Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,214 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:47 AM

Yorubas Are Not Cowards - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yorubas Are Not Cowards (4489 Views)

Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa / Why Ndigbo Should Stop Viewing Yoruba's As Cowards- Reno Omokri / Yorubas Are NOT Cowards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yorubas Are Not Cowards by seyi360(m): 3:37pm On Apr 06, 2016
Let me start by asking those who propagate the obnoxious theory that Yorubas are cowards how they arrived at that notion? What yardsticks or parameters was deployed to measure cowardice? Perhaps an experiment was carried out at some social science laboratory that led to the conclusion that Yorubas are cowards. I really would love to know. Probably there were circumstances or situations devoid of delusional thinking that supports the claim. Someone please fill me in.
When I ask other tribes why they think that Yorubas are cowards, they say that the Yoruba man is afraid to fight for fear of his life.
I honestly think it's a shameful thing for any group of people to beat their chest and say they are not afraid to die.
It's the height of irresponsibility for any group of people to take their lives for granted in a bid to prove that they are brave.
Sophisticated stupidity is the only reason why anyone would endanger his life in a quest to prove bravery, not taking into cognizance the grief his demise would cause his family and the responsibilities his death would leave behind.

Those who are bereft of the intellectual capacity to analytically navigate their ways through conflicts will inevitably resort to violence.
In this age when civility and diplomatic alliances has substituted volatility and aggression, it's absolutely ridiculous for any group of people to take pride in their self acclaimed ability to fight and die fighting for any cause.
Unlike these group of people who are ready to kill and destroy and don't mind been killed in the act, the Yoruba man values and appreciates life. He knows that life has no duplicate and he is ready to protect it jealously.

Therefore, he would rather maneuver and negotiate himself out of death and destruction instead of fighting and probably lose his life and property.
A Yoruba adage says "Moja mosa lakinkanju", meaning a true warrior knows when to attack and when to retreat. A warrior who doesn't know how to retreat will not make it home to tell war tales.

This act of wisdom was epitomized by the protagonist of the Civil War, Ojukwu when he retreated to Ivory coast, without which he would have been captured or murdered.

However, when it becomes inevitable to defend one's life, family and nation, it's on record how the Ibadan warriors defended their city against terrorists from the north.
The exploits of the late General Benjamin Adekunle and other Yoruba officers who wasted Biafra soilders and prevented them from actualising their Biafra dream is on record.
Have we forgotten so quickly the role played by the legendary music icon, the abami eda himself, Fela Anikulapo Kuti who used the instrumentality of music to criticize and checkmate the excesses of Military dictatorship in this country. He even lost his mother in the struggle. If that wasn't bravery, then what exactly is bravery?
The late Chief MKO Abiola was offered freedom from prison by Abacha, he rejected the offer, stuck to his guns, defied all threats, stood by his mandate and lost his wife(kudirat) in the struggle.
Perhaps the ultimate sacrifice he paid for the democracy we boast of in Nigeria today is not a sign of bravery. Someone please tell me what bravery is.

What shall we say of the likes of late Pa Adekunle Ajasin, Abraham Adesanya, Bola Ige, Tunji Braithwaite, Wole Soyinka, Bola Tinubu, Pastor Tunde Bakare, Yinka Odumakin and others who in the face of death and hell radically and vehemently opposed in unequivocal terms the tyranny and draconian ways of the power drunk General Sanni Abacha. Even IBB couldn't sleep with both eyes closed for fear of these fearless freedom and justice fighters. If that wasn't a manifestation of bravery, may be these people need to return to school to know what bravery is.

By the way, the most radical and outspoken governor today is a Yoruba man in the person of Ayodele Fayose.

For 16 consecutive years, the South west courageously stood in the opposition challenging and check mating the federal government, unlike these political prostitutes who gallivant with anyone in power and lay claim to bravery by blowing up pipelines, kidnapping innocent people and killing themselves.

I also hear them say "Yoruba man no get mind". They say this in a derogatory way to slight him and make him feel he is weak. This comment is made mostly when an evil is about to be perpetuated, these people love money more than their very life and would betray, murder and do the unimaginable to get it. To them, been evil and merciless is the definition of bravery.
In other words, their understanding of bravery is swiftness to wickedness.
The average Yoruba man is not cultured to be brutal, mean and merciless. He would rather show mercy, respect and kindness.

