Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,116 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:08 AM

Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria - Music/Radio (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria (11140 Views)

For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! / Rock Music Is Satanic? / Any Fans Of Rock Music On Nairaland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by jadestar: 9:33am On Feb 23, 2009
I think the point is to worry less about be "authenticaly Nigerian" and worry more about just being a good solid rock act.

The world of music is bigger than Nigeria so why worry about getting signed in Nigeria. Here I sit halfway across the world in Seattle. I have produced more than one artist via the internet sending music back and forth. With rock why limit yourself? Example, Lacuna Coil is Italian, yet they are recording their album in Los Angeles. Likewise Jimi Hendrix was American and recorded in London. Its not about trying to reinvent everything that exists elsewhere in Nigeria but making use of what exists already in Nigeria and elsewhere to produce the best single or album and putting on a good show.

Most acts now make way more money on touring and merchandise than on album sales. You just need one or two chart hits.

If Gamine is good and if she works with the right producer there are labels in Europe and the US that would sign her act in a heartbeat and she will grace the pages of Kerrang and all the rock magazines because she is different.Kind of like how they all were into Japanese heavy metal when it first came out. Music industry is always looking for the new angle. Just being from Nigeria doing hard rock is a new angle.

And big in the US and Europe = Big in Nigeria especially since she would be Nigerian.

People are always going to compare you to someone else. That doesn't mean you're not original.

Its just what people do in order to describe an artist.

I've been told I sound like Shania Twain, and the girl from Flyleaf but I don't sound like either really nor do I try to. If you get told you sound like more than one person then you're original for if you were not then you'd keep being compared to the same person.

Also, being original is not something you try to be, you just are. It's Zen. It's not something you should think or worry about. Gamine would be original just by being a platinum selling rock vocalist from Nigeria  grin

Copying others takes thought. Originality takes intuition.

I've heard a lot of "original" stuff that sounds like crap because people were trying too hard not to sound like someone else.  That's just as bad as copying.

Yes, be yourself, but all artists have influences. Some show theirs in their work more than others.
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 6:57pm On Feb 25, 2009
True words Jade,

i dont have AOL though. . .

Do you have a yahoo?
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by jadestar: 12:59am On Feb 26, 2009
I do have yahoo.

I am jadekingston on Yahoo.
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 7:24pm On Feb 27, 2009
OK.

I tried to get you on yahoo again, what happened?

I couldnt get the first one of them.

On the track, i like it. . .still analyzing tho.

On instruments, i really love having the drums distinct or starting out with them. . .

as much as i like the guitar and synth, working them around the Drum works best for me.

i will try to list examples here, but you should get what i mean.
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by YEMINEM(m): 6:45am On Feb 28, 2009
seems jadestar wanna teamup with gamine,

wish u gals best of luck

hummm, thought 1 of u myt knw, what's d name of that female in Coal Chamber

Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by jadestar: 6:54am On Feb 28, 2009
Well there was bass player, Rayna Foss who was replaced by Nadja Peulen when she got married. Could be either.
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by boyplu: 8:17pm On Mar 09, 2009
Hey Gamine, i'm a Nigerian rock artist, i play acoustic guitars and bass,my music is on the side of John mayer, matt nathanson, and those kinda guys, but my biggest influences have ben Chris Okotie and Tracy chapman may be u might wanna check out my music on my facebook artist page, its http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ese-Peters/7385201178 .my email is boyplu@yahoo.com. Rock on.
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by boyplu: 8:18pm On Mar 09, 2009
Hey Gamine, i'm a Nigerian rock artist, i play acoustic guitars and bass,my music is on the side of John mayer, matt nathanson, and those kinda guys, but my biggest influences have ben Chris Okotie and Tracy chapman may be u might wanna check out my music on my facebook artist page, its http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ese-Peters/7385201178  .my email is boyplu@yahoo.com. Rock on.
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by jadestar: 9:15pm On Mar 09, 2009
Do you consider John Mayer and Tracy Chapman rock in Nigeria? shocked
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by boyplu: 9:33pm On Mar 09, 2009
Jadestar, i don't really get what u mean by Rock in Nigeria, but yes Tracy and John's music styles can be classified as rock music. John mayer's latest sound has become bluesy, but even BB king is considered a Rock legend. And you can't but mention Tracy chapman when talking about women of rock and roll. Check out my music will you, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ese-Peters/7385201178, Thanks,
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by jadestar: 8:40pm On Mar 10, 2009
Blues is blue not rock and I have hear Mayer's latest. It's bluesy but not really blues. No one really into blues would call it that here in the US.

