Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,651 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:47 PM

Transport And Haulage Business - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Transport And Haulage Business (106818 Views)

Partnership In Transport And Haulage Business / Transport And Haulage Under Nnpc Retail. / Servicing The Transport And Haulage Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Transport And Haulage Business by cibilola(f): 4:39pm On Jul 27, 2009
Hello Nairalanders!!!!

I know someone has posted information regarding this topic but I wanted to get a clear message by starting a topic dedicated to Transport and Haulage Business in Nigeria and West Africa.

So the information I get is that one can make as much as N300 000 a month if you buy a truck or trailer for some kind of transport business or put down N3million.

My questions are as follows;

1. Does anyone have any experience about this business? If so, please share with us.

2. Is this just another 419 scam? Then, I am prepared to run oooo! grin

3. What exactly is being transported with the trucks bought?

If you answer this question and you are into this kind of business, please tell us if you are a sole-trader or working for a company. (it is a good way to introduce your business to us)

Finally, I am really interested in this business because it sounds like you could make a profit out of it if successful.

So, please share your views. Many thanks! smiley

2 Likes

Re: Transport And Haulage Business by ifyalways(f): 5:00pm On Jul 27, 2009
I can only ans ur Rhetoric question and question NO 3.
Yes you can make 300K per month from haulage and transport.
Items like cement,Flour and sugar amongst others are carried with those trucks.911 trucks carry stuffs like palm oil,yam and garden eggs.
Suggestion:key to success is getting a good driver or a good company to manage your trucks.
Re: Transport And Haulage Business by cibilola(f): 5:03pm On Jul 27, 2009
thanks Ifyalways!
do you know of any company that manages trucks though?

1 Like

Re: Transport And Haulage Business by ifyalways(f): 5:09pm On Jul 27, 2009
My sister,i have to be honest with u,i dont know any personally but there was a time someone asked me same question and i asked my dad's manager(my dad is in the biz),he told me abt "Prime logistics,V.I " . . .see if u can find out more abt them.
BTW,shebi Tayo went to 9ja,he shld be able to bring us feedbacks as hes there on ground and i suppose he got to meet with some of the stakeholders one-on-one undecided wud look for him
Re: Transport And Haulage Business by stagger: 5:36pm On Jul 27, 2009
Haulage business is broad. It can be lorries tipping sand, it can be trailers carrying cement, perishable goods, generators, etc. It can even be tankers carrying all forms of petroleum products intra and inter-city.

You need to clearly define what it is you are going into, because that will determine the kind of challenges you have to overcome. Whichever aspect of haulage you are going into, know some things for sure.

The police and local government officials have a special "liking" for trucks; collecting all forms of money from them along the way. Especially the police.

Operating a tanker may be the safest way to go. Just get it registered with a major petroleum marketer. It will be painted in their colours and then you can agree with them on what your trucking fees are like.

I can paste a schedule of bridge loading fees charged for transportation of petroleum products from the Port Harcourt refinery to various parts of the country. The price ranges from N30, 000 to N300,000 per trip, depending on the location the product will be taken to and the capacity of the tanker.

I am into petroleum marketing, so I can talk more authoritatively about tankers. Others who are more versed in haulage of general goods can shed more light on that aspect.

But make no mistake: HAULAGE BUSINESS IS GOOD BUSINESS, despite the challenges. There is no business without risk. I think a business that can give me between N30,000 to N300,000 per trip and more is every inch worth risking some capital for. wink

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Transport And Haulage Business by Adema: 9:43pm On Jul 27, 2009
Hello, We are into haulage and transport business.We also do fleet management, we have 3 trucks we are managing for now more expected next month. We dont do oil and gas for now . Basically we transport Containers,dry bulk/cargo goods.We Have a transport contract with Dangote right now. For a truck like Mack, IVECO, DAF, with a 40 feet flat body, we pay 400,000 per month, and for 15 tons truck with a box body of at leat 25 feet lenght, we pay 200,000 per month. Other details can be discussed. Documents and agreement will be provided and signed. Call/sms 08067115015, 08050529833.

