Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,196 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:30 AM

Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar (32676 Views)

Solomon Adeola's Birthday Cake From Saraki, As Yayi Celebrates 47th Bithday / N300million Goes Missing From Saraki's Bedroom - Sahara Reporter / Justice Kafarati Withdraws From Saraki's Suit To Stop Trial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by BJ0SE(m): 11:47am On Apr 23, 2016
Jail him already, cos from what i see they have presumed him guilty before passing judgement.

2 Likes

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by omonnakoda: 11:47am On Apr 23, 2016
odikimi:

See also what the court should do when issue of jurisdiction comes up at any time; whether appeal or court of first instance.
It is no longer a recondite issue of law that, the issue of jurisdiction can be raised at any time and/or
stage by a party even on appeal at the Supreme Court for the first time. See NDIC vs. CBN
“Objection to the jurisdiction of Court can be taken at any time depending on (2002) 7 NWLR (Pt. 766) 272 at 294, para. H;296,paras B-E
what material are available.It could be taken in any of the following
situations :
a) on the basis of the statement of claim; or
b) on the basis of evidence received;
c) by motion supported by affidavit setting out the facts relied on;
d) on the face of Writ of Summons where appropriate as to the capacity in
which the action was brought, or against who the action was brought.
None of this is relevant to what I asked you. You are just showing off.
How did Umar descend into the case as you claimed? that was my question. The time for all this verbiage is at appeal if Umar finds against Saraki. The lower court or any court for that matter has the power to dismiss motions as it sees fit and it is left for the aggrieved to appeal.
Rather than sounding off IS THERE ANY LAWFUL ALTERNATIVE?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by odikimi: 11:47am On Apr 23, 2016
omonnakoda:
The judge dismissed the motion and that is the end of it.
Do not argue by distraction widening the discussion to irrelevancies
Give a citation for your JB v Isono as requested
Answer the question ,How did Umar descend into the case?
You show a schoolboy understanding of the term "precedent" The Isheno case was a 3:2 majority judgment and I do not see that case as a benchmark for procedural precedence AT ALL. The only precedents there are those relating to the substantive matter i.e false arrest,defamation and employment rights and not courtroom craft
Perhaps you are referring to Isheno and not Isono?
Anyway I see no relevance of that case here. This is a procedural matter and if Saraki feels aggrieved it is established that he must fist dance this dance and then take his grievances forward to appeal
You sound like a learned man, why the resort to insult?
If that is your trait, then I think should stop replying you. When I see a learned man insulting his learned friend because of discrepancy in arguement, I just let go.

1 Like

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by EzeCanada: 11:48am On Apr 23, 2016
To all lovers of peace, hypocrites, learned and unlearned fellows who had contributed to this post. Is it not obvious that the Saraki case is political and clearly about the following?

1. Supporters of one Nigeria against haters of one Nigeria
2. Lovers of Lord Tinubu vs haters of Tinubu
3. Tinubu faction of APC vs Atiku faction of APC
4. Bigoted South westerner’s vs Certain Nigerians with hatred for APC, Buhari, Tinubu and the party hierarchy (South westerners inclusive).
5. Innocent misinformed Nigerians (those who fall to news from gutter media) vs politically savvy ones
6. Haters of Injustice vs intelligent hypocrites and deceivers

Unfortunately there is no such thing as an issue based argument in our so called Nigeria. Everyone is protecting his/her ethnicity, religious or political interest – and rightly so

Regrettably as county that is mistakenly or inappropriately concocted majority of its citizens reason or argue in accordance to his/her ethnic, religious or political affiliation thereby twisting rules or adjusting "goal post" as he/she pleases so as to suit his/her interest.

1 Like

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by odikimi: 11:49am On Apr 23, 2016
omonnakoda:
None of this is relevant to what I asked you. You are just showing off.
How did Umar descend into the case as you claimed? that was my question. The time for all this verbiage is at appeal if Umar finds against Saraki. The lower court or any court for that matter has the power to dismiss motions as it sees fit and it is left for the aggrieved to appeal.
Rather than sounding off IS THERE ANY LAWFUL ALTERNATIVE?
So you were thought before the court dismiss the motion it shouldn't give the applicant right of audience? well, let me ignore your insults.
Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by omonnakoda: 11:49am On Apr 23, 2016
odikimi:

You sound like a learned man, why the resort to insult?
If that is your trait, then I think should stop replying you. When I see a learned man insulting his learned friend because of discrepancy in arguement, I just let go.
Insult where? I guess we have a different apprehension of the English Language. No insult is offered and I regret if you perceive any.That is unfortunate

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by omonnakoda: 11:51am On Apr 23, 2016
odikimi:

So you were thought before the court dismiss the motion it shouldn't give the applicant right of audience? well, let me ignore your insults.
The court is well within its powers to do so . Otherwise we could have frivolous motions ad infinitum.
Please answer the question. How did Umar descend into the case

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by hassan85(m): 11:54am On Apr 23, 2016
LMFashions:

Its not about u not supporting corrupt lawyers but u terming them all IPOB for daring to go against u all.

