Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,922 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:16 PM

Boko Haram Suspected Financier Executed - Which Way Nigeria - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram Suspected Financier Executed - Which Way Nigeria (34620 Views)

Major PDP Financier Arthur Eze Visits Buhari / Boko Haram Suspected To Have Shot Down Nigerian Air force Jet In Niger / Bomb Blast In Maiduguri, Boko Haram Suspected. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Boko Haram Suspected Financier Executed - Which Way Nigeria by ocelot2006(m): 2:32pm On Aug 04, 2009
idhigbe:

I would had commended the NPF for these executions if i was only sure that there are no ulterior motives behind the killings.

I view it from two points, the last crisis in Maiduguri had been the worst for the NPF, it lost a lot of officers. The painful part of it is this, if you leave these people in detention, before you know it they will be walking the streets free men. These people have caused a lot of pains to a lot of families. Do you know how many lives were lost? How many children that would never have a father to see them through life? They don't deserve the decency of a trial. They slaughtered men like animals, they deserve same fate.

Nigeria has always been a failed state. No be today. If the NPF did not take the action it did, the courts would had failed us all by setting this men free. Search the news. Mohammed yusuf was released on bail in January after being arrested for similar offense. Why was he released? Who effected the release?

But again, i stop to wonder. The claimed affluence in which Yusuf was to had been living in would make one wonder where he got his finances from. I don't believe only one man could fund a group this large. how can we be sure that the executions are not just a show to appease nigerians while still protecting the main people behind the scene? If and only if they had saved yusuf and tortured him more, i believe some names would had come out that will shock the living shit out of Nigerians.

These riots in the north are not accidental, they are becoming too numerous to believe that there is no strings attached.

There is something Nigerians are not being told. In my opinion, these crises are ethnically targeted but disguised under religion. islam preaches peace. "Asalam male' Kun" if i got that right remains the traditions greeting in Islam. How can a religion that preaches peace so much be responsible for some much violence?

No Southerner can own properties in the North because during these crises you will be the first target. More lives had been lost in the North due to these crisis than the rebel group in the Niger Delta can hope of claiming in Twenty years, but all eyes are on the Niger delta.

They take what we have to build up their own society, leaving us with nothing and yet we cannot survive in their own environment. When we talk of a one nigeria, the only thing that holds Nigeria together as a country is the pipe-lines running from the south-south to the north and to the west. This is the only tape that holds the pieces together. There is no love from the north to south or west. When they start these riots, the first target is always the igboman or anything that looks like one (urhobo, calabar, ijaw, isekeri etc). Then the Yoruba man. Are there not Yoruba and even igbo Muslims? Do they take these into considerations when they draw out the daga?

Let us tell ourselves the truth. All these goes beyond the eye.

I disagree with you as I don't think the attacks were about North vs South, or ethnic cleansing. Nigerians of both faiths were equally affected. By the way, the constitution of the Federal Rebublic of Nigeria gives all the Nigerians (regardless of their state of origin or religion) the right to settle anywhere within the country. You have the right to buy and own a property in any of the states within the country. The problem's that of a few religious fanatics within these affected areas.
Re: Boko Haram Suspected Financier Executed - Which Way Nigeria by Vuitton(m): 11:12am On Aug 05, 2009
The whole scenario is sad
Re: Boko Haram Suspected Financier Executed - Which Way Nigeria by chidichris(m): 11:27am On Aug 05, 2009
if there is one person that is happy with this whole situation now, it is that dead sect leader because whereever he is now, he is enjoying his 14 palatable virgins and if possible, with his position, he will be enjoying about 28 virgins.
what a good way of dying knowing that u are moving to a place of enjoyment.
Re: Boko Haram Suspected Financier Executed - Which Way Nigeria by ayobase(m): 12:36pm On Aug 05, 2009
Hmmmmm!
Re: Boko Haram Suspected Financier Executed - Which Way Nigeria by Vuitton(m): 12:37pm On Aug 05, 2009
chidichris:

if there is one person that is happy with this whole situation now, it is that dead sect leader because whereever he is now, he is enjoying his 14 palatable virgins and if possible, with his position, he will be enjoying about 28 virgins.
what a good way of dying knowing that u are moving to a place of enjoyment.

Re: Boko Haram Suspected Financier Executed - Which Way Nigeria by BabaOlu(m): 8:32am On Aug 06, 2009
Do you want to know the possible root cause of the emergence of "Boko Haram" and cover-ups of this extra judicial killings? Read the information on these links below and make your judgement?

http://www.pointblanknews.com/os1997.html

http://www.pointblanknews.com/os1975.html

http://www.pointblanknews.com/os1963.html

This dey happen in naija.
Re: Boko Haram Suspected Financier Executed - Which Way Nigeria by bashdecash(m): 3:19pm On Aug 06, 2009
i was reading abt it a website, and i came across this post which interest me:

"As it is said by Moh'd Yusuf in the above interrogation "I have followers in Bauchi, the police attacked them and scattered them, they are in Gombe, the police raided their homes and scattered them, some were in Adamawa, Yola, they were also attacked by the police. I have followers in Taraba, they were also attacked by the police, IT WAS ONLY AFTER THIS WAS DONE THAT WE REACTED". and from what I heard from the interview with Bauchi state governor by BBC hausa radio where the governor said "they said they are going to fight us, are we going to fold our arm for them to come and killed us. I told ADC to Borno state governor, that he should tell his governor that, THIS IS WHAT WE PLANNED TO DO IN BAUCHI ". This is what the governor said before the event in Bauchi. This statement from Bauchi governor tells us that he planned the elimination of the followers of Mohammed Yusuf as against what they told the world that it is Mohammed Yusuf people who started attacking the police. This is also confirm by the quoted statement from Mohammed Yusuf. I therefore conclude that the whole episode was Bauchi State governor's planned elimination of followers of Mohammed Yusuf who he sees as threat to him for whatever reason known to him. Another important question is that, in all the interviews with wifes of those Mohammed Yusuf followers caught in Maiduguri, they said they are in maiduguri for studies. The important question is that, will they go to maiduguri with there wifes and children if truely they are going there for a war? The obvious answer to this question is No. The main question here isthat. If I said western education is sinful and I will not go to school. Did I commit a crime that police and state will kill me and destroy my house? To me what caused all this problem is the ways state governors will just take bulldozzers and destroyed people's houses and mosques and sometimes kill them just because they are suspecting them. Mohammed Yusuf himself was taken to court before, but the police and the state could not provide any evidence of his crime and he was released. The problem is that the police will not be satisfied of your innocence when they suspect you even if they could not provide any evidence of your crime. Now some governors embarked on demolishing some people's houses and mosques in states like Gombe, Kano, Sokoto and Borno, just if they suspect that you have something to do with Mohammed Yusuf. Where is the justice in that? The consequencies of that will be possible suicide bomb attacks. What we are seeing in Iraq and Pakistan. When you will not give chance to somebody who you suspect to defend himself but just go ahead to kill him and demolish his house.He must fight back, that is what exactly Mohammed Yusuf and his followers did in maiduguri when the police started attacking them in other places. Now that it was proved that they can not fight back openly, if this injustice of demolishing their house and killing without trial continued the next option left for them is suicide bomb attacks as we have already seen effords of making bombs by some. The suggestion is that don't demolish their houses, don't kill them, take them to court and prove their crime if you don't want to turn nigeria to Iraq or Pakistan. "
Re: Boko Haram Suspected Financier Executed - Which Way Nigeria by sosisi(f): 12:55am On Aug 07, 2009
Whatever happens, as long as this whole thing stays in northern Nigeria and doesn't involve the usual targets, i.e Christians some of us won't lose any sleep over the issue.
Let them battle it out amongst themselves, perhaps they'll understand what Christians and other non Muslims have been saying for decades.
Re: Boko Haram Suspected Financier Executed - Which Way Nigeria by omokinki: 5:23am On Aug 07, 2009
someone sent this to my mail