1 Like

Re: Transport And Haulage Business by cibilola(f): 10:12pm On Jul 27, 2009
thank you adema, i will be in touch before or during the weekend! thanks again!
Re: Transport And Haulage Business by cibilola(f): 8:35am On Jul 28, 2009
@ stagger, i am still waiting for you to get in touch.

I also read from one of your previous posts that you are considering cattle farming. How is that coming up?

I am still open to advise in regards to the topic of this thread.
Re: Transport And Haulage Business by kinharold(m): 12:56pm On Jul 28, 2009
Hi Sister. much has been said about haulage on this forum. you can search out some links especailly the one Ify was refering to about Tayo.

here is it: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-264917.32.html there are others too.

I manage trucks and Tipers. i take care of all operational cost including driver and servicing. I pay 350/400k for truck and 450 to 500k for tippers (Negotiable) guaranteed. No Stories. of course you can take back the truck or tipper any time u are no longer satisfied with us. our tippers operate mainly from port harcourt while the trucks operate from lagos.

Details: kinharold2@yahoo.com 07034268732

2 Likes

Re: Transport And Haulage Business by tobiloba82: 4:01pm On Jul 28, 2009
hello,
The truth about the business is that it is very lucrative. i have been working in the ports for the past three years and people are making money day in day out. the only problem you encounter in the business is that of the drivers, but with good monitoring, you will discover that you will begin to have fleet of trucks.
The maximum of daily earning is N20000 after paying drivers and fuel cost. Though you can make three trips on days when there is less trafic and public holidays. the driver works six days in week.
so you have N480000.ook every month.
i have been opportuned to have one truck in the last 12 months and all i can say is Glory be to God.
The secret is that you need to be hard on drivers otherwise you will make nothing out of it.
You can mail me on olajidetobiloba@yahoo.com or call me on 08028292956
Re: Transport And Haulage Business by stagger: 4:06pm On Jul 28, 2009
cibilola:

@ stagger, i am still waiting for you to get in touch.

I also read from one of your previous posts that you are considering cattle farming. How is that coming up?

I am still open to advise in regards to the topic of this thread.

I will send you the procedure for truck registration with major marketers tomorrow. My network is giving some trouble today because of the rains here.

Cattle farming? A definite yes. Though one of my boys who grew up rearing cattle will be handling that for me.

1 Like

Re: Transport And Haulage Business by cibilola(f): 4:07pm On Jul 28, 2009
thanks tobi,

i will be in contact with you soon, hopefully you will be able to share some of the experiences that you have had. Everyone says it is a good business, i am hoping there is a truth in it and that my experience in the business will not be different when i finally venture into it. Thanks again!
Re: Transport And Haulage Business by cibilola(f): 4:10pm On Jul 28, 2009
@stagger, i'm patiently awaiting this information. Thank you
Re: Transport And Haulage Business by JEREMYONA: 4:39pm On Jul 28, 2009
kinharold and adema i have a truck registered with a driver but he is making me regret. will call and mail u guys later thanks.
Re: Transport And Haulage Business by Depilot(m): 5:49pm On Jul 28, 2009
I'm not sure if this business is the right one to operate in Nigeria, because:
1. The roads are very bad. therefore, you might end up spending the little that you make on constant mecho visit
2. It is hard to come across a dedicated and honest driver in Nigeria. 90% of available drivers in Nigeria today will only give you heart attack because they can not be trusted.
3. Unreliable mecho. When your truck breaks down, it means no money, Nigerian mecho understand the importance of your truck to your business, therefore they will not hesitate to take advantage and capitalize on making a living out of you and your truck.

Driver is not the only key to the business. Mecho and access to the parts (to repair your truck) and a very strong stamina (to be able to deal with the ups and downs) represent another important keys to a successful haulage business in Nigeria.

As a starter or new business owner, I still do not think this is the right business for you.
Re: Transport And Haulage Business by DOW(m): 5:57pm On Jul 28, 2009
kinharold and adema, I have 2 mack tipper already working on Lagos around ajah side, let me me know if can manage these for me. How much do you pay monthly?. If your offer is good, i will introduce u to my partner with 6 mack tipper.
Re: Transport And Haulage Business by Depilot(m): 6:05pm On Jul 28, 2009
Just keep in mind that trucks mostly don't break down right next door to mecho shop.
Think about the process you have to go through to fix a broken truck next to the highway. Let us also say that the truck is full of customer's goods, which can not be left on the truck overnight.
This means the truck has to be repaired the same day. This also means your reliable mecho must be available and part to fix the truck must also be ready.