Or should I assume u just wanted to lose a nut in the head for a moment because what u posted has nothing to do with the OP.

Repent. This isn't about democracy, this is insanity and it portrays u as a tribal bigot except u want me to believe dat u actually are

InYourOpinion. I Dont give a damn statistics across the federation shows IPOds sees nothing good about Nigeria and are working seriously to see d country fail. so keep ur bigotry opinions to ur cliques I Dont care. for me i Dont support corruption in any form

1 Like

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by gretblue: 11:57am On Apr 23, 2016
Eminent thieves.

1 Like

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by Prince16: 12:03pm On Apr 23, 2016
omonnakoda:
The court is well within its powers to do so . Otherwise we could have frivolous motions ad infinitum.
please answer the question. How did Umar descend into the case

He's busted!
#reverse~psychologist

1 Like

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by odikimi: 12:04pm On Apr 23, 2016
omonnakoda:
go and watch the video and see how he disgraced himself. Listen to it well and see where Oluyede was asking "You want to commit me for contempt because I pray for fair hearing, because I am defending my client? because I want to move a motion?". The day before that faithful day, he intersected Paul Usoro when Wetker or what is the name, the EFCC star witness was being cross examined. He answered the question asked by the defence counsel on the difference between ATM and Debit Card. What do you call that Mr. Insult any lawyer that has a contrary view will yours. Waiting for more insult from you, I see you are a lover of abusive words like "school boy, show off etcetera.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by Analysiscorner: 12:06pm On Apr 23, 2016
odikimi:

pls sir, I think I hate the man Saraki more than you. You won't know what I am saying, but this is the reason I decided to be a lawyer. There is what is called presumption of innocence that is why, those BH people are referred to as suspects. It pains my heart that fair trial seems alien to u guys. I hate violation of fair hearing. It could happen to you one day when you have issue with rich man.
I concur, sir!
Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by omonnakoda: 12:09pm On Apr 23, 2016
odikimi:

go and watch the video and see how he disgraced himself. Listen to it well and see where Oluyede was asking "You want to commit me for contempt because I pray for fair hearing, because I am defending my client? because I want to move a motion?". The day before that fateful day, he intersected Paul Usoro when Wetker or what is the name, the EFCC see star witness was being cross examined. He answered the question asked by the defence counsel on the difference between ATM and Debit Card. What do you call that Mr. Insult any lawyer that has a contrary view will yours. Waiting for more insult from you, I see you are a lover of abusive words like "school boy, show off etcetera.
That is an interpretation. Different people seeing the same video will come out with different interpretations. Unless there is a disgrace machine that can tell us accurately that he disgraced himself and to what measure then we are merely wasting time.
Saraki has no lawful alternatives but first to see this process through and then take any grievances about procedure etc forward to appeal. That is the pragmatic way forward. I regret you are very sensitive and easily insulted even where none is intended. Native speakers of English perhaps understand the language differently from non native speakers.That is not easily remedied.........

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by Analysiscorner: 12:13pm On Apr 23, 2016
IamPatriotic:
A quick glance at the names of the "eminent lawyers" should tell one where they're coming from, men of dishonour and apostles of corruption camouflaging as statesmen to act as clogs in the wheel of progress of this government, it won't work, because the Buhari's has the support of the majority of Nigerians, so there's nothing the insignificant 5% and cohorts can do other than living with the fact.
And you are an apostles of integrity, abi? I could remember Nwabueze and fellow patriots asking former president Jonathan not to contest the 2015 general election.
Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by Analysiscorner: 12:18pm On Apr 23, 2016
omonnakoda:
That is an interpretation. Different people seeing the same video will come out with different interpretations. Unless there is a disgrace machine that can tell us accurately that he disgraced himself and to what measure then we are merely wasting time.
Saraki has no lawful alternatives but first to see this process through and then take any grievances about procedure etc forward to appeal. That is the pragmatic way forward. I regret you are very sensitive and easily insulted even where none is intended. Native speakers of English perhaps understand the language differently from non native speakers.That is not easily remedied.........
Dear Sir,
I respect your views. But I want you to know that the whole trial of Saraki is mere political. This administration is not yet readyto fight corruption. When It is ready, we will know. Nobody would be spared.
Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by omonnakoda: 12:19pm On Apr 23, 2016
Analysiscorner:

Dear Sir,
I respect your views. But I want you to know that the whole trial of Saraki is mere political. This administration is not yet readyto fight corruption. When It is ready, we will know. Nobody would be spared.
I respect your views as well.Peace

1 Like

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by pressplay411(m): 12:21pm On Apr 23, 2016
blackpanda:
And how much did saraki pay to these "eminent lawyers" for their "support"

Anuofias!