Yorubas are adorned with intellectual dexterity that transcends the temptation of irrational aggression.
To balance this, let's even take it to the level of rascality, thuggery and street fighting. The Hausa community at different times in the south west has engaged their hosts in rioting, as expected they met their Waterloo.

So how on earth did anyone arrived at the notion that Yorubas are cowards?
A Niger delta activist once said on a television interview that unlike other tribes known for armed militancy, evidenced by the alarming rate of pipeline vandalism, kidnappings and bomb explosions that has ravaged their land, the South west geopolitical zone is known for intellectual militancy.

Intellectual militancy instead of armed militancy explains why Ekiti state parades the highest number of professors in the country.

Intellectual militancy instead of armed militancy explains why the most astute and skillful Nigerian politician today is none other than the Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Jagaban of Borgu who took after the most competent of Nigeria's founding fathers, the great Chief Obafemi Awolowo whose political integrity and wisdom has no match till date.

Intellectual militancy instead of armed militancy explains why the South west records the lowest rate of kidnapping, vandalism and explosions. Because we prefer to talk than to fight.

Intellectual militancy instead of armed militancy explains why these special group of people are the most enlightened, most educated, most exposed, most social, most respectful, most politically and spiritually correct not just in Nigeria, perhaps in the whole of West Africa.
In a nutshell, when next some persons calls you, Yoruba man or woman a coward, let them know that we are not cowards, rather we have a second thought to violence.

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by Fleshly: 3:44pm On Apr 06, 2016
seyi360:

Intellectual militancy instead of armed militancy explains why Ekiti state parades the highest number of professors in the country.

You've come again win this your unverified facts, from the gutter press media. Which ekiti parades the highest number of professors?

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by Francis5: 3:48pm On Apr 06, 2016
Fleshly:

You've come again win this your unverified facts, from the gutter press media. Which ekiti parades the highest number of professors?

That is how they claimed that Yabatech is the third higher institution in Africa and twenty-seventh in the world, until they were forced to pull that claim out of their website. Bunchaa deluded, shitty-ars/e mofos

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by Olabestonic001(m): 3:51pm On Apr 06, 2016
If you allow a man that beats his chest to manipulate or blackmail you to do his nefarious bidding, boss, you dey on your own.

2 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by Nobody: 3:55pm On Apr 06, 2016
Not minding the two simpleton hanging overhead
seyi360 yorubas arent coward,its just mischief makers who are intimidated about their bravery and diplomacy
next time someone decides to call yoruba cowards,remind them of the worst events in their history,then watch them crawl off in tears

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by NewNigeriaMind: 4:06pm On Apr 06, 2016
Op this exact happened to me recently.

Imagine when did taking precaution for one"s safety become cowardise. I wanted to go out to see a client in a dangerous part of ph yesterday so I asked my driver to confirm the situation of things over there.

Note this is a place that as at 8am yesterday I heard ther was protest that a major road was blocked, and the youths were on the street protesting the death of one of them killed by cultists.

So around 10am I asked my driver to call the man I was going to see to confirm things are fine. Shortly after this, the igbo girl with me (a guest) said "la****" u too dey fear, u be yoruba sa!!! Needless to say I was shocked is an understatement.

So I asked her what is the wisdom in going to a place that you have been told is unsafe without caution. Is it that such a person wants to die for nothing. So I concluded, well you are igbo and dying for nothing is normal for your people. She didnt talk to me till we went to bed yesterday.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by seyi360(m): 4:16pm On Apr 06, 2016
NewNigeriaMind:
Op this exact happened to me recently.

Imagine when did taking precaution for one"s safety become cowardise. I wanted to go out to see a client in a dangerous part of ph yesterday so I asked my driver to confirm the situation of things over there.

Note this is a place that as at 8am yesterday I heard ther was protest that a major road was blocked, and the youths were on the street protesting the death of one of them killed by cultists.

So around 10am I asked my driver to call the man I was going to see to confirm things are fine. Shortly after this, the igbo girl with me (a guest) said "la****" u too dey fear, u be yoruba sa!!! Needless to say I was shocked is an understatement.

