since we scored with a header

Struggle is an understatement. We are awful at it. We don't pose any threat from corner kicks and set pieces from good positions.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:19pm On Jun 12, 2018
chimzyblack:

IWOBI
mikel
Moses
musa
Idowu

You Sir, are mouthed. Very well done cheesy

Beautiful in fact... wink Double thumbs up to you My good man...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BOOMnaija(m): 10:25pm On Jun 12, 2018
Oya welcome nigeria...

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jun 12, 2018
EEGA:
The Super Eagles are the most underated team in this tournament.

What will be the correct rating? Favourites? Contenders?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 10:30pm On Jun 12, 2018
Nna, you ain't never lied o, jare. Full concentration would definitely be a problem, with Safari out there trotting her stuffs all over the pitch grin grin

O pari

Humility017:

and sit on the bench with it...abi?
I will doubt your concentration level being that safari made the list as well.....

come on relax that Jersey belongs to me...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jun 12, 2018
Joebie:
I will make sure u put in a lota hardwerk

Pity for me now ...I will be back to my best tomorrow
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jun 12, 2018
Afam4eva:

I think he should remain in Villareal for a few more years and ultimately even remain in Spain. I think we're missing a certain kind of players in the super eagles. Players who py their trade in Spain, Italy or even France. Our players in the premiership are usually not technically sound. They're just strong and fit.

Gbam.

And does the last sentence justify why English clubs are in a rush for Nigerian players in the last 6 months?

I also think we also have the highest number of Africans who have played in the EPL.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 10:38pm On Jun 12, 2018
Napoleon55:
the writer of this article is not being realistic,in a group that has two formaleuropean champions,n a formalworld champions,n u expect an average african team to qualify ahead of them. This is just wishful thinking.
...former... former...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 10:41pm On Jun 12, 2018
forgiveness:

Omeruo is in the form of his life, the last time I saw him played against England. So, why bench him?

Exactly! Against Croatia, Brazil found it difficult to penatrate and score but Neymar came on and created a goal from nothing.

In short, he changed the game. And this is exactly what Victor Moses brings to the team.

i agree with you on this
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:50pm On Jun 12, 2018
Neimar:
bench warmer iwobi nd iheanacho
below average playerz like ighalo, musa
na dese low class attackers naija wan take win worldcup?

“We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible—you can beat better teams by using tactics... Jurgen Klopp, Liverpool manager.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:53pm On Jun 12, 2018
forgiveness:

Omeruo is in the form of his life, the last time I saw him played against England. So, why bench him?

Exactly! Against Croatia, Brazil found it difficult to penatrate and score but Neymar came on and created a goal from nothing.

In short, he changed the game. And this is exactly what Victor Moses brings to the team.

Victor Moses can always come from the bench and change the game for us grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eleniyan15: 10:53pm On Jun 12, 2018
cool cool
Whip Alert

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 10:57pm On Jun 12, 2018
komekn:

Your prejudice has no end, remaining with a parochial mind is not wisdom.

Firstly, you completely ignored all the substantiated facts i stated and chose to misrepresent. For avoidance of doubt , i said the Bundesliga is rated 4th in Europe see link https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/index.html

The Bundesliga is given a higher rating because of Bayern Munich who completely dominate literally creating a one team league that has one nearly everything for the past 20 years,

Considering the gap between the top and mid level clubs of the Bundesliga i place the lower half on par with the top half of the Championship possibly lower for the bottom end of the Bundesliga.

Dominic Iorfa is a wolves player, and Wolves are in the EPL maybe your prejudice has blinded you to common truths and facts. Explain with facts not prejudice how Akpoguma and Jordan even add Felix Uduokhai how these players Rohr and the NFF continuously are better than Dominic.

Maybe if you present a substantive case i will humbly agree with you.

they are better, Bundesliga is not just 4th because of Bayern and championship can never be equal to Bundesliga bottom half not possible.

players from that so called mid table team walk straight to become the best players in there premier league team e.g Sane(schalke), Xhaka(mocheglabash), Mkhitaryan (Dortmund), Gundogan(Dortmund), debryune( Wolfsburg), firmino(hoffenheim),

i can even give you more, the Bundesliga is one of the best league in Europe not because of bayern

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:04pm On Jun 12, 2018
It's like our boys don forget the purpose of this WC ooo. I don't see them play football as much as I see them dancing, sightseeing and generally in a flexing mood. Okay ooo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:09pm On Jun 12, 2018
Look down here

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:13pm On Jun 12, 2018
Joebie:
Look down here
who is the 'they' that think they will win world cup?

