Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,676 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:16 PM

Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult (38563 Views)

Bridge At Ojota, Lagos Has No Rails. Death Trap For Students & Passersby (Pics) / PHOTOS: Newly Built Pedestrian Bridge In Ojota, Lagos / States Groan Under Debt Bondage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by ajalawole(m): 2:24pm On Apr 12, 2016
op, abeg no lie. Are those not the people on their way to obtain their wailers form grin
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by classiclight(m): 2:25pm On Apr 12, 2016
they urgently need more pedestrian bridge in that area
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by darisgod(m): 2:27pm On Apr 12, 2016
kenny987:
Since the bridge is narrow and was not envisaged to handle this much crowd at the time of construction, the Lagos State govt may want to consider a zebra crossing sign painted on the road with traffic lights to regulate the movement of vehicles and pedestrians around the area. At least until a more suitable alternative is found rather than make people pass through unnecessary hardship.

Zebra crossing u say?.. Some driver thinks it "tomtom"advert angry grin
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by senatorbayor(m): 2:27pm On Apr 12, 2016
This same crowd would have been crossing the express road thereby causing major hold up and traffic for motorist.
With time, they will get use to the bridge.
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by ify2016: 2:32pm On Apr 12, 2016
No be lie o. The first time I applied that bridge since 11 years back. It has always been a normal short cut for me but now I have no choice
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:33pm On Apr 12, 2016
BushidoBlue:

Hope you know that there has been a rapid population expansion since then?
I would suggest that the government build another bridge, a wider bridge to ease the flow of pedestrians simple. This new Bridge should have ramps for the physically challenged and aged.
Taking the beggers off the bridges will be a good start point.

I don't take any footbridge with roofs in the middle of the night because of thieves.
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by bigtt76(f): 2:34pm On Apr 12, 2016
You queue at bank, queue at Filling station, queue at bus stations, now queue at overhead bridge .....toh lipsrsealed
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by worksmart(m): 2:35pm On Apr 12, 2016
What so difficult for the Governor to build one or two extra bridges nearby?
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by Dollipsejay(m): 2:37pm On Apr 12, 2016
mutiply:
Most drivers don't know about the zebra crossing sign, many drivers in lagos don't even give preference to learners, they are always in a hurry.
you are right jawe.. does drivers with they eyes pointing reds
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by Nobody: 2:38pm On Apr 12, 2016
mutiply:
Most drivers don't know about the zebra crossing sign, many drivers in lagos don't even give preference to learners, they are always in a hurry.

... and schooling them isn't an option? How did the Fashola govt. enforce the usage of seatbelts by drivers?
What that person said was right, it's better to have a zebra crossing there than to avoid a sudden collapse of the bridge or turn the place to a preferable destination for pick pockets. . .
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by veraponpo(m): 2:38pm On Apr 12, 2016
kenonze:
We are not used to doing the right thing.

Its better late than late.

Better late than never
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by opeaceo: 2:39pm On Apr 12, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

The beggers and physically-challenged people on those bridges, who no use wheelchairs to sell goods should be prevented from gaining access to them.
Nope, since I've been using that foot bridge, I haven't seen a beggar or a physically challenged person on that bridge.

From my observation, bridges without covers attract beggars and the handicapped sweeping the bridges, for bridges with cover, the beggars sit at the foot of the bridge to beg
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by Bollinger(m): 2:43pm On Apr 12, 2016
kenonze:

You are wrong. The government's job is to provide the right amenities to assist people to do the right thing. Common sense should tell the govt to build another bridge in close proximity to the first one. People tend to break the law when resources are scarce.

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by askakim(m): 2:53pm On Apr 12, 2016
It is not funny @ all waiting twenty minutes just to cross to ikeja side ds week.. Ambode come to our rescue

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by macaranta(m): 3:01pm On Apr 12, 2016
Lagos is too crowded
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by andyanders: 3:02pm On Apr 12, 2016
kenonze:

Exactly. When there was no bridge and people were been killed everyday, they were blaming the government for their insincerity and lack of care for her citizens.

Now, that the bridge has been provided and same people were still crossing the roads and still been killed, they still blame government for asking them to make use of the bridge.

What they are forced to do is for their own good and not even for the government. I wouldn't know if we have to say that the black man is cursed. We are hard to govern. Put anything in place for public use and one insane man known as a Nigerian would end up destroying it.

2 Likes

Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by datribune: 3:10pm On Apr 12, 2016
I've read a lot of ignorant posts on dis matter here. People just comment without knowing what they ar talking about. d Lagos state govt didn't do its homework resulting in citizens suffering needlessly. dat one bridge can not take d level of human traffic. No provision 4 people wit special needs & d vulnerable was made. It's a bad advert 4 d usually brilliant governor. Citizens can't be spending upwards of one hour everytime, just to cross to the other side of d road. A high-ranking lagos state govt official needs to visit d place to understand what d citizens ar talking about, not relying on misleading posts on d internet frm ignorant folks who ar generalizing without facts & blaming d citizens 4 something dat is clearly not their fault.
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by 9jatatafo(m): 3:12pm On Apr 12, 2016
kenny987:
Since the bridge is narrow and was not envisaged to handle this much crowd at the time of construction, the Lagos State govt may want to consider a zebra crossing sign painted on the road with traffic lights to regulate the movement of vehicles and pedestrians around the area. At least until a more suitable alternative is found rather than make people pass through unnecessary hardship.

