Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,758 members, 7,820,633 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? (38612 Views)

11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make / 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners / 10 Disgusting Ways Nigerians Behave When They Become Car Owners? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Reference(m): 7:26am On Apr 08, 2016
evy1:
If police or road safety stop you for road, just keep moving. Nobody get fuel to chase you go anywhere.

grin Hahahaha....even law and order is breaking down. Kwarrapshun fighting back. Oh dear. The other day CCT adjourned due to 'bad light'. Now this. Hmmmm....when it rains it certainly pours.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by bdek(m): 10:23am On Apr 08, 2016
Siena:

You can't make this statement, without knowing the engine capacity, and the size of the fuel tank. smiley

Agreed with you sienna ,My corolla bank type took me from Abuja to lagos got a refill at berger MRS ojodu .which type of car can do that on 50 litres tank.
despite my aggression on the road.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 10:37am On Apr 08, 2016
Siena:
It's a common misconception that a V6 engine will use more fuel than an I4.

Fuel consumption is determined by:

Engine capacity.
Internal friction.
Emission level.
Vehicle weight.
Transmission type.

The most determining factor is the engine capacity. This is is the actual swept volume of the engine, the cylinder bores the pistons operate in. It stands to reason the larger the capacity, the more fuel is required to feed it. Sometimes though, the engine is designed to run lean (lean-burn technology) and so a 2.2L engine MAY use LESS fuel than a 1.8L version with standard fuel injection. Design is key.

Internal friction will also affect fuel mileage. This is where there is more resistance to rotation and piston movement. More resistance will require x amount more of fuel.

Emission levels are becoming increasingly stringent. We're currently on Euro 5, though 6 is just being introduced. The lower the emission level number, the more fuel the engine will use.

The myths that a V6 engine will use more fuel than an I4 are just that - myths. The main assumption here is that a V6 engine has a larger capacity than an I4. This is not always the case.

A Mazda 1.8 comes as a V6 in the '97 gMazda 323F. It WILL use LESS fuel than a 2.2 I4 in the '98 Toyota Camry. Euro 2 Vs Euro 2.
A Porsche 3.0 comes as an I4 in the '91 Porsche 944 S2. It WILL use MORE fuel than a 3.2 V6 FSI in a 2006 Audi A4. Euro 3 Vs Euro 5.
A Jeep 4.0 comes as an I6 in the '99 Wrangler. It WILL use MORE fuel than a 3.7 V8 40V in a 1999 Audi A8 Quattro. Euro 3 Vs Euro 3.

The above are just 3 out of millions of variables. I will cite another example to do with weight.

A '91 E34 BMW 518i (1.8L I4) WILL use MORE fuel than a '91 E34 BMW 520i (2.0 I6). Both Euro 3, but the smaller 1.8 4 cylinder in a relatively heavy car will be working harder, and require MORE fuel as a result. The bigger 2.0 6 cylinder will have an easier time, and require LESS fuel. This is one of the reasons BMW dropped the 1.8 engine for the 1992 model year in the E39. For those who allow their mechanics to yank out their engines in favour of a smaller version, take note!

Transmission type will also determine how much 2 similar engines will use fuel.
Siena the guy u countered said all things being equal.
Which means the only variable should be engine size and u went on writing epistles comparing different car models.
Now tell me are u saying a 2015 E-class with 4 cylinder engine will consume more fuel than the V6 and V8 variants?

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 11:03am On Apr 08, 2016
kokaneprodigy:

Siena the guy u countered said all things being equal.
Which means the only variable should be engine size and u went on writing epistles comparing different car models.
Now tell me are u saying a 2015 E-class with 4 cylinder engine will consume more fuel than the V6 and V8 variants?

If you feel my response is a long and useless epistle, then by all means, ignore it. As for your query, the answer lies in my long and useless epistle. smiley

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Stancity(m): 4:19pm On Apr 08, 2016
Siena:

If you feel my response is a long and useless epistle, then by all means, ignore it. As for your query, the answer lies in my long and useless epistle. smiley
This response na counter attack oo smiley

4 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Apr 08, 2016
Siena:

grin grin grin The epistle no do am. He want another one again. Some people only talk to feel among.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by liciouspee(f): 5:46pm On Apr 08, 2016
So like I said earlier, I don't understand the car talk but I'll like some more info concerning cars. My mum drives a Lexus 300 n I noticed that the cruise info ain't stable, it changes whilst driving. What could be wrong and the solution? Thanks
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Apr 08, 2016
Stancity:
This response na counter attack oo smiley

