Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,875 members, 7,817,576 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? (13124 Views)

20 Top Kitchen Secrets Most People Dont Know / How To Prevent Fire Outbreak In Your Kitchen / Some Unnecessary Kitchen Gadgets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Hauwa1: 7:44pm On Nov 04, 2009
thanks  cheesy
soak with hot miri before blending or adding? i ask cuz my mom blends her fresh bleaf
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by koolchicco: 7:52pm On Nov 04, 2009
*Hauwa*:

thanks  cheesy
soak with hot miri before blending or adding? i ask cuz my mom blends her fresh bleaf

Maka why? shocked Neva heard of blending the leaf.

imaro na ifosia the onugbu, ofia afia hence u need not to blend it after all.

The hot warra is for softening and refreshing (as per dry ones).
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Hauwa1: 7:58pm On Nov 04, 2009
i love the blended ones she made better.
thanks, now i will go look for bitter leaf grin
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by koolchicco: 8:03pm On Nov 04, 2009
*Hauwa*:

i love the blended ones she made better.
thanks, now i will go look for bitter leaf grin

You could get the fresh frozen ones as well, depending on ur location tho.

Great, I hope de soup go sweet well well. cheesy wink
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Theblessed(f): 8:14pm On Nov 04, 2009
*Hauwa*:

koolchicco,

can one use dried bitter leaf for bitterleaf soup? will it still taste great?

my mom would say the secret of a less sleepy soup is buying light palm oil not the thick sleepy ones grin

Yes, you can! Taste as good as fresh but always soak up in warm water and re-wash a couple of times before using. Sometimes, they come with the bitterness still left in it, due to lack of thoroughly washing and I hate that. For me, that is extra hard work to get it thoroughly cleaned to my liking. Please, do check before you use for cooking.  Good luck!
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by deezah(f): 9:46pm On Nov 04, 2009
This is one of the best topics I've come across here. Very educative.

What I learnt is when frying red oil, put a few slices of onion before the oil gets hot. It reduces the fumes that hot red oil gives off which makes one cough. It actually works.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by 0sisi: 3:43am On Nov 05, 2009
If you really want to make a killer ukazi soup,put some of the sliced leaves in a blender and add to the soup.
You will forget your mother's name.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by 0sisi: 3:44am On Nov 05, 2009
In making stew, plum tomatoes(oblong) are better than the vine ones(round)
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Fhemmmy: 4:18am On Nov 05, 2009
0sisi:

In making stew, plum tomatoes(oblong) are better than the vine ones(round)

i am gonna try that out and will let you know.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by denzel2009: 5:45am On Nov 05, 2009
Dont smell the food you or other people are going to eat.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by dramaquin: 10:02am On Nov 05, 2009
mehn! am loving this topic sooooo much!
didnt learn from my mom(bless her soul) cry bt av picked up alot growin up,
i knw u shld always keep ur kitchen clean,turn pot handles away and d normal ones.bt av read some amazin stuff here
am savin this thread,will pick out d best 'rituals' and they'll become my kitchen bible, will definitely pass these on to my daughters.
thanks a lot girls, kissgrin cheesy
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by sweetliet: 10:11am On Nov 05, 2009
u are welcome student!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Fhemmmy: 2:38pm On Nov 05, 2009
denzel2009:

Dont smell the food you or other people are going to eat.

i have seen little kids doing that, so that means they aint learning oh
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by SisiKill1: 3:12pm On Nov 05, 2009
@ Topic
Leave the cooking to the professionals.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Fhemmmy: 3:13pm On Nov 05, 2009
Sisi_Kill:

@ Topic
Leave the cooking to the professionals.

