Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,142 members, 7,953,523 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:56 PM

Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? (39304 Views)

11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make / 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners / 10 Disgusting Ways Nigerians Behave When They Become Car Owners? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Apr 07, 2016
Umuchoke:

Nna, biko jiri nwayo. No car, I repeat, no car can take you from Lagos to the east without stopping to refill.
that's not true nwanne. I drive my s class from lagos to asaba at 2/5 tank
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Apr 07, 2016
gmacnoms:
I don't know you, but it seems ur very gud with cars. My dad's eod always start jerking when sspeedin gets to 40-50km/h. Has tried different mechanics but none seem to hav given d solution. What could be the cos and what's d solution
Cc: gazzuz
bros check that ur fuel pump is OK, or ur alloy wheel is not bent or tyre needs balancing

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Apr 07, 2016
Umuchoke:

Nna, biko jiri nwayo. No car, I repeat, no car can take you from Lagos to the east without stopping to refill.

You can't make this statement, without knowing the engine capacity, and the size of the fuel tank. smiley

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by IYANGBALI: 8:39pm On Apr 07, 2016
It has not being easy at all o,but thank God for his mercies
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Eyop: 8:40pm On Apr 07, 2016
Umuchoke:

You are wrong. A 2006 Toyota Corolla took me from Lagos to Imo State without stopping to refill. A Lexus RX330 has also taken me from Lagos to Owerri though it was already indicating low fuel. The distance from Lagos to the East is almost same like from Lagos to Abuja which full tank of Toyota Matrix also took me from Lagos to Abuja without stopping to buy fuel.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Najyin(m): 8:59pm On Apr 07, 2016
Just bought a v6 Camry and the o/d button has been switched on since I've been driving it and realised the fuel consumption was high. I just switched the o/d button off but I've not been able to get fuel since then. Will the fuel consumption reduce while I drive on steady gear 2 ?
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by mexxy1(m): 9:10pm On Apr 07, 2016
So far, I've not had any issues. V6 or not, I drive around with AC on. You only live once.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 9:14pm On Apr 07, 2016
Umuchoke:

From Lagos to Owerri (about 7 hrs. 30 mins) is 535 kilometres / 335 miles. Most cars, even fairly poorly maintained ones will make this trip on a full tank of fuel, with litres to spare.

I drove from the Maidstone, Kent, England to Dover, (32 miles) crossed over via train in the Euro Tunnel, then drove from Calais to Vanne, Britanny, France (404 miles). Total travelling time 7 hrs. 57 mins, total distance 36 miles. This was done in a 2001 Audi S8 Quattro, so we're talking 4.2 V8 2 x DOHC 40V, with a 5-speed Tiptronic transmission.

I arrived in Vanne with a 15 mile fuel range remaining. I had filled the tank to the brim in Maidstone, starting off with a 305 fuel range, which as I drove, recalculated and maxed out at 510 miles. Fuel tank capacity is 90 litres.

Bro, a 1999 Toyota Camry 3.0 V6 WILL make the trip from Lagos to Owerri with a full tank (70 litres) without refuelling. If it doesn't, then there's something wrong with the car, or it's driver.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Apr 07, 2016
Najyin:
Just bought a v6 Camry and the o/d button has been switched on since I've been driving it and realised the fuel consumption was high. I just switched the o/d button off but I've not been able to get fuel since then. Will the fuel consumption reduce while I drive on steady gear 2 ?

Overdrive makes for more relaxed long-distance driving. While it is switched on, e engine will use less fuel, as it will be doing less rpm for a relatively high speed (73 mph @ 2875 rpm vs with overdrive switched off, 73 mph @ 3200 rpm).

I don't understand the highlighted part of your post.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by dokiOloye(m): 9:23pm On Apr 07, 2016
Umuchoke:

chaiii.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by theGuest: 9:38pm On Apr 07, 2016
diportivo:
Na wa o undecided

Its either u can get fuel to buy or not na

Eg,u av an i4 engine car and cant get fuel to buy

I av a v6 and fuel dey my area.....wld the capacity matter?

If u are rejoicing cos u av an i4,an okada owner will surely be in heaven

And a V8 owner wld be contemplating suicide

grin grin grin

Someone I know drives a GMC Yukon XL SUV (2016). It's a 5.3L V8 and huge! Bet we can fit a Picanto and still have 5 people seated.
I use to pity the guy on how much fuel that thing gobs.

Then, I got driven in that car. On the dashboard, I noticed a HUD that changes from V8 to V4!! Seems this car only fires all its cylinder when it is needed! The default is actually V4!!! So recent V8 SUV might not be a suicidal toy

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Apr 07, 2016
Siena:

From Lagos to Owerri (about 7 hrs. 30 mins) is 535 kilometres / 335 miles. Most cars, even fairly poorly maintained ones will make this trip on a full tank of fuel, with litres to spare.