So I asked her what is the wisdom in going to a place that you have been told is unsafe without caution. Is it that such a person wants to die for nothing. So I concluded, well you are igbo and dying for nothing is normal for your people. She didnt talk to me till we went to bed yesterday.

Exactly my point, wisdom is the principal thing. Even Ojukwu knew better.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by seyi360(m): 4:19pm On Apr 06, 2016
Fleshly:

Unverified facts? You must be a learner.
Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by seyi360(m): 4:22pm On Apr 06, 2016
Francis5:

That is how they claimed that Yabatech is the third higher institution in Africa and twenty-seventh in the world, until they were forced to pull that claim out of their website. Bunchaa deluded, shitty-ars/e mofos

Bro, read again, there is no place in that post that suggests anything about Yabatech. Your comments are off track

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by ArodewilliamsT: 4:32pm On Apr 06, 2016
We all know that yorubas are never ready to die for any just cause, but are ready to use their AK47 mouths to fight those who preserve their pride fighting for a cause they believe. yorubas want to live forever.
yoruba sophistication 101 lessons:

-If the hausa/fulanis invade your land, run away, preserve your life, and let them put their Emir on your land because life has no duplicate.

- If other people are bravely fighting off invaders, discourage the fighters and ask them why they want to kill themselves fighting to preserve their land. Encourage them to simply allow the hausa/fulani take over their land and put an Emirate in it. If they refuse to give up fighting, call them "gullible Ipod youths".

Now that's real sophistication.
grin cheesy

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by Nobody: 4:39pm On Apr 06, 2016
Very true
those cowardly ak47 mouth and sophisticated brain led to the death of some 3 million braggarts
ArodewilliamsT:
We all know that yorubas are never ready to die for any just cause, but are ready to use their AK47 mouths to fight those who preserve their pride fighting for a cause they believe. yorubas want to live forever.

-If the hausa/fulanis invade your land, run away, preserve your life, and let them put their Emir on your land because life has no duplicate.

- If other people are bravely fighting off invaders, discourage the fighters and ask them why they want to kill themselves fighting to preserve their land. Encourage them to simply allow the hausa/fulani take over their land and put an Emirate in it. If they refuse to give up fighting, call them gullible Ipod youths.

grin cheesy

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by Movic1(m): 4:43pm On Apr 06, 2016
Those who attack with Gun and suicide bombings are the real cowards! Agbo to su ma eyin agbara lolo muwa grin grin grin grin Thats what many people that call us coward fails to understand.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by Movic1(m): 4:48pm On Apr 06, 2016
Fleshly:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekiti

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by NewNigeriaMind: 4:51pm On Apr 06, 2016
ArodewilliamsT:

- If other people are bravely fighting off invaders, discourage the fighters and ask them why they want to kill themselves fighting to preserve their land. Encourage them to simply allow the hausa/fulani take over their land and put an Emirate in it. If they refuse to give up fighting, call them gullible Ipod youths.

grin cheesy

I wasnt going to say anything but then sometimes we have to indulge fools.

Guess what two women are missing in enugu right now,their village men were released yesterday after two brave yorubas called out the government for arresting 76 igbo men, throw them in prison because they went looking for the two igbo women kidnapped by fulani herdsmen. Fyi no igbo leader was brave enough to say a thing about till now.

Today,I read their is a fulani community in enugu and they were the people that asked the soldiers to arrest those men.

And till now, nobody knows where the two women are located.

Who is the coward here......

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by NewNigeriaMind: 4:53pm On Apr 06, 2016
Hagm0nd:
Very true
those ak47 mouth and sophisticated brain led to the death of some 3 million people

And the bravest of them all ran to ivory coast.....lol. after sacrificing over 3million of igbo blood on the altar of chest beating.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by Nobody: 4:56pm On Apr 06, 2016
@OP. why are people opinions eating you up? Antagonism is part of the society..
Every tribe and nation have things that have been said against them.
Are the Igbos complaining over the Media propagandas about them? they now have a tough skin over such.
I think that Nigeria need a Ministry Of National Integration.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by Nobody: 4:57pm On Apr 06, 2016
When soyinka and solarin were both arrested because of the support they gave to their imaginary country
achebe ran out of the country in a g-string
now people that is bravery
NewNigeriaMind:

And the bravest of them all ran to ivory coast.....lol. after sacrificing over 3million of igbo blood on the altar of chest beating.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by NewNigeriaMind: 5:03pm On Apr 06, 2016
Hagm0nd:
When soyinka and solarin was arrested because of the support of their imaginary country
achebe ran out of the country in a g-string
now people that is bravery

And even now in 2016, while no igbo man thats worth anything has the guts to speak of biafra. The onlg voice worth anything speaking on biafra is ffk a yoruba man.

