Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,842 members, 7,828,066 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:19 PM

Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? (43456 Views)

Poll: Does the New Testament require us to tithe?

Yes: 38% (28 votes)
No: 61% (44 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Says God Can Not Change Your Story (photo) / Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 11:03am On Oct 02, 2009
And despite all tonye-t's rants and skillfull panel beating of the scriptures he has not been able to show us a single shred of evidence that tithing was directed to new testament christians talkless of any biblical justification for changing it from produce to money and increasing the frequency from once in three years to a monthly/weekly scam.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Gentleme1: 11:42am On Oct 02, 2009
Ttalks and Kunleoshod you people are confused, i read somewhere you said me and Tonye-t are the same persons, its so obvious that you folks dont know what to argue about again.

And as for ttalks,

Thanks for putting your end to this topic, as it appears he has shown you guys simple and clear facts that titheing is still relevant

And as for Tonye-t,

I wish i was you sef grin grin grin, so that i may really beat people like ttalks and his colleagues in scriptural debates. Congrats to you salary increase, someone in my church even gave the same testimony two service weeks ago smiley smiley

And as for Kunleoshod,

Everyone knows who you are, you just rant, you never give up even when you know that you have nothing to say again. all you have been doing so far is to oppose peoples quote but cannot give one to butress your opinions. And may be the God i serve is beginning to pay you back for the woe you gave me. Sucker!!! undecided undecided undecided angry angry

And Boobyaf,

you are simply the best! thats all i have to say, like tonye and fyneguy wink wink
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 11:52am On Oct 02, 2009
@gentlemugun
Why don't you and other pro-tithing muguns on this forun address the several issues we have raised on this forum that clearly shows tithing is not directed to christians based on scriptural facts instead of resorting to desperate personal attacks to justify the scam your pastor who you worship is perpetuating.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by fyneguy: 12:02pm On Oct 02, 2009
grin Kunle

Because we realised you are spiritually dead and not of sound mind. tongue
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 12:11pm On Oct 02, 2009
@uglyguy
It is your pastor that is spiritually dead and also has a dead conscience, how else would explain someone who as built an empire based on false miracles and twisting the scriptures perpetually to make money. No God fearing man would try that.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Gentleme1: 12:23pm On Oct 02, 2009
fyneguy,

dont answer him grin grin, see why i think he is so SENSITIVE (behaves like a woman) grin ;Dand HALLUCINATED (delusioned) grin grin. pls dont answer him. thank God we are all writing behind our screen, lest if it were real life kUNLE for don turn am to fight (small pikin) grin grin grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by fyneguy: 12:57pm On Oct 02, 2009
lol Gentle me

I still love him sha. He's just a baby who can't chew a piece of meat grin

My concern, however, is that he has refused to grow up. sad
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 1:13pm On Oct 02, 2009
I understand that you are are finding it very hard to swallow the bitter pill that these "men of god" whom you have placed your faith in all these years are just common crooks who have been taking you for a ride. Well tough luck, i felt that bad as well when god revealed the truth about tithes to me from his word. The evidence is glaring and i can understand you being in denial but the truth cannot be hidden for ever, infact it is already out and to the glory of God several christians who have been teken for a ride for years by various con men parading as pastors whilst extorting 10% of their income from them have now been freed from the bondage and the money is now being better utilized in doing God's real work[charitable works] whilst giving relief to the down trodden as God directed. The truth is out and spreading like wild fire {thanx to the internet} very soon people would start challenging their pastors publicly on this tithes issue and they would be forced to publicly confess that it is an instituitionalized scam.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by fyneguy: 1:17pm On Oct 02, 2009
KunleOshob:

I understand that you are are finding it very hard to swallow the bitter pill that these "men of god" whom you have placed your faith in all these years are just common crooks who have been taking you for a ride. Well tough luck, i felt that bad as well when god revealed the truth about tithes to me from his word. The evidence is glaring and i can understand you being in denial but the truth cannot be hidden for ever, infact it is already out and to the glory of God several christians who have been teken for a ride for years by various con men parading as pastors whilst extorting 10% of their income from them have now been freed from the bondage and the money is now being better utilized in doing God's real work[charitable works] whilst giving relief to the down trodden as God directed. The truth is out and spreading like wild fire {thanx to the internet} very soon people would start challenging their pastors publicly on this tithes issue and they would be forced to publicly confess that it is an instituitionalized scam.