BOKO (WESTERN EDUCATION) HARAM: FROM AN HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE TO PRESENT CRISIS

Plz pardon me for all errors in this article for it was prepared in a hurry

About Myself

I am a Muslim from south-west Nigeria who has been roaming the states of the north-east Nigeria and Kano since 1992. In these sixteen years, I have lived in Adamawa state, Bauchi state, Kano state, and from April 2006 till date in Maiduguri – Borno state. The first time I heard of the Boko Haram group was in 2004 when some Muslim families camped themselves around Yusufari in Yobe State apparently running away from the Nigerian system to establish the Shari’ah system for them selves before they were dislodged by the Nigerian Police and Armed Forces. But at that time they were known more for seeking an Islamic system for them selves and not as Boko Haram. From their action in Yusufari and the propagation of Boko Haram concept, many of my kind do not fall in love with both their method and approach, however as Muslims we do not hate them rather we sympathize with them and feel they got it wrong somewhere – A feeling I later understood they also have for us for been part and parcel of a bad and corrupt system that have disappointed both Muslims and non-Muslim alike. Therefore, on getting to live in Maiduguri I aligned myself with people who do not agree with their ideas but discusses with them hoping to get them to our side because we see abandoning western education at this time as disastrous to the Muslim Ummah arguing that after all lots of Muslim scholars laid the foundation of what is now called western education with the west only improving on it and giving it a cultural and secular outlook which could be removed if we work very hard, just has the west had worked very hard to make it secular despite the fact that they got it from religious Muslims.

The Origin of the Phrase – BOKO HARAM

This phrase in not new in the diction of the Hausa language speaking people of West Africa as it was coined by the Muslim scholars of the region during the colonial period to prevent Muslim parent from sending their children to the British supported Christian Mission owned schools aimed at subtly converting pupils and students to Christianity or cleverly making them non resistant to the colonial masters and their ideas. It should be noted at this juncture that despite the demand for local work force to help the British colonial master to discharge their command in their new colony – Nigeria – the British government never establish schools in Nigeria for most part of the period of their administration of Nigeria but left that duty in the hands of the Christian Missionaries (see COMMERCE, CHRISTIANITY, AND COLONIALISM by Fafunwa B.). WHY? This is because a Christian or Westernized person will accept colonialism than a non-Christian especially Muslims owing to their experience of the slave trade era, where most of the resistances and riots in the slave camps were done by Muslim slaves (as an example, see ROOTS by Harley).

Therefore, the then scholars were right by safeguarding the faith of the children and keeping resistance to oppression (colonialism) alive among the people. Comparatively, even though some Muslim scholar in the south-west also discouraged Muslims parents from sending their children to such schools at that time, the campaign was not as successful as in the north partly because of the scholars situation compare to the north and partly because they did not brand it as Haram like in the north. And to prove the scholars from the two sides right, many who attended the British supported Christian schools were either converted to Christianity or became ignorant and nonchalant Muslim with a carry-over effect on most of their children till today.

However, the post-colonial era was similar but different in approach, that is, although government and community owned schools existed side by side the Christian missionary schools, the curriculum was and is still secular till today because even though Religion Studies appeared in the time-table, it features only twice a week and insert towards the end of the time-table when learning is longer palatable and the students are yarning to go home out of exhaustion. More disheartening is that what is taught as religion is History of religion and not meant to have faith in God and act accordingly. Therefore left to the schools, children and not meant to be religious and God fearing but secular in thinking, thereby creating a conflict in the mind of the children, because the home emphasizes religion while the school emphasizes secularism. A conflict that had resulted in many tendencies as we are witnessing in the Nigerian society today, one of which is high level corruption by Nigerians especially the leaders who claim to be Muslim or Christian. Owing to this alone the concept of BOKO HARAM is still relevant to many northerners particularly the rural dwellers who still adhere to the Islamic principle of JUSTICE, HONESTY, CONCERN FOR NEIGHBOURS, ETC, which the could not see in the leaders all of whom have western education. In fact, there are other versions of the phrase like BOKO YANA HANA ALBARIKA (western education prevents blessing).

Another case is that people are presently rejecting western education in Nigeria because it has not given them the desired job they hope to secure at completion even though they may not label it HARAM. There was the story of a student whose father contacted a relation for loan to sent the boy to school, the response of the would-be lender is a reflection of the Nigerian people on going to school nowadays. He asked his money seeking brother to put away the idea of sending his boy to school because those who had gone and completed before him are now speaking English grammar to CASSAVA on the farm. Meaning after they have been sponsored for many years they are back to CASSAVA farm to get livelihood, why should others go for it again, Today, more than a million graduates are unemployed in Nigeria , yet what borders the leaders is how long they stay in power and not how well are the people during their stay.

The two scenarios depict a people disenchanted with education because their leadership had failed to address their desires whether they call it BOKO HARAM or BOKO ‘OWULO (useless).

MUHAMMAD YUSUF AND HIS DAWAH (CALL)

The Dawah of Muhammad Yusuf can be divided into two viz: BOKO HARAM and The need for Muslims to return to Caliphacy System of governance, that is, Islamic System. While the group is popular with BOKO HARAM, it was the return to Caliphacy that took them to Yusufari as I mentioned earlier.

The reason for the group’s popularity with BOKO HARAM are two namely; it is a familiar phrase in his area of call and many still uphold it irrespective of his call, and secondly that is about the only difference between his call and many other Muslim scholar and enthusiast. That is to say there is congruency on the aspect of Muslims return to Islamic system of governance among all right-thinking Muslims irrespective of their locations worldwide nevertheless, the approach may defer and the difference in approach is as many as you can think of. From the Yusufari camping saga, one could deduce that the groups approach is for Muslims of similar thinking to segregate and rule themselves by Islamic system, but not forcing it on other Muslims.

On the other hand, the BOKO HARAM concept brought him to a sharp disagreement with the rest of the Nigerian Muslim scholars, because information available to most of us is that he totally condemns western education rather than picking the components of it that deserves condemnation and proffers solution(s). However, I am aware that some are claiming that he only criticizes some aspects, to me this is at best a change of approach may be after his meeting and debate with scholars like late Shaikh Jafar and Idris Abdulazeez of Kano and Bauchi respectively. I come to the conviction that his earlier approach was total rejection of western education because if it was as some now claim, the his discussion and debate with the aforementioned scholar would not have centered on BOKO HARAM because all knowledgeable Muslims reject for instance THE EVOLUTION THEORY AND THEORY OF CONSERVATION OF ENERGY/ MATTERS and many such concept abhorrent to Islamic teaching.