Saraki is jail bound whether he like it or yes grin

You're informed. They've bought the media so the headlines don't even move me anymore. The real news is in the court room.

2 Likes

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by Kennydoc(m): 12:21pm On Apr 23, 2016
IamPatriotic:

why did you not emboldened "cohorts" where the South south contigents belong and don't be deceived by the Yoruba names, those men are from Kwara and they're Saraki's stooges who would do anything for him , no matter how appalling and illogical.

Which cohorts are you talking about? I thought you guys argue that Edo people are Yorubas. Now, you're also telling me that the 2 Yoruba men there are Kwarans. What has it got to do with the fact that they are Yorubas and not Igbos? Are Kwarans among the 5%ers now? Even if they are, have you guys not been arguing that it's only Igbos that support Saraki?
My guy, you have not justification for your bigotry.
Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by maestroferddi: 12:36pm On Apr 23, 2016
blackpanda:

Anuofias!

Quit sounding like a stark illiterate.
Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by sammhi(m): 12:37pm On Apr 23, 2016
funlord:

Na you sabi! At least I'm not being invited every week by the 'cct and the efcc' like your hero!

#freedom..................

**corruptly sips gulder bought with stolen funds**
Oga, Saraki know no mi o.and I don't know him...I don't even like him or his PDP or APc tin but we must uphold rule of law so we may not fall victim one day
.see now Senate want to amend the EFCC law as they are caught in it but this was the position of the human rights long time ago during OBJ era and no one paid attention because they were not affected..
I hate corruption and I try as much to avoid it..I have worked in a place where I stood against corruption and it led to my exit but I was happy that I stood for what is right and later recalled by the MD when he saw his business nose diving after my exit..so I do not support corruption but corruption must not be limited to stealing of public funds alone .or of bribe taking ...corruption is also when you persecute someone or skip processes just to nail your enemy..
see as the CG of prison convoy dealt with lawmaker inside the NASS complex because the security agencies are used to being lawless.. now that it affect them they have summoned the CG..what if na poor man..nothing will happen ..
so my point is if Saraki won't get fair hearing , then no need wasting time in the court, just jail him or shoot him dead now but if you are taking him to court then follow the process..
BH has caused untold havoc but still when caught they are given fair hearing ..kabiru Sokoto is even suing the FG ..yet that is how the law is..unfortunately...
let's abide by it..we will get it there it is faster if we all abide by the law
Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by ideylaff: 12:38pm On Apr 23, 2016
searchng4love:

you're a certified basket case... you don't just come to nairaland maligning people's reputation anyhow... lalasticlala/seun please note the infractions.

So you see Justice Belgore as upright and a just person.

This is not the form to speak and open up things.

These lot called Eninent Judges are nothing but a stain and aberration to the legal world.

Hmmmm Justice Belgore upright hmmmmm. Lol

Let's keep it quiet for now sha

1 Like

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by ideylaff: 12:45pm On Apr 23, 2016
mu2sa2:
But Belgore, besides coming from Saraki's hometown, is known to be a man of dubious integrity. This is a man that was publicly cited by Kutigi (then the chief justice of nigeria) of collecting money from politicians and trying to bribe election tribunal judges. The man is so corrupt no one should be surprised to hear that he collected his "share" of the billions Saraki is throwing about. There's no way a rotten fellow like that will do anything for anyone without being paid first or getting something in return. If you doubt this, ask any woman Belgore "helped" to get a job and you will hear stories.

U have spoken well. They have no hidden place .

Belgore will feed himself to Lions just for money and hope to escape the lions den
Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by brojoshua: 12:46pm On Apr 23, 2016
Eminent but corrupt lawyers who do not know nor fear God, and who not know nor care about true justice in their country.

1 Like

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by emi14: 1:01pm On Apr 23, 2016
hassan85:
Check all of them concurring all IPOD lawyers. when PMB said judiciary was his problem they said he cant work well in democracy. Here is another prove of views from educated illiterates. Well its all a fruitile effort.

The topic here is about fair hearing and sound judgment . Your myopic tribalistic mindedness undermines senses of truth given to you by God and nature. You think your better than legal giants like Justice Salisu Alfa, Justice George Oguntade, Olaleken OJo whom in your judgment are IPOD. You are equally bias as umar
Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by Teenaira: 1:19pm On Apr 23, 2016
blackpanda:

Anuofias!

