Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,187 members, 7,818,601 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:38 PM

BREAKING: Saraki Moves To Halt His Trial Today Again - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BREAKING: Saraki Moves To Halt His Trial Today Again (994 Views)

Details Of Nnamdi Kanu's Secret Trial Today / Saraki Moves To Halt His Trial Today Again As Court Of Appeal Issues Hearing Not / Let Senate Sit While Saraki Faces His Trial – CCT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BREAKING: Saraki Moves To Halt His Trial Today Again by simongonner: 8:08am On Apr 25, 2016
In a controversial and surprising move, the
Abuja Division of the Court of Appeal has
issued a hearing notice regarding a
jurisdiction case filed by lawyers representing
embattled Senate President, Bukola Saraki. A
judicial source told SaharaReporters that the
Court of Appeal issued the notice late Friday,
a move the source described as not only
surprising but suspicious.
Mr. Saraki’s lawyers want the Court of Appeal
to halt his trial now going on at the Code of
Conduct Tribunal (CCT) before Justice Danladi
Umar. The senator’s huge legal team,
comprising 90 lawyers, has argued that is
contending that the tribunal lacks the
jurisdiction to try their client for false
declaration of assets and corrupt enrichment.
Speaking to SaharaReporters this evening, a
senior lawyer based in Abuja stated that it
was untoward for the Court of Appeal to issue
the notice of hearing on the matter of the
CCT’s jurisdiction. “The prayers of Mr. Saraki's
legal team are not different from the ones
considered and resolved by the Supreme Court
this year. As the country’s apex court, the
ruling of the Supreme Court on the matter of
jurisdiction is and should be the last word.
And the court cleared the way for the tribunal
to commence trial of Dr. Saraki,” he said.
If the Court of Appeal grants a stay of the
trial tomorrow, Mr. Saraki's trial would not
resume on Wednesday as planned. Our judicial
source alleged that the senator’s plot could be
to keep his case in the Court of Appeal for
several months. “If he succeeds, then the
Federal Government will not be able to
continue his trial or to get to the Supreme
Court,” he stated.
In a related development, a source at the
Economic and Financial Crimes Commission
(EFCC) said the agency was trailing the
movement of more than $900,000 they believe
was being laundered by the Kwara State
government using a woman named Halima
Suleiman. The EFCC source said Ms. Suleiman
is an indigene of Jigawa State, but her mother
hails from Edo State.
The anti-corruption source disclosed that the
EFCC was interested in discovering both how
the funds were sourced and where they would
end up.
The Court of Appeal’s reopening of Mr.
Saraki’s contention that the CCT does not
have the jurisdiction to try him has raised
suspicions that the senator’s associates may
have reached some judges willing to help him
scuttle his trial. http://saharareporters.com/2016/04/25/saraki-moves-halt-his-trial-today-again-court-appeal-issues-hearing-notice-jurisdiction
Re: BREAKING: Saraki Moves To Halt His Trial Today Again by DIKEnaWAR: 8:13am On Apr 25, 2016
It is only a tree that does not run away or try to save itself, on sighting a man approach it with an axe to cut it down.

You cannot beat me and deny me the right to cry. I must cry and wail to show that you beat me and it pains me.

Shikinan!
Re: BREAKING: Saraki Moves To Halt His Trial Today Again by Nobody: 8:25am On Apr 25, 2016
the lawyer who filed that should be sanctioned and fined for abuse of court processes and wasting the court's time.

the supreme court has already ruled on that. what is this nonsense again.

why is Saraki afraid of justice if he is innocent?
Re: BREAKING: Saraki Moves To Halt His Trial Today Again by tsdarkside(m): 8:30am On Apr 25, 2016
woww..this saraki guy realy wonder me...

what the hell does he thnks he is doing..??..

this guy is extremly egoistic......bizarr....
Re: BREAKING: Saraki Moves To Halt His Trial Today Again by abbeyman1798: 8:32am On Apr 25, 2016
Saraki a 'Gunner'.

Re: BREAKING: Saraki Moves To Halt His Trial Today Again by LegalAnalyst(m): 9:29am On Apr 25, 2016
A candid advise was made to Saraki some days ago thus: " I want you to know that no matter what you do henceforth, the case against you will go on. The earlier you resign yourself to fate the better"

And Saraki in his response said: "My dear brother Dele, let me thank you most sincerely for your article last weekend, “My Candid Letter to Saraki.” I take everything you said".

Please who is fooling who?

Nevertheless, we shall see how court of Appeal will either depart, overrule or follow Supreme Court decision of February 5, 2016.

But let me say this; Saraki If truly you are innocent, face your trial. You will get justice at the end. But even If CCT convict you for political reasons, Supreme Court or Court of Appeal will eventually set you free.

*NaijaLegalAnalyst*
Re: BREAKING: Saraki Moves To Halt His Trial Today Again by Nobody: 9:41am On Apr 25, 2016
We are watching
Re: BREAKING: Saraki Moves To Halt His Trial Today Again by SamuelAnyawu(m): 10:00am On Apr 25, 2016
Just because the Senate refused Political interference from Tinubu and PMB they are dragging our Senate President up and down...

Did GEJ interfere with the election that brought PMB in?
Re: BREAKING: Saraki Moves To Halt His Trial Today Again by amaechi1: 10:01am On Apr 25, 2016
It is now obvious that Saraki has a skeleton he is hiding. I expect the appeal court to throw it out without delay. Except if appeal court is now greater than supreme court.

Enemy of the state.

What nonsense!
Re: BREAKING: Saraki Moves To Halt His Trial Today Again by amaechi1: 10:05am On Apr 25, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:
Just because the Senate refused Political interference from Tinubu and PMB they are dragging our Senate President up and down...

Did GEJ interfere with the election that brought PMB in?

Please, let be adult here. Someone has been alleged to have gone against the law, all he could put forward as his defense is religious bigotry. Some people like you still have morale ground to argue in his favour and you come later to complain about corruption.

What a pity.
Re: BREAKING: Saraki Moves To Halt His Trial Today Again by olafum1(m): 10:08am On Apr 25, 2016
Again?? angry
Re: BREAKING: Saraki Moves To Halt His Trial Today Again by SamuelAnyawu(m): 10:23am On Apr 25, 2016
amaechi1:

Please, let be adult here. Someone has been alleged to have gone against the law, all he could put forward as his defense is religious bigotry. Some people like you still have morale ground to argue in his favour and you come later to complain about corruption.

What a pity.

Religious bigotry? How? Where in my post?

(1) (Reply)

Read What Fayose Said About Winning APC In 2018 / Questions For People Faulting Aba-boys Retaliation. / Benue people Voted Ortom, and we are not regretting.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.