lol Kunle

And if it does not happen, you should start a new thread with the topic: Kunleoshob is a false Prophet grin

I think I agree with Tonye now that you are a clown.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 1:28pm On Oct 02, 2009
This thread is not about kunleoshob but the false, vain and failed attempt to justify tithing in christianity which the OP of this thread has failed embarrassingly to establish. Instead of admitting your fallacies you goons are now ganging up to fight a crusader like myself who is fighting for the truth. the truth would always prevail over lies and likewise light over darkness. I challenge you guys to go back and address the several fallacies and inconsistencies in mordern day tithing that we have raised on this thread, if not you guys should fold your tails in shame and stop arrogant display of stupidity on this forum. I also challenge anyone of you guys to explain deut 14:22-29 and give me just one single sensible reason why tithes is no longer practised that way, that is if we have to practise it at all. Bunch of deluded children cool
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Gentleme1: 1:45pm On Oct 02, 2009
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ttalks(m): 3:06pm On Oct 02, 2009
Gentle me:

Ttalks and Kunleoshod you people are confused, i read somewhere you said me and Tonye-t are the same persons, its so obvious that you folks dont know what to argue about again.

And as for ttalks,

Thanks for putting your end to this topic, as it appears he has shown you guys simple and clear facts that titheing is still relevant

Gentle me:

even you mate ttalks and zzikky have backed out by publicly accepting it in their comments.

Gentle me or whoever u might really be, please try to read and understand when involved in threads like these.

How could u deduce so horribly and poorly that I accepted Tonye's arguments?
Can't you read?

I came to a realization that all the points I had made and was still making weren't making any difference in the ideologies of Tonye and other pro tithers.
So I decided to save my energy; since I had done quite a reasonable lot in that regard, and pulled out of the debate and asked him (Tonye) to "live his life".
I can't force him to accept my views.

There are people who have been granted to see the issues of Christianity in the same vein that I am and still am; and there are people who aren't. Clearly, it is obvious what group Tonye falls into.

I have said all that I need to say and I have exited the debate.
It is foolish and stupid to deduce that such an action is acceptance of Tonye's belief's or arguments.

If u have been active on nairaland for a while, u'll notice that it was the same position i adopted after debating for a very long while with someone who also had a fixed and adamant view on tithes in another thread on tithes which has been dormant for a very long while now.

This is the second(maybe third) time that u have shown poor deduction skills as regards my posts. You need to sharpen up those skills so they wouldn't let u down in the near future.

"stay safe." wink
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by JeSoul(f): 3:15pm On Oct 02, 2009
ttalks, well spoken. I gave up on 'debating' with Tonye a while ago as it was apparent after a few posts it would be an exercise in futility.

Pro-tithers who insist that it is still a law, continue to pedal your beliefs - just know that you will stand before the great judge and give account on that day. And others who believe otherwise we will also stand and explain ourselves too. All I know is that "it is for freedom that we have been set free, from a vain, empty ritualistic method of following rules and regulations, to a new system that is based on solely on faith, not works." "So let no one impose on you traditions and laws, thereby enslaving you all over again".
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 5:06pm On Oct 02, 2009
hmmm you peeps gat me shaking my head, what has really happened here?

gooshhh KunleOshod, Fyneguy , Gentle me this is really not how it ought to be.

@Ttalks my brother,

Men at least i have come up with evidences since the inception of the topic and even showed u explicitly from few portions of the bible and you rightly agreed. If you have accepted it that way, its ok. but pls show me where i have twisted the scriptures, show me where i have imposed titheing, show me where i have called it a law under moses.

@Jesoul,

My sister the problem i have with you is that you seem to liberal , at first i could really take ur writings not until i saw your degree of rationality here. if i can still remember in your first post here you used a scripture in romans that talked about the freedom or rather options of eating meat and observing seasons to teach tithe, that it should be an optional thing.

