Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,716 members, 7,816,947 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

Max Siollun Unravels That The 1966 Coup Was Not Just An ''igbo Coup'' - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Max Siollun Unravels That The 1966 Coup Was Not Just An ''igbo Coup'' (9340 Views)

Nigerian Elections: What If Buhari Wins? By Max Siollun / Col. Ben Gbulie, One Of The 1966 Coupists Speaks On The Coup And Awo / Buhari Coup Was Done In Ignorance- Lar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Max Siollun Unravels That The 1966 Coup Was Not Just An ''igbo Coup'' by Onlytruth(m): 3:18am On Oct 25, 2010
jason12345:

its because of diplomacy and respect for and by other regions in nigeria thats why SS is have a president from their region.
but you e-warriors (ot,dede1, co) have ranted about your bravery and so called invasion. you don't respect other regions but you expect them to respect you no its not possible.
the SS are respected by other regions and they it. you now want to attach yourselves to them to gain respect .

i just joined NL. i have been going through what you guys have been saying. i started off as a neutral and i am still a neutral but the e-warriors have to be honest with themselves. what happened? why are [size=20pt]we [/size]being marginalised? the SS that you so boldly call minorities are running nigeria. why? ask yourselves and you just might break this york of hatred. anyway, pls, when you want to start your trouble, don't involve innocent women and children. good luck in your invasion, you will need it wink

Guy, you are really smoking something quite strong! shocked shocked shocked Who are the WE you are referring to?  LoL.
Who are you fooling with your "I just joined nairaland"? Wait I'll soon create another username and "join nairaland".

I stand by what I said before, and if you notice, most Igbo are not even bothering to comment on your idiotic thread "Biafra". You just knock yourself out.  cool cool

Like I said, NOBODY can gang up against Ndigbo in Nigeria EVER again.

And all this talk about Igbo "invading your land" is just pure idiocy. We never INVADED your land. If we did, you won't be here to tell the story.
Re: Max Siollun Unravels That The 1966 Coup Was Not Just An ''igbo Coup'' by jason12345: 3:24am On Oct 25, 2010
Onlytruth:

Guy, you are really smoking something quite strong! shocked shocked shocked Who are the WE you are referring to?  LoL.
Who are you fooling with your "I just joined nairaland"? Wait I'll soon create another username and "join nairaland".

I stand by what I said before, and if you notice, most Igbo are not even bothering to comment on your idiotic thread "Biafra". You just knock yourself out.  cool cool

Like I said, NOBODY can gang up against Ndigbo in Nigeria EVER again.

And all this talk about Igbo "invading your land" is just pure idiocy. We never INVADED your land. If we did, you won't be here to tell the story.

ode, we refers to the biafrans

about the just joined NL. there is absolutely no reason for me to lie

Amen to the bolded part. and the biafra topic thing, i have noticed anytime core

if
Re: Max Siollun Unravels That The 1966 Coup Was Not Just An ''igbo Coup'' by jason12345: 3:28am On Oct 25, 2010
ode, we refers to the biafrans

about the just joined NL. that is absolutely no reason for me to lie

Amen to the bolded part. and the biafra topic thing, i have noticed anytime core facts are produce about biafra, it either you deny it or just ignore. my aim was to end the idea of any "betrayal".

about the invasion thing. pls try it next time, pls
Re: Max Siollun Unravels That The 1966 Coup Was Not Just An ''igbo Coup'' by Onlytruth(m): 3:34am On Oct 25, 2010
jason12345:

ode, [size=14pt]we refers to the biafrans[/size]

about the just joined NL. there is absolutely no reason for me to lie

Amen to the bolded part. and the biafra topic thing, i have noticed anytime core facts are produce about biafra, it either you deny it or just ignore. my aim was to end the idea of any "betrayal".

about the invasion thing. pls try it next time, pls

You are a grass-chewing goat to even insinuate that Biafra has ANYTHING to do with you.

As for the invasion thing that you are so SCARED STIFF about (lol grin I can see through your FEAR), as long as you don't try what you did in 1967, you'd be fine.

