Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,256 members, 7,953,957 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:47 AM

How To End A Marriage In Nigeria - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To End A Marriage In Nigeria (20956 Views)

Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? / The Little Things That Determine The Success Of A Marriage. / Things Never To Do When You End A Relationship. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by semid4lyfe(m): 10:00pm On Sep 15, 2010
Sagamite:

Divorce is irritating to God?

You know that?
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by omoba4real: 3:27pm On Nov 07, 2011
Read this inspiring story about marriage:

When I got home that night as my wife served dinner, I held her hand and said, I've got something to tell you. She sat down and ate quietly. Again I observed the hurt in her eyes.

Suddenly I didn't know how to open my mouth. But I had to let her know what I was thinking. I want a divorce. I raised the topic calmly.

She didn't seem to be annoyed by my words, instead she asked me softly, why?

I avoided her question. This made her angry. She threw away the chopsticks and shouted at me, you are not a man! That night, we didn't talk to each other. She was weeping. I knew she wanted to find out what had happened to our marriage. But I could hardly give her a satisfactory answer; she had lost my heart to Jane. I didn't love her anymore. I just pitied her!

With a deep sense of guilt, I drafted a divorce agreement which stated that she could own our house, our car, and 30% stake of my company.
She glanced at it and then tore it into pieces. The woman who had spent ten years of her life with me had become a stranger. I felt sorry for her wasted time, resources and energy but I could not take back what I had said for I loved Jane so dearly.
Finally she cried loudly in front of me, which was what I had expected to see. To me her cry was actually a kind of release. The idea of divorce which had obsessed me for several weeks seemed to be firmer and clearer now.

Read the rest of this story here http://soinspiringstories..com/2011/10/marriage.html
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by TheCounsel(f): 4:57pm On Aug 27, 2014
If the couple decide that they do not want to go to Court for a divorce proceedings and they have a child whom they intend to protect from messy court cases, they can go to either the High Court of their to obtain an order by an application for the grant of custody or go the the Family Court by way of Originating Motion to obtain a child care order or custody or financial contributory order in respect of the child or any of the spouses

Also note that both parents are entitled to the custody of the child which could be shared equally. The Court may also grant custody to any of the spouses but will consider their conducts,earning capacity or the age of the child
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by dbilz(m): 2:45am On Oct 04, 2014
Got a friend who became a victim of circumstance with a lady. They both went in2 registry barely 3months after they met. Now its all crashing cos d guy feel he got himself in2 a deep sheet cos d lady in question falls deeply out of d category of an ideal woman. 1. Unfaithfulness, not d kitchen type, diabolical, got no attitude, d lady decieved him of being a graduate of unical meanwhile she isnt, etc. They both went to d registry wuthout d consent of d their parent not to talk of even paying any dowry or traditional thn. Now d guy wants out , what shld he do? Jst asking on behalf of a friend.
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by bitcoinmilliona: 3:36pm On Dec 08, 2017
shocked
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by frozen70(f): 6:05am On Jun 03, 2018
aonom:
Hello Naira Landers,

I was just curious to know exactly how a man and woman who have gone through the two stages of marriage in Nigeria, Traditional and Church. But would like to mutually end the marriage without any issues coming up, such as custody of the children or child as the case maybe. I was having a discussion with a friend of mine and we were both curious to know exactly how this might end up in this present day and age in the Nigerian context. Also we would like to know who would gain the custody of their issue (child or children) especially if they are both financially stable. Please note that we are both not married yet and do not have any intension to divorce when we eventually do, IJN.

Kindly throw more light on this issue.

Thanks.
You guys are not married yet and you are thinking if how to end marriage without raising dust and who will have the custody of the children. That's a bad thinking for a deal you haven't gone into.
Marry then if it happens you sort your way out.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Feminists Agree They Won’t Change Their Surname To Their Husband's Name / Are You Sexualizing Your Children? / 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.