Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,282 members, 7,829,636 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (850) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11751986 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (847) (848) (849) (850) (851) (852) (853) ... (16182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:12pm On Apr 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I did not read of foreign based players making it to the Amunike U20 Open camp for screening. I think this was the first stage because it was the qualifiers. If we qualified, there would have been room for foreign talents like Ovie and Henry Onyekuru.

Iheanacho and Kelechi Nwakali were part of Manu's U20 African qualifiers even though they were foreign based.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:14pm On Apr 25, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
I pray Solanke to RB Leipzig materialises.... they have some of the finest unknown young talents.... oliver Burke, Werner, Naby Keita, and more.... I have been following them ever since the takeover of the club by Redbull sports...

And you are right about Simy.

We have a Tammy who is 1.90m... but in Simy , we have a super giant.... of about almost 2m....

Such players with speed and heights and technique also can be of great addition of the Super eagles and give us even greater tactical depth.

Spoilt your list with Werner. When he was about 16/17 at Stuttgart, there was a big buzz about him becoming the next Gotze. Watched some of his game then. A brilliant talent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:16pm On Apr 25, 2017
Alampasu will definitely be in the France camp.... but we both know he won't get to man the post against South Africa or Cameroun if the "shaky" Akpeyi who has competitive caps of recent is next in line....

safarigirl:
I don't think a player like Alamoasu would qualify as 'new to the setup' considering he has trained and camped with the team previously.

So I expect him to be invited to the France camp
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:18pm On Apr 25, 2017
Icon4s:

Iheanacho and Kelechi Nwakali were part of Manu's U20 African qualifiers even though they were foreign based.

Kelechi Nwakali was invited for the qualifiers too. I am talking about the screening process. It was likely about finding out talents better than the already assembled team. In the already assembled team, even foreigners can get the nod.

With the screening team, BASED ON LOGISTICS, mostly local players get the chance of joining. It takes a process to apply for players already in clubs to come in. Then imagine for just a screening process.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:18pm On Apr 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Samson Siasia will do a wonderful work if it comes to training the boys for the tournament and playing good football. The challenge comes from the coach battling with finances.

If the NFF pays him on time and there is support from multinationals and concerned stakeholders, Siasia can go places with our current crop of talents.

Also with a strict warning of no backhand dealings for players to make the final cut, we can have a brilliant campaign.

With finances in place, Siasia will get my support.

Siasia to me is a better pick.

He is very experienced at youth level. He knows what it takes to assemble an U20 team.

NFF will always be NFF. Siasia has a way of tinkering his boys despite NFF failures. 2005 Flying Eagles And 2016 Dream Team are typical examples.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:19pm On Apr 25, 2017
But Timo Werner is their best striker.... shocked

He has been good of late... he got about 17 goals in 28 games this season I think for Leipzig...

TheGoodJoe:

Spoilt your list with Werner. When he was about 16/17 at Stuttgart, there was a big buzz about him becoming the next Gotze. Watched some of his game then. A brilliant talent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:21pm On Apr 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Kelechi Nwakali was invited for the qualifiers too. I am talking about the screening process. It was likely about finding out talents better than the already assembled team. In the already assembled team, even foreigners can get the nod.

With the screening team, BASED ON LOGISTICS, mostly local players get the chance of joining. It takes a process to apply for players already in clubs to come in. Then imagine for just a screening process.

Yes Kelechi Nwakali, Victor Osimhen, Samuel Chukwuze and Orji Okonkwo were invited. So what stopped him from inviting a host of other foreign based U20s. He just chose to invite only his boys who are foreign based. Simple.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:24pm On Apr 25, 2017
What?? I must be seeing things!!!!! shocked

Yara Yara plsss get me my special microscopic-view glasses.... I need to re-read what my eyes have fallen upon tonight....

Looollll.... what? me?? Elders gini??

Bia Chief Icon4s.... if na prank plsss stop am.... Abeg.... biko.... no play that kain play....

How can I a neonate enter into the halls of experience?? and be called an elder?? You think I don't have great respect for all the years and time you elders have invested to become Re-knowned Guardians of the Halls of Experience??

Abeg abeg abeg.... no prank me biko.... kolewerk!!!!! angry

I still get a looooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnngggggg way to go mehn! haba!!!! indomie generation neaonate like me.... sad

Icon4s:

Rohr and his crew are very predictable.

It is only people who chose not to understand him that cannot predict him.

I once said here that I can list at least 9 out of the 11 players that will start against SA.