How do you handle this type of scenario? Because this might happen once or twice a month.

Be a smart business owner, just don't go into a new business by only looking at the pouring of the honey, it is also critical to pay attention to the inevitable rain fall.

It sounds like a great business, but get to know the business first before diving into it.
Re: Transport And Haulage Business by stagger: 7:23pm On Jul 28, 2009
Depilot:

Just keep in mind that trucks mostly don't break down right next door to mecho shop.
Think about the process you have to go through to fix a broken truck next to the highway. Let us also say that the truck is full of customer's goods, which can not be left on the truck overnight.
This means the truck has to be repaired the same day. This also means your reliable mecho must be available and part to fix the truck must also be ready.

How do you handle this type of scenario? Because this might happen once or twice a month.

Be a smart business owner, just don't go into a new business by only looking at the pouring of the honey, it is also critical to pay attention to the inevitable rain fall.

It sounds like a great business, but get to know the business first before diving into it.

Haba mana! You are scaring the lady unduly. Nigerian roads have never been ok generally for as long as I can remember. Yet people are still making millions from the business. It's like saying because there are always road accidents on our bad roads, therefore we should not drive cars or enter into them to travel.

Forget all the talk of bad roads etc. A new truck or a good fairly used one will not develop problems that soon. And even when they do, they can always be fixed.

2 Likes

Re: Transport And Haulage Business by Depilot(m): 9:30pm On Jul 28, 2009
@stagger:
You are not paying attention.
I wasn't trying to scare anybody, I was only flashing light on things new business owners tend to forget or ignore.

90% of new businesses fail within the first 2 years and you wonder why.

Yes, the roads in Nigeria are very bad and I think it is extremely important for a new Haulage business owner to pay attention to these things.
Many on this site indicated that the key to a successful Haulage business in Nigeria is the driver. And I totally disagree.
There are 4 keys:
1.  Great Driver
2.  Great Mecho
3.  Direct or easy access to parts (to repair the truck as needed).
4. A lion heart to deal with ups and downs

If u think this statement is scary, then I'm afraid to say you're heading toward Failure Blvd.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transport And Haulage Business by Adema: 12:00am On Jul 29, 2009
DOW:

kinharold and adema, I have 2 mack tipper already working on Lagos around ajah side, let me me know if can manage these for me. How much do you pay monthly?. If your offer is good, i will introduce u to my partner with 6 mack tipper.

Can your trucks go outside Lagos, and what tonnage is the carrier ? This will help in determining how much we pay.Thanks

Depilot:

@stagger:
You are not paying attention.
I wasn't trying to scare anybody, I was only flashing light on things new business owners tend to forget or ignore.

90% of new businesses fail within the first 2 years and you wonder why.

Yes, the roads in Nigeria are very bad and I think it is extremely important for a new Haulage business owner to pay attention to these things.
Many on this site indicated that the key to a successful Haulage business in Nigeria is the driver. And I totally disagree.
There are 4 keys:
1.  Great Driver
2.  Great Mecho
3.  Direct or easy access to parts (to repair the truck as needed).
4. A lion heart to deal with ups and downs

If u think this statement is scary, then I'm afraid to say you're heading toward Failure Blvd.

