Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,193 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:19 AM

Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT (21545 Views)

Amendment Of CCB/CCT Act By National Assembly Is Null & Void - Olatunde Bakare / Lawyers To Sue NASS On CCB/CCT Amendment Bill / Anti CCB-CCT Fliers In Kwara By Momodu & Saraki (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by kglamour(m): 12:54pm On Apr 15, 2016
– The Senate is passing a bill to reduce the power of the CCB and CCT
– The move is suspected to frustrate the agencies because Senator Saraki is facing trial
– Professor Sagay condemns the bill and describes it as disgusting

Prof. Itse Sagay who is the chairman of the presidential advisory committee against corruption has lashed out at the Senate for making moves to reduce the powers of the Code of Conduct Bureau and the Code of Conduct Tribunal.The Nigerian Senate on Thursday, April 14, passed the Code of Conduct act for second reading under less than 72 hours.
The bill is titled: a bill for an act to amend the Code of Conduct Bureau and tribunal act CAP C15 LFN 2004 and for other related matters, 2016.The bill was sponsored by Peter Nwaoboshi representing Delta north senatorial district who said that the act does not contemplate criminal trial.
It has been speculated that the speedy passage of the bill is to save the Senate president, Bukola Saraki from the on-going trial he was facing which was brought against him by the agencies.Sagay said the move by the senators to weaken the power of the agencies showed a lack of moral sense.He said: “It’s a surprise to me, because I really don’t know that our mentality has degenerated to such a level of self-service that the people, who were sent to the National Assembly to make laws for the benefit of all Nigerians, have started a process that will allow a complete crisis; an Act that corruption cannot be prosecuted.“To me, this is the highest level of shameless misconduct by the generality of the members of the red chamber. Obviously, there is no limit to the level of disgusting things they can do.”
Mr Femi Falana said the proposal was unreasonable as it was apparently being done because of Senator Saraki. He however pointed out that the amendment would not affect any on-going trial.Falana said:“Any amendment of the law under the constitution cannot and will not have retrospective effect. The amendment will not have any effect on pending cases in court.“The excuse being advanced for the devilish agenda is jejune because the CCT, whose members are screened for appointment by the Senate, cannot be said to be under the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.“The proposed amendment also amounts to a conflict of interest because you cannot, because of one man, amend the law of the land. It will amount to an exercise in futility.”The Senators who contributed to the debate of the bill at the National Assembly applauded it as good move.The senators are: Dino Melaye, Barau Jubrin, Samuel Anyanwu, Biodun Olujimi, Buka Abba Ibrahim and Ibrahim GobirYahaya Abdullahi who is the senator representing Kebbi north however cautioned the timing of the bill. He said Nigerians might think its passage is to frustrate the trial of Saraki at the same agencies.“I just rise to raise a point of caution. I have read and gone through the areas where the amendments are sought and I am not against it, but what I have against is the timing.“We must be ready on the issue of public perception about the position of the Senate in this regard.“Perception can be reality, the Nigerian people can easily interprete the action we are taking today to mean that for all these years, a decree, which became law since 1991, is not being challenged until today because our principal officer is standing trial before the same tribunal.

“I think for the credibility of this Senate, I think we should re-examine whether the timing is right for this bill to go through the second reading or not.”Ike Ekweremadu who presided over the plenary argued that the bill has nothing to do with Saraki.“Let me just say that this bill absolutely has nothing to do with the proceedings going on at the Code of Conduct Tribunal in which the Senate President is involved because his trialhas commenced as you are aware.“If you look at the commencement of the bill of the last paragraph, of course, on the bill which says ‘this bill may be sighted as a code of conduct bureau tribunal Act amendment bill, 2016’.“That means that the bill is not being made retrospective as to affect the proceedings at the code of conduct tribunal; certainly it has nothing to do with it. We are only doing our work as parliamentarians.”

https://www.naij.com/799984-saraki-senators-shameless-disgusting-sagay.html?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C1803710852

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by Nobody: 12:55pm On Apr 15, 2016
Sagay and Falana dem bi pesin?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by TANTUMERGO007(m): 12:55pm On Apr 15, 2016
the beauty of democracy cheesy

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by TANTUMERGO007(m): 12:58pm On Apr 15, 2016
saraki is to me as tinubu(amaechi, atiku, obasanjo, fashola, fayemi and nyako) is to zombies

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by juniorportland(m): 1:01pm On Apr 15, 2016
saraki is really a desperate cow.....he is one of the major reasons why pmb can't function at His best

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by kglamour(m): 1:02pm On Apr 15, 2016
chukwudi44:
Sagay and Falana dem bi pesin?
abobaku!
pesin, why we no c u for this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3050265/court-tells-saraki-face-trial

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by Nobody: 1:05pm On Apr 15, 2016
juniorportland:
saraki is really a desperate cow.....he is one of the major reasons why pmb can't function at His best

lol so nobi GEJ again

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by Ratello: 1:10pm On Apr 15, 2016
Saraki may be on his way to Kuje later this month....