Daniel Akpeyi as shaky as people here say he is has severally proven he is a at least a descent back up goalie. Keeping goal against Egypt, Algeria and Senegal. How bigger can it come for him?

The goal keeping position for our next 3 games is not for rookies.

In other news, TheSuperNerd you are impressing me more and more these days with your analysis. The young has grown. We will soon induct u into the Elders hall of fame. Haha haha.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:24pm On Apr 25, 2017
Icon4s:

Yes Kelechi Nwakali, Victor Osimhen, Samuel Chukwuze and Orji Okonkwo were invited. So what stopped him from inviting a host of other foreign based U20s. He just chose to invite only his boys who are foreign based. Simple.

Process. You can not drag these players out from their club for a screening process. After the qualifiers, there is most times a camping for the World Youth Championship where the coach has the opportunity of inviting selected pros.

The qualifiers took place immediately after the screening process.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:27pm On Apr 25, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

But Timo Werner is their best striker.... shocked

He has been good of late... he got about 17 goals in 28 games this season I think for Leipzig...

I am talking of you saying unknown players. Werner should not come in the list of unknown for those who followed him at Stuttgart. Back then, he was too young to lead the line but he was brilliant.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:36pm On Apr 25, 2017
undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:37pm On Apr 25, 2017
Okay.... I misunderstood you.... looooollll

But I said unknown for many on here.... not many know of Time Werner.... wink

TheGoodJoe:

I am talking of you saying unknown players. Werner should not come in the list of unknown for those who followed him at Stuttgart. Back then, he was too young to lead the line but he was brilliant.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:37pm On Apr 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Process. You can not drag these players out from their club for a screening process. After the qualifiers, there is most times a camping for the World Youth Championship where the coach has the opportunity of inviting selected pros.

So how was he able to drag out Nwakali, Osimhen, Chukwueze and Okonkwo for the "screening process " or was there no screening process for the quartet?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:38pm On Apr 25, 2017
Why is this Oga looking lost? loooooolll

daveP:
undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:41pm On Apr 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

When I thought Amuneke did not know the strength of the challenge he had ahead of him was when he was already talking about winning the WYC.

It meant he felt he already had what it takes to conquer the world so he stuck to 'his boys'.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:44pm On Apr 25, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Why is this Oga looking lost? loooooolll

just 'jackbauering' or you want to find me? you havent answered that question bout whatsapp group existence....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:44pm On Apr 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Did he even consider the home-based players who would have been easy to 'drag' out of their clubs? I still ask: where was Steven Odey when Amuneke was making his selections?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:46pm On Apr 25, 2017
Icon4s:

When I thought Amuneke did not know the strength of the challenge he had ahead of him was when he was already talking about winning the WYC.

It meant he felt he already had what it takes to conquer the world so he stuck to 'his boys'.

I doubt he did not know the strength. The external factors were too much. That is why I will keep calling for external support to keep the team focused. We also need better preparation of venues. Taking team to adverse weather conditions and poor pitches should stop.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:46pm On Apr 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Mostly local players from where? Which clubs?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:46pm On Apr 25, 2017
Icon4s:

I would personally recommend Siasia for that U20 job or what do you think?

Siasia is too loyal to his chosen players.

Ndifreke, Azubuike and Sincere Seth will make the next under 20, if he is chosen.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:47pm On Apr 25, 2017
Icon4s:

Did he even consider the home-based players who would have been easy to 'drag' out of their clubs? I still ask: where was Steven Odey when Amuneke was making his selections?

It was an open camp. Stephen Odey did not need Amunike to drag him out. I doubt Odey would get a nod over Osimhen.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:48pm On Apr 25, 2017
Icon4s:

Mostly local players from where? Which clubs?

I did not take the role call of the hundreds of players who showed up in camp.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:49pm On Apr 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I doubt he did not know the strength. The external factors were too much. That is why I will keep calling for external support to keep the team focused. We also need better preparation of venues. Taking team to adverse weather conditions and poor pitches should stop.

I doubt he knew the strength of the opposition he was going to face. If we had qualified for that AYC we would have crashed out.

He thinks the u20 is just a step above u17.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:50pm On Apr 25, 2017
Icon4s:

So how was he able to drag out Nwakali, Osimhen, Chukwueze and Okonkwo for the "screening process " or was there no screening process for the quartet?

Just as I said before. There was already a team and a screening process to find better players. Osimhen and co. were not there for screening.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:51pm On Apr 25, 2017
Icon4s:

I doubt he knew the strength of the opposition he was going to face. If we had qualified for that AYC we would have crashed out.

