Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,106 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? (13147 Views)

20 Top Kitchen Secrets Most People Dont Know / How To Prevent Fire Outbreak In Your Kitchen / Some Unnecessary Kitchen Gadgets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by queenesthr(f): 11:03am On Nov 04, 2009
If you over salt your soup, drop about 3 peeled potatoes into it and boil. The potatoes will soak up the excess salt.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by sleak(m): 11:33am On Nov 04, 2009
queenesthr:

If you over salt your soup, drop about 3 peeled potatoes into it and boil. The potatoes will soak up the excess salt.
For realz.sounds practical when u think of it.
nice tip.still guilty ,although less often, of oversalting.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Nobody: 11:50am On Nov 04, 2009
My mother taught me not to depend too much on electronic gadgets in the kitchen, she said it taste better without gadgets. Till today, i still find it hard to use a cake mixer and i bake all the time, i always feel the cake does not come out as well, so i mix manually
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Ibime(m): 11:51am On Nov 04, 2009
Hold a piece of bread in your mouth when cutting onions so it soaks up the spray and stops you from crying.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by posakosa(m): 11:56am On Nov 04, 2009
aisha2:

My mother taught me not to depend too much on electronic gadgets in the kitchen, she said it taste better without gadgets. Till today, i still find it hard to use a cake mixer and i bake all the time, i always feel the cake does not come out as well, so i mix manually
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by mbulela: 11:59am On Nov 04, 2009
she taught me to eat plenty veggies but i no gree.
na junk for life.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by otilowaju(f): 12:17pm On Nov 04, 2009
Don't cover your ewedu/okro or any other draw soup while on fire, it will boil/spill over.

After having boiled our yam, don't leave it too long inside water to soak as it becomes too soft. wink

Wash your vegetables before cutting so it doesn't lose its nutrients if you do it vice versa.

Don't talk while stiring food or serving it (esp if its meant for others and you) so droplets won't fall in.

Don't enter the kitchen with chewing stick in your mouth.
Will go and think, then come back with more smiley
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Nezan(m): 12:33pm On Nov 04, 2009
She taught me how to boil porridge yam.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by zains: 12:51pm On Nov 04, 2009
Well, she doesn't trust any plate that's washed by another person.

So she rinses vigorously again, and i'm like ''but I just washed it!

And she goes: Don't poison me with your wishy-washy kind of washing, when dem born you sef! grin

But i'm married now! yet she won't burge.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by koolchicco: 12:54pm On Nov 04, 2009
Never put milk firstly when making ur egg roll, otherwise you wont be able to roll it.

Always pound ur Yam when HOT, Otherwise the pounded yam will be full of yam-seed.

When boiling eggs (upto 30 at once), add a bit of detergent otherwise they wont peel off properly.

For Sweet Akara (bean cake), na plenty plenty Onions be the secret.

For the best palm oil, buy from Akpugo in Nkanu east of Enugu State.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by abbeyemmy(f): 1:03pm On Nov 04, 2009
most of ds thins are superstitous bt u dare not argue wt mum, she'l say dont talk 2 any one when cutting bitter leaf from its tree so dt it dont get 2 bitter or dt stff abt talking while removn d feather of a chicken  and lot more al i can say 4rm ds is trying 2 make us hygenic bc atimes when u talk esp while cookn some saliva might get into what u're doin thereby contaminating it.They hv dr reasons bt most are traditns laid down by sources dy demselves dont know,if u ask dm why or d motive bhnd what dy say or do dy dont know just be ready 4 a season of lecture. lastly hv u seen or heard of dustin or clapn ur hands after squeezn ur maggi? i love u all, just continue 2 b obedient and dont argue or else you wont have meat 4 ur meal
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by mobby4ever(f): 1:15pm On Nov 04, 2009
My Mum taught me to alwz wash my hands immediately I step into the Kitchen. Also I must make sure no leftovers, as some people dont have wot to eat.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by sweetliet: 1:23pm On Nov 04, 2009
how to wash my hands inside d soup after adding salt and maggi
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Elgaxton(m): 1:38pm On Nov 04, 2009
Never cover any DRAW SOUP while its still hot, it won't draw properly.

Don't put green leaves too early while cooking,

make sure the soup/food is about done b4 adding leaves so it can still be fresh

Taste the soup to check for whether its over salty or less salty.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Akanniade(m): 1:41pm On Nov 04, 2009
To not cover ewedu/okro when warming, otherwise it wud lose the sliminess

To put a knife upside down behind the pot when cooking moi moi.

To cover the pot tightly when cooking beans so it gets done on time.

To start scrubbin beans soaked in water early enough as it gets done faster.

Pepper ground with OLO tastes sweeter than than the one with ERO grin grin

To do HA HA Ha on the gizzard in the chicken before cutting it.

To tell the ELERO to put less water when grindin the beans when it is for AKARA.

