Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,158 members, 7,835,871 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

Five Reasons Not To Follow Relationship Advice - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Five Reasons Not To Follow Relationship Advice (731 Views)

8 Reasons Not To Marry A Perfectionist - Opinion / Reasons Not To Trust All Photos You See On The Internet(Amazing Photograhy) / Pre-wedding Photos Of Odinabarbie, Twitter User Who Charged N5K To Follow Back (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Reasons Not To Follow Relationship Advice by DesChyko: 6:49pm On Apr 22, 2016
Everyday we get to see 'Ten ways of this', 'Ten signs of that', 'Ten reasons for this', 'Ten steps to that'. Well, a relationship that has to apply all that has to be a laboratory. The frequency at which these 'rules and regulations' pop up will get you thinking relationships are like Windows PCs: Just press 'Ctrl + S' and it'll be saved.
Enough said. I'll be sharing with you, reasons not to really take any of these creative writings seriously;and this time, they aren't up to TEN!

1. The person advising you doesn't know you all through. You can be told all sorts of consequences that may arise from doing this or doing that, but hey, there's always the chance that you'll strike gold with a 'don't' or you'll really hit the bottom hard with a 'do'. You're the best adviser to yourself. That the solution worked for him/her isn't a guarantee that it'll work on your partner in an exact manner, or that the result will please you in a similar proportion.

2. Solving your relationship problems yourself personally develops you as a self-dependent person. But relying on others to do that for you decreases your dependence on your intuition to wade through such issues. The result is, once you have problem, you begin to look outside instead of inside (the origin). Then, you may resort to silence followed by SOS phone calls to the 'relationship experts' or the good ol' 'google', instead of a simple 'I'm sorry' or 'F*ck off' as the case warrants and E.O.D.! End Of Discussion!

3. You know your choice of person and you have ambitions, challenges or queerness that attracts you to a person or to people. That is your choice (good old power of choice), meant for your own enjoyment all through your days. Trading this for some 'set of rule books' is the same as being a robot (do as I do). You may have your seriousness invested in one relationship; and your frivolity in another probably unattainable target. Better you enjoy your own relationship completely. So what if 'people will say'? W e can't expect goats to say it (although I suspect goats actually say, but we don't hear it. Ever seen it smile when you pass?) Go for whom you want and how you want it! (IT grin )

4. It corrupts your perception of people. This is due to the stereotyping that arises from believing it's the same thing everywhere. Unconsciously, we stereotype. But constantly doing that, even when we can afford not to, makes us myopic in reality that makes us unwilling to explore the alternative that things aren't always what we expect. Hence, we become pests to our partners and others in relationships simply because our opinions are quite annoying (and boring)... (and unwanted).. (and uhmm.. I'll fix this later).

5. Everything in life occurs in stages. Likewise your relationship. It could have ten stages, or a hundred stages, or a thousand stages. The advice may be good, but applying it at the wrong stage could (let's not say 'would') go BOOM and you'll be left looking like a fool. Now, how do we know the exact stage our relationships are in? The truth is that, while we know in our hearts (brain actually), we can't really describe it all to someone else. Now how can one be sure of the exact stage for which an advice is meant? No Way.. So, no need.

It's not such a bad thing to listen to advice. But it's a bad thing to go 'OH! THERE IT IS.. MY PRECIOUS SOLUTION! IF THIS DOESN'T WORK, THEN ITS OFFICIAL. MY PARTNER HAS A MENTAL PROBLEM'...(well, we know who has the problem, but let's not say). There's no such thing as perfect solution. There'll always be tiny (hopefully insignificant) cracks if you look well enough. So, when next we happen upon a relationship advice, here's what to do:
(i) Read it all up.
(ii) Write it down on a neat sheet of paper.
(iii) Take a deep breath.
(iv) Make a paper boat with it.
(v) Sail it to China.

This post is a relationship advice which tells you not to listen to relationship advice. If you can carry out the above five steps on it (you can adjust the last two steps a bit; maybe just squeeze it nicely and shove it up your rival's as$ wink ), you're well on your way to building a relationship you want.

Cc: Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Not To Follow Relationship Advice by Lovelynature(m): 6:50pm On Apr 22, 2016
Re: Five Reasons Not To Follow Relationship Advice by ricsman(m): 6:50pm On Apr 22, 2016
one man's food is another's man poison. case close. well done op
Re: Five Reasons Not To Follow Relationship Advice by funnynation(m): 6:51pm On Apr 22, 2016
nice one op
Re: Five Reasons Not To Follow Relationship Advice by Nobody: 6:58pm On Apr 22, 2016
So all my advice nor dey help since... Ah! cry

I just got heartbroken....
Re: Five Reasons Not To Follow Relationship Advice by Talkloaded: 7:10pm On Apr 22, 2016
slyIsaac:

grin grin
Re: Five Reasons Not To Follow Relationship Advice by DesChyko: 7:33pm On Apr 22, 2016
slyIsaac:

gringringrin

Ndo grin
Re: Five Reasons Not To Follow Relationship Advice by Nobody: 9:39pm On Apr 22, 2016
DesChyko:

gringringrin

Ndo grin
Dalu smiley
Re: Five Reasons Not To Follow Relationship Advice by Nobody: 12:07am On Apr 23, 2016
OP! You've spoken well. I believe congratulations is in order.
Re: Five Reasons Not To Follow Relationship Advice by DesChyko: 7:25am On Apr 23, 2016
MasterRahl:
OP! You've spoken well. I believe congratulations is in order.

Thank You, Brother.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Pictures To Show You How Amazing And Funny Kids Are / Judge This Husband And Wife Issue / Borrowing Money To Surprise Your Girl-Friend On Her Birthday (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.