Again you said, your best teaching about giving is when you do so to your niece or some beggar and you gat me thinking, what has FREEWILL OFFDERING got to do with an ancestral standard

well like you rightly said, if you choose to continue without giving your tithe, ok o, my sister you are free, but until then i will rather choose to be likened as the first sonin the prodigal son parable! Happy weekend my sister

@ Kunleoshod,

Whatever has come into you, believe me i aint no party with it ok?, is you choose to be the last man standing to your opinion, then fair enough, put abusing and calling peeps names aint the best way to butress or pass your information. As for my increase, beleive me, it was true. I gat a raise and recently i chose to give a double, guess what, my mgt. are thinking of transferring me to head a branch. now dont you think with all this things working out for me when i tithe and offer to God i will stop? no way my brother. you can keep running away from titheing for all i care, but if i have been able to explain it to just one person who accepts then i have doen my mission work. God bless you brother. c u next week

@ gentle Me,

Brother u must take it easy, dont go about abusing peeps here, you could be abusing a senior fellow unknowingly, and dat in itself aint right. Be good ok?

God bless ya all. smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ttalks(m): 5:49pm On Oct 02, 2009
Tonye-t:

@Ttalks my brother,

Men at least i have come up with evidences since the inception of the topic and even showed u explicitly from few portions of the bible and you rightly agreed. If you have accepted it that way, its ok. but pls show me where i have twisted the scriptures, show me where i have imposed titheing, show me where i have called it a law under moses.

Tonye,

I'm not sure what u mean by I "rightly agreed", but if it is to say that i agreed with ur point of view about tithes, that is false. the only time i agreed/or could agree with u is when u state a fact from the bible.

- As regards, showing u where u twisted the scripture, i don't think I can go through the whole thread to pick an example, but one sure situation or scenario is when u tried to use 1 Corinthians 16:2 as a point to show the practice of tithes.

An honest look and study of that passage would show that there was nothing suggesting or indicating tithes. That passage only communicated the collection of offerings on a fixed day of a week/weekly basis for the saints in Jerusalem who had need.

I present it below in its context of use:

1Co 16:1-3
(1) Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
(2) Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.
(3) And when I come, whomsoever ye shall approve by your letters, them will I send to bring your liberality unto Jerusalem.

When u presented the verse, it was in isolation of the verse before and after it; thereby making it look like what u wanted it to convey.

Also, ur presentation and conclusion of Matthew 23:23 is not unbiased, because u did not do a proper analysis of it. looking at it on the surface, it would look like u did a good job of it, but failing to point out the obvious facts about that statement made therein makes ur point not totally honest.

I didn't say all this to go into a fresh analysis of the points I made above; i just did this since u requested that I should show u were or how u twisted scriptures.

- Again, u might have not imposed tithing, but making remarks which might look innocent but still convey the fact that u feel it is compulsory for the Christian faith is close to imposing.

- I never for once said u implied that tithing was a law of Moses; that was my argument and that of others because ur point about it not being a law is a very inconceivable one because although it originated before the law of moses, the law of Moses made it part of its requirements of service to God.
While the new covenant which is what we operate within does not impose it on us as a requirement for our service to God.

As i said before, all these which i have written above is in answer to ur last post to me; and not a fresh analysis of points all over again.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by JeSoul(f): 5:53pm On Oct 02, 2009
Tonye-t:

@Jesoul,

My sister the problem i have with you is that you seem to liberal , at first i could really take your writings not until i saw your degree of rationality here. if i can still remember in your first post here you used a scripture in romans that talked about the freedom or rather options of eating meat and observing seasons to teach tithe, that it should be an optional thing.

Again you said, your best teaching about giving is when you do so to your niece or some beggar and you gat me thinking, what has FREEWILL OFFDERING got to do with an ancestral standard

well like you rightly said, if you choose to continue without giving your tithe, ok o, my sister you are free, but until then i will rather choose to be likened as the first sonin the prodigal son parable! Happy weekend my sister

Tonye the problem is your perception of me as a "liberal christian", I am a bible christian. You picked only one part of the post where I talked about giving to the poor, family and friends in need or beggars etc and stretched it to mean that is only how we should give - when the simple point I was making is that giving should'nt have any  boundaries or barriers.