Tracy Chapman and John Mayer are considered singer-songwriter indie-pop not rock. That's why I asked. I think there may be a different definition of rock in Nigeria. Saying Tracy Chapman or John Mayer are rock is like saying Celine Dion is rock,
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by Gaminechic: 8:51pm On Mar 10, 2009
LOL

@Boyplu, you sure have a nice voice o
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by boyplu: 9:00pm On Mar 10, 2009
U do have a point, but u should realize that Rock has many sides, imagine coldplay winning best rock album for Viva La Vida at the last grammy awards,imagine, they beat the raconteurs, even Metallica. Coldplay's sound can't really be described as rock, Chris martin even said it when he accepted the award. John Mayer won best solo rock vocal performance for his song gravity.Rock music doesnt have a different definition in Nigeria, people just don't have enough info about rock music cos its not that big here. Thank you Gaminechic.
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by efeski(m): 6:57am On Mar 11, 2009
hello 9ja rock fans!
abt coldplay winnin d awards it only goes 2 show dt their hardwork in d vivalavida album definitely didnt go unnoticed jus like lil weezy in rap category.
it's real sweet 2 meet 9ja pple who share my passion wt rock; it aint a singer bt i've got a vast collection of rock cds (wc i'm still adding to) from 'soad' (system of a down) to 'end of fashion', who i feel aint gettin their fair share of fame, but hey aint life a bitch
so lets keep it real & spread d gospel of rock & i'd like an avenue 2 get both old & new rock cds cus we're constrained in warri as regards purchasing rock music (dem nor de move market) so dey say @ enerhen junction
gamie goodluck wt ur music 2
peace y'all
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:20am On Mar 13, 2009
uhmmmmm.gamine and rock, dats funny
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by darksyd: 8:09pm On Mar 20, 2009
I thnk im home, lol, It sure is refreshn to see pple who share a joint passion of Rock music, Gamine or Gaminechic im sure u knw who i am, wink wink, ive heard one of her songs,she sure got talent, i wanna be in a band too,prblem is i cant sing or play any insstrument for shi.t, lol
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by Archetype(m): 12:22am On Jul 21, 2011
We cud do a rock collabo, if ur serious and all, wink
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by Bamaguje: 12:13pm On Jan 14, 2012
Im an enthusiast Rock fan, i just fell in love with and i listen to it more than Hip-hop itself.

Maybe i can help, i would love it if we can communicate and brainstorm some ideas, this may be the chance for us to be pioneers. We can break the boundaries.

Shomoski@yahoo.com
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by metal6085: 12:04pm On Jan 22, 2012
wats up fellas, just joined this blog, m a big time rock enthusiast, i like to listen heavy metal d most but i like soft/classical rock too, m currently living in portharcourt n m from india, recently i've started playing electric guitar(beginner), i can play metallica,nirvana,black sabbath,acdc,iron maiden,guns n roses,scorpions on guitar but need some more practice, i've played drums in my college rock band, m looking for guys to practice/learn different guitaring styles in heavy metal in port harcourt, \m/
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by emofine2(f): 1:22pm On Jan 22, 2012
I believe 9ja rock music could potentially be better than this current Hiplife trend.
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by MrResource(m): 8:00pm On Jan 22, 2012
metal6085:

wats up fellas, just joined this blog, m a big time rock enthusiast, i like to listen heavy metal d most but i like soft/classical rock too, m currently living in portharcourt n m from india, recently i've started playing electric guitar(beginner), i can play metallica,nirvana,black sabbath,acdc,iron maiden,guns n roses,scorpions on guitar but need some more practice, i've played drums in my college rock band, m looking for guys to practice/learn different guitaring styles in heavy metal in port harcourt, \m/

Way too cool . . .
Ride on jare smiley

Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by bamaguje1: 10:01am On Apr 05, 2012
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by mariox1(m): 3:31am On Apr 18, 2012
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:53pm On May 29, 2012
Guys, its god to know we are not alone. i dont have much to say right now but to encourage you to join us if truely your a rock fan and lets get the rock rolling. www.facebook.com/RockamaniaNg. Bye
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by mariox1(m): 6:45pm On May 29, 2012
Check My singles Out On Youtube...listen...like and Dislike ..also Feel free to dropp ur comments n criticism...Gracias
#youtube Suddenly(ft Emzo)- Mario Xtreme.wmv www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoT5j8LlBxc&sns=tw

#youtube Tortori Mi(NEW) - Mario Xtreme.wmv www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DceCm--RKY&sns=tw

God Bless You And Ur hustle .....

Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by glo3nity: 1:14pm On Aug 13, 2013
How can u sound like gamine when u aren't gamine? Be ur self! that's the key to SUCCESS but if u wish to sound like gamine then go ahead and imitate who u are not and become the shadow of urself! Sounding like a broken record. Remember, NO BEST RESULT COMES OUT OF IMITATION!! Be YourSelf!!

Dont Let Any One Pull You Down Cus That Might Just Be Your Root To SUCCESS...!!!
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by Rockstarufuoma(f): 5:32pm On Nov 16, 2013
Rock music future is very bright in Nigeria.Am a rock music artist .Watch my video on youtube "PRICELESS" by Ufuoma.P.Douglas....Proudly Nigerian.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Don Jazzy's The Solar Plexus Album Was A Flop Afterall! / New Video: Olu Maintain - Nawti [cameo Appearance By Natalie Nunn] / Japp "Hallelujah" Worship Song (Audio)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.