Hian! Somebody cannuh just be hopeful again ni? There are 32 teams in Russia and as far as they qualified for the tournament, they are all contenders and could win undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:15pm On Jun 12, 2018
Mujtahida:
It's like our boys don forget the purpose of this WC ooo. I don't see them play football as much as I see them dancing, sightseeing and generally in a flexing mood. Okay ooo.
you see them when they want you to see them.

They want you to see them flexing and dancing, so, na wetin you go see be that. If they want you to see them training, they will post it. As long as you no follow them dey camp, you are subject to their narrative
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CaptainGOOD: 11:18pm On Jun 12, 2018
Martz101:

the taller ones are compete and defend the set piece and the shorter once are by the pole just incase the ball goes toward that direction.

Ok. I get now.. But u can see d disadvantage too.
Its 2edged sword.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 11:50pm On Jun 12, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Watch the NIG-ARG match from the second half and see for yourself.

different kind of people dey this thread
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 11:57pm On Jun 12, 2018
Napoleon55:
the writer of this article is not being realistic,in a group that has two formal european champions,n a formal world champions,n u expect an average african team to qualify ahead of them. This is just wishful thinking.
it doesn't matter cos Spain were d defending champs going into 2014 but you know what happened to them wink
Napoleon55:
it doesn't matter cos Spain were d defending champs going into 2014 but you know what happened to them
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:57pm On Jun 12, 2018
Simon Moses is fit.

Super Eagles forward, Moses Simon speaks on move to Liverpool after World Cup snub

Genk forward, Moses Simon, has admitted he would like to play in the Premier League, amid speculations linking him with Liverpool.

The 22-year-old is back to full fitness, after being dropped from the Super Eagles squad to the 2018 World Cup.

Moses Simon was cleared to start running by Gent doctors three days ago.

In an interview with OwnGoalNigeria, the player reiterated his backing for his team-mates ahead of the World Cup.

“We have a very united team and that is largely due to the effort of the coach Gernot Rohr and the leadership of the NFF. A healthy spirit in camp is really important going into a major tournament like the World Cup,” he said.

‎Speaking on the rumours linking him with a move to Liverpool, Moses Simon added: “I am aware of the report linking me with Liverpool and all I can say is let us wait and see. Gent and my agent have also received offers from clubs in some other European countries. My wish is to play in England, we have to wait and see.”

http://dailypost.ng/2018/06/09/super-eagles-forward-moses-simon-speaks-move-liverpool-world-cup-snub/amp/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:59pm On Jun 12, 2018
forgiveness:

Mikel, Ogu Responsible For Eagles’ Loss – Rohr

Posted By: Staff Writeron: June 12, 2018In: Breaking

Ahead of the Super Eagles’ opening match at the 2018 World Cup against Croatia, head coach Gernot Rohr, has taken steps to address his team’s weaknesses.

OwnGoalNigeria reports Rohr has particularly noted that captain John Mikel Obi and John Ogu, were responsible for the two goals Nigeria conceded from dead ball situations, in their last two friendly games.

The German has taken out time in training, to address their positioning and assigned special roles to the duo, who happen to be the tallest players in his squad.

Although zonal marking has been preferred by most coaches, Rohr is not keen on that style and favours the man-to-man marking style.

Ogu, who has been converted to a defender when the Eagles play with a back three, has been mandated to pick the tallest man in the team of the opposition, while Mikel Obi will defend the first pole.

Mikel will be the Eagles’ first defender on the line, with Ogu behind him. The central defence duo of William Troost-Ekong and Leon Balogun will concentrate on winning the second balls.

Nigeria play Croatia on June 16.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/941901288?-20575:8630:3

Can we just stop posting all this rubbish from owngoal website??
there are more credible sites to get super eagles news pls.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (4023) (4024) (4025) (4026) (4027) (4028) (4029) ... (16124) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Alfryd and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.