In Islam as well as in scholastic environment, there is nothing bad for one to hold a view based on sincere conviction and later change it for another when he again sincerely beliefs the former was wrong and considered the latter better than the former, in fact, this happens frequently in academic arena. Therefore, it was a great pleasure to those of who are on the other side of the fence with him for him to have conceded to our arguments and therefore no more blame on his side, he had only acted as a human being who could fall into error. However, the stigma BOKO HARAM remains and he may be helpless about that.

THE BURIAL CONVOY

Information available to me is that the present conflict between some members of the group and the Nigerian forces had it root in the 2004 saga and recent assault on the group by the Nigerian police during a burial procession for a member of the group. It was reported that the police acting on a tip-off that the group had kill one of it member and are taking him for burial intercepted the burial procession and demanded the that the corpse be unshrouded for inspection. I learnt the procession refused and the police attacked and wounded/ killed some of them hence the retaliation move. You should all help to confirm the authenticity of the story for I was not in Nigeria when it happened, I only got it from friends in Nigeria .

While most of us see this as an undue act of provocation and a molestation of a Muslim corpse by a government agent and that this should not go unchallenged, I do not accept the retaliatory move made by some of the brothers, because they are definitely not a match to the Nigerian police let alone the combine forces who will of necessity support each other whether on a wrong or right course.

THE GOVERNMENT RESPONSE

The government response to the group’s reprisal attacks shows among other thinks that the police assault on the burial procession was deliberate from the point of view that all about their desire for reprisal, the plan for it, and the extent of their strength were well known to the government yet they allow them to start so that they could be eliminated altogether. WHY? Your guess is as good as mine if you add the Islamic component.

The government was aware and refused to stop it because about two weeks to the start of the reprisal attacks parents in Bauchi town have reported to so many police stations within the metropolis of their children (underage) allegedly being taken to a camp of a Muslim group that was preparing a ‘jihad’ around Maiduguri. I learnt of a similar report in Katsnia, and while I am sure of the one in Bauchi because I know one of the parents and the boy that was allegedly taken to the jihad camp, I could not ascertain that of Katsina. But how many reports do we need to nip such move in the bud in a country that has all the paraphernalia of security even if the said jihad is between two Muslim groups. As I am writing this mail information are that suspected members of the group are being pick and kill by government agents just like Muhammad Yusuf himself died in the hands of police some days ago – extra judicial killing – WHY? Because they say BOKO HARAM, no, it can’t be for how many youth who want to go to school get a chance, some said that at present 2.5 million sits for University JAMB yearly out of which only 200,000 admitted for lack of space. Is it not good for such government to have a section of the people opting to stay out of school? What have they done to improve facilities in schools over the years? Even now lecturers are on strike while their own children are outside the country. The answer to why the government acted on them this way is definitely on the second aspect of their call - that is return to Islamic Caliphacy as it brings them closer to the enemy of their master – The Talban.

I come to this conviction that they are being treated this way because of the call to return to Islamic caliphacy because Nigeria being a land of crisis had witness lots of similar crisis but the perpetrators are not dealt with in this way. Going by the memory lane, Major Zamani Lekwot of southern Kaduna engineered a problem that killed hundreds of innocent children and women in the early 90’s, he was caught, tried, and sentenced, but later got a state pardon and released. Plateau state has seen many crisis that had led to many lost of live and property within our 10 years of democracy, a panel has just completed it sitting where a foreign NGO had implicated Nigerian uniform men (police and soldiers) of killing innocent people in Muslim areas of Jos, no politician has been arrested, the Niger-Delta struggle has claim many lives including foreigners and properties worth billion of Niara, have you seen any of their members capture and killed immediately even when more lives and properties are involved and lasted for longer period and their member actually look more militant compare to Muhammad Yusuf who do not seem to have militant traits and so far in the crisis no civilian is targeted by the group and any civilian killed so far must have been by police cum army fire power because the government paraded the group’s highest capability as local guns that can not go beyond few yards.

CAN GOVERNOR YUGUDA BE TRUE?

Police report from Bauchi says that the fight stated when some member of the group attacked a police station around Dutsen Tanshi area of Bauchi town and began a shoot out with the police apparently to get hold of the station’s Armory. To start with, the Dutsen tanshi area was under the Federal Lowcost “command” if there is anything like command in the whole area until I left Bauchi town in 2006. What that means is that Dutsen Tanshi is in the neighbourhood of Federal Lowcost and a relative new settlement whose police related cases are handled by the one in the Federal Lowcost which is itself a 3 bedroom apartment call Federal Lowcost Police post under the GRA police station. If Federal Lowcost police post is a 3 bedroom flat, you can imagine was the Dutsen tanshi police “station” would look like. I will not live you to your imagination because this is a place I know very well for I myself lived in the Federal Lowcost and Jahun street and these areas bordered Dutsen Tanshi in the south and north respectively and the so called Dutsen Tanshi Police station was initiated by my friends living in the area around 2004 when thieves were frequenting the area. As a matter of fact, up till 2006, the year I let Bauchi town the so called police station remain as it was started by my friends – a two room apartment linked together through a inner door, and as at Dec. 2008 the one of Federal Lowcost remain a 3 bedroom apartment which indicates that there would not have be any significant change in the one at Dutsen Tanshi as such it is not a police station and then WHERE IS THE ARMORY?

The Bauchi state governor claimed that they were militant and that they were responsible for all the crisis that had taken place in Bauchi state. This cannot be true because crisis in Bauchi is dated since early 90’s and that this group started in this decade somewhere in Yobe state, more so their base in Bauchi town is not more than two years. As a matter of fact, they are not popular compare to other groups and not known for violence even in Maiduguri which is the headquarters.

The governor claim could therefore be seen as a move to start a war with Muslim groups in Bauchi state who helped him to power and now he may be looking for a way to break off from them which will naturally lead to open confrontation with the groups leadership and in readiness for that he created militant out of a less prominent group to scare the bigger groups that assisted him to power from making any trouble should he refuse to do their wish any longer, and if they do not desist they would face a similar or worse charges. This is the true picture of the Nigerian Political leadership. There could be other reasons for his utterances in this crisis which is bigger than usual, however that is the way I see it.

THE IMPLICATION OF ARREST AND ASSASSINATION OF MUHAMMAD YUSUF ON THE REST OF US

In addition to our knowledge about the treatment of trouble maker in Nigeria , we also know that unsuccessful military coups had taken place in Nigeria and in all the cases the leaders are arrested and tried before execution. These are Dimka and Bisala 1976, Vasta 1986, and Okar 1990. In case of the last, he was caught in a shoot out around Obalende Lagos when he had exhausted his ammunition, yet arrested like the others and he was treated in the hospital, tried, and then executed not assassinated. All these happened under military rules and the figures involved are military men yet trial took place. Now Nigeria is said to be in a democratic rule but killings took place in the hands of police without trial.

The excuse given by police for killing Muhammad Yusuf was that while in police custody he attempted to escape, I am yet to know the reason for killing others like the former commissioner who was said to be member of the group, but let us examine the police claim in the case of Muhammad Yusuf.

It was reported that he ran to his in-law’s house and hid in the goat’s den and another one says he hid in an uncompleted building near his house from where he was caught and taken into police custody (which I suppose is the police headquarters in Maiduguri ) from where he attempted to escape and was shot dead.