Lol grin
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by sassyril(f): 3:34pm On Nov 05, 2009
for xtra flavour put a whole bulb of onioins in the oil
u will use 2 fry your chin chin wink

if u wnt 2 thickin your egusi soup 4 any reason put som yam in it

to prevent a cookin a watery porridge yam or beans, stir in a clockwise
direction as soon as d yam/beans is tender nd u will hav a nice thick paste wink
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Fhemmmy: 4:37pm On Nov 05, 2009
sassyril:

for xtra flavour put a whole bulb of onioins in the oil
u will use 2 fry your chin chin wink

if u wnt 2 thickin your egusi soup 4 any reason put som yam in it

to prevent a cookin a watery porridge yam or beans, stir in a clockwise
direction as soon as d yam/beans is tender nd u will hav a nice thick paste wink

that is the yawkiest thing i ever heard
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by rubi(f): 5:40pm On Nov 05, 2009
it is good to cook your stock fish a day or two and store in refrigerator b/c cooking stock fish the same day you are making soup will take thy kingdom come also pour away if there is any remaining water  from the stockfish it stinks.

The same thing as cow leg they take decade to cook. Don't try using (akanwu) it is not too healthy

for stew try and steam the fresh tomatoes very well to kill the acid before using it to make stew

When frying egg steam the sliced onions and tomatoes for few seconds to kill the acid before frying (great taste)
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by lawrence83: 6:07pm On Nov 05, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Me and you in same boat, but i watch my woman cook and now i can cook
Hey, as for me i de chop outside oh, cant even imagine a lady cooking for me.

cos dem fit put Vitamins, so am always scared

But one of my sis as being taken me on cooking tutorials.with one cookery book like that.

hopefully someday i will be better than her./
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by slimes(m): 8:39pm On Nov 05, 2009
Oh, I love you mamma!
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by madamL(f): 11:05am On Nov 06, 2009
Mother said to dissolve ground achi in cold water before adding to stock for soup to avoid the achi forming lumps.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by madamL(f): 11:20am On Nov 06, 2009
@victorazy

Are you part of the kitchen rituals or what? Look for a wife or ask them to bring you one from the village. Kilode? And pls snap another photo, you look too kind in the one here like a real ezigbo nmadu.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 06, 2009
wash, wash, wash my hands. a lot. tongue
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by abbeyemmy(f): 4:04pm On Nov 06, 2009
anoda one
put saliva inside d h2o u use 2 wash d beans b4 thrown it away so that it dont smell in ur surroundn(i wonder wht saliva has 2 do wt d smell)

put a stone inside d pot when ure boiling 1 egg
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by abbeyemmy(f): 4:06pm On Nov 06, 2009
put a charcoal on ur grounded beans if u hv 2 leave it 4 a long prd or over9t so it dont get sour

1 Like

Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by abbeyemmy(f): 4:08pm On Nov 06, 2009
u can cook ur bitter leaf wt out washing so long u did not talk 2 anyone it wl not b bitter
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Fhemmmy: 5:31pm On Nov 06, 2009
abbeyemmy:

u can cook your bitter leaf wt out washing so long u did not talk 2 anyone it wl not b bitter
abbeyemmy:

put a charcoal on your grounded beans if u hv 2 leave it 4 a long prd or over9t so it dont get sour
abbeyemmy:

anoda one
put saliva inside d h2o u use 2 wash d beans b4 thrown it away so that it dont smell in your surroundn(i wonder wht saliva has 2 do wt d smell)

put a stone inside d pot when ure boiling 1 egg

All that are gross.
Nasty and not clean at all.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by sassyril(f): 5:11pm On Nov 07, 2009
that is the yawkiest thing i ever heard
really, 'jst shows aw shallow u r
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by posakosa(m): 5:25pm On Nov 07, 2009
put sugar in your yam. wink wink
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Fhemmmy: 7:51am On Nov 08, 2009
posakosa:

put sugar in your yam. wink wink

I like that one and eat the yam with egg.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by oriental01(f): 6:20pm On Nov 08, 2009
Do not twist oha leaves when shredding it, else the soup will have a bitter taste.

Do not eat ur meat/fish before you finish ur food, else u bkom a thief
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by popkid(f): 3:04pm On Nov 09, 2009
she make me a great cook today, I can cook all meals and keep my kitchen clean at all time

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

###EUROSONIC DISTRIBUTOR: Get Your Kitchen/home Appliances @ Wholesale Prices. / Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? / How To Fix Sour Soup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.