For me I think Nigeria as a country has started winning. It is now on record that you could be challenged for a supposed wrong doing even if you are the Senate president. It is indeed a case of real PRECEDENCE. it is evident that there are some mix-up in handling the case but at least , it is a step in the right direction. Even though I am not too sure we can have a single person amongst our political office holder as at now who will not be guilty of same practice. It has been more of the rule rather than an exception. CONGRATULATIONS Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by CioAngels(f): 1:46pm On Apr 23, 2016
The stolen billions is now finding its way into the hands of our so called imminient lawyers suddenly. I wonder where they have been since the case started?. Tell me, which amongst them is a saint. Collecting bribe/stolen money from saraki will not save him.

1 Like

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by BERNIMOORE: 1:57pm On Apr 23, 2016
Dont muddle things up here(bolded below) i need clarification
omonnakoda:
Bolded above are you saying that ''it is in the Tribuna/court's power'' to Deny a legal practitional ''an Audience on hearing an Application'' or ''its the presiding judge/Chairman's power'' to deny ''Audience on hearing an application'' please be
1)precise
2)post the relevant sections that you relied on here that states that the presiding judge/Chairman's'' has the power to deny a legal practitional ''Audience on hearing an application''
Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by omonnakoda: 2:05pm On Apr 23, 2016
BERNIMOORE:
Dont muddle things up here(bolded below) i need clarification
Bolded above are you saying that ''it is in the Tribuna/court's power'' to Deny a legal practitional ''an Audience on hearing an Application'' or ''its the presiding judge/Chairman's power'' to deny ''Audience on hearing an application'' please be
1)precise
2)post the relevant sections that you relied on here that states that the presiding judge/Chairman's'' has the power to deny a legal practitional ''Audience on hearing a application''
I am saying the court has has ruled and Saraki can appeal. My opinion just like yours is totally irrelevant. If the law was so clear there would be no need for courts. The procedure is to finish at the lower court and then seek redress later
The judge DISMISSED the motion whether rightly or wrongly that is for Only a higher court to pronounce

1 Like

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by odikimi: 2:29pm On Apr 23, 2016
omonnakoda:
I am saying the court has has ruled and Saraki can appeal. My opinion just like yours is totally irrelevant. If the law was so clear there would be no need for courts. The procedure is to finish at the lower court and then seek redress later
The judge DISMISSED the motion whether rightly or wrongly that is for Only a higher court to pronounce
This is where I think you are being emotional or misled, the judge never dismissed the motion rather he refused to hear the motion. Please you can do yourself gr8 service by watching the video. It is the judge's right to dismiss just as the lawyer's right to be heard. Umar refused to hear the motion.
It means you weren't following up my argument all these while. Umar never allowed him to move the motion. It is one thing to hear and another to dismiss the application. How can you dismiss application you never heard of? Please educate me on this. I mean how a judge can dismiss application without hearing same and you call that fair hearing.
Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by omonnakoda: 2:32pm On Apr 23, 2016
odikimi:

This is where I think you are being emotional or misled, the judge never dismissed the motion rather he refused to hear the motion. Please you can do yourself gr8 service by watching the video. It is the judge's right to dismiss just as the lawyer's right to be heard. Umar refused to hear the motion.
And how am I being emotional.precisely what emotion am I expressing before you start whining again that you are being insulted. Whether I watch the video is irrelevant. What is the way forward now. The case continues and then Saraki can appeal that is the way forward

1 Like

Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by odikimi: 2:39pm On Apr 23, 2016
omonnakoda:
And how am I being emotional.precisely what emotion am I expressing before you start whining again that you are being insulted. Whether I watch the video is irrelevant. What is the way forward now. The case continues and then Saraki can appeal that is the way forward
If I am Saraki's counsel, I will proceed to the Court of Appeal with immediate effect i.e appeal against the judge's decision not to take interlocutary applications within the next 14days. You have not watched the video and you defending Umar.
Umar was reminded by Oluyede that the court is duty bound to hear his motion but the overzealous Chairman denied him of his right of audience which is explicit under the rules of Professional conduct.
This was same reason Selekeowei SAN (Orubebe's lawyer) shouted at the 2nd member of the panel.
Re: Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar by omonnakoda: 2:44pm On Apr 23, 2016
odikimi:

If I am Saraki's counsel, I will proceed to the Court of Appeal with immediate effect i.e appeal against the judge's decision not to take interlocutary applications within the next 14days. You have not watched the video and you defending Umar.
Umar was reminded by Oluyede that the court is duty bound to hear his motion but the overzealous Chairman denied him of his right of audience which is explicit under the rules of Professional conduct.
This was same reason Selekeowei SAN (Orubebe's lawyer) shouted at the 2nd member of the panel.
Defending? You seem to have serious problems with the English language. How am I defending him? Yes Saraki is well within his rights to go to higher courts. I have no problem with that. The court is not bound to do anything because counsel says so. The decision of the court is final and the only redress is higher courts

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Giadom: A Fresh Primary Will Be Conducted In Edo / Abdulrazaq, Saraki’s Supporters Clash At Eid Ground / PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.