First, according to the government this is the supposed head of a militant group called Nigerian Talban seeking to impose the Islamic political system on both Muslim and non-muslim alike. If the group is as militant as we are made to believe and he is the head of the group and that jihad was going to be waged against the Nigerian state to establish shari’ah of which he is going to be the head, and in addition to their preparation some foreign fighters have slipped into the country (police said from the papers found on some of the fighters they were non Nigerians) to assisted them in achieving their goal. The following questions needed answers from the Nigerian government for the idea to sail through.

1) Is it reasonable for him to have remain in his house (clearly not fighting) days after his group had started the “Jihad” in the neighbouring state and that about 200 of his group member had been killed?

2) As at the time of his arrest he was in plane cloth hiding in the midst of goats, is this the behaviour of a militant leader in the period of war that foreign fighters have come to assist to take over a government?

3) For a group to lunch itself to power in a country, do they start by taking over police out post in a town about 300 km from the country’s capital with two military barracks out of which one is the headquarters of a military division?

4) Is it logical that a group of foreign fighters coming to assist someone to power will only be equipped with bow and arrows, and locally made guns?

5) Is it thinkable that someone who could not run beyond his in-law’s house when he was freer to run would attempt to run away having been caught and in police custody in a premise hundreds of meters big surrounded by government institutions like mobile police and police training schools, colleges, and Federal government secretariat?

6) For the little we must acknowledge he knew about Islam, would he go to jihad with women and children without parents’ permission? That explains why himself was not in the “war front”

Is it not possible that he was not a militant and may not be part of the reprisal attack but may hold information about who and why the reprisal attacks and some other secrets which accounted for why the government allowed the reprisal to start and then pick and kill extra judicially? Some people wanted him dead for a purpose we all need to demand.

WHAT SHOULD WE DO AS MUSLIMS IN THE CURRENT CRISIS?

The brothers involved in the retaliatory attacks are wrong on so many grounds, however the reaction of the Nigerian government from the assault on the burial convoy to allowing the retaliation to take place and the high handedness of the security agents in killing them and probably some innocent civilians to the assassination of Muhammad Yusuf and the former commissioner by the police is worse than whatever crime the so called militants must have committed. More so, the excuse of ignorance should not be tolerated from the government for they knew better the correct course of action than the rest of us. This means that all the above listed actions of the government on this issue are deliberate, thus we should all rise up to demand justice on behalf of the families of the dead and for our own sake because if these crimes go unchallenged, we have given our support for more crime to come from the people that are appointed to protect us and all of us are no longer safe. And should the reason for the crisis be political, then we might have unknowingly began another journey into a new season of political hullabaloo and scheming which we will all pay for directly or indirectly. May Allah forbid.

A FINAL WORD

The above narration may not be the whole you have to know about the group and the crisis, others with additional fact may add or react to this, for I have only done this to enlighten ourselves on the group as an outsider who is close enough to see the group better that most of us whose knowledge about them is scanty and from the press or government.

However, the real objective is for us as Muslims see the truth and act upon it. Many things has been happening to Muslims world over of which the best we often do is to lament and move on or wait till another one occur and lament again and the cycle continues. We have to stop that approach as it has never taken us anywhere and it will not take us anywhere in the days to come. We should use this as a test case to see how better be can be at acting having known out strength at lamentation. I am waiting for our suggestions as per how to take up the Nigerian government on this issue in a long and tedious journey at safeguarding ourselves as Muslims and the Nigerian populace in general before they (the government) grow out of control and crush all of us under some pretext,
Re: Boko Haram Suspected Financier Executed - Which Way Nigeria by jamace(m): 10:35am On Aug 07, 2009
Boko Haram: How 3 pastors were beheaded eyewitness
From TIMOTHY OLA, Maiduguri

Thursday, August 6, 2009

One of the victims of last week’s attack by the Yusufiya sect in Borno State has given a shocking account of how the Islamic extremists killed three pastors who were captured along with other victims on the second day of the insurgence. The victim was among those held hostage in Yusuf’s enclave.

Speaking exclusively to Daily Sun in Maiduguri, the eye witness who preferred anonymity disclosed that the three pastors were beheaded on the instruction of the sect leader, Mohammed Yusuf shortly after bringing them out of his inner chamber.

“The pastors alongside one Ibo man were asked to change their faith to Islam like they did to other people taken as hostages. I think there was an argument by one of the pastors which gave the others some level of confidence to also resist accepting Islam.

“The Yusufiya men who were armed on that Tuesday afternoon were not comfortable with the pastors and they took one of them to the sect leader in his inner chamber. They came out later to the courtyard within the compound and cut their heads one after the other and thereafter, shouted allah akbar in wild celebration accompanied with several gun shots,” the eye witness disclosed.

He said the hostages numbering about 50 within the area of the execution of the pastors and another fair complexioned man which he could not identify, were gripped with fear as non could foretell the outcome of their stay at the enclave of the fundamentalists. He was however lucky to escape as he was freed in the night with others with a warning not to mix with kafrici (infidels).

Corroborating the account of the killing, a Senior pastor with Good News Church, Wulari Maiduguri Rev. Baba Gata Ibrahim told Daily Sun in an interview that a pastor in his church, Pastor George Orjih was beheaded on the instruction of the Boko Haram leader because the clergy man refused to accept Islam.

“An eye witness who was also captured by the Islamic militants gave us details of how the pastor was killed. He told us they were persuading him to accept Islam and he said over his dead body. He was even said to have preached Christ to Mohammed Yusuf and that reportedly angered the sect leader who then as he ordered that the pastor and others be killed immediately,” he disclosed.

The late Pastor George Orjih was said to have arrived Maiduguri last week from Jos where he was doing his Masters programme in Theology. Described as a fearless, hardworking, and intellectually sound, his care for the welfare and well being of his family allegedly contributed to his capture and eventual death.

“He was mindful of his family and their welfare. He was really out of the house but thought to go back again. That was how he was captured by the Boko Haram before he was killed. It was the very week, in fact the following day he returned from school where he was doing his Masters in Theology that he was arrested,” the senior pastor added.

He urged the government to provide adequate security for Christian in the state.

Also delivering a sermon during the funeral rites for late Rev. Sabo Yakubu, slain COCIN Church pastor, the speaker, Rev Bulus Azi urged Christians to emulate the pastors who were killed because of their refusal to betray their faith. Quoting from the bible in Revelation 7: 9-15, the regional chairman of the church told Christians to prepare to die anytime as their calling demand.

Now, where are the rule of law/human right propagandist? Boko Haram sect got what it bargained for . Period.
Re: Boko Haram Suspected Financier Executed - Which Way Nigeria by EI(m): 6:05pm On Aug 07, 2009
Very horrifying reports these past two weeks. People have the right to hold opinions on (their understanding of) the rule-of-law or rule-of-engagement, but in all, hundreds of innocent Nigerians (of course excluding the vandals and murderers; both sides) have unfortunately died in terrible circumstances. People with souls, aspirations, still mourning loved ones, etc.