I drove from the Maidstone, Kent to Dover, (32 miles) crossed over via train in the Euro Tunnel, then drove from Calais to Vanne, Britanny (404 miles). Total travelling time 7 hrs. 57 mins, total distance 36 miles. This was done in a 2001 Audi S8 Quattro, so we're talking 4.2 V8 2 x DOHC 40V, with a 5-speed Tiptronic transmission.

I arrived in Vanne with a 15 mile fuel range remaining. I had filled the tank to the brim in Maidstone, starting off with a 305 fuel range, which as I drove, recalculated and maxed out at 510 miles. Fuel tank capacity is 90 litres.

Bro, a 1999 Toyota Camry 3.0 V6 WILL make the trip from Lagos to Owerri with a full tank (70 litres) without refuelling. If it doesn't, then there's something wrong with the car, or it's driver.
pls sir, kindly explain the embolded
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 07, 2016
kapable75:

pls sir, kindly explain the embolded

No worries bro.

4.2 litre V8, with DOHC (Double Over Head Camshafts) on each bank of the "V", with 40 valves (5 valves per cylinder).
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Apr 07, 2016
Siena:

No worries bro.

4.2 litre V8, with DOHC (Double Over Head Camshafts) on each bank of the "V", with 40 valves (5 valves per cylinder).
thanks for your swift response. The 5 valves per cylinder got me thinking tho.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by greatbrian(m): 9:50pm On Apr 07, 2016
V6 still better imagine V8. Or pathfinder jeep
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by tushbobo(m): 9:55pm On Apr 07, 2016
I have not spent more than 30 minutes on a fuel queue since the scarcity started. Full tank lasts about 10 days which is fair enough for me. I love the power I get from my v6.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by 9icetoo(m): 10:02pm On Apr 07, 2016
yuzedo:

October 2015.

Drove full-tank from Lagos to Awka in a V6. Had over 1/4 when I arrived my destination.

Fueled the next day at Asaba and drove back. Just below half tank at arrival in Lagos.
what car? and what is the size of your tank?
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by diportivo: 10:03pm On Apr 07, 2016
theGuest:

Someone I know drives a GMC Yukon XL SUV (2016). It's a 5.3L V8 and huge! Bet we can fit a Picanto and still have 5 people seated.

Then, I got driven in that car. On the dashboard, I noticed a HUD that changes from V8 to V4!! Seems this car only fires all its cylinder when it is needed! The default is actually V4!!! So recent V8 SUV might not be a suicidal toy

What i wrote was in the context of what the op used to start this thread

Of cos i kw what u mean

Even honda has the VCM mode for some v6 engine

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Najyin(m): 10:20pm On Apr 07, 2016
Siena:

Overdrive makes for more relaxed long-distance driving. While it is switched on, e engine will use less fuel, as it will be doing less rpm for a relatively high speed (73 mph @ 2875 rpm vs with overdrive switched off, 73 mph @ 3200 rpm).
I don't understand the highlighted part of your post.

Heard from a previous post that with o/d switched on, the car consumes more fuel. So I searched for it and switched it off on the gear lever. I've now decided to drive it while the gear lever is placed on 2 or L rather than on D. So my question is if the fuel consumption will reduce if I do this when I eventually get fuel. Thanks
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by 9icetoo(m): 10:23pm On Apr 07, 2016
Siena:

I drove from the Maidstone, Kent, England to Dover, (32 miles) crossed over via train in the Euro Tunnel, then drove from Calais to Vanne, Britanny, France (404 miles). Total travelling time 7 hrs. 57 mins, total distance 36 miles. This was done in a 2001 Audi S8 Quattro, so we're talking 4.2 V8 2 x DOHC 40V, with a 5-speed Tiptronic transmission.

I know you like your 40 valve v8 however I have made an observation on cars with big engines. they almost always have a very big tank. usually between 90 litres and 150.
the car manufacturers fit these tanks knowing fully well that these cars guzzle fuel and would need all the fuel they can get to achieve a good range.
i4's are more economical but dependent on two assumptions 1). that the engine displacement is generally below 1.8 litre and the car weighs no more than a corolla. manufacturers try to get the power to weight ratio right to achieve high mpgs.
you mentioned a 5 series with a 1.8 litre i4 engine. I'm sure that engine output was less than 120 horsepower. with the weight of the 5 series, that engine was bound to return low mpg. the i6 produced 150 HP which was sufficient power for a car that size. this helped skew the mpg in its favour.
across all modern mid size sedans, the i4 engines are always advertised as having better mpgs than their v6 counterparts.
i4s suffer when lumped into bigger cars but return best FE when fitted to smaller cars where they belong.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by lomaxbien(m): 10:24pm On Apr 07, 2016
Let the fuel scarcity break my left nyash...
I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO I4...V6-V12 all the way. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Apr 07, 2016
theGuest:

Then, I got driven in that car. On the dashboard, I noticed a HUD that [b]changes from V8 to V4!! Seems this car only fires all its cylinder when it is needed! [/b]The default is actually V4!!! So recent V8 SUV might not be a suicidal toy