In addition I wrote a detailed post much earlier on this thread explaining my view and how it is biblical but you must have missed it. Please see below and you're welcome to comment and show where I am out of line biblically. Thank you.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-307798.64.html#msg4391233

I didn't want to comment on this over-flogged horse that has been debated uncountable times here on NL but I feel like there is scriptural dishonesty going on this thread. and Tonye I saw this thread and immediately thought to leave you to your convictions but since you've determined to project your own personal convictions on this matter of tithing unto other christians and declare that the standard for them as well - I decided to respond.

I had remarked to you once that it is possible for 2 christians to believe differently about something and both be right. Romans 14. And Paul's conclusion was that each man should be fully convinced in the faith about their choice. Which is why I am not sure why this matter is still being 'debated'.

Twist and misquote the scriptures all you want - There is no new testament directive for christians to tithe - infact there is no new testament directive for us to do anything outside of faith! there are no requirements, no laws, no rituals. There are a few portions that you can read & apply to mean the tithe is still relevant - to you - but another can also quote 2Cor 9:7 which says clearly "Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver"  - and I despise it when people only quote the last portion that says God loves a cheerful giver without quoting the first part that says "Each man should decide in his heart what to give"

Now is it good to tithe by faith? Yes.
Is it good to not tithe by faith? Yes.
Is it good to tithe as if you were following a law and trying to fufill a requirement? No.
Is it a requirement for NT Christians? No.
Is it a choice based solely on faith? Yes.
Are those who tithe better, more spiritual than those who don't? No.
Are those who don't tithe necessarily stingy and greedy? big fat NO.

The bible does teach that if you give it will come back to you, and you will be blessed - but this is seperate from the issue of tithing. It is also sad and reprehensible pro-tithers label non-tithers as stingy and greedy and unwilling to give a "mere 10%" to God. This is condescending and reeks of spiritual superiority complex. Just because a christian doesn't tithe doesn't mean they don't give generously and in many cases even more than those who beat their chest as accomplished tithers.

No I don't tithe, but I give regularly and whenever I am able to, sometimes small, sometimes large. Not just to my local church, but to family, friends who may be in need, to the stranger, to the homeless man, to my 6 yr old neighbor, to the local charity etc. Does the church need finances to forward the gospel of Christ? absolutely! do churches need finances to run/operate? of course, and the staff must be taken care of by the congregation and Christians should give as much and as frequently as they can. But one who's persuaded to tithe must and should not look down on the one who doesn't.  
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ttalks(m): 9:45pm On Oct 05, 2009
These are some questions those who still feel the need to keep the law should ask themselves (I got them from a site I was going through):

Ask yourself: Are those "circumcised in heart" really breaking God's Commandment if they are not "circumcised in flesh?" I don't think so and neither do the Scriptures.

Are present day Gentile Believers really breaking God's command to sacrifice animals to atone for their sins if they rather spiritually accept the Sacrifice of Jesus Christ Himself on the cross? I don't think so, and neither do the Scriptures.

Are Believers today breaking the tithing law if they rather "present themselves a living sacrifice," and always are willing to "lay in store as God has prospered them" (I Cor. 16:2) their money, time and talents to serve others? I don't think so, and neither do the Scriptures.

Are Believers today breaking the Sabbath day command if they do not set aside the seventh day to physically rest, but rather have set aside all days as a spiritual rest (Heb. 4)? I don't think so, and neither do the Scriptures

Nice and thoughtful questions. grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 9:19am On Oct 06, 2009
@gentleidiot
Lets even assume becos of your deluded peanut sized brain that there are two types of tithes in the bible, is there any instruction in the bible to practise abraham's tithes to the Jews talkless of believeres who were nevere asked to tithe any type of tithes. It is pure 419 for any preacher to askanyone to tithe based on Abraham's one of example that he did of his on volition and not under any instruction from God. There is also no instruction to his descendants to repeat this his one off practise. Also the how does the tithe of cummin, mint and herbs[agricultural produce of the land] that Jesus spoke about to the pharisees have any semblance with the criminalized version of tithes from money or income which crooks preach today. Unto whose authority did they twist pruduce to mean money? Even the pharisses did not tithe of their money and they were the most "holy" in those days. That is apart from the fact that tithing is not applicable to christians as we have proven several times on this forum. I am still waiting for the "inspired" teacher that would come and twist why tithes as explained and practised in deut 14:22-29 was discontnued for our modern day version that as no semblance with the defunct biblical version.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Zikkyy(m): 11:34am On Oct 06, 2009
@KunleOshob
I very much believe that most tithe payers agree that there is something wrong with the modern requirement on tithing but find it difficult to accept this cos it will really make a mess of their belief system. This is especially true for those Christians that believe their salvation can only be obtained through their MOG (i.e. they will find heaven only by adhering to the bidding of their MOG). The life of a regular tithe payer will never be the same if he/she stops paying tithe, as those difficulties of life usually experienced on a daily basis and discounted will now be taken seriously (i.e. a consequence of not remitting the outstanding tithe to the church). There is that possibility of the tither losing his/her sanity as a result of this.