My response is definitely not a counter attack. Kokaneprodigy is a brother. cool

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Apr 08, 2016
liciouspee:
So like I said earlier, I don't understand the car talk but I'll like some more info concerning cars. My mum drives a Lexus 300 n I noticed that the cruise info ain't stable, it changes whilst driving. What could be wrong and the solution? Thanks

Could you be a bit more specific sis? Which cruise info are you referring to?
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by apexquest(m): 6:24pm On Apr 08, 2016
johnsonjosbles:
Op na keke NAPEP wey full thank go take u 10days? Or ur working place na 1minut drive? Back to d topic, if by any means V6 owners are not rich dudes! Kindly do the needful and pack it to save ursef future embarassment.
my house to work na barely 10mins drive FYI, in fact the remaining fuel go carry me till Sunday. I just dey pray make them resolve this fuel issue before then.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Stancity(m): 8:15pm On Apr 08, 2016
Siena:

My response is definitely not a counter attack. Kokaneprodigy is a brother. cool
I get it boss..... wink
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Apr 08, 2016
9icetoo:

and that translates to how many litres?
we have a benz 560 in the family that does Enugu to asaba and back on one tank and a kia cerrato that does same.
now the above is a distorted fact as closer examination shows the the Benz uses 90 litres for this journey while the kia uses 38 litres.
the Benz has a tank capacity of roughly a whooping 100 litres while the kia takes roughly 50 litres(estimate as I have never filled it up yo the brim before).
my tank is 100 litres +. full tank can take me to lagos from Asaba and back with enough fuel left to take me around for about 1 week
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Apr 08, 2016
lrguru:
my tank is 100 litres +. full tank can take me to lagos from Asaba and back with enough fuel left to take me around for about 1 week

What car do you drive sir?
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by liciouspee(f): 10:39pm On Apr 08, 2016
Siena:

Could you be a bit more specific sis? Which cruise info are you referring to?
O, OK. Dunno hw to put it but will try,the cruise info where u shown hw many mpg u going while driving or so. That's d best I can do, hope u understand?
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 11:02pm On Apr 08, 2016
9icetoo:

I know you like your 40 valve v8 however I have made an observation on cars with big engines. they almost always have a very big tank. usually between 90 litres and 150.
the car manufacturers fit these tanks knowing fully well that these cars guzzle fuel and would need all the fuel they can get to achieve a good range.

I agree - to a certain extent.

However, the Audi A8 D3 2.8 V6 FSI (the baby of the range) also has a 90 litre tank. Generally manufacturers make use of as much of the space underneath the car as possible when considering fuel tank size. Engine consumption does play a role, but there are other contributory factors.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Apr 08, 2016
liciouspee:

O, OK. Dunno hw to put it but will try,the cruise info where u shown hw many mpg u going while driving or so. That's d best I can do, hope u understand?

I believe you're referring to the cruising range, sis.

It is impossible for the displayed range to remain stable. It will increase (more distance to empty) if the car is driven in an economical fashion. It will decrease (less distance to empty) if the car is driven hard, or the road has an incline. Headwinds and what gear you're using will also influence your cruising range.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by rockiedink(m): 12:36am On Apr 09, 2016
BluStreak:

One car I respect in terms of fuel economy is the 2005 Toyota Camry L4 alias BigForNothing. That car made Asaba - Lekki via Epe using only half thank of fuel. I refilled it at d fuel station at summit junction and got to Lekki Phase 1 with slightly above half tank left. At some point on the journey I felt the fuel gauge ain't working cos it just wasn't moving.

The only downside of that car is; it's underpowered. I don't know about the V6 variant. It doesn't give me that jolt synonymous with a sound V6 engine. That's the sole reason I don't do an L4.

Look for someone that has the V6 and ask him to let u drive it...you can talk to me sef... wink
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by uboma(m): 5:41am On Apr 09, 2016
Sunymoore:
A trusted mechanic on Nairaland, based in Lagos, Nigeria.

Gazzuzz is more than a mechanic. I would rather refer to him as an Auto-mobile Engineer.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by theGuest: 5:42am On Apr 09, 2016
diportivo:

What i wrote was in the context of what the op used to start this thread

Of cos i kw what u mean

Even honda has the VCM mode for some v6 engine

It's alright, bro.
I never knew! Siena said the technical term is Cylinder Deactivation. One question, is it the same set of cylinders that get deactivated or random. My guess will be random though
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by uboma(m): 5:57am On Apr 09, 2016
Siena:

Epic response.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 7:05am On Apr 09, 2016
Siena:

What car do you drive sir?
mercedes benz s320 w140 engine. that's the one I like using for long distant travel
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Sunymoore(m): 7:06am On Apr 09, 2016
uboma:

Gazzuzz is more than a mechanic. I would rather refer to him as an Auto-mobile Engineer.
Of course, but to avoid ambiguity, I used mechanic..
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by liciouspee(f): 7:09am On Apr 09, 2016
Siena:

I believe you're referring to the cruising range, sis.