Short-sighted leaders
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by eltata(m): 3:18pm On Apr 12, 2016
I beg your pardon,, zebra crossing on a trunk A road not even speed bumps,, the solution here is to segment the overhead walk way by dividing it into two halves, those coming from the left side take right segment and vice versa on a single line.
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by dklex(m): 3:21pm On Apr 12, 2016
ybalogs:
We need to decongest Lagos. But how do we do that? By creating job opportunities in other towns and cities I believe. Now again, how do we do that? Is our government working towards that? Too many questions begging for answers that's definitely not forthcoming.
#GodblessNigeria

Too many question, few answer, give me lagos to Calabar rail line, and I will be coming to lagos daily from Ore to do my business and go back to sleep jejelly, less noise, less pollution, but my fat filled NASS will not allow that.
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by babybrace(f): 3:23pm On Apr 12, 2016
ybalogs:
We need to decongest Lagos. But how do we do that? By creating job opportunities in other towns and cities I believe. Now again, how do we do that? Is our government working towards that? Too many questions begging for answers that's definitely not forthcoming.
#GodblessNigeria

You are smart.
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by kenny987(f): 3:24pm On Apr 12, 2016
eltata:

I beg your pardon,, zebra crossing on a trunk A road not even speed bumps,, the solution here is to segment the overhead walk way by dividing it into two halves, those coming from the left side take right segment and vice versa on a single line.

My suggestion is meant to be a stop-gap measure and a temporary one that can be arranged within 3 days ie install traffic lights and paint on the zebra crossing or speed bumps like u suggested. Segmenting the overhead walkway will make sense if the bridge is wide enough. However if it isn't attempts at ur suggestions will be a mere exercise in futility. It will also take time and can certainly not be done within a matter of days.

You and I know our government and it's notoriety for slow pace of projects that benefit the poor masses.
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by frisky2good(m): 3:24pm On Apr 12, 2016
Zebra crossing on expressway?

kenny987:
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by kenny987(f): 3:26pm On Apr 12, 2016
frisky2good:
Zebra crossing on expressway?

Temporary measure rather than force people on a queue for almost an hour before crossing a mere bridge.
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by pguy(m): 3:33pm On Apr 12, 2016
Na by force to stay lagos God 4 bid dis life
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by santori: 3:36pm On Apr 12, 2016
ybalogs:
#GodblessNigeria

how ? when some people prefer no development because the architects of the development belongs to the camp of their perceived enemy
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by Nobody: 3:39pm On Apr 12, 2016
veraponpo:

Better late than never

Yes,
In this regard, better late to where you are hurring to go than "late" (die) while trying to cross the road.
So better late than late
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by MizTyna(f): 3:39pm On Apr 12, 2016
Make that bridge no just collapse
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by naptu2: 3:42pm On Apr 12, 2016
kenny987:

Temporary measure rather than force people on a queue for almost an hour before crossing a mere bridge.

Your suggestion makes sense, but I think the reason that people are opposed to it is because of the crazy drivers we have here.

I'll give you an example. There are zebra crossings and speed bumps before the two roundabouts at either end of the Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge. A sane person would slow down in order to safely go over the speed bump, give way to pedestrians on the zebra crossing and go round the roundabout. Unfortunately there are very few sane people in Lagos. I see quite a lot drivers accelerate as they approach the speed bumps, in order to demonstrate that their car is capable of jumping over the bumps. Sometimes it seems as if their intention is to kill any pedestrian they see on the zebra crossing and unfortunately there have been too many Saturday mornings that I've seen cars that have plunged into the roundabout or smashed into the wall beside the roundabout because they've been trying to go round at full speed.

I think this is why some people are opposed to your suggestion.

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by juman(m): 3:43pm On Apr 12, 2016
ybalogs:
#GodblessNigeria

Whenever there is regular electricity in the country, more than half of lagos population would move back to their villages.

More coordination by the authority at the peak hours will relieve the bridge users.
Bigger bridge is needed.
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by mutiply: 3:58pm On Apr 12, 2016
blackberlin:

... and schooling them isn't an option? How did the Fashola govt. enforce the usage of seatbelts by drivers?
What that person said was right, it's better to have a zebra crossing there than to avoid a sudden collapse of the bridge or turn the place to a preferable destination for pick pockets. . .

schooling them is the right option. The point i was trying to make is that there too many drivers out there who know little about driving.
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by DICKtator: 4:08pm On Apr 12, 2016
kenny987:

Loool!!!!!

Still remember the ,"Are you a zebra?" Zebra crossing joke!!!

Hahahahahahaha!!!!

grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Biafran Leader Nnamdi Kanu: The Man Behind Nigeria's Separatists - BBC / Hundreds Of Boko Haram Terrorist Killed In Adamawa / Buhari Orders MDAs To Run Treasury Single Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.