The betrayal part has long been settled in our (Igbo) mindset. You'd need a TITANIUM chisel to remove it from our mind.
So learn to live with it.
Re: Max Siollun Unravels That The 1966 Coup Was Not Just An ''igbo Coup'' by jason12345: 3:39am On Oct 25, 2010
Onlytruth:

You are a grass-chewing goat to even insinuate that Biafra has ANYTHING to do with you.

As for the invasion thing that you are so SCARED STIFF about (lol grin I can see through your FEAR), as long as you don't try what you did in 1967, you'd be fine.

The betrayal part has long been settled in our (Igbo) mindset. You'd need a TITANIUM chisel to remove it from our mind.

"we" in the statement is for the biafrans not me or the yorubas.

me scared stiff?
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Max Siollun Unravels That The 1966 Coup Was Not Just An ''igbo Coup'' by jason12345: 3:41am On Oct 25, 2010
Onlytruth:

even if you know it was a lie? now, thats delusional
Re: Max Siollun Unravels That The 1966 Coup Was Not Just An ''igbo Coup'' by Onlytruth(m): 3:48am On Oct 25, 2010
jason12345:

even if you know it was a lie? now, thats delusional

Why not allow me to live with my "delusion"? I'm not complaining. undecided undecided undecided
Nigeria's history is self explanatory.
Re: Max Siollun Unravels That The 1966 Coup Was Not Just An ''igbo Coup'' by jason12345: 2:40pm On Oct 25, 2010
Onlytruth:

Why not allow me to live with my "delusion"? I'm not complaining. undecided undecided undecided
Nigeria's history is self explanatory.

what you believe in, is nigeria's history in terms of ojukwu or anybody who to you.

obviously, they would tell you that to prevent you from asking ojukwu why he lead biafrans to a senseless movement to the 'west'. but i can see you will remain delusional. you are so filled with hatred and deceit. even if the truth was written by an igbo man .

anyway, i pray there would be no war in nigeria because if there is, you wouldn't be there. so, shut the eff- up and allow my igbos brothers and sisters to be part in to the society. do not marginalise them with your e-warrior rubbish.

what the youths pray for is development, employment, security etc. you and dede1 are praying for war . take some time out and reason. you think i will just sit down and allow my igbo friends in nigeria to be caught up in a war and killed while you and i are abroad . tufiakwa!!!
Re: Max Siollun Unravels That The 1966 Coup Was Not Just An ''igbo Coup'' by asha80(m): 2:54pm On Oct 25, 2010
^^^ my friend if you just joined nairaland newly as u said then you need to learn when to drop an agurement.
Re: Max Siollun Unravels That The 1966 Coup Was Not Just An ''igbo Coup'' by jason12345: 2:59pm On Oct 25, 2010
asha 80:

^^^ my friend if you just joined nairaland newly as u said then you need to learn when to drop an agurement.
I'll drop it smiley. it just that, i dislike ignorance
Re: Max Siollun Unravels That The 1966 Coup Was Not Just An ''igbo Coup'' by asha80(m): 3:01pm On Oct 25, 2010
jason12345:

I'll drop it smiley. it just that, i dislike ignorance

I just know you know when you exhibit it.
Re: Max Siollun Unravels That The 1966 Coup Was Not Just An ''igbo Coup'' by maxsiollun: 4:46am On Dec 08, 2010
I am humbled. Sylva Nze Ifedigbo just wrote another glowing review for the latest edition of Sentinel Magazine (Issue 4)

http://sentinelnigeria.org/online/issue4/max-siolluns-oil-politics-violence-nigeria%E2%80%99s-military-coup-culture-1966-1976/

Max Siollun’s Oil Politics & Violence: Nigeria’s Military Coup Culture (1966-1976)

Book Review

By Sylva Nze Ifedigbo

In a recent piece in NEXT ‘Making the Next 50 Count’ (http:///bThmiw) I noted a seemingly conscious effort to erase parts of our national history by making it seem like they never happened, letting them fizzle out of memory. In that piece, I argued; for us to make the most of the next fifty years of Nigeria’s life as a nation, we must go back to our history and for once take seriously the lessons of the past. If we accept that the last fifty years of nationhood has been more or less wasted, then, we must make a conscious effort to appreciate what made it a waste so we can understand how to correct the wrongs. All this is a function of history and that is what Max Siollun offers us in his book “Violence: Nigeria’s Military Coup Culture (1966-1976)”.