Below is something I got via email:

---------------

Monday, the 27th July 2009 dawned with the news of yet
another uprising in certain parts of the North, to wit- Bauchi,
Potiskum, Kano and Maiduguri . For most Nigerians residing outside
these areas, it may seem to be just another civil unrest but to us
living here, it represents something more sinister and nerve-racking
showing once again the vulnerability of Nigerians and government’s
insensitivity and irresponsibility to the protection and security of
the lives of its citizens.
An Islamic sect, or rather a terrorist group popularly
known as ‘Boko Haram’ (which means that western education is
forbidden) was the one behind this crisis and it was led by a certain
Mohammed Yusuf. In addition to it being totally against western
education-despite the fact that its leader and most of its members
have university degrees- they sought the total destruction of anything
that could be tagged as civilization- mobile phones, dressing,
eateries, motor vehicles, schools et cetera. The leader condemned all
sort of foods and drinks and consigned his followers to consume only
honey, local yoghurt and dates. In summary, Mohammed Yusuf and his
group sought to destroy in its entirety our way of life and with it
our rights to freedom of expression, religion, association and
ultimately, our right to life which is so enshrined in Chapter IV of
the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and which
forms the basic foundation of our humanity. To achieve this, they
intended a bloody and armed struggle to take over the country and
impose their way of life, starting of course with the North. Yes, I
know this is a very absurd and laughable idea but as you will see
later, they were quite serious in their objectives hence the
simultaneous attacks across four states of the federation.
Now I know that both the local and foreign media is awash
with news and stories of this group and its most recent activities so
I would not bore you with repetitive details, but I hope to present
you the situation as it occurred in Maiduguri , the Borno State
capital. This write up is gotten from facts I have personal knowledge
of and information from people who were eye witnesses to some of the
incidents.
As a cursory background, sometime in June 2009, members of
this inglorious sect had a clash in Maiduguri with members of the
Operation Flush, a joint security outfit of both the army and mobile
policemen. As the story goes, the sect had gone to bury one of their
members who had died and were moving about in a very rowdy and lawless
manner, which is often of commercial motorcyclist in Maiduguri . They
were apprehended by Operation Flush and the ensuing fracas left a
number of them dead and others injured. I was not in Maiduguri when
this happened but subsequent newspaper reports informed me that the
group made a number of threats to deal with the government and
policemen, promises they reiterated ceaselessly.

