Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,171 members, 7,860,195 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:39 AM

We Are Not Eating On May 1 Says Friends In Solidarity With Nigerian Workers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Are Not Eating On May 1 Says Friends In Solidarity With Nigerian Workers (696 Views)

Massive Crowd Shut Down Imo In Solidarity For Buhari And Rochas Okorocha. Photos / Bayo Omoboriowo Eating On Lagos Road (Photos) / Fayose Embarks On Indefinite Strike In Solidarity With Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Are Not Eating On May 1 Says Friends In Solidarity With Nigerian Workers by NigeriaToday: 4:03am On Apr 26, 2016
See these guys who said they aren't eating on May 1. Many like them on Facebook.

From - maydayhunger.org

In terms of advocating for other people’s rights, Nigerians are behind. In terms of standing up for our rights, we are also behind. Maybe we feel “Get up, Stand up” is only a song. But it is not. It is a wake up call. MayDayHunger is a wake up call.

That is why I decided to do the smallest I can towards this unheard of thing which seems to be spreading like a cancer in Nigeria – this thing of governors not paying salaries. It no longer matters whether it is 27 states or 37 states that owe.

MayDayHunger is just my own little way of calling for workers to be paid. Before workers die of hunger and have health and mental breakdowns, I want to say my bit in support of the workers. I hope it gets to the nation and the world.

[img]https://www.facebook.com/maydayhunger/photos/a.479261208945494.1073741828.479231405615141/479438575594424/?type=3[/img]

Is it only for me alone?

If you understand the way about which MayDayHunger is to operate, you can participate. You only need to skip a meal on May Day – May 1, 2016. That is all. No protests, rallies, or anything of such.

You can come to the homepage here and share what you would rather have ate on that morning, you can tell your other friends.

I really do not want workers to participate. This is for them. This is to show my/our solidarity for them. So if you are a worker and you have got some little food left, please eat. The journey ahead is still a long one.

Who am I?

I don’t want this to be about me, nor do I want any popularity or score from this. That is why I remain known to few and would love to keep it that way.

Why does it matter?

Millions of people are directly affected, and the whole nation is indirectly affected. Goods are not selling as much as they used to sell, schools are having more debts owed them by parents, even auto mechanics in most states are feeling the impact of non-payment of salaries.

I see the suffering of some kids who their parents have not been paid. I see the families which are gradually falling apart because of financial strains. I see it all and wonder why everyone, including the NLC is silent.

Knowing how Nigeria works, I see this shameful thing is about to become the new thing in Nigeria, and it is about to become a standard. That is not right.

Will MayDayHunger work?

It is working already!

What MayDayHunger is not

This action does not involve the NLC in anyway
This action does not call for a protest
This action does not call for donations
This action is not for or against any political group.
Political parties are not allowed to participate

Re: We Are Not Eating On May 1 Says Friends In Solidarity With Nigerian Workers by chriskosherbal(m): 4:57am On Apr 26, 2016
May 1, workers day. It's well.
Re: We Are Not Eating On May 1 Says Friends In Solidarity With Nigerian Workers by SamuelAnyawu(m): 5:02am On Apr 26, 2016
Chai Nigerian workers cry cry cry cry cry

Rochas pay Imo workers their salaries. Just use a fraction of your travels to Northern Rich kids weddings.
Re: We Are Not Eating On May 1 Says Friends In Solidarity With Nigerian Workers by Flexherbal(m): 5:07am On Apr 26, 2016
Will this touch the heart of the leaders?
Re: We Are Not Eating On May 1 Says Friends In Solidarity With Nigerian Workers by NigeriaToday: 5:25am On Apr 26, 2016
Flexherbal:
Will this touch the heart of the leaders?

You've asked a major question. Unfortunately selfishness runs in the blood of an average Nigerian, especially the leaders, the 'rich', and the powerful.

Imagine the silence in every quarter about workers' salary. The consequences of this phase we have entered in Nigeria will be bad. Mark it.
Re: We Are Not Eating On May 1 Says Friends In Solidarity With Nigerian Workers by Aliyeous(m): 5:49am On Apr 26, 2016
chei buh my broda u sure say dis tn go work. rememba hw selfish our leaders are
Re: We Are Not Eating On May 1 Says Friends In Solidarity With Nigerian Workers by NigeriaToday: 6:07am On Apr 26, 2016
Aliyeous:
chei buh my broda u sure say dis tn go work. rememba hw selfish our leaders are

Well we can only do our part as Nigerians, we can only support these actions. Seems like people are joining them to do the hunger thing too.

As times go by selfish leaders will only have themselves to blame. The Arab spring revolution was started by ordinary issues and ordinary people.

Re: We Are Not Eating On May 1 Says Friends In Solidarity With Nigerian Workers by greatgod2012(f): 6:08am On Apr 26, 2016
As if our so-called leaders care.

Abeg, they only care about their pockets, not worker's welfare.
Re: We Are Not Eating On May 1 Says Friends In Solidarity With Nigerian Workers by Campaign: 12:24pm On Apr 26, 2016
As if there was no budget ±»~%^?

(1) (Reply)

double post. / Do You Reallly Think Buhari Will Do This......? / Ibe Kachikwu Speaks To Channels Tv On Removal Of Fuel Subsidy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.