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by juniorportland(m): 1:19pm On Apr 15, 2016
Ratello:
Saraki may be on his way to Kuje later this month....
the guy ain't going anywhere..... but its best if he stops been Senate president

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by Japhestra(m): 2:06pm On Apr 15, 2016
You will surely go down with Saraki.

3 Likes

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by LocalChamp: 2:18pm On Apr 15, 2016
SARAKI, THE FACE OF CORRUPTION

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by Utazzy: 3:22pm On Apr 15, 2016
okkkk

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by goodlifehyd(m): 3:22pm On Apr 15, 2016
This senators are just bunch of thieves, if its a law to sentence looters to death by hanging or any other law that the ordinary citizens would benefit from you would see the bill thrown out before the first reading but here comes a bill that gives them more freedom to lie and embezzle and its speedily been passed, hopefully it would be rejected and if not i am pretty sure it wont affect the ongoing case of saraki cuz his case started way before the "mumu" law was being passed

8 Likes

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by Horlawale1(m): 3:23pm On Apr 15, 2016
Thief

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by Nobody: 3:24pm On Apr 15, 2016
I HAVE SAID IT grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
NIGERIA WILL NEVER CHANGE, WE WILL NEVER REACH THE PROMISE LAND grin grin grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by sucess001(m): 3:24pm On Apr 15, 2016
I don't have a problem with them doing that to an agency which is only being used by the executive shamelessly.

you leave Tinubu for same offence and then pursue saraki...

Then you say Tinubu was freed in error and he walks free while you are going after saraki?

no proper justice system survives with an uneven scale...

I would even recommend that the senate passes a law to scrap it.

9 Likes

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by easyfem(m): 3:26pm On Apr 15, 2016
I swear this will make pple hate saraki more

11 Likes

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by adedam007(m): 3:27pm On Apr 15, 2016
Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by easyfem(m): 3:27pm On Apr 15, 2016
everydayperson:
I HAVE SAID IT grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
NIGERIA WILL NEVER CHANGE, WE WILL NEVER REACH THE PROMISE LAND grin grin grin grin

That is for u and ur family

17 Likes

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by tobyemmanuel(m): 3:28pm On Apr 15, 2016
LMAO. Saraki on his way to kirikiri... Amen

5 Likes

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by Okijajuju1(m): 3:29pm On Apr 15, 2016
Shamelessly o!

I was watching the hearing and couldnt help but offer a prayer for the people of Nigeria (especially the Youths).

When we are not sitting in our palours watching football, music videos or telemundo,
We are in Beer palours gisting shiit about the Government.

Even the so called 'common-sense' general sat there watching the fhuckery like a dunce and saying nothing.

Why would the Senate try to weaken a body that already has no real powers as it is?

angry angry angry

Dino Malaye couldn't help but show his enthusiasm for wanting the powers of these bodies reduced.

angry angry angry

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by Ekeretehanson(m): 3:29pm On Apr 15, 2016
God help Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by Pavore9: 3:30pm On Apr 15, 2016
Anything for their selfish interest!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by TANTUMERGO007(m): 3:30pm On Apr 15, 2016
easyfem:

open your eyes wella, he said the 'ipsa'
Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by adekayo1234(m): 3:30pm On Apr 15, 2016
corruption fighting back

4 Likes

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by Nobody: 3:31pm On Apr 15, 2016
easyfem:

YES, we shall never change from Hope to Despondence, From Progress to Backwardness, From Justice to Injustice, From Joy to Sorrow, From Wealth to Poverty begging for loans to feed and pay salaries.. NO - that is for you and your family and friends wink

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by Ratello: 3:32pm On Apr 15, 2016
Bloody rogue who deserves to be shot....

2 Likes

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by beycity1: 3:37pm On Apr 15, 2016
I dey wait for d next move........

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by Nobody: 3:44pm On Apr 15, 2016
Rightly said- my concern is the timing. We all know in our heart of hearts that this move is to protect Saraki, and this is where the senators are shallow and missing it. Even if this bill is amended today, it will not in anyway affect Saraki's trial. So why not wait, so as not to make the populace view them with contempt. Anyway that's their cup.

Call 08035034841 for your change of name advert in Guardian Newspaper.

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by adidasBarca: 3:44pm On Apr 15, 2016
Nigeria is full with corrupt leaders,and we all are shouting CHANGE.I pray God will answer Nigerians cry very soon

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lawyers Condemn Saraki's Move To Weaken CCB, CCT by Nobody: 3:45pm On Apr 15, 2016
For Nigeria to prosper, we must carefully examine o senators as carefully as we now scrutinize our presidents

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ambode Inspects Lay-By And Slip Road At Berger, Lagos / Aisha Buhari Visits Oba Akiolu Of Lagos / PDP Presidential Ticket : Atiku Can’t Stop Us – Lamido, Shekarau, Makarfi Vow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.