THURSDAY, JULY 23rd 2009: The sect issues a warning letter to the
state government informing them of their intention to strike. I know
for certain that a security meeting was held as the state controller
of prisons, with whom I sought audience that morning, was reported to
be in a meeting with other security heads.
FRIDAY, JULY 24th, 2009: There was serious tension in Maiduguri . We
were warned- unofficially- not to be in the streets between 12 noon
and 2pm (during Friday prayers) and also not to stay out late that
evening. Many people headed this advice. The tense situation even made
it to the 9 o’clock network news on NTA.
SATURDAY, JULY 25th, 2009: A bomb went off in a building close to the
Maiduguri Flour Mills, off Baga Road . The blast was so strong that it
created a crater where the building stood. Evidence pointed to the
fact that the bomb was being assembled when it went off, instantly
killing the bomb maker and seriously injuring another person who was
rushed to teaching hospital. Eight people, including the bomb maker’s
wife, were reportedly arrested. There were also reports of bombs being
found in possession of some people in Biu, a town 2 hours drive from
Maiduguri . Yet the government took no pre-emptive action.
SUNDAY, JULY 26th, 2009: The day started out normally. People moved
around doing their normal business. As usual, I attended church with
my family, not knowing it would be last time I would worship in that
particular church building. I got a text from my dad (he was away in
Abuja ) later in the day informing me not to be out later than 8pm
that evening. His advice was timely because I would later learn that
the attacks started at about 10pm that night.
MONDAY, JULY 27th 2009: I went out jogging around 0615 hours with my
elder brother. Our route was from the Molai GRA at the Polo road up to
the government house round-about and back. Halfway along that road, at
the GRA police station, we were stopped by armed and visibly angry
policemen and asked to turn back because the city was unsafe. One of
them informed us that Mohammed Yusuf’s group had struck at night
burning some police stations, the house of the commandant of the
police college and had killed some policemen including the 2i/c of the
Mobile Police (MOPOL). They had also broken open the Maiduguri New
Prisons and freed a number of prisoners. We noticed a burnt police
vehicle- a Toyota van- besides the police station. Heading the man’s
advice, we turned around and made for home. A convoy of the Operation
Flush security outfit zoomed by firing indiscriminately in the air.
Back home, we ached for some news on what was going on in
the city. None of the phone lines were working- we later learnt that
the terrorist had completely vandalized GSM facilities in Maiduguri-
and communication was completely grounded. There was also no
electricity, a situation that had persisted the entire duration of the
crisis and even up the time of typing this report.
So there we were at home, completely incommunicado, panicking and
getting tense. MTN network subsequently improved and people were
finally able to get through to us. Ironically, all the calls we
received were from outside Maiduguri , and we could not contact those
within the city.
As the day wore on, news began filtering in that some
churches had also been destroyed including the Eklessiyar Yan’uwa a
Nigeria (Church of the Brethren in Nigeria ) or EYN for short which
was the largest indigenous church in Borno State . ‘Impossible!’ was
my first reaction. The sect had assured us that the fight was only
against the government. However, reports came in strongly that at
least 20 churches had been completely destroyed and the news became
more tragic with the deaths of at least two pastors who were residing
in the church premises when they were destroyed. Communication was
difficult so we could not ascertain this news nor could we contact
friends and relatives whom we feared for their safety. We went to bed
that night with great trepidation, quaking at every sound.
TUESDAY, JULY 28th 2009: The day started with some good news that
soldiers had been drafted in from Jos. A dusk to dawn curfew was
imposed and the governor went on air to tell us that the situation was
‘calm and under control’ and that we could go about our normal
business. We braved the odds to venture out into town. There were
roadblocks all over town. We went to the EYN church and met a shocking
sight. The building had been completely destroyed, bombed to the
ground. Its foundation was shattered, the walls crumbled, the roof
caved in and the only evidence of any furniture was a thick layer of
ash. They had also burnt the pastor’s office and about 11 cars
belonging to the church members who had parked them there for security
reasons as some of them did not have enough space in their houses.
Luckily enough, none of the people resident in the church had been
killed except for a security guard who was stabbed several times by
the terrorist but had miraculously survived.
However, the nearby National Evangelical Mission (NEM) which shares a
wall with the EYN was not so lucky. The church building was bombed
along with about 50 members who were there for a night vigil. The
sight of burnt and mangled bodies is something that would haunt my
memory for a long time even though most of the bodies had been removed
by the time I arrived. Its pastor was also set ablaze along with
another person resident in the church. All of them murdered in cold
blood. The Deeper Life Church also within the same vicinity had also
been destroyed beyond repair.
We moved to a friend’s house in the staff quarters of the
Ramat Polytechnic, opposite the Police College . From there, we heard
an endless barrage of gunfire as mobile policemen battled the
terrorist. The fusillade lasted for hours, up till the time we left
for home. We went to bed that night with the accompanying and
horrifying lullaby of gunshots still being fired.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 29th 2009: Reports reaching us was that the situation
was getting worse,  The news said that the terrorists controlled about
6 areas of the city and were strongly resisting the onslaught of the
both the military and the police. The 3rd Armoured Division from Jos
had taken over the situation. The airport was closed and all exit and
entry points were also blocked. Maiduguri was completely isolated,
physically and electronically. Heavy shelling was reported in some
parts of the city and we stayed indoors throughout. I could not sleep
that night.
THURSDAY, JULY 30th 2009: They day started with another good news. The
terrorists had been overpowered and were on the run. Their stronghold,
a compound about 4km in width had been completely destroyed by the
soldiers. The sect’s deputy leader along with Mohammed Yusuf’s
personal driver and aide had reportedly been killed. Along with it
came the news that my school mate and fellow Ex-JAM, Flying Officer
Gosi Komo of the Nigerian Airforce Base Maiduguri had been wounded in
the fight with the ‘Boko Haram’. We rushed to the university teaching
hospital to see him. He had sustained a gunshot wound at 1am on Monday
night when he and his driver ran into an ambush by the terrorists.
Their vehicle, a heavy Toyota Hilux van had somersaulted due to the
heavy gunfire but he was still able to get out of the vehicle and
carry his driver to safety before the terrorists pumped more bullets
into the car in a bid to finish them off. Luckily, both he and his
driver survived and are recovering nicely.
On the way back home, we received the glorious news that
Mohammed Yusuf, the infamous leader of ‘Boko Haram’ had been captured.
Life was already getting back to normal as cars began plying the roads
and shops opening up. The governor went on air once more to
‘officially’ announce that the ‘Boko Haram’ uprising had been quenched
and people could go about their normal business. The curfew was
relaxed to 9pm and civil servants were asked to resume work the
following morning. On the 9 o’clock news, it was announced that
Mohammed Yusuf had been killed. We prayed, sang songs and my mum wept
for joy. The mayhem in Maiduguri was finally over. I slept fitfully
that night.
THE LOSSES: The damage inflicted by this sect and the police/military
in their counter-offensive would not be forgotten in a hurry. At least
three police stations have been completely destroyed. The police
college was attacked with a ferocity- the commandant’s house was burnt
down. Scores of policemen were killed including the MOPOL 2i/c and
some policemen who were in the police college for a course. The police
and army also sustained some casualties during their counter strike.
The Maiduguri New Prison was attacked in an effort to free some ‘Boko
Haram’ members who were in custody. A prison official was killed in
the process and scores of prisoners escaped. His headless body was
identified by his wife. They also struck at the nearby town of
Gamboru-Ngala killing some people including a customs officer and a
civil engineer supervising a building project.
The military in their counter-strike had asked some people
to vacate certain areas of the city. As a result of heavy gunfire and
in some cases, bombardment, some of these people had their houses and
properties destroyed and have been rendered homeless. Others were
vandalized by marauding hoodlums who carted away a lot of valuables.
The military in an effort to cleanse out the militants
attacked and killed a lot of innocent people who, in their opinion,
looked like ‘Boko Haram’ members. Most of these people were unarmed
and there was little evidence to suggest that they there were part of
Mohammed Yusuf’s group. The military and police went on a senseless
killing spree in a bid to show results and they displayed a total lack
of tact in distinguishing between innocent civilians and armed
terrorists.
It was also reported that ‘Boko Haram’ kidnapped a lot of
innocent people especially passers-by and held them as hostages, with
the intention of using them as human shields. As the military
offensive became intense, they indiscriminately murdered some of these
people. It is also speculated that in the bombardment, the military
may have killed some innocent hostages along with their captors.
Even as of now, there are people who reportedly left home
since Tuesday, July 28th 2009 and have not been seen or heard from
since. The body count on both sides is running into thousands despite
the official figures and there are reports of bodies littering the
streets of Maiduguri like leaves in autumn. A friend who attended the
mass burial at the ‘Boko Haram’ camp said he lost count of the bodies
being buried. The extent of the damage caused by the damage is yet to
be fully assessed.
THE RELIGIOUS ANGLE: The media, especially the local ones, are
inundated with assertions that the ‘Boko Haram’ uprising was not
religiously motivated, but was an act of ‘a few disgruntled elements
or hoodlums who were misguided’ who were fighting the government.
Sadly, most Nigerians have swallowed this line of reasoning, including
a certain bishop who from the comfort of his house in Abuja or Lagos
announced to the world that no churches were burnt or Christians
harmed.
From what I observed with my own eyes or heard from people
who so observed, Boko Haram’s agenda was two-dimensional; crippling
the government and terrorizing Christians in Borno. I stated earlier
that at least 20 churches were destroyed by the ‘Boko Haram’, 3 of
which I personally visited. Reverend Sabo Yakubu of the COCIN ( Church
of Christ in Nigeria ) in the Jajeri area of the city whose church was
destroyed was slaughtered like a ram in front of his family and
eventually died in the hospital.
At the Jerusalem area (so called because of the
concentration of churches and Christians in that area) in Maiduguri ,
the terrorists wrecked the most havoc. 3 churches were bombed
including the National Evangelical Mission where about 50 of its
members attending a night vigil in the building all perished. The
pastor and another resident were also set ablaze. After destroying the
churches, the terrorist went on a rampage, shooting the residents
(mostly Christian) especially those who dared to venture outside.
Others who answered to the loud knocking on their doors were
immediately slaughtered. This lasted from around 11pm on Sunday night
until the early hours of the morning. Yet no police appeared at the
scene till sometime around 7am Monday morning. A ‘Boko Haram’ member
who has caught within the vicinity had on him about 3 pistols and a
map of the area with the targets clearly marked out. He confessed that
he was a paid one hundred thousand (N100,000) to participate in the
mayhem.
When the uprising started, most of the sect’s members
repeatedly assured their neighbours that their action was against the
government only. However, these people- with whom they had lived with
for years- eventually turned on them. In a particular compound, the
Islamists rounded-up all their Christian neighbours and one by one
ordered them to recite a verse known as the ‘shahada’- a proclamation
of the Islamic faith. Those who refused or could not had their throats
slit. This is no rumor- I heard it myself from a woman who lived in
that compound and was lucky enough to escape the slaughter and tell
the story,  In certain areas, the ‘Boko Haram’ accosted passers-by and
ordered them to also recite the ‘shahada’. Those who did had a gun
thrust into their arms and were ordered to fight; those who did not
were similarly slaughtered. Pastor George of the Good News Church in
Wulari area of Maiduguri was one of those who were killed in this
manner. In other instances, Christian men were kidnapped and held
hostage with the intention of using them as human shields in the event
of an air strike or bombardment. Yet as the terrorists beat a hasty
retreat, they murdered most of these hostages while a few were lucky
to escape. Its also speculated that some may have perished in the
ensuing bombardment. Yet I was appalled that the state government or
the local media did not acknowledge or even mention that Christians in
the state were directly targeted by the ‘Boko Haram’ and had suffered
the worst casualties in terms of lives and property.
Evidence is now pointing to the fact that ‘Boko Haram’
spearheaded the attack on Christians in Borno State on February 18th,
2006 where 54 churches were burnt down and scores of Christians
murdered in cold blood including while families who were burnt alive
in what started out a ‘peaceful protest’ against the Danish cartoons
published in faraway Denmark by a Jewish journalist in September 2005.
To date, the government has not paid out a kobo to compensate or
rehabilitate the victims of that riot and to my knowledge, not a
single person had been convicted for those atrocities despite the fact
that most of the participants and their sponsors are well known. The
latest attacks are linked to the earlier one given the fact that they
attacked churches that were spared in the February 18, 2009 riot.
GOVERNMENT’S INSENSITIVITY AND IRRESPONSIBILITY: It is obvious that
for the government’s lackadaisical attitude towards the security of
lives and property, this crisis would have been nipped in the bud.
Mohammed Yusuf was said to have been recruiting followers as far back
as 2002 and I have heard of quite a number of graduates and
undergraduates who had dumped their careers and studies to serve as
his foot soldiers. The man has been carrying out attacks on police
stations in neighbouring Yobe State since 2004 yet the government did
nothing to stop him. Unlike his terror counterpart Osama bin Laden who
is in hiding, Yusuf was a well known figure in Maiduguri, driving
around in a convoy of plush cars and his headquarters is reported to
be a compound about 4km wide (2.8 miles) containing training grounds,
armoury, medical centre, mosque, food stores and living quarters. Yet
the government was so disinterested in his activities that it did not
notice the arms build-up or his followers being trained militarily. He
was said to have preached hateful and inciting messages in his
sermons, yet government and security agencies looked the other way
despite the fact that the region is religiously volatile.
‘Boko Haram’ sent the government a notice of its intention
to strike yet it did nothing to prevent this despite the fact that
there are 3 army formations in Maiduguri, 3 more in the neighbouring
towns of Biu, Bama and Monguno, 1 Airforce base, a state security
service office (SSS) office and countless police and mobile police
units across the city. But it did nothing until President Yar’adua
ordered the army to move in and take control. A soldier revealed to me
that the terrorists had arms such as GPMG (general purpose machine
guns), AK47 rifles, hand grenades and RPGs (rocket-propelled grenades)
in addition to large quantities of materials for making bombs. How was
the organisation able to have access to such sophisticated arms and in
such large quantities without even an eyebrow being raised?
Some days before the attacks, members of the sect moved
their families to more secure locations because ‘there would be war’
as they informed their neighbours and friends. Some had even given
divorce letters to their wives in the event that they do not return.
They even proudly proclaimed to their neighbours that the public had
nothing to fear as the war was against the government. Yet nothing
could be done to forestall it. Yusuf is reputed to have as much as
eight hundred million naira (N800,000,000) in one of his accounts and
has traveled extensively to some middle eastern countries which is, no
doubt, evidence of some foreign sponsorship. He had a fleet of exotic
cars with which he drove around, including three unmarked Toyota Camry
cars, the 2009 model. Yet he moved about like a warlord with any
questions being asked by those charged with that responsibility. The
signs were there and glaring and events leading to the ‘Boko Haram’
uprising was not even a secret as most people preferred to stay
indoors even before their attacks commenced.
CONCLUSION: The aim of this write-up is to present the true situation
as it occurred in Maiduguri because the government and the media are,
unfortunately, not being entirely sincere with their version of the
events. It is not my intent to incite any body or to bring unnecessary
sentiments into the situation. Despite the fact that Christians were
directly and deliberately attacked by ‘Boko Haram’, we do not claim a
monopoly of casualties and many innocent Moslems too were killed by
the terrorist and the police/military. The body count on both sides is
staggering.
But as we grieve, lick our wounds and count our losses, it
is time to start asking some serious questions of ourselves and the
people we ‘elected’ to lead us. What manner of people do we decide to
hold offices of responsibility that border on the welfare of the lives
of its citizens? For how long do we remain apathetic toward the
quality of governance we get from such people? How often do we hold
them accountable for their ineptness to discharge the responsibilities
of their offices in all fairness and impartiality? How often do we
question the activities of people who seek the destruction of lives
and properties of people whether in the name of religion, ethnics or
political affiliations? We have come a long way in this country and if
there is anything our multi-religious and multi-ethnic nature has told
us is that indivisibility of Nigeria is out of the question. Every
religious or political leader worth his salt should be preaching
collective progress, not retrogressive violence; unity and tolerance,
not bigotry and intolerance; understanding not prejudice; merit, not
nepotism, peace, not war; and love, not hatred.
With globalization and economic meltdown, fellow African countries
such as Ghana , Tanzania and Rwanda are making giant strides in
economic growth, technological advancement, peaceful co-existence and
adequate power generation. Nigeria and Nigerians ought to be leading
the way, not to reduce ourselves into bloodthirsty and warring
religious groups, a situation most countries left behind in the 17th
century. It is my prayer that the ‘Boko Haram’ crisis of July 2009
will never repeat itself and may it be the last of its kind in Jesus’
name. AMEN!