Making pap without cooking it on fire required special skill and patience.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by alimat2(f): 2:10pm On Nov 04, 2009
sweetliet:

Hmmmmmmmmmmm,what a Mother!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Hanoobaba(m): 2:14pm On Nov 04, 2009
I also learnt a few things from my popsey. His own type of cooking is the sharp sharp style and they taste horrible. Sprinkle a little garri in the water on fire to make it boil faster. At the end of the day eba will have lumps and the colour will be light. YUCK. You also need to see his watery vegetables with too much pepper, the types that will make you shit.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Theblessed(f): 2:20pm On Nov 04, 2009
sweetliet:

Really? Wash your hand in the soup after adding maggie cube?  What a kitchen skill! No wonder my belly to pain me here. cry cry cry cry cry cry

Whatever happened to HYGIENE AND CLEANLINESS IN THIS HOUSEHOLD Can someone help re-educating this person and don't blame mother please!  Probably didn't have much education herself but the young lady needs plenty of it, help!!!
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by soulamanne(m): 2:24pm On Nov 04, 2009
coverin yam with nylon so that there will be enough heat to coook it well.thought it was compulsory
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by koolchicco: 3:38pm On Nov 04, 2009
soulamanne:

coverin yam with nylon so that there will be enough heat to coook it well.thought it was compulsory

Yam doesn't take long to cook anyways. cool
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Theblessed(f): 4:05pm On Nov 04, 2009
[b]Well, my mother was a teacher and this tread is reminding me or bringing back memories of her - she died 8yrs ago. cry cry cry cry cry From the age of 5 I started helping my mother in the kitchen and by the time I was 7yrs old, I was already an expert. At that age I could still remember my mum advising to get everything ready, cover them up because of flies before you start.  For example, wash and prepare all ingredients you need first e.g. meat, okra, vegetables as well as blend those that needs blending e.g. pepper (dry or fresh), egusi, agbono, achi/ukpo, crayfish.  And those that needs hot water to clean, boil and soak them up in hot water, rinse thoroughly and cover up to deter flies from touching your food because they carry germs that can cause you, belly problems, hear it!.lol!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin I still could hear my mum saying that as if it was yesterday. Bless her heart! However, mum insisted on cook, wash/clean and tidy up as you go because it saves time and effort.  

On tasting the soup, she insisted to taste with a tablespoon instead of the one you are cooking with for hygiene reasons - no one wants to leak you saliva, did you hear? She would enquire?. Hygiene was so important in the home I grew up in - you can't get away from it, not with parents like mine - both were enlightened (mother a teacher and father a Nursing Educator). It followed me even in my own household right now, it's unavoidable what you pick up in childhood and what childhood upbringing can do to your lifestyle.  Even now as an adult, we go out quite often but I rarely eat outside as I insist on eating my own home made meals good or bad! At least, I'm sure how it is prepared and who prepared it! Scary, to see  other people's standard of hygiene and eating your own is much, much safer - no doubts!

I'm so grateful to mums all over the world for instilling in us these basic survival skills and I'm not going to say, especially their daughters because, their sons too should be taught how to survive as kitchen skills are important to both male/female offspring. Kitchen is not meant for women only. Just like women, men have bellies and eat much food than women therefore, should learn how to cook, period.
[/b]
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by sweetliet: 4:13pm On Nov 04, 2009
@theblessed who needs all dis story about ur mother jare abeg read and summarize for me jare.

u want to educate me, come to my room my pikin and do dat
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by blandish: 4:26pm On Nov 04, 2009
if you are frying 10 pieces of meat,

when you put salt in the meat, taste 1,
if you put maggi, taste another 1,
if you feel say the meat neva done, taste 1,
when you dey fry, taste another 1

grin so that buy the time you finish cooking, only one piece of meat go remain for your husband,

if your husband misbehaves, taste the last one so that he will wak without mean grin grin
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by 0sisi: 4:28pm On Nov 04, 2009
blandish:

if you are frying 10 pieces of meat,

when you put salt in the meat, taste 1,
if you put maggi, taste another 1,
if you feel say the meat neva done, taste 1,
when you dey fry, taste another 1

grin so that buy the time you finish cooking, only one piece of meat go remain for your husband,

if your husband misbehaves, taste the last one so that he will wak without mean grin grin

Infact you need to taste his own right infront of him.Divide it in 2 and eat half to assure him you didn't poison the food grin
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by sweetliet: 4:57pm On Nov 04, 2009
@blandish bad kitchen habit ur learnt dia are u sure it ur mama dat tot u dis or u learn dem on ur own
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by mavenbox: 5:01pm On Nov 04, 2009
sweetliet:

@theblessed who needs all dis story about your mother jare abeg read and summarize for me jare.

u want to educate me, come to my room my pikin and do dat

Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by housespeak: 5:04pm On Nov 04, 2009
wrong thread,
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by koolchicco: 5:06pm On Nov 04, 2009
housespeak:

wrong thread,

Newbie undecided oopss srry,I mean Old wine in a new bottle. grin
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by lawrence83: 6:20pm On Nov 04, 2009
She won't even allow me go close to that place.

With four sisters, i always dread that place call kitchen.

Now is really affecting me. cos i cant cook one nice meal.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Fhemmmy: 7:03pm On Nov 04, 2009
lawrence83:

She won't even allow me go close to that place.

With four sisters, i always dread that place call kitchen.

Now is really affecting me. cos i cant cook one nice meal.

Me and you in same boat, but i watch my woman cook and now i can cook
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Hauwa1: 7:14pm On Nov 04, 2009
koolchicco,

can one use dried bitter leaf for bitterleaf soup? will it still taste great?

my mom would say the secret of a less sleepy soup is buying light palm oil not the thick sleepy ones grin
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by koolchicco: 7:35pm On Nov 04, 2009
*Hauwa*:

koolchicco,

can one use dried bitter leaf for bitterleaf soup? will it still taste great?

my mom would say the secret of a less sleepy soup is buying light palm oil not the thick sleepy ones grin

Yes u can. In fact i used it in the Onugbu soup I made yesterday.

However, don't forget to soak it in hot water b4 adding.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? / ###EUROSONIC DISTRIBUTOR: Get Your Kitchen/home Appliances @ Wholesale Prices. / Price Of This Item At Tantalizer And Sweet Sensation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.