Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,706 members, 7,816,899 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:46 PM

What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? (32751 Views)

6 Struggles Of Owning A Tiny Lagos Apartment / Top 5 Five Factors To Put Into Consideration When Renting A House In Lagos ! / Tree Growing In Between A House In Benin (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by Sard(m): 6:48am On Apr 21, 2016
Personally, I think it shouldn't be about age.
Financial stability should be the main factor; Once you start having enough to feed yourself and save some good amount of money, owing a house should be given a consideration.

2 Likes

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by Nobody: 6:49am On Apr 21, 2016
29 max
Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by bbulldog(m): 6:51am On Apr 21, 2016
drkay:
Well, 30yrs isn't bad. I moved into mine at 29 and am still the youngest landlord in my estate at the moment but there's this guy that is currently putting finishing touches into his house, very close to mine, he should be in his mid 20's.
if not for the help of fraud, internet fraud, or dasuki type of money.... A mid 20 guy building a house. Shame on Nigeria, yahoo business is now kinda eligible... God help us all

2 Likes

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by kamelonaire(m): 6:53am On Apr 21, 2016
The idea time one shld start building is own house his when he or she never get married.. That is the best time I think...

If u get married the idea tu build or own a house won't be in ur plan anymore bcus u will be thinking another think apart from building a house

1 Like

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by OShepherd: 6:53am On Apr 21, 2016
@Agarawu! U are talking 4rm d point of reality but I see so many fellas jst dreaming here on NL. Gud AM house!
Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by godunia(m): 6:57am On Apr 21, 2016
Start planning building your own as soon as you can irrespective of your age. The main factor is, money.its not an easy project cos it drains and put hole in ones pocket during construction but it is a worthwhile venture at the end. You can buy a land in a suburb build and yet be determined to move into the city in the future.the most important is marriage, you can always buy a house, marry a wife but the quesone's is how old would your children when you are 60(retirement)

4 Likes

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by Leeeekeeee: 6:57am On Apr 21, 2016
28 is ok..
Thou I started mine at 26..

Basic of a man's life is food, shelter, clothing.
So why not provide a permanent shelter before moving to the next phase of life, Bringing life onto the earth..

6 Likes

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by nkemdi89(f): 6:57am On Apr 21, 2016
Is the question applicable to both gender?.
Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by magicminister: 6:59am On Apr 21, 2016
it shouldn't be dependent on age.
If you get the money, buy house!
If u no get money, pray to God to open the doors for you!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by Acidosis(m): 7:01am On Apr 21, 2016
It is financially stup!d to aspire to be a landlord just because you want to be one, especially for a young man.

A man who hasn't even found stability in his job has no business in building a house. Some tolled that line and they ended up in regret upon job transfer, etc.

What if you build a house in Mowe, and you get a better job in Ijanikin? Would you carry your house on your head and move to your new location? That's economic stup!dity.

Those who are near the retirement age should earnestly pursue owing a house. For a young man, there are many things you could put your money into. You could buy lands (let it appreciate), save your money and build when it is suitable.

Rather than build an economically stup!d liability at 22, why don't you build a business, a firm, get graduates off the street, and contribute to the economy of Nigeria, instead of a redundant Landlord association?

17 Likes

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by Lanretoye(m): 7:02am On Apr 21, 2016
Except the Lord builds the house, builder buildeth bu in vain.
All the same building a house in averagely unrealistic at 30 with the current economic situation,except you are a fraudster.However,setting th ball in motion about that age is very important.
Some people laid foundation at 27 and never roofed it while some people started at 47 and completed within a year.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by joey150(m): 7:02am On Apr 21, 2016
So every 29 or 34 years old would own a house??

Lets be logical here.. Half the youths dont even have jobs. And there is no right age for anybody.
Whenever you can....you should. Simple!!

Can everybody even own houses if given the means?? What a crappy question if you ask me. When did nl turn to quora I mean the poorer version where people ask shitty questions.

3 Likes

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by 4C2215131: 7:09am On Apr 21, 2016
MRBrownJ:
owning a home should ONLY be a priority if A) this is what you desire for your life or B) you have the MEANS to afford the house you DESIRE, where you desire it.

so many clueless people buy cheap homes in RUBBISH area, just because they want to own a house... and in turn, they are miserable as soon as they set foot in. if buying a home isnt beneficial to you 110%, then you shouldnt dream of buying it.