Ishaya P A
AFMS 9x/xx38
Red Squadro
Re: Boko Haram Suspected Financier Executed - Which Way Nigeria by BabaOlu(m): 8:13am On Aug 08, 2009
Boko Haram: SSS boss blocks investigation of Modiboo

Dr. Ahmed Modibbo

The decision of President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua to probe the Boko Haram crisis through his National Security Adviser (NSA), Major-General Abdullahi Sarki Muktar (retd) may have reached a dead end following moves by the Director-General of the State Security Service (SSS), Afakriya Gadzama to block all security agencies from investigating the alleged culpability in the crisis of his former classmate and Executive Secretary of Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC), Dr. Ahmed Modibbo.

Pointblanknews.com had recently broken the story that some top security chiefs were analyzing a lead that Modibbo’s decision to divert close to N6 billion meant for the feeding of indigent pupils under a special UBEC programme may have heightened the ease with which the children swelled the ranks of the Boko Haram sect.

advertisement

Apart from international odium which the four-day crisis brought to bear on Nigeria, over 800 persons including military and police officers lost their lives. Several police stations were torched by the sect members in some parts of Northern Nigeria, while destruction became the lot of properties worth hundreds of millions of naira.

But speaking on Tuesday when the President of the Republic of Benin, Boni Yayi visited in Abuja, Yar’Adua disclosed that he had instructed his NSA to investigate “all the events” and carry out a “post-mortem with the security agencies as a first step, so that we can have a full report of what happened during the crisis.”

Some officials in the office of the NSA’s told Pointblanknews.com that the President’s order to their boss may be “a very tall order” given what they said was Gadzama’s seeming resolve “to work at cross-purposes with our office since the onset of the crisis.”

Said one of the sources: “Even before the outbreak of the crisis (Boko Haram) we were working on a lead that the SSS DG (Gadzama) has been compromising his office by frustrating any attempt to investigate Modibbo, whom we understand was his classmate at Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. We understand both graduated with honours degrees in history in 1976 or so.”

The source volunteered that they were also working on another lead revealing how the SSS boss “helped cover Modibbo’s tracks by planting SSS officers on his perceived lecturer-opponents, particularly after he (Modibbo) was indicted by the Estate Department of ABU for forgeries of documents when he chaired the committee on the rehabilitation of Senior Staff Quarters in the school.”

Offered the security official, “our investigations revealed that no sooner had Modibbo been indicted for fraudulently falsifying the figures on the cost of the exercise, than he began to use Gadzama to plant beer in the refrigerators of those he suspected spearheaded his indictment, fully aware that the punishment for such was dismissal. And that was how a good number of otherwise innocent lecturers were shown the way out of ABU.”

Another official in the NSA’s office recounted how they were “completely scandalized” to learn of how Modibbo got Gadzama to vet and submit an unsigned and undated “Investigation report on suspected fraudulent activities of Inter-markets Nig. Ltd to Mr. President.”