He thinks the u20 is just a step above u17.

You have no idea. We could have won it too. We need to change our approach to preparation and organization. Instead of blaming the wrong person. We failed that team by abandoning them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:52pm On Apr 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I did not take the role call of the hundreds of players who showed up in camp.

Wait, with the exception of Osimhen, Nwakali, Okonkwo and Chukwueze who were foreign based name any other player in that squad that played for any NPFL or NNL team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:53pm On Apr 25, 2017
Oh the WhatsApp group.... uhmmmm.... won't it take the shine off what we do here? #Justasking

and Just jackbauering.... chaaaiiiiii.... you and movies na 5&6..... loooollll cheesy

daveP:
just 'jackbauering' or you want to find me? you havent answered that question bout whatsapp group existence....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:57pm On Apr 25, 2017
Icon4s:

Wait, with the exception of Osimhen, Nwakali, Okonkwo and Chukwueze who were foreign based name any other player in that squad that played for any NPFL or NNL team.

Amunike plays a beautiful brand of football that takes natural instincts and devotion of the players to make it come to life.

You do not expect our NPFL or NNL players to immediately pay the bills. That is one of the reason Amunike remains my favorite. I have said it before. It is not about result but dynamics.

For instance, when Amunike screened Osimhen, he was one of the very few strikers who chose to track back and defend. It was Natural. Coupled with Amunike's training, we had a potential top player.

While screening, he was looking for naturals. So it is not guaranteed our pros will have the natural instinct needed.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:59pm On Apr 25, 2017
Moses Puts In Another Solid Display As Chelsea Take Giant Step Towards Title

Diego Costa was back among the goals as Chelsea beat Southampton 4-2 in a Premier League encounter at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday night to reestablish a seven-point lead over nearest challengers Tottenham Hotspur.

It took the Blues less than six minutes to open the scoring. The Southampton defenders were not quick in reacting and Costa provided an assist for Hazard to score.
Ex-Chelsea dynamo Oriol Romeu restored parity for the visitors on 24 minutes, he tapped the ball in after it was played into his path.

With almost the last action of the first half, Chelsea got their lead back courtesy of Gary Cahill’s firm header.

Chelsea began the second half well, refusing to allow Southampton ease things as they did in the first half, and were rewarded with a goal in the 53rd minute through Diego Costa, his 50th in the Premier League.

Nigeria international Victor Moses, on his 30th league appearance of the season, gave way for John Terry in the 86th minute after another solid display in the right wingback role.

Antonio Conte’s side increased their lead with one minute remaining. Costa danced his way through the defense before planting a firm right-footed effort past Forster.

Former Chelsea player Ryan Bertrand had the last word. He took a gamble and headed past Courtois after he was teed up by Cedric Soares.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel
Photo Credit :: chelseafc.com

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22839

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:59pm On Apr 25, 2017
tbaba1234:

Siasia is too loyal to his chosen players.

Ndifreke, Azubuike and Sincere Seth will make the next under 20, if he is chosen.
No.

These 3 players you just listed would have made this 2017 U20. Likewise Nura Abdulahi, Sadiq Umar, Musa Yahaya, Henry Onyekuru, Taiwo Awoniyi, Chidozie Awaziem, Chiderah Eze, Steven Odey had he and 'his boys' not blown it up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:05am On Apr 26, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Amunike plays a beautiful brand of football that takes natural instincts and devotion of the players to make it come to life.

You do not expect our NPFL or NNL players to immediately fit the bill. That is one of the reason Amunike remains my favorite. I have said it before. It is not about result but dynamics.

For instance, when Amunike screened Osimhen, he was one of the very few strikers who chose to track back and defend. It was Natural. Coupled with Amunike's training, we had a potential top player.

While screening, he was looking for naturals. So it is not guaranteed our pros will have the natural instinct needed.

Young players find it easy to adapt to which ever style of play. A good coach will know how to tinker youngsters to adapt to his style of play. The long qualifying series is enough to groom them into his own philosophy.

I repeat, his team was grossly inadequate.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:06am On Apr 26, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

You have no idea. We could have won it too. We need to change our approach to preparation and organization. Instead of blaming the wrong person. We failed that team by abandoning them.

There was no way we could have even won the AYC with that bunch talk less of the WYC.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (847) (848) (849) (850) (851) (852) (853) ... (16182) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Amedino99(m), victornoah(m), dkay51(m), Ihenzy(m), mostob(m), soetanoreoluwa(m), IFELEKE(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.