It is impossible for the displayed range to remain stable. It will increase (more distance to empty) if the car is driven in an economical fashion. It will decrease (less distance to empty) if the car is driven hard, or the road has an incline. Headwinds and what gear you're using will also influence your cruising range.
O,basically it's D used whilst driving cus it's automatic so changes gear by itself or is what u referring to as "what gear you're using"? Anyway, thanks. Actually tot something was wrong. Thanks for the clarification.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 7:57am On Apr 09, 2016
Najyin:
Just bought a v6 Camry and the o/d button has been switched on since I've been driving it and realised the fuel consumption was high. I just switched the o/d button off but I've not been able to get fuel since then. Will the fuel consumption reduce while I drive on steady gear 2 ?
why will u drive ur car on steady gear 2. it means ur car will only get up to the 2nd gear, and when u fire it too much it will change to a higher gear, and that means higher rev/min and more fuel consumption
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 8:11am On Apr 09, 2016
kapable75:

pls sir, kindly explain the embolded
DOHC is double over head cam, which means at the top of the cylinder, there are two camshaft. 40V means 40 valve, which means each cylinder carries 5 valves since its 8 cylinder. some have 3 inlet valves per cylinder and two exhaust (outlet) valve. SOHC is single over head cam.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 8:22am On Apr 09, 2016
Najyin:

Heard from a previous post that with o/d switched on, the car consumes more fuel. So I searched for it and switched it off on the gear lever. I've now decided to drive it while the gear lever is placed on 2 or L rather than on D. So my question is if the fuel consumption will reduce if I do this when I eventually get fuel. Thanks
at 2 u will consume more fuel ma guy. drive on 'D'
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by kkulaja(m): 10:29am On Apr 09, 2016
Danfuster:

that must be a Mercedes, mine is a Benz E430 V8 16plugs. The only difference now is... My tank is now bigger all of a sudden, thanks to filling station adjusted Meter and pump price. Wanted to stunt one time, so I told the attendant "fill up", before I knew what was happening I don see 80ltr at 11,250 shocked and my tank was still asking for more, naso I tell attendant say make he stop for 12k. Come see Okada riders WY dey queue dey hail me

Mine is E320 V6 12plugs,but my tank s much smaller,I had filled it from reserve light on with less than 5k.the tank is even much smaller than that of my W124 i4.I filled that with 7k5.
I think the V6 tank is smaller as the fuel economy is great

But you seeing 80ltrs to read 11,500 means u are not buying at the normal pump price,80ltrs on normal pump price is less than 7k.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 10:38am On Apr 09, 2016
lrguru:
mercedes benz s320 w140 engine. that's the one I like using for long distant travel

Great choice of car. These cars were built for long-distance, high-speed cruising. smiley

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Emekayoung(m): 10:48am On Apr 09, 2016
dokiOloye:
chaiii.
Dont mind dem,even the toyota hiace i boarded from Good is Good transport company stopped on the way to refill...
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by 9icetoo(m): 11:08am On Apr 09, 2016
lrguru:
please correct me if I am wrong but isn't that a 2.0 litre v6 engine? if so then its economical as it has similar engine volume as most i4s. it will develop more power than the equivalent i4 and therefore will give better economy.
when I talk about v6 I usually refer to engine capacities of 3.0 litres and above.
nice car bro.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 11:52am On Apr 09, 2016
9icetoo:

please correct me if I am wrong but isn't that a 2.0 litre v6 engine? if so then its economical as it has similar engine volume as most i4s. it will develop more power than the equivalent i4 and therefore will give better economy.
when I talk about v6 I usually refer to engine capacities of 3.0 litres and above.
nice car bro.
no boss, its a 3.2 liter i6 engine.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? by Nobody: 11:54am On Apr 09, 2016
Siena:

Great choice of car. These cars were built for long-distance, high-speed cruising. smiley
sir the car is exceptional. even at 160-180km/hr cruise u feel u are just relaxing. no vibration or unnecessary inertia

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Has Anyone On Nairaland Used An Innoson Vehicle Before? What Was Your Experience / Toyota Corolla And Toyota Avensis, Which One Is The Best? / The 8 Most Expensive Cars In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.