Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:53 PM

Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? (25699 Views)

A Kogi State Civil Servant Resigned Due To Non Payment Of Salary / Kogi Civil Servant Who Returned N1.78m Excess Salary Speaks (photo) / Fayose Gives Kia Cerato To Bamisile Lucy, Ekiti Best Civil Servant, 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by anonimi: 7:02am On Apr 16, 2016
Osirimononaye:
Yes!! By saving for a long time and later investing in something lucrative....You can start an online business, since it doesn't require"Moving" from place to place.......#MyOneCent

Save from N18,000 minimum wage
Who is FOOLING who please?
How can our country progress in the face of our own self-DECEIT?
Why are we our own worst enemies

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2964976_20151016091403_jpegab4fdf99d5d2b7cb6f756cadf280d0a9

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by chickengeorge: 7:03am On Apr 16, 2016
Yes if he wins Baba Ijebu and Bet9ja and then invest in huge return investments like landed properties.
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by fejicruz(m): 7:04am On Apr 16, 2016
Na Civil Service Commission employ the governors abi
originally:
Governors are civil servants too u know
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by Nobody: 7:05am On Apr 16, 2016
Yes, if the Civil servant can start a lucrative business which does not disturb his job.
I know about four who are civil servants but are millionaires from other businesses.
Goodluck Pal.
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by aspirebig: 7:06am On Apr 16, 2016
If you have genuine means of becoming a billionaire,why not follow it and allow someone else get the civil servant job?

It is very difficult to even maintain your status as a millionaire steadily,let alone a billionaire on a government pay roll. Even you have decided to do some bad deals to make money.
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by Trunaijian: 7:08am On Apr 16, 2016
The public service rules and regulation does not permit civil servants to participate fully in any other corporate organization. ie you cannot be a director in any other business. You are only allowed to participate actively in farming business. ie agriculture. This is because it is believed that your loyalty or dedication to your civil service engagement will be reduced if you participate fully in other businesses.
But lets talk reality now. A better half of civil servant are business owners outside their govt jobs. Even though the govt is aware of this fact, there has not been any civil servant that had been fired or demoted or has faced Any disciplinary action because of his participation in other businesses. Am guessing because of the fact that civil servants are mostly ill paid, the authorities tend to look the other way and consider it a necessary evil. Afterall, its better than looting or embezzlement.
You can do other businesses outside your civil service job, but becoming a millionaire or billionaire doing it may require your undivided attention and that will affect your punctuality in your govt job. Some people are lucky to be in places where attendance isn't taken to seriously and they are able to get away with it so far they appear time to time.

The idea is serving two masters at same time is not easy. One may suffer. Doing business that require minimal supervision may be ideal so that monitoring can be done after the close of work from your govt job or having a trusted employee, family member or assignee to supervise in your absence.

It can be done. But you must PLAN!.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by Pamelayoung: 7:15am On Apr 16, 2016
Hell No! My mum spent 35 gud yrs of her life in service to the Nigerian govt. With nothing to show for it. I have since then detested the idea of serving Nigerian Govt.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by Nobody: 7:17am On Apr 16, 2016
Civil servants are allowed to engage I farming. Farmers in the western world are millionaires why not in Nigeria, especially mixed farming

1 Like

Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by jaybee3(m): 7:18am On Apr 16, 2016
You can't use tax payers money to legally make civil servants billionaires and top civil servants are normally supposed to disengage themselves from any business/outside services that may cause conflict of interest

The simple answer is No
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by wengerjay(m): 7:19am On Apr 16, 2016
Many civil servants are richer than the politicians.

1 Like

Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by anonimi: 7:24am On Apr 16, 2016
lonelydora:
Only if you can divert some cash for personal use. But, it's not business as usual. Na Buhari dey throne now.

Buhari is also very CORRUPT.
He simply knows how to chop and clean mouth.
Just leave matter for Matthias. grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3441929_img20160227001458_jpeg3fecf627d6b5447631b348f011e59b5a

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by Osirimononaye(m): 7:26am On Apr 16, 2016
anonimi:

Save from N18,000 minimum wage
Who is FOOLING who please?
How can our country progress in the face of our own self-DECEIT?
Why are we our own worst enemies

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2964976_20151016091403_jpegab4fdf99d5d2b7cb6f756cadf280d0a9
Is better to try something new than to remain static at your initial position like a "Dragon ball".....You can be saving 1K from the 18K nw.
That's entreprenuership for u, u suffer a little to make it to the top jahre.......#BePositive

1 Like

Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by doskie(m): 7:28am On Apr 16, 2016
anyone can turn millionaire overnight and continue from there. if you stand as an agent and sell a house in banana island. oh come on! if you had a plot in ajah or even epe and ambode suddenly builds airport refinery seaport and leventis come there. the money go say e no go enter your account because you be servant? no nah!

1 Like

Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by fcetbici(m): 7:29am On Apr 16, 2016
It is possible for industrious civili servant. I am civil servant and into online importation of automobile from USA. The US active period start from 4pm Nigeria time which is civil servant closing hour. The only but is that as you are attaining multimillionaire you will be planning to resign.

1 Like

Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by anonimi: 7:31am On Apr 16, 2016
wengerjay:
Many civil servants are richer than the politicians.

Can they?
Should they?
Are you confirming that the civil servants you know who are richer than politicians are THIEVES who deprive us of basic modern amenities?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3473612_image_jpeg_jpeg6f95b5e7a24ad4fc0808d6698fd37362

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/avatars/pcvhprupz53v0i2s3lqkiiftaebf16ps1287728[/img]
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by josite: 7:32am On Apr 16, 2016
if being a billionaire is your goal,then dont go into public service because if u do,u will not be able to keep away your hand from being solied in too many dirty deals.those who made it through the civil service compromised.