You got some points there.

1 Like

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by EmmaOgbu(m): 7:17am On Apr 21, 2016
Since women are the mother of house, once u marry plan for a house of ur own. I got married(TM) last year December, bought a land dis year March, wedded dis month and am right now planning to develop d land. Am 29 years now. So it depends on your capability, but it's better you do it earlier since you know its essential.
Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by Eeroh95(m): 7:17am On Apr 21, 2016
Considering the difficulties in nigeria
You can own ahouse anytime in your life
From 20 to the day. You die

1 Like

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by Acidosis(m): 7:18am On Apr 21, 2016
Building in Nigeria is overrated.

It is economically cheaper to rent a house in Nigeria.

The money you spend renting an apartment for 50 years in some areas in Lagos cannot buy a plot of land.

E.g. A 2 bedroom apartment cost N200,000 yearly.

Multiply N200,000 by 50 years
That gives us just N10,000,000.

In Akute, Ogun state, one could get a 2 bedroom apartment at N200,000 - N300,000 annually.

In the same Akute, a plot of land sells for an average of N10,000,000!

What sense does it make to build just because you want to become a Landlord?

Many Landlords who put their houses on rent do not recover their expenses until after about 50 years. Build when you have the means, and ready to settle down as a made man. Building has never helped anyone, except those who deal on real estate.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by prinsam30: 7:18am On Apr 21, 2016
from the very day u were born into this sinful world
Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by driand(m): 7:19am On Apr 21, 2016
Logician:

A youth passionate about financial stability from should have a home by 28
that sort of thinking is the reason why we are where we are today, you at what age did ur pop acquire his first house? There is time for everything, most young people at that age who have a house already could have acquired it through inheritance or parental financial background, now you want to kill yourself because you want to have a house at 28 are you an artist? Hollywood movie star? Did u become a medical doctor @21? Just tell me what you are that would make you own a good house @ 28, you fit be yahoo boy I'll give u that but please don't mislead other young ones..

6 Likes

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by Nobody: 7:23am On Apr 21, 2016
I can't stop laughing at the level of deceit in this thread. Listen guys, I am doubting the fact that the Op moved into his house at 29..Yes, anything is possible, even if you are not from a rich family or not doing crime. But, looking at it this critically, if you moved into your house at 29, not doind crime nor from a rich family, it means the following :

1. You started saving when you were in school (I doubt that)
2. You got a good job instantly after leaving school at ...say 23 (possible)
3. Your take home pay is 250k monthly when you left school (Oil company maybe)
4. Got a land (depending on the area)
5. Built and packed in

You see, this timeline (most likely wrong) is not the same for 99.9% of Nigerian youths.

My point - THIS THREAD IS UNNECESSARY because it is demoralizing to the hardworking naija youths.

There is NO RIPE AGE TO owning a house !!!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by pedrilo: 7:26am On Apr 21, 2016
Acidosis:
Building in Nigeria is overrated.

It is economically cheaper to rent a house in Nigeria.

The money you spend renting an apartment for 50 years in some areas in Lagos cannot buy a plot of land.

E.g. A 2 bedroom apartment cost N200,000 yearly.

Multiply N200,000 by 50 years
That gives us just N10,000,000.

In Akute, Ogun state, one could get a 2 bedroom apartment at N200,000 - N300,000 annually.

In the same Akute, a plot of land sells for an average of N10,000,000!

What sense does it make to build just because you want to become a Landlord?

Many Landlords who put their houses on rent do not recover their expenses until after about 50 years. Build when you have the means, and ready to settle down as a made man. Building has never helped anyone, except those who deal on real estate.
which kind rubbish talk be dis? in ur attempt to sound intelligent, u ended up revealing so much ignorance. . . tell me where in the world house rent will remain static or constant for 50 years! #olodo

23 Likes

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by femijohn21(m): 7:28am On Apr 21, 2016
At Lusada junction, not the other side of Ketu and Alapoti. 1plot of land with 2 uncompleted shops for 800,000. With title.
Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by pedrilo: 7:30am On Apr 21, 2016
i'm 28 and single. started building immediately i rounded up MSc, @roofing stage ATM.
Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by Elxandre(m): 7:30am On Apr 21, 2016
ghostofsparta:
NIgerians and their 'each and everyone should own a house mentality' else he/she is deemed 'a loser'. As rich as Jay-Z and Beyonce are, why do they keep residing in leased place.
I still think that's why Nigeria is a ghetto.