I will ask again,if you remove ffk and fayose from pdp. Nothing will be heard of the party again. Cause these igbo pdp members will first shit in their pants before they face buhari

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by NewNigeriaMind: 5:05pm On Apr 06, 2016
Adaure4ever:
Are the Igbos complaining over the Media propagandas about them? they now have a tough skin over such.

When a lie is left unchecked it begins to sound true.

Such is the fallacy of igbo liking money than other tribes.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by wristbangle: 5:06pm On Apr 06, 2016
Adaure4ever:

I don't think so @ the bolded. His replies to people's opinion is thorough/diplomatic and not on the rejection side.

5 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by Nobody: 5:07pm On Apr 06, 2016
The late Chief MKO Abiola was offered freedom from prison by Abacha, he rejected the offer, stuck to his guns, defied all threats, stood by his mandate and lost his wife(kudirat) in the struggle.
Perhaps the ultimate sacrifice he paid for the democracy we boast of in Nigeria today is not a sign of bravery. Someone please tell me what bravery is. i like this part .where were yoruba elders at this time

6 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by seunny4lif(m): 5:09pm On Apr 06, 2016
grin grin
Why I go wan die grin grin

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by Nobody: 5:09pm On Apr 06, 2016
Ffk is doing that as the payment for drilling a borehole in bianca(OJUKWU)
Ffk not cool bro
NewNigeriaMind:

And even now in 2016, while no igbo man thats worth anything has the guts to speak of biafra. The onlg voice worth anything speaking on biafra is ffk a yoruba man.

I will ask again,if you remove ffk and fayose from pdp. Nothing will be heard of the party again. Cause these igbo pdp members will first shit in their pants before they face buhari

6 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by LionInZion: 5:14pm On Apr 06, 2016
Those who do that are empty chest beaters, remember how they told us they were going to blow up Nigeria by December 2015? This is 2016 April and the chest beating still continues. Though I dont like generalising, because stupid people can be found among all tribes, yet calling Yoruba race coward is the height of stupidity.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by OBAGADAFFI: 5:17pm On Apr 06, 2016
@OP Ironically most Human right activists that fought against Military dictators and for democracy are YORUBAS.

They are just angry that the YORUBAS are too wise to join them in their senseless chests-beating and warmongering.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by brize(m): 5:18pm On Apr 06, 2016
Yorubas are cowards until they prove otherwise....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by Nobody: 5:21pm On Apr 06, 2016
NewNigeriaMind:

its because Igbos do not rely on Government to survive, He works hard to feed himself and family and also develop his community.
historically many Igbo communities organised themselves in a democratic style without relying on a King..
National Integration will start when we first learning about the lifestyles of every tribe and accomodating it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by Nobody: 5:21pm On Apr 06, 2016
Only cowards eats his children flesh and drink their blood during wars-OJUKWU
brize:

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by Movic1(m): 5:22pm On Apr 06, 2016
brize:
Proofs like wearing bomb belt/ exploding it in a crowded area right

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by seyi360(m): 5:22pm On Apr 06, 2016
Adaure4ever:

When mischief makers propagate falsehood, and misinform others with the opposite of what is true, you really think someone won't be obligated to factually set the records straight?
Re: Yorubas Are Not Cowards by NewNigeriaMind: 5:26pm On Apr 06, 2016
Adaure4ever:
its because Igbos do not rely on Government to survive, He works hard to feed himself and family and also develop his community.
historically many Igbo communities organised themselves in a democratic style without relying on a King..
National Integration will start when we first learning about the lifestyles of every tribe and accomodating it.

What is the correlation between playing opposition politics and hustling to survive. Are the majority igbo pdp members not politicians? What are yoy saying?

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Truth About The Zenith Bank Staff Kneeling Down / Osita Chidoka 2017 / BREAKING: APC Chieftain Ifeanyi Ararume Defects To APGA In Imo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.