Cylinder Deactivation.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by 9icetoo(m): 10:30pm On Apr 07, 2016
lrguru:
that's not true nwanne. I drive my s class from lagos to asaba at 2/5 tank
and that translates to how many litres?
we have a benz 560 in the family that does Enugu to asaba and back on one tank and a kia cerrato that does same.
now the above is a distorted fact as closer examination shows the the Benz uses 90 litres for this journey while the kia uses 38 litres.
the Benz has a tank capacity of roughly a whooping 100 litres while the kia takes roughly 50 litres(estimate as I have never filled it up yo the brim before).
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by greggng: 10:33pm On Apr 07, 2016
Even if u dash me i4 engine cars I won't collect it from u. U can neva compare it with v6. Team v6 for life
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Danfuster(m): 11:37pm On Apr 07, 2016
lomaxbien:
Let the fuel scarcity break my left nyash...
I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO I4...V6-V12 all the way. grin grin grin grin grin

Kikikiki.... Your comment tho, you want them i4 owners to jump in the lagoon with frustrating intimidation grin grin
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by scobaba: 11:51pm On Apr 07, 2016
I hav long asked wifey to park her v8 range. Its takes 110 litres to fill. Still it runs down after 3 days. Na my hyundai elantra sure pass, 60 litres lasts 7 days.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by OBAnkemi: 12:24am On Apr 08, 2016
Siena:
It's a common misconception that a V6 engine will use more fuel than an I4.

Fuel consumption is determined by:

Engine capacity.
Internal friction.
Emission level.
Vehicle weight.
Transmission type.

The most determining factor is the engine capacity. This is is the actual swept volume of the engine, the cylinder bores the pistons operate in. It stands to reason the larger the capacity, the more fuel is required to feed it. Sometimes though, the engine is designed to run lean (lean-burn technology) and so a 2.2L engine MAY use LESS fuel than a 1.8L version with standard fuel injection. Design is key.

Internal friction will also affect fuel mileage. This is where there is more resistance to rotation and piston movement. More resistance will require x amount more of fuel.

Emission levels are becoming increasingly stringent. We're currently on Euro 5, though 6 is just being introduced. The lower the emission level number, the more fuel the engine will use.

The myths that a V6 engine will use more fuel than an I4 are just that - myths. The main assumption here is that a V6 engine has a larger capacity than an I4. This is not always the case.

A Mazda 1.8 comes as a V6 in the '97 gMazda 323F. It WILL use LESS fuel than a 2.2 I4 in the '98 Toyota Camry. Euro 2 Vs Euro 2.
A Porsche 3.0 comes as an I4 in the '91 Porsche 944 S2. It WILL use MORE fuel than a 3.2 V6 FSI in a 2006 Audi A4. Euro 3 Vs Euro 5.
A Jeep 4.0 comes as an I6 in the '99 Wrangler. It WILL use MORE fuel than a 3.7 V8 40V in a 1999 Audi A8 Quattro. Euro 3 Vs Euro 3.

The above are just 3 out of millions of variables. I will cite another example to do with weight.

A '91 E39 BMW 518i (1.8L I4) WILL use MORE fuel than a '91 E39 BMW 520i (2.0 I6). Both Euro 3, but the smaller 1.8 4 cylinder in a relatively heavy car will be working harder, and require MORE fuel as a result. The bigger 2.0 6 cylinder will have an easier time, and require LESS fuel. This is one of the reasons BMW dropped the 1.8 engine for the 1992 model year in the E39. For those who allow their mechanics to yank out their engines in favour of a smaller version, take note!

Transmission type will also determine how much 2 similar engines will use fuel.

Siena,......I doff my hat for you, much respect.
Seriously, u shud consider teaching in a university.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Sunymoore(m): 5:54am On Apr 08, 2016
Najyin:

Heard from a previous post that with o/d switched on, the car consumes more fuel. So I searched for it and switched it off on the gear lever. I've now decided to drive it while the gear lever is placed on 2 or L rather than on D. So my question is if the fuel consumption will reduce if I do this when I eventually get fuel. Thanks

You're already provided with answer above... O/D reduce fuel consumption by having high speed at low RPM...
Driving at L or 2 is equivalent to driving at gear 1 and 2 respectively on manual transmission... And you may not want to do that...
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Kakamorufu(m): 5:55am On Apr 08, 2016
crazygod:
Guy I swear its not easy. Any place wey I see say queue no dey, I enter and buy 5litres. I fit enter about 10 different service stations in a day just to maintain the level of petrol in my car. And the climate no even dey show love.
Anyway, expecting the rains anytime from now.
Eku fuel scarcity
awa niyen o
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by KA24DETT(m): 6:41am On Apr 08, 2016
Najyin:

Dude, you wasting gas bro
Put the overdrive on.. You just using low gas and burning fuel

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz E-class Wins Best Luxury Car On Earth / Best 5 Cars For Nigerian Roads / N679m:See World’s Most Expensive Bike With Gold,Diamonds & See-through Engine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.