How are we going to have any totally beautiful city, when everyone builds mushroom structures just to bear the 'Landlord' title.
Lol.

5 Likes

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by RasheedUmar: 7:31am On Apr 21, 2016

1 Like

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by WebSurfer(m): 7:34am On Apr 21, 2016
onotukabiru:

Impressive Regardless of what the new guy building his house is into, I don't judge people but he still thought of owning his own home. Lots of these so called yahoo boys do not think that way so there must be something different about his reasoning.
so, on your thoughts , only yahoo boys can do that, well, i have been staying in my house for 2 years and six months immediately i graduated from the uni, meanwhile i'll be 25 soon.. if it must interest you to know, iv never been paid any dime from overseas, nor touched a gun my whole life. dont judge people easily that way

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by Elxandre(m): 7:34am On Apr 21, 2016
bbulldog:
if not for the help of fraud, internet fraud, or dasuki type of money.... A mid 20 guy building a house. Shame on Nigeria, yahoo business is now kinda eligible... God help us all
So a 25 year old guy can NEVER be boss financially in a legal way?

You people are just so myopic!

3 Likes

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by WebSurfer(m): 7:37am On Apr 21, 2016
Elxandre:

So a 25 year old guy can NEVER be boss financially in a legal way?

You people are just so myopic!
dont mind them, lazy ass people, they are the type who spent their time chasing women up and down, clubbing/partying then they should have used their time resourcefully .

4 Likes

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by WebSurfer(m): 7:42am On Apr 21, 2016
Acidosis:
It is financially stup!d to aspire to be a landlord just because you want to be one, especially for a young man.

A man who hasn't even found stability in his job has no business in building a house. Some tolled that line and they ended up in regret upon job transfer, etc.

What if you build a house in Mowe, and you get a better job in Ijanikin? Would you carry your house on your head and move to your new location? That's economic stup!dity.

Those who are near the retirement age should earnestly pursue owing a house. For a young man, there are many things you could put your money into. You could buy lands (let it appreciate), save your money and build when it is suitable.

Rather than build an economically stup!d liability at 22, why don't you build a business, a firm, get graduates off the street, and contribute to the economy of Nigeria, instead of a redundant Landlord association?
i pity you and the people who thinks like this, honestly had a friend who said all these nonsense you just said, but to cut the story short, today he is regretting those words. i ignored all of it and made it possible till completion.

Meanwhile, how many jobs have and businesses have you created?

5 Likes

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by queenfav(f): 7:42am On Apr 21, 2016
From the moment you start working, you should have savings that would eventually be used to get a plot of land.Little by little,yoi can start building,before 2 - 3 years,you should be able to move into your own house.Hopefully, by this year end,i would buy a plot at any upcoming area in my State for 300k at most.

2 Likes

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by tdayof(m): 7:46am On Apr 21, 2016
Age 18.
Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by Acidosis(m): 7:47am On Apr 21, 2016
pedrilo:
which kind rubbish talk be dis? in ur attempt to sound intelligent, u ended up revealing so much ignorance. . . tell me where in the world house rent will remain static or constant for 50 years! #olodo

Of course, house rent will not remain stagnant for 50years, you forgot the fact that your earnings will also not remain stagnant for 50 years smiley

Ignorance or Intelligence?

I don't know about others, but I paid the same rent for 4-5 years some time ago as a student. Some never paid above 10% increase in 10 years.

If your income depreciates, relocate. It's simple.

2 Likes

Re: What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? by Infinitikoncept(m): 7:48am On Apr 21, 2016
Guy its when you have a regular and stable cash flow in such a way that your expenses per month either frivolous or frugal spending allows you to save extra outside the emergency funds saving account. There are a lot of estate schemes that allow you pay monthly & within two to three years you already have your dream home

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chinonso Uba's Ezeacho Hotel, House, Shops Burnt In Imo, 2 Feared Killed / The Collection Sample Of Stone Coated Roofing Tile For Your Building / LASBCA Seals Distressed 4-storey Building At 17, Obadina Street, Lagos Island

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.