Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,741 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan (15948 Views)

Do You Think It Is Wise To Invest 20m In Truck Business? / Is It Wise To Invest In Forex Trading Now? / Despite The Economic Woes You Still Have No Time To Start A Home Based Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by steroid: 8:31pm On Apr 11, 2016
I currently work in an mnc. For some time now I have been thinking about starting my own business and I am considering going for a loan from the bank. But I am worried if it is the right thing to do.

I want to use the money to buy a truck which I will attach to a warehouse for better management. Initially I wanted to go for a van but the warehouse people advised me to go for a truck. Their reason being that the profit I'll make from a truck will be enough to cover expenses and challenges faced e.g police, lastma, vio, etc.

I intend paying back the loan from my salary and proceeds from the business.

Your candid advice and suggestions are highly welcomed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by dking123: 8:40pm On Apr 11, 2016
Since you will pay from your sallary, i think its fine. else the business may not raise the money quickly and saving is difficult for salary earners.

10 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by whitecloth: 8:42pm On Apr 11, 2016
I won't advice you to do such looking at the current economic crisis (dollar, fuel, inconsistency of salary), they can mar the payment of loan thereby making it the worst.

My Opinion though.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by psucc(m): 8:43pm On Apr 11, 2016
Much as I would advised you pick the loan using your salary as a collateral, I would take exception on the nature of business you intend going into.

1. Considering the nature and condition of our road network, how do you intend to mitigate against risk such as accidents, though I pray not for it?

2. What is the payback period for the loan and can the pay from both sources (salary and truck) offset it within the loan period?

3. The interest charged on loans currently hooves around 29%p.a, can you sustain it?

4. In addition to the loan, you will need yo take an insurance cover which also has to add up to the total cost in addition to maintenance.

5. Wish you all the best!!!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by godoluwa(m): 8:47pm On Apr 11, 2016
You are good to start the business with the said loan because you are a salary earner & have backup otherwise, starting up a business with loan is CAPITAL NO

14 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by 0955eb027(m): 8:47pm On Apr 11, 2016
I am here to Learn.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by Viktor1983(m): 8:48pm On Apr 11, 2016
Look before you leap....
The banks that gave loans to aregbesola don't care if crude oil price is -$30.....
Bros be wise..

12 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by Nobody: 8:49pm On Apr 11, 2016
The guy below me might have an idea.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by canalily(m): 8:49pm On Apr 11, 2016
Dnt try it biko! shocked
Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by darocha1: 8:50pm On Apr 11, 2016
starting a business with loan is not a bad idea but starting with bank loan is a risk one needs to be careful about.
1. What is the security on your present job
2. Can you cope with the interest rate from bank
3. No business yields proceeds immediately so are you sure the load wont be too much on your salary
4. Running cost: This is one vital part of business most people neglect. The money you pump into the business alone is at times more than your initial capital cos you keep pumping it in till the business stabilizes
5. Please don't trust on this company workers when it comes to haulage, there is a lot more homework to be done.
In all, please consider the loan carefully cos to collect money is sweet but pack back is never easy.
Thank you

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by dking123: 8:51pm On Apr 11, 2016
I think even if the business fails, he would have learnt a lot. its still better to try and fail than not to try at all. since his sallary can pay back the loan.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by Arewa12: 8:52pm On Apr 11, 2016
my broda bank loan 4get am. It nt the best option

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by adebrave1(m): 8:52pm On Apr 11, 2016
my own piece tho maybe foolish but it I think it's better you have monthly contribution which will be from your salary and use it to start the business rather than go for bank loan that anything can happen. it's a business so it either you gain or loss.

Think about it my broda. Wake up in the midnight and think, you will get the inspiration on what to do.

Peace!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by Benart(m): 8:52pm On Apr 11, 2016
No, I suggest cause a debt is always hard to pay unless a very disciplined person cause different challenges come up daily esp with the current financial status in our country I will say when planning always think of the ups and downs u don't expect everything to be 100% smooth, I pray God flourishes your business and grants you another medium

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by agarawu23(m): 8:53pm On Apr 11, 2016
I hate loans
I won't be able to sleep well grin

17 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by petux(m): 8:53pm On Apr 11, 2016
to me, it is very risky. i would prefer to save up my capital myself. If the business eventually crushes, and you are unable to pay back, the embarrassment and shame is gonna be bad bro......i just hate loans mehn!
Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by kidgod: 8:53pm On Apr 11, 2016
Yes. Only if he's going to invest it in footbll betting

[size=24pt]Kidgod
[/size]
Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by Mbamifeanyi(m): 8:54pm On Apr 11, 2016
my advice to u is these Go on with the loan but do inform the bank to b deducting at least 1/2 of ur salary monthly or every two months. it might b difficult but u will smile at last

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by lekkie073(m): 8:55pm On Apr 11, 2016
if u r not going to actively monitor ur investment. ...its dangerous to use a loan to facilitate such business because at d end of d day d business might crumble and u r still left with debt to pay...

think wisely

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by initialize(m): 8:56pm On Apr 11, 2016
Always do business within your capacity...

"Aim small, Miss small"

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by jojomario(m): 8:56pm On Apr 11, 2016
using loans to start logistic/transportation business. Especially when you are not the driver in-charge. my brother don't try it. You can do it if you will be the one to drive or you will be the motor boy.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by lonelydora: 8:56pm On Apr 11, 2016
A very big YES. As long as you a permanent staff and not a contract staff. The bank will deduct it from source as soon salary is paid. They do it in a way it won't stress you. Don't do a short term loan but a long term loan, although the longer the higher you pay.

I am also into trucking biz.

Please PM let's talk bizness.
Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by yomalex(m): 8:56pm On Apr 11, 2016
It's much better to scale up your operations as the business expands but in the case of a capital intensive business loans should be last resort, seeking partnerships is an option.

**by loans I take it that you mean that which is sourced from the bank
Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by lilyheaven: 8:57pm On Apr 11, 2016
i say no! it is not wise
Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by adeolabilkis002: 8:57pm On Apr 11, 2016
It is a good idea cos it is not easy to raise such huge capital on ur salary.life itself is risky and this biz is a calculated risk u can take
Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by Sibrah: 8:57pm On Apr 11, 2016
If it is a single digit interest loan, then yes, it is a risk worth taking. Double digits? i say no.
Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by lexy070(m): 8:58pm On Apr 11, 2016
If its a bank loan then u need a collateral. Banks can't use ur salary as 1, it wud be difficult 2 see u collecting de loan.
Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by Lexusgs430: 8:58pm On Apr 11, 2016
Steroid - - - - - Simply don't overgear your financial muscle. All business structures, have an element of risks attached.
NB : NO RISK - - - - NO REWARD!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by oluplus(m): 8:59pm On Apr 11, 2016
It's normal to take risk, but let it be a calculated one.
How much loan are we talking about? What is the interest rate and the tenor?
My problem is paying back with the proceeds of the business and your salary at the same time. If the business cannot take care of itself, then I feel it's not worth it.
My opinion

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by haggdon: 8:59pm On Apr 11, 2016
Of course, you can start with loan If you are sure that there will be no any problem that will occur, and that you will pay the money swiftly with your salary.
Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by Ramanto(m): 9:00pm On Apr 11, 2016
A Risk Is Worth Taking If The Reward Is Justifiable

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Start A Business With Loan by Beno3: 9:00pm On Apr 11, 2016
OK!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CBN To Unveil Naira-Yuan Swap Deal Operational Framework Next Week / Over 30 Taxes Choke Industries In Nigeria As FG Plans 18 More / Is Easy Taxi Shutting Down in Abuja, Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.