I seem to agree with Stagger on the points raise, and i want to submit that other businesses in Nigeria also have their issues, the risk involved,and critical factors for success.
The issue is to look at all the factors /keys listed and prepare to work in getting them. Generally you need a lion heart to do business in Nigeria, which you have to develop personally, or else you are out!
One of my truck once developed a fault at Kaduna on its way to Kano, thank God i have dedicated drivers, stand by Mechanics and an operational manager,who sees to vehicle recovery.
It took us time but it was fixed and the goods were delivered. Such things happen once in a long while ,thats why its best to go for Sound and durable trucks. You will save yourself the agony of repeated visits or calls to Mechanic.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Transport And Haulage Business by cibilola(f): 7:44am On Jul 29, 2009
Depilot:

I'm not sure if this business is the right one to operate in Nigeria, because:
1. The roads are very bad. therefore, you might end up spending the little that you make on constant mecho visit
2. It is hard to come across a dedicated and honest driver in Nigeria. 90% of available drivers in Nigeria today will only give you heart attack because they can not be trusted.
3. Unreliable mecho. When your truck breaks down, it means no money, Nigerian mecho understand the importance of your truck to your business, therefore they will not hesitate to take advantage and capitalize on making a living out of you and your truck.

Driver is not the only key to the business. Mecho and access to the parts (to repair your truck) and a very strong stamina (to be able to deal with the ups and downs) represent another important keys to a successful haulage business in Nigeria.

As a starter or new business owner, I still do not think this is the right business for you.

Hi Depilot,

I am very happy that you have taken your time to highlight the risk factor of starting a transport and haulage business in Nigeria. It is something that I am currently looking into. I think what is wise here is to look at the merits and weigh it against the demerits. If the disadvantages involved are too much and therefore not worth it, then I won't spend my hard-earned money trying to set the business up.

Remember, we also have to take into consideration that whatever business that we decide we are going to venture into, be it in Nigeria or in any other part of the world for that matter, there will always be a risk or many risks involved.

So are you currently runnning your own business? If you reckon haulage is not the best of businesses, could you please suggest another. I want you to know also that I value your contribution to this issue because people often talk about the profits of the business but leave out the obvious disadvantages that will most certainly be involved anyway.

Many thanks

1 Like

Re: Transport And Haulage Business by stagger: 10:42am On Jul 29, 2009
I still stand by what I said. I never said there are no risks to contend with, and no issues to contend with. To do business in Nigeria, you must have a lion's heart. No doubt about that. You have to put up with issues you won't find in the developed world. No doubt about that.

But then you also have opportunities here in business you may not have in the developed world. Nigeria does not have a functional rail system. Even if the govt starts now to build one, it will take at least 10 years for it to be deployed to full capacity as a means of cargo transport.

This means that road haulage and transport business will remain for a long time, a huge income earner.

I don't know about others, but as an entrepreneur with three running businesses (all contending with all manner of issues ranging from power to bad roads to risk of theft of goods, etc), I do not look at the bad points and allow it to determine where I want to get to.

If I see there is an opportunity and that others have crossed that path successfully, I won't mind doing it.

Have the bad roads, mean drivers, etc stopped people from doing haulage business in Nigeria? I personally know a pastor in my former church who went into haulage business and was transformed from a man struggling and barely taking care of his family with his meagre church allowance to a multi-millionaire in a matter of years.

I have a friend who was working in a media firm that owed him close to a year's wages. He used to periodically ask me for money. I encouraged him to resign, forget the money he was being owed and leverage on his brother who was working in an equipment leasing firm. I watched him move from being a broker in equipment leasing deals, to finally securing two trucks, and today he makes a minimum of N100,000 daily!

Yes you read that right. HE MAKES A MINIMUM OF N100,000 DAILY!

In his case, he was forced by circumstances to make a move. So he had nothing to lose. He moved, ignored the nay sayers and today, he is now a millionaire.

So my advice to anyone who wants to start a haulage business and has the money to please get into action. You only need to liaise with those who are experienced in the business to carry you along on how to get around the areas of concern.

Go for it!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transport And Haulage Business by cibilola(f): 12:47pm On Jul 29, 2009
thanks stagger!

i am still waiting for the procedure for truck registration with major marketers you promised you were going to send to me.
Re: Transport And Haulage Business by sanmi2000: 2:51pm On Jul 29, 2009
I honestly appreciate the comments of Depilot and Stagger. Both of you have a point, even though the points are coming from different direction, but a smart new business owner must look at your posts very attentively.
Not all businesses are for everybody, it is a matter of doing your homework and figuring out what is best for you. Reading your comments has educated me in many ways. More blessing to both of you.