Like i will always say you can’t blame people for putting themselves in this situation, it usually results from desperation (the need to get above the poverty line, get a good job, get a husband/wife e.t.c), frustration (after all attempts), uncertainty (need to maintain/improve upon current business/job status), e.t.c. The ability to reason has been taken away from most Christians and replace with a remote controlled brain box (and of course the MOG keeps the remote control!!  grin grin grin).  It takes people with a very strong will, a belief in their direct relationship with God and ability to reason for themselves (I agree guidance from more knowledgeable people is needed once in a while) to get out of this bondage. Most people in this situation don’t have it.

I would suggest you direct your fight on tithe at the MOGs, that’s the only way you can free most tithe payers from the bondage of modern day form of tithing. Most regular tithers will stop tithing if the order came from their MOG (of course i am aware of that very small population of tithers that tithe out of their own free-will).
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Oct 06, 2009
I see so words of the gods of men (sorry Men of God )now takes precedence over the word of God.

I suspect Oladeegbu is one of them with the desperation with which he twists the scriptures to justify this heretical

practice. I sincerely beleive oladeegbu is benefitting from this heretical practice
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:16pm On Oct 07, 2009
chukwudi44:

I see so words of the gods of men (sorry Men of God )now takes precedence over the word of God.
I suspect Oladeegbu is one of them with the desperation with which he twists the scriptures to justify this heretical
practice. I sincerely beleive oladeegbu is benefitting from this heretical practice

For your information, I am not a pastor and I still need the grace of God to pay my tithes faithfully. The benefit I get by paying my tithes cannot be denied as these are not only financial but physical and spiritual. I have come to find that according to God's accounting, 9 is more than 10. That is, I am better off without eating my 10% that belongs to God seeing that He owns all that I am and have. And I am even prepared to give to the work of the ministry as much as I am able to give willingly.

As for my church, we do not collect offering or tithes from the crowd that attend our revival or evangelical meetings , which run into millions on each occasions. The church funds the retreats, confrences and the gospel work through the faithful paying of tithes and offering of faithful stewards of Christ withing the church. You will be surprised that my pastor does not have a bank account and all the money that the Lord blesses him with he plunges it back into the work of God. And I can assure you that his riches in heaven is secured.

God will surely judge the charlatans that take advantage of unsuspecting worshippers but the fact that there are counterfeits does not negate the originals, Tithes and offerings are the best way to keep the work of God going, which Satan and his cohorts are attempting to stop. You must also realise that obedience is better than sacrifice, to be born again is better than paying your tithes and giving your offerings. The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to God.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Zikkyy(m): 3:58pm On Oct 07, 2009
@OLAADEGBU
I am happy to see that you give willingly, and i am happy to see your church does not "tax" excessively. There is joy in giving and it pleases the Almighty. I would be happier if you do extend your act of giving to the needy in the society to the best of your ability.

OLAADEGBU:

For your information, I am not a pastor and I still need the grace of God to pay my tithes faithfully.

The church funds the retreats, confrences and the gospel work through the faithful paying of tithes and offering of faithful stewards of Christ withing the church.