He affirmed: “We now have sufficient reasons to believe that a 17-page document authored by Modibbo’s lawyer, one John Gaul Lebo, who sent EFCC a petition on 31 st October, 2008 on the same Intermarkets’ issue, is the same document Gadzama forwarded Mr. President as “SSS comprehensive report on alleged fraud by Intermarkets Nig. Ltd.”

The official also narrated how, in their professional opinion, the SSS boss “blundered by allowing Modibbo con him into substituting the name of a principal officer in UBEC under investigation, just to settle old scores.”

He explained: “Now, Manasseh Mulkat Mutfwang is the suspended UBEC deputy director of procurement. Paul is Manasseh’s elder brother and Modibbo’s former teacher-colleague at ABU. But in all SSS reports on the N850 million contract scam, what kept appearing was Paul Mutfwang and not Manasseh Mutfwang. We kept scratching our heads, trying to figure out why the SSS DG would allow what we thought was a slip in a matter involving N850 million. Why he chose to write Paul Mutfwang instead of Manasseh Mutfwang? Not anymore.

“In about 1989, we gathered, Paul Mutfwang and Modibbo, who at the time was also teaching in ABU, had a brawl on the heels of a reckless declaration by Modibbo that his Hausa-Fulani ethnic stock were divinely ordained to lord over Muftwang’s so-called Northern minorities.

“In the course of the brawl, Modibbo, we gathered, almost lost an eye. 20 years later, Paul, a political science lecturer in Zaria, finds his name in the ‘credible SSS report’ to Mr. President in a matter involving UBEC’s headquarters in Abuja. A certain Patrick Bassey signs a letter covering this ‘credible SSS report’ on behalf of his boss, Gadzama, to Mr. President on 7th April, 2009. This must be the eighth wonder of the world,” snickered the official.

The official said they were also investigating the possibility that a sponsored arsonist was behind the recent torching of ABU’s history department which housed the documents indicting the UBEC boss for allegedly mismanaging funds for the renovation of senior staff quarters. “With rumours making the rounds that Modibbo is eyeing the Adamawa governorship seat in 2011, it would be too risky to leave any indicting reports to chance,” opined the security official.

Another official in the office of the NSA gave an insight into what they said was Gadzama’s penchant for circumventing “due process” in the conduct of his professional duties, a development the official said largely called to question the reliability of the numerous security reports which the SSS boss churns out to the President on a daily basis.

advertisement

He recalled how Gadzama had in the wake of the SSS investigation into the UBEC scam, personally handed Modibbo an SSS summons on some UBEC officials, saying the move ran “against laid down procedures for communicating inter-agency official correspondences.”

“We were totally disappointed but not surprised to note that the summons to the UBEC officers on “Investigation Activities” with reference number S.605/8708, and dated November 19, 2008, was personally delivered to Modibbo by the SSS DG, because none of the letters on which Modibbo later minuted on was acknowledged by UBEC’s registry officials as having being received by them.

“Another blunder happened shortly thereafter, but this time it was the EFCC. In a February 9, 2009 letter with reference number CR:3000/EFCC/ABJ/ASO/TB/Vol 8/97, EFCC advised Modibbo to release the four officers “to interview the undersigned through O/C Team B on Wednesday, 11 th February, 2009, by 100.00 hrs at No. 1 Mohammed Bello Street, Asokoro, Abuja.

“Even though the letter was signed on behalf of the EFCC chairman, Modibbo didn’t have any qualms about unilaterally changing the date stated for the summons. Instead of Wednesday, 11 th February, 2009, written by EFCC in black and white, Modibbo unilaterally changed the date with his red pen to Tuesday, 17 th February, 2009,” he clarified.

Meanwhile, the Federal Executive Council (FEC) on Wednesday to approve a proposal by the Minister of State for Education, Hajiya Aishatu Dukku to empower Modibbo award contracts for six yet-to-be ascertained items totaling N2.45 billion. Modibbo had on 22 nd June, 2009, secured the nod of the Ministerial Tenders Board to award contracts totaling N3.3 billion. He has since awarded the contracts to his numerous mistresses and cronies.

Pointblanknews.com gathered from Presidency sources that FEC rejected the memo to avert the embarrassment it would have caused the Yar’Adua administration, which is still struggling to dust off the ashes of the Boko Haram crisis.

Sources close to the Ministry of Education had confided in Pointblanknews.com that the contracts for the “six items” were designed to line the pockets of First Lady Turai Yar’adua, Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Yayale Ahmed, minister of agriculture, Dr. Said Abba Ruma, and Katsina-based notorious smuggler, Alhaji Dahiru Mangal “so that they may continue to give Dukku and Modibbo the necessary backing to perpetrate atrocities.”
Re: Boko Haram Suspected Financier Executed - Which Way Nigeria by nwgoziri(m): 11:12am On Jul 13, 2012
[quote
author=Beaf]Something crazy is going on up North. Why these barbaric
executions?
This has to be some sort of political war going on. It has to be
political assasinations.

The foreign press and all human rights bodies are unto Nigeria again,
just like in Abacha's time; yet this is supposed to be a democracy.
The North is better off forming their own country, this disgrace is too
much.[/quote]thunder fiyai u dia beaf
Re: Boko Haram Suspected Financier Executed - Which Way Nigeria by achi4u(m): 1:07pm On Mar 17, 2015
Beaf:
Something crazy is going on up North. Why these barbaric executions?
This has to be some sort of political war going on. It has to be political assasinations.

The foreign press and all human rights bodies are unto Nigeria again, just like in Abacha's time; yet this is supposed to be a democracy.
The North is better off forming their own country, this disgrace is too much.
If this guy is still alive he should quote me back.
Re: Boko Haram Suspected Financier Executed - Which Way Nigeria by suwailad(f): 2:02pm On Mar 17, 2015
What gej has done to nigeria is abonimable
Re: Boko Haram Suspected Financier Executed - Which Way Nigeria by tommysparks: 2:04pm On Mar 17, 2015
The north accepted boko Haram as their own only that the dog ate it's mother finally.
Re: Boko Haram Suspected Financier Executed - Which Way Nigeria by Samueldo(m): 4:35pm On Mar 17, 2015
suwailad:
What gej has done to nigeria is abonimable

Hmmm why blaming GEJ can't you see the dAte this thread was created?
Re: Boko Haram Suspected Financier Executed - Which Way Nigeria by suwailad(f): 4:39pm On Mar 17, 2015
Samueldo:

Hmmm why blaming GEJ can't you see the dAte this thread was created?

what does the date have to do with it? Gej had every power to nip it in the bud but did nothing up till just now
Re: Boko Haram Suspected Financier Executed - Which Way Nigeria by Samueldo(m): 4:54pm On Mar 17, 2015
suwailad:

what does the date have to do with it? Gej had every power to nip it in the bud but did nothing up till just now

What else you wan't the Inocent man to do? The Northen elders, Governors and police all from the North created this mess.

Even when the president and Ilhejerika was pounding the BH guys who are the people shouting genocide?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerians React To Buhari's Vacation Extension / Dele Momodu Mocks Ibrahim Idris' Retirement As The IG Of Police / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Meets King Charles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 187
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.