Besides the dearth of books on our national history and the near complete erosion of History as a subject of importance in our universities, it is saddening to note that most of the few materials available are mediocre and poorly researched, often betraying either an academic seeking to move up the ranks or a roadside hustler eager to make a quick buck selling books to “History students” equally eager to pass exams. It is in these two respects, standing against them, that Max Siollun establishes the credence of his work.

With evident objectivity, every page of the 268-page book exudes detailed research and is presented as a free flowing blow-by-blow account of events; Siollun carefully separates speculation from fact and myth from actual happenings.
This book, a detailed expose on the first four coups and the Nigerian civil war, helps bring to fore what really happened in those years, who were involved and why they did what they did. Siollun packs his work with dates and names – all easily verifiable.

Popular for his many history laced political essays in Nigerian news forums both online and off, [b]Siollun, who writes Nigerian history almost from an outsiders point of view, comes across as free from the ethnic chauvinism which limits the work of other Nigerian Historians. [/b]Siollun traces the history of the Nation before independence, particularly that of the military, and sequentially leads the reader on to the events leading up to the first coup, the counter coup, the Civil War and then traces the discussion further on to the two post-Civil War coups. The writer shows the relationship between all four coups. He highlights, in particular, the recurrent involvement of certain names, such as Babangida, Abacha, Yaradua and Buhari, in Nigeria’s coup plotting history and touches on the fact that for many years, coup plotting seemed to be the main agenda in the country’s military, quite like a culture, and how the failure to punish coup plotters helped to sustain the tradition and how this, in turn, led to instability in the polity and attendant underdevelopment which still stares Nigeria in the face today.
[b]
Siollun’s book presents new insights into widely held opinions, revealing what was hitherto not known in the public space about the working of the military and the inner happenings within its ranks, especially as they concerned the coups. [/b]It reveals that the January 15th 1966 coup, seen largely as an “Igbo Coup”, was essentially instigated by southern politicians working behind the curtain to unseat their Northern rivals and change the power equation. It also reveals the personal emotions, reactions and idiosyncrasies of the popular officers of the time and helps us understand them better, shedding light on why they did what they did then as well as their contemporary posturing.

It is generally held that there is always more than one angle to a story; therefore, many people would disagree with Siollun’s arguments or explanations on some of the events discussed in the book. This is expected and indeed the author does not pretend to have written an infallible history but has rather, simply, opened an avenue for reflection and knowledge sharing on our history. Another obvious inadequacy of the book is the fact that it covers just ten of our fifty years of national existence, this again highlights the need for other historians to rise to the challenge and tell the story after 1976.

[u]This book is a good read, made even more easily readable by Max Siollun’s fantastic prose and use of simple language in a manner which takes away the oft complained at drabness of history books. I would recommend this to all writers, political commentators and indeed all persons who love Nigeria. [/u]We can not make the next fifty years of our life as a nation worth the while if we don’t appreciate where we are coming from.

Oil Politics & Violence: Nigeria’s Military Coup Culture (1966-1976)
Max Siollun
Algora Publishing, New York; 2009
268pp
Re: Max Siollun Unravels That The 1966 Coup Was Not Just An ''igbo Coup'' by confusion247(m): 10:25pm On Sep 06, 2012
For over 40 years, all the effort to kill biafra and all associated with it have proved abortive.since then Nigeria have known no peace. is better to allow biafra to be so that we can have peace. Oji mbe na ala ji onwe ya.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photo Of Damaged River Niger Bridge During The Biafran War In 1968 / Rivers Clerics Raise Alarm Over Herdsmen’s Invasion Of Rivers’ Forests / I Visited Wikipedia To Search For Nnamdi Kanu's Rumoured Death And I Found This(

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.