It would be nice if you can stop using the word "tithe" here as well, "free-will donation/offering" will be most appropriate. The use of the word "tithe" will always result in controversy as tithe is not meant for funding retreats, conferences and spreading the gospel. Its great seeing you support church activities and spreading the gospel with a token 10% of your earnings. If you can dedicate another 10% directly to support of the poor and downtrodden, there will be more rejoicing in Heaven. Thanks.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 4:18pm On Oct 07, 2009
@zikkyy
I think you have managed to put the problem in proper perspective these naïve "christians" have been so totally brain washed by their gods of men that they would never accept that they are fraudulent or fallible, it would actually take the direct intervention of the holy spirit to let them know they have been led astray. It still beats my imagination why one would rather follow his pastor's twisted teaching to tithe rather than christ's direct teachings to take care of the poor and show love to others.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:23pm On Oct 07, 2009
Zikkyy:

@OLAADEGBU
I am happy to see that you give willingly, and i am happy to see your church does not "tax" excessively. There is joy in giving and it pleases the Almighty. I would be happier if you do extend your act of giving to the needy in the society to the best of your ability.

We do not need to publicise the poor that is being fed or clothed for you to know that we do that. The many ministries that cater for these needs are doing a fine job without advertising it because our reward is not only on this earth but most importantly in heaven.

Zikkyy:

It would be nice if you can stop using the word "tithe" here as well, "free-will donation/offering" will be most appropriate. The use of the word "tithe" will always result in controversy as tithe is not meant for funding retreats, conferences and spreading the gospel. Its great seeing you support church activities and spreading the gospel with a token 10% of your earnings. If you can dedicate another 10% directly to support of the poor and downtrodden, there will be more rejoicing in Heaven. Thanks.

As much as you don't like hearing the word tithes, I am pleased to tell you that it was God's idea of taking care of his storehouse and there is nothing that Satan and his cohorts can do to stop it. Instead of fighting God's principle of giving and blocking funds for the work of God you will be better off staying on the Lord's side and giving to God not only your money but your heart, talent, skill, time and treasure.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:59pm On Oct 07, 2009
KunleOshob:

@zikkyy
I think you have managed to put the problem in proper perspective these naïve "christians" have been so totally brain washed by their gods of men that they would never accept that they are fraudulent or fallible, it would actually take the direct intervention of the holy spirit to let them know they have been led astray. It still beats my imagination why one would rather follow his pastor's twisted teaching to tithe rather than christ's direct teachings to take care of the poor and show love to others.

For this you know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor coveteous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.  Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things comes the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. -- Ephesians 5:5-6

A coveteous person transgresses the Tenth, First and Second Commandments.  When he loves material things more than he loves God, he is setting his affections on the gift, rather than the Giver.  What father wouldn't be grieved if his beloved child loved his toys more than the father who gave him the toys?  A chilid should love his father first and foremost.  He should love the giver more than the gift.  If you love God you will know that He is the Giver of your life and all that you have, paying 10% to Him is in appreciation of His Gift, He gave the greatest gift of all; He gave His only begotten Son to whosoever will believe.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Oct 07, 2009
As much as you don't like hearing the word tithes, I am pleased to tell you that it was God's idea of taking care of his storehouse and there is nothing that Satan and his cohorts can do to stop it. Instead of fighting God's principle of giving and blocking funds for the work of God you will be better off staying on the Lord's side and giving to God not only your money but your heart, talent, skill, time and treasure.

sorry there is no where God directed christians to pay tithes that was why Paul did not dmand it and had to fend for himself by building tenths.Is it not amazing that paul who operated without tithes did more works than thesee criminals who steal money from their pre programmed victims in the name of tithes

A coveteous person transgresses the Tenth, First and Second Commandments. When he loves material things more than he loves God, he is setting his affections on the gift, rather than the Giver. What father wouldn't be grieved if his beloved child loved his toys more than the father who gave him the toys? A chilid should love his father first and foremost. He should love the giver more than the gift. If you love God you will know that He is the Giver of your life and all that you have, paying 10% to Him is in appreciation of His Gift, He gave the greatest gift of all; He gave His only begotten Son to whosoever will believe

direct these your sermon to ur greedy pastors who twist the scriptures to fleece their equally greedy and ignorant congregatioins of their hard earned money.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 5:36pm On Oct 07, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