Stagger, since it seems that you've already established yourself in haulage business, could you please post your recommendation on the best truck for this type of business (both small and large trucks). Where is the best place to get trucks for this business and how can one register this business with a marketer.
Is it best to manage this business or subcontract the managing aspect of the business to someone else?

Depilot, I will do more research on all the things you've posted and come up with my final decision.

Cibilola, thanks for starting this topic.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transport And Haulage Business by stagger: 3:44pm On Jul 29, 2009
About transportation of petroleum products from depots with tankers; yes I can talk more about that because that's the area I am conversant with. But not general haulage of goods. For that,I need to talk to some experts in that area to give more information.

Please to all who have requested for information, I will send it tonight. I am a bit busy now with my daytime work. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Transport And Haulage Business by dealaddict(m): 5:29am On Jul 30, 2009
Hi nairalanders,

Can anyone here please suggest a dealer or dealers in the US (websites,phone numebrs or contact details) where they buy some of their mack trucks (r models, etc)? I am looking to purchase a truck or two from the US and need this information,

I'll appreciate any leads and/or suggestions that can be provided here,
Re: Transport And Haulage Business by cibilola(f): 10:02am On Jul 30, 2009
i believe we are all waiting for stagger to provide the procedure for truck registration with major marketers as he promised he would.
Re: Transport And Haulage Business by kinharold(m): 12:59pm On Jul 30, 2009

like i said, am seriosly looking for tippers; i pay 450 to 550k a month (negotiable) guanranteed; no stories. i handle all operetional cost including driver. i will be very happy if you consider me for the tippers.

best regads

kinharold2@yahoo.com 07032468732
Re: Transport And Haulage Business by DOW(m): 3:35pm On Jul 30, 2009
Adema:

Can your trucks go outside Lagos, and what tonnage is the carrier ? This will help in determining how much we pay.Thanks

My truck will not go outside lagos. The trucks are R model 26 tons with spring.
Re: Transport And Haulage Business by OMOSOFEF: 8:19pm On Jul 30, 2009
If you need a good truck try
www.arrowtruck.com
Re: Transport And Haulage Business by kinharold(m): 12:25pm On Aug 01, 2009
@ Dow
I am still waiting for your reply concerning the Tippers

kinharold2@yahoo.com 07034268732
Re: Transport And Haulage Business by readonce: 2:42pm On Aug 01, 2009
HI!
THis IS interesting and i cant believe this topic has been on for a while.
just some couple of weeks i posted a topic on truck dedication.but becuz of
loadz of job i cldnt moderate the topic.
av not read everyone sugestion as regards this topic but is good to kno that
pple are will to come into this biz, but a big caution to those are new comers!

i run my dads haulage biz, HAULRIGHT LOGISTICS

have been able to introduce creative marketing since i joined him and it has been working well for us.
basically haulage in nigeria as more advantages than disadvantages buz we are import oriented nation for u are guaranteed of constant job only if u know the tricks, in maritime haulage.
containers , professionally called boxes, come into nigeria every day!but due to traffic congestion and lack of influx of trucks,we have congestion at the port.
type of haulage biz: transfer,delivery,empty,export,then the general cargo for dry bulk cargo, billets,coil,steel,plates, etc
have been able to penetrate the big shipping agencies tru my creative marketing so i have more work that trucks.
so i just structured out a business style for those willing to do haulage busineess
full dedication, you dedicate your truck and we handle operation cost like fuellling,oil filter,brakes,drivers salary and other routine maintanance, e.t.c while the owner handles capital cost like engine prob,tyres,gear box
partial dedication , you handle all cost we just kall u for jobs.this one is more transparent, abi?

i can tell u that pple that are into pet.haulage convertd their trucks to flat beds cuz of the volume of jobs that comes as boxes and gen.cargo!

are u guyz alright with this briefing, if its not alright, then contact HAULRIGHT

READONCE@YAHOO.COM, OR CALL ME ON 08029318915
THKS

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Synergy Thread For Professional Bead And Wireworks Makers / Autumn Spikes: Dangote Sues American Mistress For Exposing His Buttocks Online / Fewa Otedola: Meet Femi Otedola's Autistic & Only Son (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.