1 Like

Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by anonimi: 7:32am On Apr 16, 2016
fcetbici:
It is possible for industrious civili servant. I am civil servant and into online importation of automobile from USA. The US active period start from 4pm Nigeria time which is civil servant closing hour. The only but is that as you are attaining multimillionaire you will be planning to resign.

Do the civil service RULES allow you to do business while still employed in government?
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by lottomkyes10(m): 7:34am On Apr 16, 2016
yes its possible but the ratio is 1 in a 1000 if not 10000 but I have seen with my eyes even a soldier an order range for that matter rise to become a millionaire controlling soo much money legally and lawfully he is still alive and making more money still in the army no connection like from a rich family grow his business from my very eye. all soldiers know him in the barrack you need 1 million he is just a call away.
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by erico2k2(m): 7:43am On Apr 16, 2016
NobleAky:
It is always said that public servants especially the civil servants are either low or average income earners. This stereotype has made many think against becoming one.
My Question is, can't a civil servant turn a legal millionaire if not a billionaire while in service by using his spare time to engage in personal business? The experienced ones i need your candid opinions here because i love to be one and still be legally rich.

Please lalalastica, seun and the moderator responsible for this section i need people's opinion about this pls help send it to the front page. We can all learn from the experienced ones!
Yes yoy can if you are an Engineer. A lawyer. A lecturer. The list goes on even an accountant.
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by clefstone(m): 7:46am On Apr 16, 2016
originally:
Governors are civil servants too u know
governors are public servants

1 Like

Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by anonimi: 7:48am On Apr 16, 2016
lottomkyes10:
yes its possible but the ratio is 1 in a 1000 if not 10000 but I have seen with my eyes even a soldier an order range for that matter rise to become a millionaire controlling soo much money legally and lawfully he is still alive and making more money still in the army no connection like from a rich family grow his business from my very eye. all soldiers know him in the barrack you need 1 million he is just a call away.

Ask him whether the RULES of the army allow them to be doing business.
No wonder they can't fight Boko Haram terrorists as they are busy with ILLEGITIMATE business.
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by anonimi: 7:52am On Apr 16, 2016
erico2k2:
Yes yoy can if you are an Engineer. A lawyer. A lecturer. The list goes on even an accountant.

Do the civil service RULES that they SIGNED allow them to do any business at all?
Do they include the earnings from such business in their personal TAX returns?
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by RALPHOW(m): 7:55am On Apr 16, 2016
tempem:
Very lean!! Anyone who says it's possible should come and analyse it. A practical example would be fine, too. Bear in mind, we are talking of honest means not those that embezzle funds.

Very possible, if Seun or Linda Ikeji were civil servants they don't need to resign .
An IT Director in the ministry may be a blogger and be making cool millions. Also many civil servants works in grade A ministries are millionaires , don't be deceived by the word SERVANT entry level ie fresh graduate in CBN and other grade A ministries is above N600,000.00 per month. Many Senior staff received N1.5 Million (allowances inclusive)

2 Likes

Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by ibabz(m): 7:58am On Apr 16, 2016
Yes, it is possible but very difficult. It requires a lot of hard/smart work and discipline which is lacking in many people.
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by miqos02(m): 8:04am On Apr 16, 2016
with egunje, yes

2 Likes

Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by ptoall1000: 8:10am On Apr 16, 2016
He may not be a Billionaire or can be a multi millionaire without stealing a penny by continual savings and investment over his 30 years of service
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by birmingham04: 8:12am On Apr 16, 2016
Is 100% possible. Let assuming that you start your carrier with senior staff which is level 8 as a graduate and your earn at least 45,000 naira monthly and after 2 years of working try to go for master degree to boost your salary, and afterwards am very sure by the time you will be working for 8 years in service you will be earning at least 100,000 naira monthly. My people you might be wondering how can someone be a millionaire with earning100,000 naira monthly. This is the secret with your position in your job you are entitled for a loan grant at least at least for your years at work you can get a loan of at least 2million naira then invest that money in fish pond business and be focused don't womanize,don't go for most expensive materials things, payback the money you borrowed as at when due by the time your lender knows that you are good borrower they will be begging you with millions of loan grant. If your credit history is good believe me you can become anything you wish in your life. Working with govt gives you chances of getting loan than working with private company cos govt job got job security and that is what the lender will put into consideration. My good people if you want to be a successful person in life you have to borrow Dangote his still borrowing. You can be a millionaires/billionaires without stealing just focus and with God's grace the sky is your limit. I hope these analysis help a bit. Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by val15: 8:16am On Apr 16, 2016
100 percent possible through 9ja bet
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by fcetbici(m): 8:28am On Apr 16, 2016
anonimi:

Do the civil service RULES allow you to do business while still employed in government?
Yes. So far you are not doing it during office hours. If it is not allow why campaigning entrepreneurship to civil servant.
Re: Can A Civil Servant Be A Billionaire While In Service? by anonimi: 8:31am On Apr 16, 2016
fcetbici:
Yes. So far you are not doing it during office hours. If it is not allow why campaigning entrepreneurship to civil servant.

I will be very grateful if you can provide the reference to this rule that allows doing business once it is outside office hours?
Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) / Fred Oyetayo's 24th Birthday Pictures CEO Of Fresible, Lawrepositoryng / Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.