A coveteous person transgresses the Tenth, First and Second Commandments. When he loves material things more than he loves God, he is setting his affections on the gift, rather than the Giver. What father wouldn't be grieved if his beloved child loved his toys more than the father who gave him the toys? A chilid should love his father first and foremost. He should love the giver more than the gift. If you love God you will know that He is the Giver of your life and all that you have, paying 10% to Him is in appreciation of His Gift, He gave the greatest gift of all; He gave His only begotten Son to whosoever will believe.
The bible makes it crystal clear that you cannot give God money in acts 17:
24 “He is the God who made the world and everything in it. Since he is Lord of heaven and earth, he doesn’t live in man-made temples, 25 and human hands can’t serve his needs—for he has no needs. He himself gives life and breath to everything, and he satisfies every need.
That apart it is your criminally inspired preachers that are greedy of covetousness since it is them that twist scriptures to extort 10% of people's income from them tongue If your so called pastors truly loved God they would not be twisting his word for the sake of filthy lucre.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Zikkyy(m): 8:23pm On Oct 07, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

We do not need to publicise the poor that is being fed or clothed for you to know that we do that. The many ministries that cater for these needs are doing a fine job without advertising it because our reward is not only on this earth but most importantly in heaven.

I am a bit curious here. From your post above, it looks like you prefer the church to decide what to do with the money you have for God by dropping everything in the church offering plate or sack (i.e. 20% for conferences, 10% for retreat, 20%for church maintenaince, 10% for charitable activities, 20% for spreading the gospel, 20% for executive pay). Have you ever considered taking control of your act of charity by giving directly to the needy or through institutions like motherless babies home, NGOs, UNICEF e.t.c while supporting church activities.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Zikkyy(m): 10:53pm On Oct 07, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

I disagree with this. By storehouse i believe you meant “church bank account”. God is not "taking care of his storehouse", the tithe that was kept in the temple’s storehouse in OT was meant for distribution to the levites and their families and not for church expansion, retreats, conventions & funding luxurious expenditure of those that are already comfortable. You are aware of this fact, but if still confused go back and read your bible all over again. Pay attention to 2 Chronicles 31:4-19, Nehemiah 10:37-39, Nehemiah 12:44, Nehemiah 13:5-13. There are currently no levites in your church, the 10% of free-will donation you gave & kept in the “church bank account” can be used for these other church activities. Nobody is stoping you from giving 10% of your income to your church to swell up the content of the church bank account, but stop confusing/relating it to tithe in OT.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 8:59am On Oct 08, 2009
Zikkyy:

I disagree with this. By storehouse i believe you meant “church bank account”. God is not "taking care of his storehouse", the tithe that was kept in the temple’s storehouse in OT was meant for distribution to the levites and their families and not for church expansion, retreats, conventions & funding luxurious expenditure of those that are already comfortable. You are aware of this fact, but if still confused go back and read your bible all over again. Pay attention to 2 Chronicles 31:4-19, Nehemiah 10:37-39, Nehemiah 12:44, Nehemiah 13:5-13. There are currently no levites in your church, the 10% of free-will donation you gave & kept in the “church bank account” can be used for these other church activities. Nobody is stoping you from giving 10% of your income to your church to swell up the content of the church bank account, but stop confusing/relating it to tithe in OT.
That is apart from the fact that storehouse in the bible was actually a physicall one [and not bank account] were agricultural produce were stored for the feeding of the poor, needy, strangers and levites. The only reason levites were even included in this equation was becuase they were not allowed to work or own property. But today the mordern day impostors do other businesses[selling of tapes, books e.t.c] and own the best properties thereby disqualifying them from tithes even it it was still valid.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Zikkyy(m): 9:10am On Oct 08, 2009
KunleOshob:

That is apart from the fact that[b] storehouse in the bible was actually a physicall one [/b] [and not bank account] were agricultural produce were stored for the feeding of the poor, needy, strangers and levites. The only reason levites were even included in this equation was becuase they were not allowed to work or own property. But today the mordern day impostors do other businesses[selling of tapes, books e.t.c] and own the best properties thereby disqualifying them from tithes even it it was still valid.

I am begining to believe OLAADEGBU's church have a CBN sized vault in their church premises. This might possibly qualify as a store house (for cash).
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 3:09pm On Oct 09, 2009
KunleOshob:

@gentleidiot
Lets even assume becos of your deluded peanut sized brain that there are two types of tithes in the bible, is there any instruction in the bible to practise abraham's tithes to the Jews talkless of believeres who were nevere asked to tithe any type of tithes. It is pure 419 for any preacher to askanyone to tithe based on Abraham's one of example that he did of his on volition and not under any instruction from God. There is also no instruction to his descendants to repeat this his one off practise. Also the how does the tithe of cummin, mint and herbs[agricultural produce of the land] that Jesus spoke about to the pharisees have any semblance with the criminalized version of tithes from money or income which crooks preach today. Unto whose authority did they twist pruduce to mean money? Even the pharisses did not tithe of their money and they were the most "holy" in those days. That is apart from the fact that tithing is not applicable to christians as we have proven several times on this forum. I am still waiting for the "inspired" teacher that would come and twist why tithes as explained and practised in deut 14:22-29 was discontnued for our modern day version that as no semblance with the defunct biblical version.

Anytime i read Kunle's posts they xray a man with indepth strength(zeal)yet shallowLY applied knowledge (sensual wisdom)hmmmm Brother let me try to understand what your arguments are about

[li] You are saying you dont know the original hebrew/ aramaic interpretations/meaning and types of tithes,is it true? yet you choose to argue from no where, Kunle its often said that before you start arguing about something, you should have atleast some basic knowledge and evidence about what you want to claim as true or false else you'll be looked as funny.[/li]

[li]Your basic reason for opposing titheing is born out of how Men of God uses them,is it true? now i ask, should that be an issue for you to be concerned if not for God (the fair judge). I keep saying it time and time again that JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING IS WRONGLY APLLIED(ABUSED) DOESNT MEAN ITS ORIGIN IS WRONG IN ITSELF[/li]

[li]Are you also trying to say that because you have not come across any portion or interpretation of the bible that says Abraham's descendants tithed means it is not relevant, now i say, just becos you havent come across that portion isnt enough to say it never exist, havent you read where BIBLE SAYS THE LEVITES PAID TITHE THROUGH ABRAHAM'S LOINS, or dont tell me i should show you the scriptures again, now ask your self, if titheing was such a bad thing, then why would God require Abraham to tithe and hence his descendacts tithed too? hmmm [/li]

KunleOshob:

Also the how does the tithe of cummin, mint and herbs[agricultural produce of the land] that Jesus spoke about to the pharisees have any semblance with the criminalized version of tithes from money or income which crooks preach today.

[li] I chose to quote this part specifically, KunleOshod, your knowedge of God's word really needs attention, how do you study read your own bible? dont tell me you have just ONE TRANSLATION as a christian and then claim to understand the bible in its generality,i have explained here time and time again why crops was given as mode for titheing and i wont refer back again(the problem is all anti-tithers are so biased to either read my explanations or shy to see things as explained). but pls read that portion Jesus used in Matt.23:23[/li]

From New Living Translation it gives thus

23 "How terrible it will be for you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites![b]For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest part of your income,
but you ignore the important things of the law — justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but you should not leave undone the more important things
NLT[/b]

Now from this translation is there any part that talked of giving farm produce, as that's been your baseless arguments you coined from your protege(Chukwudi44) argument ever since cheesy cheesy, even of some other translations it puts it this way --- "you tithe of mint, cummin and so on, now simple english language of that statement will simply mean you tithe from the profits you make from mints,cummins and so on, or if i am wrong let a grammarian correct and explain better. Now let me ask you, in the OT was there any place that said we should give our offerings in moneys (currencies), answer is no, people who gave offering did so with bulls, goats, cows, rams, yet as of Jesus' time jews have started paying theirs in money (mint - old word for coin search the dictionary). Now since they gave in money their offerings, doesnt simple common sense tell u that they must have been giving their tithes in money too. muct i teach u everything?

KunleOshod, i have had enough laughter to your posts alreasy, let me stop here for now cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (41) (Reply)

Why Do Christians Ignore These Rules In The Bible? / Pastor Adeboye Kissing His Wife, Foluke (Photos) / "Your Colleagues Will Come To You For Food" - Adeboye's Prophecy Sparks Outrage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.